• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

Bread

Banned
I wonder if the Celtics owners (Danny Ainge?) could buy the Rockets and put the best players on Celtics.

IDk I'm not a lawyer but it could be cool

“He's baaaaaack #TheTruth” - @Celtics

DE9wTgOXcAIwt95

Paul Pierce Retires as a Boston Celtic

The Boston Celtics announced today that they have signed 10-time NBA All-Star and 19-year veteran Paul Pierce to a contract, enabling him to retire as a member of the organization with which he spent his first 15 NBA seasons.

“We’re honored that Paul has chosen to retire as a Celtic. He is among the very best Celtics – a champion on and off the court,” said Celtics governor and managing partner Wyc Grousbeck. “We congratulate Paul on a Hall of Fame career, and look forward to seeing his number raised to the rafters of TD Garden.”

"It's an honor to have this opportunity to once again call myself a Boston Celtic," Pierce said. "The organization and city took me in and made me one of their own, and I couldn’t imagine ending my career any other way. I’m a Celtic for life.”

20170717-d7200-_sli2093.jpg

Jarate

Banned
There was a reason I was really high on Ball before the draft. Him and Ben Simmons are the best passers I've seen coming out of college in a long time

I still have huge concerns about his ability to be a primary ballhandler though. He'll be deadly in transition, but I gotta wonder what his half court game will look like.

Sixers Summer League was so depressing once Fultz went down. Bolden and Korkmaz are fun to watch, but they had literally no playmakers on the offense.

Jarate

Banned
Rookie Guards this summer league have been insane. I'm still shocked the Bulls picked Markannen over DSJ, Malik Monk, Donovan Mitchell.

The Lakers are so lucky their pick conveyed this year. Adam Silver rigged the draft confirmed

Lonzo "The Next Devin Booker" Ball - Jarate

I said he was Devin Booker who can pass better. I still have massive concerns over him being the primary ballhandler in a half court set and still think his best role will to be a catch and shoot volume shooter guard in a half court set.

The only thing that's surprised me is his rebounding numbers, but I don't think Summer League is a good enough barometer of his NBA rebounding totals

FZZ

Banned
There was a reason I was really high on Ball before the draft. Him and Ben Simmons are the best passers I've seen coming out of college in a long time

I still have huge concerns about his ability to be a primary ballhandler though. He'll be deadly in transition, but I gotta wonder what his half court game will look like.

Sixers Summer League was so depressing once Fultz went down. Bolden and Korkmaz are fun to watch, but they had literally no playmakers on the offense.

He's actually gotten better at running half court every single game in SL

I have no more concerns about that

Only his on ball defense

Everything else he improved on each and every game

Jarate

Banned
He's actually gotten better at running half court every single game in SL

I have no more concerns about that

Only his on ball defense

Everything else he improved on each and every game

The concerns come from his lack of lateral speed and his bad pnr. There's a huge difference between Summer League and NBA guards. Lonzo is a really smart basketball player, and those are the kind of guys that feast in rec room ball like it is right now.

Now, obviously he could learn to drive in the NBA, but I still have concerns about his game.

Bread

Banned
I said he was Devin Booker who can pass better. I still have massive concerns over him being the primary ballhandler in a half court set and still think his best role will to be a catch and shoot volume shooter guard in a half court set.

The only thing that's surprised me is his rebounding numbers, but I don't think Summer League is a good enough barometer of his NBA rebounding totals
I know, that's why we all had a good laugh.

Booker is a volume scorer, Lonzo is a passer who takes open shots.

Slizeezyc

Also, still not sure if Devin Booker is even very goooooood. Feel like he's the worst player type to build a team around and give max money to.

Jarate

Banned

SUMMER LEAGUE HOT TAKES

I'm glad you already know what his game is like because he did well playing against fucking Melo Trimble

I'm fine with you having your opinion, and there's a chance we could both be wrong, or he develops other skills etc etc who fucking knows?

I don't see the problem with the comp tbh, you can be a prick about it but who fucking knows?

Also, still not sure if Devin Booker is even very goooooood. Feel like he's the worst player type to build a team around and give max money to.

He had a 70 point game in the NBA before he could legally drink

but but he scored 70 ptsssssssss

If it's so easy to do, I'm tons of people would have done it...

Slizeezyc

SUMMER LEAGUE HOT TAKES

I'm glad you already know what his game is like because he did well playing against fucking Melo Trimble

I'm fine with you having your opinion, and there's a chance we could both be wrong, or he develops other skills etc etc who fucking knows?

I don't see the problem with the comp tbh, you can be a prick about it but who fucking knows?

Relax man, just Trust The Process.

Anyone ever watched Devin Booker's 70-point game? It's such a gross amount of stat padding that even I would be ashamed to do something like that in NBA 2K.

Bread

Banned
SUMMER LEAGUE HOT TAKES

They're both light skinned, so they've got that similarity going for them.

I'm sure this was discussed earlier in the thread, but I'm curious so hopefully someone can enlighten me.

Why would the Cavs throw the taxpayer midlevel at Cedi Osman instead of, say, someone like Jamal Crawford? That's a valuable offer they could have used to add depth and it feels like they threw it away.

Jarate

Banned
They're both light skinned, so they've got that similarity going for them.

Yep totes mcgotes bro.

I'm sure this was discussed earlier in the thread, but I'm curious so hopefully someone can enlighten me.

Why would the Cavs throw the taxpayer midlevel at Cedi Osman instead of, say, someone like Jamal Crawford?

Maybe they like Cedi in the locker room over Crawford? Maybe they think Korber does what Crawford does?

They also don't have a GM right now too

Slizeezyc

Why would the Cavs throw the taxpayer midlevel at Cedi Osman instead of, say, someone like Jamal Crawford?

They only threw part of it at Osman. In either case, they're getting an all-offense, no defense player they don't need. Being able to get the younger player on the cheap probably doesn't hurt since they're already well into the tax and every dollar counts. Neither will be of any use against the Warriors so take your own guy and pay him a little less.

But they have no GM, so no real way to know what the reasoning is.

Sandfox

The concerns come from his lack of lateral speed and his bad pnr. There's a huge difference between Summer League and NBA guards. Lonzo is a really smart basketball player, and those are the kind of guys that feast in rec room ball like it is right now.

Now, obviously he could learn to drive in the NBA, but I still have concerns about his game.
The issue is more that he hasn't run the PnR rather than he can't. His sample size at UCLA was small due to their play style. He'll gain experience in the PnR as he runs it in the NBA. Dude is clearly gifted, so I expect him to be fine.

SUMMER LEAGUE HOT TAKES

It's not really a hot take unless both players completely change up their games.

Slizeezyc

The issue is more that he hasn't run the PnR rather than he can't. His sample size at UCLA was small due to their play style. He'll gain experience in the PnR as he runs it in the NBA. Dude is clearly gifted, so I expect him to be fine.

It's not really a hot take unless both players completely change up their games.

Yeah he's smart enough to figure out the pick and roll, it's more his garbage handle that will slow him up if anything in that aspect in the short term.

Why would the Cavs throw the taxpayer midlevel at Cedi Osman instead of, say, someone like Jamal Crawford? That's a valuable offer they could have used to add depth and it feels like they threw it away.

Because Jamal Crawford in 2017 is garbage?

Top Bottom