• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

He was the worst defender in the league last year who doesn't actually help his teammates on either end of the court. He's a volume scorer. They're banking on him making the other parts of his game not suck when theres been zero reason to think he'll suddenly be better at it.

An extension makes sense for the Wolves at the right price point... the max isnt it. He might be good some day but hes not right now. He's still young and maybe he'll develop some more.

The idea that the Cavs would have been better off with him the last 3 years doesn't make any sense.

It makes plenty of sense. He's basically told he has the green light to shoot at will. Like many other great scorers in the league the moment they start chucking at that rate their defensive production goes down. These guys save all their energy for offense. Guys like Harden, Derozan, Westbrook and Wiggins all use to play D at some point until they became the focal point of the offense. It's like an unwritten rule in the NBA for scorers.

Looking at the roster when Lebron 1st signed they wouldn't have been anywhere near the cap situation they're currently in if they never completed that Wiggins for Love deal

How would it be different? Would they have not extended Kyrie? Would they have not resigned JR? Would they have not traded for Korver? Would the have not extended Thompson? You can't really have these alternate reality arguments where things would have been different just because you say so.

Servbot24

Banned
It makes plenty of sense. He's basically told he has the green light to shoot at will. Like many other great scorers in the league the moment they start chucking at that rate their defensive production goes down. These guys save all their energy for offense. Guys like Harden, Derozan, Westbrook and Wiggins all use to play D at some point until they became the focal point of the offense. It's like an unwritten rule in the NBA for scorers.

Also why guys like KD, Kawhi and even PG are so valuable beyond their obvious skillsets

How would it be different? Would they have not extended Kyrie? Would they have not resigned JR? Would they have not traded for Korver? Would the have not extended Thompson? You can't really have these alternate reality arguments where things would have been different just because you say so.

Yes you can because any GM would've filled out the roster with the money that would've been allocated to KLove to other players to form a balanced roster instead of taking on over the hill vets for the minimum.

Gigglepoo

When did this become a referendum on Wiggins? My point was that the Cavs twice went into win-now mode with LeBron and it hurt them long-term. Wiggins is just one small part of those decisions. There's trading endless first round picks, signing guys like Larry Hughs and JR Smith to massive contracts, and every other desperate attempt to be relevant today while ignoring the future. It's an unsustainable strategy and why LeBron keeps bolting from team to team.

Yes you can because any GM would've filled out the roster with the money that would've been allocated to KLove to other players to form a balanced roster instead of taking on over the hill vets for the minimum.

Again, that is not how the cap works. You just can't take Loves money and use it on other players.

Bread

Banned
When did this become a referendum on Wiggins? My point was that the Cavs twice went into win-now mode with LeBron and it hurt them long-term. Wiggins is just one small part of those decisions. There's trading endless first round picks, signing guys like Larry Hughs and JR Smith to massive contracts, and every other desperate attempt to be relevant today while ignoring the future. It's an unsustainable strategy and why LeBron keeps bolting from team to team.
Success in the NBA is fleeting. If you have Lebron and you aren't putting all your eggs into the win now basket, you're being foolish. Will this hurt them long term? Absolutely. But they will never be in a better position to win again.

It seems like you want to have your cake and eat it too.

I get how the cap works. You are just ignoring the most obvious point I was making to combat my argument. It is what it is though. I'll just drop it.

Your point is reliant on the cap not working the way it does. Had they never traded for Love, they'd still be over the cap, unless you think that they wouldn't have resigned Kyrie, JR and TT.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...unction-surrounding-kyrie-irving-trade-demand

It's pretty crazy that the Cavs went from thinking they had a Kyrie/PG/Bron core and a real puncher's chance against Golden St. to flaming wreckage all in a 3 week span.
The Warriors straight up broke em lmao.. The guy's tweet about the blown 3-1 lead but they blew yo franchise is one of the most brutal (true) tweets I've seen in some time. I'm expecting a sweep next year if both teams meet in the final and are injury free.

Feel bad for Draymond.

He tried Conor and Conor destroyed him.
I don't. Enjoyed watching Conor destroy him. Dray is way too arrogant

Your point is reliant on the cap not working the way it does. Had they never traded for Love, they'd still be over the cap, unless you think that they wouldn't have resigned Kyrie, JR and TT.

Kyrie would've obviously been resigned and I highly doubt they would've traded for JR and Shumpert but then again that goes with your whole assumptions argument. It would've freed the team up to make more balanced trades with the players on the roster to get guys that actually fit the style of play they wanted to play.

mjp2417

Banned
That's a stretch. Wiggins is a solid player. Compare him to Kobe at his age and he's ahead of him statistically. People shit on Wiggins because he's in a market with little TV coverage.

Kobe wasn't just a solid player during his age 21 season. He was the second best player on a championship team. Also, Wiggins is ahead of Kobe statistically in the same way that DeMar Derozan was ahead of LeBron James statistically this season. He has more points per game. That's it. Wiggins' advanced metrics are pretty horrific.

Trading Wiggins, they got a ring.

Not trading Wiggins, who knows what they have.

Take the ring.

They won. That made it the right move. If they were sitting here 0-3, then it's a different conversation.

bionic77

Don't play coy buddy. We all know your laughing knowing he is going to be a Laker next year along with PG13, Wade, etc. Maybe even Westbrook will take a 1 year discount to join to party,

I expect so much nonsense in the upcoming off season that would make this crazy offseason blush. They are all gunning to put a stop to Durant's "bit(h made" chips and Durant's "team friendly" contract.....

The base of it is that LeBron is leaving next season, Kyrie knows it and he doesn't want to get stuck in the subsequent $hitstorm that will follow. I don't blame him one bit here.. Robin has to grow on his own (and be horribly exposed for his total lack of D)
I got no problem with another LA superteam.

rambis

Banned
The Warriors straight up broke em lmao.. The guy's tweet about the blown 3-1 lead but they blew yo franchise is one of the most brutal (true) tweets I've seen in some time. I'm expecting a sweep next year if both teams meet in the final and are injury free.

.....I don't see how the Warriors are motivating this?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
What do OKC have to offer? Assuming no WB and PG, and there's a huge drop-off after that.

Why would it take much? Knicks want to move on, Melo has a no trade clause (does he even want to go to OKC?). I don't think it'd take more than Kanter and a protected pick honestly.

jdstorm

Banned
Simmons says thiers a possible deal between OKC and NYK for Melo. Thoughts?

Seems unlikely given their respective Assets. Only thing i can think of that OKC might do is Adams + Kanter + filler for Melo, Noah and Porzingis.

Re OKCs assets.

They owe 2 future first round picks already so likely wont trade any picks other then Ferguson's rights. They won't trade Abrines because they just traded Oladipo in part because they liked Abrines potential.

OKCs main trade assets in any Melo Deal would be Adams, Kanter, Doug McDermott and the rights to terrance ferguson. I can't see NY taking a deal revolving around any of those players.

Kickz

They should make that WIggins trade 100/100 times because they won a championship.

No one gives a fuck about the next rebuild when it comes to championships

bionic77

:lol @ people think Melo will bring anyone a ring.

He plays ISO but is not good enough to win playing that way and is a big hole on defense.

Losers lose and that is what Melo and to a lesser extent Chris Paul are.

TTG

he's 37 and they're paying him 16 mill a year, doesn't this hamper their plans for 2018 if they want to go for two max contract free agents?

I feel like there's only a handful of teams Pau wouldn't start on and following his career(well starting with LA) it seems he makes the teams he's on better with his presence. And now he's got a 3. Unless he falls apart health wise, but that must be a risk they're gonna live with.

That being said, I don't know what SA's plans are. Are you saying they want to pull a Miami and only have like 2 people under contract for 2018?

This is insane.
DFiUh3_WAAILBHR.jpg:large

Top Bottom