• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

jdstorm

Banned
That's some real nice cap room space, but who exactly are we hoping to land with it though? I mean, if LMA does leave, then I suppose we should chase after Cousins?

Otherwise, Kinda see a meh 2018 FA, with Bron Bron, Westbrook, & Paul George meeting with the Spurs then taking that offer to the Lakers or some shit like that. lol

Cousins + John Wall has an opt out

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/887462210196262912
Mark Berman said:
Hall of Fame center Dikembe Mutombo (@officialmutombo)hopes to put together a group that'll try & buy the #Rockets.

http://amp.fox26houston.com/sports/268731434-story
rivacy Policy Terms of Service Ad Choices Public File
© Copyright 2000 - 2016 Fox Television Stations, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Mutombo trying to put group together to buy the Rockets
By: Mark Berman
POSTED: JUL 18 2017 06:56PM CDT
UPDATED: JUL 18 2017 06:56PM CDT
HOUSTON - Hall of Fame center Dikembe Mutombo, who played the final five years of his career with the Houston Rockets and retired in 2009, said he is working on putting a group together that he hopes will try and buy the Rockets franchise.

Owner Leslie Alexander put the Rockets on the market on Monday.

"I'm working on it," Mutombo said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. "I'm talking to a lot of people already since (Monday). We'll see.

"I'm just talking to the people who can cut the check and they can make me be part of it. I'm working on that."

Mutombo said the people he is speaking with are receptive to the idea of attempting to purchase the Rockets franchise.

"A lot of people think it's a great thing," Mutombo said. "It's a great opportunity.

"Now it's just a question of the number," he said laughing. "There's going to be a lot of discussion and a lot of cash.

"I missed my opportunity two years ago with the Atlanta Hawks."

https://mobile.twitter.com/jonathan_feigen/status/887343869997744130
Jonathan Feigen said:
Mattress Mack expresses interest in buying Houston Rockets (link: http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets...on-Rockets-11296583.php?cmpid=twitter-desktop) chron.com/sports/rockets… via @houstonchron

http://abc13.com/sports/who-can-buy-the-rockets-look-at-potential-buyers/2227600/
With the international success of Hall of Famer Yao Ming, the Rockets remain a top team in Asia. Sources close to Ming told Eyewitness News that the former Rocket is interested in the team.

Hydrus

Ehh, so basically he wants others to pay for the team and give him a bit of ownership, while thinking he'll be able to call the shots. Sorry Mutombo, unless you got 200 - 300 million of your own money to pitch in, I don't see anyone wanting to work with you. Wouldn't surprise me if Yao and some Chinese investors buy them up.

Ehh, so basically he wants others to pay for the team and give him a bit of ownership, while thinking he'll be able to call the shots. Sorry Mutombo, unless you got 200 - 300 million of your own money to pitch in, I don't see anyone wanting to work with you. Wouldn't surprise me if Yao and some Chinese investors buy them up.
It doesn't need to be that way. Dikembe has been part of ownership negotiations beforehand. He might just want to take a more active role on the basketball side of things, or want to be a part of the group. Not necessarily calling the shots, but the one designated responsibility.

Dikembe and Yao also calm me down because they've worked with Morey and Tad Brown before and had good relationships with them.

In any case, I guess I should start hoping for a combined alliance of Dikembe, Hakeem, Yao, Travis Scott, fuck it even Mattress Mack, and all the investor friends, whether they be from China or Dikembe's connections or whatever XD

Which also brings up a weird conversation - are there any issues with Yao being the commissioner of the NBL in China and owner of the Shanghai sharks? It probably helps that Yao wants to take the NBL a little more out of the reach of the government and that he also wants to focus less on bad players from outside going into the NBL and more on developing talent within the league, but it would still be interesting

https://twitter.com/Rockets_Insider/status/887521983210147840
Alykhan Bijani said:
Could this be one of the #Rockets new Nike jerseys? (H/t @breylon_reed)
DFEciCXVoAEJ2qX

DFEciCfU0AAXWhY

For reference

It's definitely an improvement, looks cleaner, the sides look better. It'll do until new ownership comes in.

should go back to red, and yellow classics.

The story of how we moved from those beauties

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-definitive-nba-logo-rankings/#fn-4
Zach Lowe said:
The Rockets took the “subdued” thing too far, with perhaps the league’s plainest court design and a basic red-and-white color scheme. They break out the old McDonald’s red-and-yellow look several times per season, and there seems to be a groundswell for a return to that early-1990s style.

Houston decided to ditch that look around 1993, because the team’s owner, Leslie Alexander, thought it had become synonymous with losing, O’Grady remembers. Alexander wanted to start fresh and incorporate an actual rocket ship. And then, bam: Houston won back-to-back titles in their yellow-and-red duds, shattering their alleged connection with loserdom. The Rockets asked to reverse the branding change, but it was too late; the league sent them a seven-figure bill for all the merchandise they had already commissioned, and Houston relented, O’Grady says.

Definitely feels like the demand for the ketchup and mustard McDonald colors jerseys is pretty unanimous across most Rockets fans.

https://twitter.com/jjwatt/status/887093525376110592
JJ Watt said:
Whoever buys the Rockets, please bring back these uni's full time.
DE-W2uaUAAELMVl.jpg

Why would LeBron leave the east? Lol

Here's hoping Miami's end of the year magic wasn't smoke and mirrors and they stay whoppin fools when the season starts.

Here's hoping Miami's end of the year magic wasn't smoke and mirrors and they stay whoppin fools when the season starts.

At this point is there much difference in losing to the Warriors in the WCF as opposed to the Finals? Idiots give him shit about his Finals record anyway.

The main thing I have trouble thinking of is what teams have the space for him, moveable contracts to clear space for him.

In the East, there are the Sixers, Hawks, Bulls, and Cavs that I can think of. In the West, it's the Lakers, Mavs, maybe Spurs if LMA opts out.

The only way I see the Hawks happening is if he goes with another star or two. Bulls seem like a no. Cavs seem to just keep giving him excuses to leave. Sixers would require a healthy year from Embiid and a decent playoff showing imo, but maybe it does happen?!

Spurs honestly seem like a very possible prospect.

Tall4Life

At this point is there much difference in losing to the Warriors in the WCF as opposed to the Finals? Idiots give him shit about his Finals record anyway.

If he gets past the West he can easily beat whatever team's in the East (unless its the Olynyk Heat).

But if he's in the West then he has to fight way harder competition every round

I personally hope he does go to the Lakers and father time catches up to him so he gets destroyed while the Lakers continue to get bad draft position for a while

FZZ

Banned
If LeBron comes to the Lakers Lonzo and Bron will be the greatest duo in NBA history

for two seasons before LeBron begins aging like milk

The main thing I have trouble thinking of is what teams have the space for him, moveable contracts to clear space for him.

In the East, there are the Sixers, Hawks, Bulls, and Cavs that I can think of. In the West, it's the Lakers, Mavs, maybe Spurs if LMA opts out.

The only way I see the Hawks happening is if he goes with another star or two. Bulls seem like a no. Cavs seem to just keep giving him excuses to leave. Sixers would require a healthy year from Embiid and a decent playoff showing imo, but maybe it does happen?!

Spurs honestly seem like a very possible prospect.

I can't imagine Lebron playing for Pop

Cornbread78

lol

Lebron gives his wife and family the life of a king, he doesn't need to go to LA to make her happy.

Of course he doesn't "need" to technically, but if that's what she wants, it's a different story.

Do you know how much stupid $hit I've had to buy and do over the years for my wife, just because I wanted to make/keep her happy, or it's just something she wanted?

It's brutal....

RootCause

"Lebron is trying to protect his finals record. What a coward"

Hope he goes out west. Lakers, Houston, or Spurs. Don't matter, just end Lebron's reign of the east. I want a chance to compete in the east.

The story of how we moved from those beauties

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-definitive-nba-logo-rankings/#fn-4

Definitely feels like the demand for the ketchup and mustard McDonald colors jerseys is pretty unanimous across most Rockets fans.

https://twitter.com/jjwatt/status/887093525376110592

Now that's a tragic story.

Those look nice. Though , I'm not sure about the black on the away jersey. Black alt looks good.

El Topo

You mean bad players and good players have won it!?! It's almost like there is zero correlation despite how badly you want there to be!

I'm not quite sure how one could ever take a tongue-in-cheek comment on a recent bad streak as a legitimate belief in correlation between winning Summer League MVP and flopping at the NBA.
Like, why in the world would one even try to read a statistical correlation into such an incredibly small pool of data in the first place? How could someone believe that?

Bread

Banned
There's no way Lebron would ever go west, he has one of the all-time great conference finals records. Why would he risk that?

Top Bottom