• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

Tall4Life

I mean you can't possibly believe this, right? Unless they somehow get a good return for Kyrie, which is unlikely as shit considering he fucking requested a trade so you should expect someone like Carmelo or LMAo, it makes the Cavs considerably worse and I say that as someone who believes Kyrie is one of the 5 worst defenders in the NBA.

Requesting a trade doesn't mean anything in terms of diminishing his trade value. He wasn't rumored all year to want to go to a specific team like George.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I don't know about that. If Kawhi and Tony Parker don't get injured this past postseason we may very well have seen the Spurs in the Finals against the Cavs.
Yup. That one half though. That one half. Spurs weren't beating the Dubs 4 times. Not a chance.

This Kyrie news is huge. Best offseason ever. I'm rooting for him to go to the Spurs. Pop would do wonders for his game.

RootCause

Ha! What an unexpected twist. Lebron must be shook.

Yup. That one half though. That one half. Spurs weren't beating the Dubs 4 times. Not a chance.

This Kyrie news is huge. Best offseason ever. I'm rooting for him to go to the Spurs. Pop would do wonders for his game.
Assuming he falls in line. Which seems to be at odds with the reason for asking for the trade.
Either way, it looks like the east might be winnable this year.

Slizeezyc

How KNICKS-y would it be for them to luck into Kyrie for Melo after just bungling everything forever -- it obviously ends with the Knicks fans hyping themselves far too much before failing, but that's a given. I don't see the Cavs doing this, for the record.

plus

How KNICKS-y would it be for them to luck into Kyrie for Melo after just bungling everything forever -- it obviously ends with the Knicks fans hyping themselves far too much before failing, but that's a given. I don't see the Cavs doing this, for the record.

it would be knicksy if we traded KP and a first for kyrie (no protections because what is that???) while keeping melo instead

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
You for real? That team is absolute trash. Waiters was a mess, TT had no basketball skills, and the rest are bench filler.

Put Lebron in Kyries spot on this roster and even he couldn't take this squad to the 8th seed.

Would you take that roster, or the one Lebron carried to to the Finals?

2007:

Shannon Brown
Drew Gooden
Larry Hughes
Ilgauskas
Damon Jones
Donyell Marshal
Ira Newble
Eric Snow
Varejao
Sasha Pavlovic

vs

2012:

Trisran Thompson
CJ Miles
Dion Waiters
Shaun Livingston
Ramon Sessions
Luke Walton
Antawn Jamison
Varejao
Casspi
Anthony Parker

Keep it real. We're talking about the 8th seed IN THE EAST.

Bread

Banned
2012, obviously. I don't understand how that has any relevance though because no one has ever compared Kyrie to Lebron. You asked how many top 15 players would take that team to the playoffs and I'd say probably 2.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Lebron not going to get involved:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ene-cleveland-cavaliers-decision-kyrie-irving

LeBron James intends to let the Cleveland Cavaliers front office and owner Dan Gilbert take the lead in dealing with Kyrie Irving's trade demands, sources told ESPN.

Both the franchise and James were rocked when Irving asked the team to trade him last week. James was informed after Irving told the Cavaliers and was unaware of the guard's feelings, sources said.

As the Cavs consider their options, sources said James has expressed to the team that he is focused on his offseason workout regimen and is planning to report to training camp with the intention of leading his teammates to a fourth consecutive Finals -- no matter who those teammates are.

Would you take that roster, or the one Lebron carried to to the Finals?

2007:

Shannon Brown
Drew Gooden
Larry Hughes
Ilgauskas
Damon Jones
Donyell Marshal
Ira Newble
Eric Snow
Varejao
Sasha Pavlovic

vs

2012:

Trisran Thompson
CJ Miles
Dion Waiters
Shaun Livingston
Ramon Sessions
Luke Walton
Antawn Jamison
Varejao
Casspi
Anthony Parker

Keep it real. We're talking about the 8th seed IN THE EAST.
To be fair the east in 07 was a worse wasteland than it will be this year and 2012 was the best the east has been post Jordan's Bulls.

Tommy DJ

Would Kyrie even work in the Spurs system? Dude is a Ball HOG

The Spurs system is win games.

Their system is that everyone shuts up and buys into whatever the front office plans to do. The high passing ball game wasn't something the Spurs always did. When Duncan was in his prime, the game was "pass Duncan the ball, let him kick the ball out if he's doubled".

The Spurs desperately need a reliable starting second option that can score. In theory, Danny Green and Larmarcus Aldridge are meant to offer these things but both can get so inconsistent that sometimes Kawhi becomes the offense.

Kickz

Funny thing is Kyrie doesn't like playing in Brons shadow but next season Bron gonna be deferring to Zo in LA anyways

😂😂😂😂

I can already see the press conference next year when Bron signs with Lakers

"This is Zo's team"

🐐

Gonna have 4 TD passes minimum per game

Chino Hills basketball coming to LA baby

Bron and Zo fast breaks

While Lavar, Magic and OJ laugh on the sidelines

giphy.gif

Zukkoyaki

What about the Jazz?

Irving being paired with all of those great defenders as the main scoring option with a great coach...

Not sure who they would send back though. You would have to imagine Mitchell would be in any package. Maybe Mitchell + Favors and a pick?

Riley "washed" but Miami stays in big player conversations. I'm cool with Kyrie coming if He's cool with backing up The Dragon. If not he can kick rocks.

Jarate

Banned
What about the Jazz?

Irving being paired with all of those great defenders as the main scoring option with a great coach...

Not sure who they would send back though. You would have to imagine Mitchell at minimum. Maybe Mitchell + Favors and a pick?

Maybe Mitchell + Exum + Salary Cap player?

Kickz

@tomhaberstroh
Just gonna leave this here ... Cavs with Kyrie Irving ON, LeBron James OFF last season: -120 in 635 minutes.
3:05 PM - 21 Jul 2017

Kyrie the flatEarther gonna expose his NBA image as a career loser

Kyrie is a great scorer but w/ Bron he's a high usage guy with non existent D. He's a step below John Wall on the great player hierarchy. LeBron is the best thing that ever happened to him.

Kickz

Lebron should just take the first 10 games of the season off. Let Kyrie be "the guy" and when they start 3-7 everything will be cool again

Not to mention he is injury prone as well, he would probably be injured from carrying the team before that 10 games ended.

LeBron is the best thing to happen to him

Slizeezyc

I think a Melo and pick(s) trade for Kyrie makes some semblance of sense in that the Cavs can at least get going on their rebuild in quick fashion if Bron bounces next year. They're out one protected first (1-10) to the Hawks and three seconds so they're asset weak right now -- as one would expect doing everything to compete now.

If Knicks give up at least one unprotected or very lightly protected pick, I don't think you'll do much better in serving both short and long-term goals than that. The Spurs won't give their pick in that sense, and Danny Green/LMA both are a year away from opt-out chances as well.

Tall4Life

Those teams with Kyrie as the lead with TT as the #2 were dreadful. Don't know what he's thinking.

Dude, he was a goddamn rookie/young ass player. Almost no one except the absolute superstar god kings can have a great immediate impact. People like Jordan, LeBron. And even then, it took them a few years to morph into who they are. Kyrie's playing history before LeBron came is irrelevant to how well he'll do now on another team.

And really, same for his time for the Cavs. The Cavs were built around LeBron, not Kyrie. They're designed to be a bit slower and move around LeBron. Kyrie is more of a fast-pace player. We don't know how he'll perform until we see it.

Requesting a trade doesn't mean anything in terms of diminishing his trade value. He wasn't rumored all year to want to go to a specific team like George.

It doesn't help the trade value. If you wanted Kyrie before this happened you would have to offer quite a king's ransom to the Cavs. If you want him now the talks begin with a lowball offer. It's not impossible the Cavs pull off a good deal out of this, but considering the summer they had I wouldn't hold my breath.

Tall4Life

It doesn't help the trade value. If you wanted Kyrie before this happened you would have to offer quite a king's ransom to the Cavs. If you want him now the talks begin with a lowball offer. It's not impossible the Cavs pull off a good deal out of this, but considering the summer they had I wouldn't hold my breath.

Ok... how was he supposed to signify that he would be fine with/would like a trade then? Secret hand signals? Because otherwise the Cavs won't do anything with him as they think he'll be a lifelong.

Tom Penny

Knicks are the perfect fit. He will get empty stats win nothing but be entertaining. A newer version of the guy they will be trading him for.

Top Bottom