• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

Jarate

Banned
I think Portland may improve again this year. The team really likes each other. There's magic afoot.
I'd expect them too after the hit the Thunder took loosing Durant

There's only like 5 maybe good teams in the West (I'm considering the Rockets one right now) The rest of the conference is really not that good (Grizzlies might do well this year)

Portland ain't winning a chip though, but they could get the 3rd seed if Injuries happen

Marz

There's only like 5 maybe good teams in the West (I'm considering the Rockets one right now) The rest of the conference is really not that good (Grizzlies might do well this year)

Portland ain't winning a chip though, but they could get the 3rd seed if Injuries happen

Utah gonna be good this year.

Cornbread78

Wait, here's my popular cynical view:

It's a 2 team league.

They should have a second East vs, West series for 3rd and 4th place to give those other teams a chance, lol.

Jarate

Banned
Utah gonna be good this year.

People say this every year. Unless Exum turns into an elite player, I don't think they'll get more then 45 wins. They could prove me wrong though

Wait, here's my popular cynical view:

It's a 2 team league.

They should have a second East vs, West series for 3rd and 4th place, lol.

4 team league

Warriors, Cavs, Spurs, and maybe uif they are healthy and not chokers, then the Clippers.

Although injuries could open up the rest of the league, and players can become superstars that we didnt expect.

Cornbread78

People say this every year. Unless Exum turns into an elite player, I don't think they'll get more then 45 wins. They could prove me wrong though

4 team league

Warriors, Cavs, Spurs, and maybe uif they are healthy and not chokers, then the Clippers.

Although injuries could open up the rest of the league, and players can become superstars that we didnt expect.

Do you really think anyone is going to contend with the Warriors as long as they stay healthy? Adding Durant onto that team made them almost untouchable, imo...

Warriors>Spurs>Clips>Jaz/Rockets

The Cavs are clearly the beasts of the east, then a big drop-off after that with

Cavs > Celts/ Pacers > Hawks/Knicks/Raps right behind them.

Dark horse teams to be competitive (imo) are the Magic and Timberwolves...

I think they should do a second series for 3rd and 4th place to make it interesting, lol.

Jarate

Banned
The big question is depth and if adding Durant can play offball and play within the system.

I think the Warriors are by far the best team right now, but depth is a huge thing for the Warriors this season.

Celtics are ranked #3 in the ESPN's Future Power Rankings behind only the Warriors and Cavs.

Ct23PjPW8AA5L_i.jpg

Bread

Banned
will the raptors even make the playoff this year?

every other east team has passed them by imo, they lost their best offensive scorer in biyombo and also their best defender and rebounder in biyombio.

will the raptors even make the playoff this year?

every other east team has passed them by imo, they lost their best offensive scorer in biyombo and also their best defender and rebounder in biyombio.

Depends on how much you fear a Skinny Jared Sullinger as our starting PF?

Cornbread78

Depends on how much you fear a Skinny Jared Sullinger as our starting PF?

That just doesn't sound right. He will forever be "Fatty a$$" Sully, lol

I totally forgot them, but they will be fighting in that third tier right behind IND/BOS.

I think IND made the biggest jump this off-season by adding some really good offensive depth and impact players to help out. The Celts added Horford, but they will still be hurting without a big defensive presence in the middle (IMO), Horford is going to get a ton of looks for his mid-range jumper, but they need a banger/stopper

I say that, but on the flip-side, if Oly can stay healthy and spreads the floor with Horford, then (Amir to a lesser degree) Celts could be pretty deadly with dribble penetration with Thomas, Bradley, Brown and Smart either taking the lay-ups of dishing out wide open jumpers to those two.

Bread

Banned
IMO the Warriors are the favorites to win the title, they had a low key great offseason. The next best team is probably the Knicks. Adding an MVP AND a defensive player of the year to their already stacked roster was fantastic and they quietly had a low key great offseason.

Fjordson

I do worry about center for the Dubs. Zaza is a nice player, but I feel like they're asking a lot of him.

Last year we had Bogut, Ezeli, Speights and Draymond. And even that was a bit lacking when it wasn't Draymond. Now it's basically Zaza, Draymond and maybe someone else pans out? And while Draymond is great at center, it's not something they can lean on too heavily.

Dubs are so desperate for minutes at center that Javale McGee is probably gonna make the team. And there's always Anderson Varejao waiting in the wings to fuck up.

Bread

Banned
You're talking shit about Anderson Varejao the guy with the 2016 NBA Championship Ring?

Cavs couldn't have won it last year without him.

Servbot24

Banned
My not-so-hot take going into the new season: Curry is better than Lebron.

This was practically an accepted fact of life last season until the last 7 games. They were the most important 7 games for sure, but it's simply the standard day-to-day deviation that every player will experience, exaggerated to the negative by injury in this case. I don't believe for a second that Curry is less clutch in general than Lebron, given the history of both players.

That said he can't let that happen again.

Chase17

IMO the Warriors are the favorites to win the title, they had a low key great offseason. The next best team is probably the Knicks. Adding an MVP AND a defensive player of the year to their already stacked roster was fantastic and they quietly had a low key great offseason.

I think you are are overlooking the Bulls, the had a low key great offseason. They seem to be the only team in the league that understand the correlation between 3 point shooting and winning.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I do worry about center for the Dubs. Zaza is a nice player, but I feel like they're asking a lot of him.

Last year we had Bogut, Ezeli, Speights and Draymond. And even that was a bit lacking when it wasn't Draymond. Now it's basically Zaza, Draymond and maybe someone else pans out? And while Draymond is great at center, it's not something they can lean on too heavily.

Dubs are so desperate for minutes at center that Javale McGee is probably gonna make the team. And there's always Anderson Varejao waiting in the wings to fuck up.

Let's trade Gasol and David Lee for Durant! You'd be fine with that for a center right?

This was practically an accepted fact of life last season until the last 7 games. They were the most important 7 games for sure, but it's simply the standard day-to-day deviation that every player will experience, exaggerated to the negative by injury in this case. I don't believe for a second that Curry is less clutch in general than Lebron, given the history of both players.

I still think LeBron and KD are both better players than Curry.

Bread

Banned
You're right. The Bulls picked up two big game players to go along with Jim Butler. We'll have to see how well their games will mesh, since none of the three could be considered ball dominance. When it gets to crunch time which player will want the ball?

Warriors biggest weakness has always been getting destroyed on the boards by Tristin Thompson
But now

They will just exploit pick and rolls with Steph guarding lebron but those dummy warriors coaches - including 🐐 Walton didn't once try letting lebron shoot 3's instead of switching , just have Iggy fight the screen and if lebron beats you from 3 hats off to him but I'd rather do that than have Steph foul him or have an automatic 2 happen.

It's still crazy that if Draymond didn't have a monster game 7 the Warriors would have lost by 10+ , potentially blown out.
Lol Steph X Klay were like 3 or 4 out of 20 from 3 combined
Smh idiots had the title but lol being down huge in game 6
SHOOK

Warriors biggest weakness has always been getting destroyed on the boards by Tristin Thompson
But now

They will just exploit pick and rolls with Steph guarding lebron but those dummy warriors coaches - including 🐐 Walton didn't once try letting lebron shoot 3's instead of switching , just have Iggy fight the screen and if lebron beats you from 3 hats off to him but I'd rather do that than have Steph foul him or have an automatic 2 happen.

It's still crazy that if Draymond didn't have a monster game 7 the Warriors would have lost by 10+ , potentially blown out
Lol Steph X Klay were like 3 or 4 out of 20 from 3 combined
Smh idiots had the title but lol being down huge in game 6
SHOOK

Would KD still have gone to the Warriors had they beat the Cavs?

No.
*puts on tin foil hat*

He'd come to the Celtics due to Brady the god
The Celtics were cursed last season , Thunder over achieved by beating the Spurs and going up 3-1 to the Warriors , that sealed it ;)

Also Love was automatically going to the C's had the cavs lost due to trading the 3rd pick for love
I'm pretty sure losing 4-1 X losing at full strength to the same team would have broken lebron , he would have done anything.

Ainge mad

rambis

Banned

Lebron regularly tanks during the regular season though, for a while now. Curry's biggest flaw is that he's somewhat one-dimensional or even sloppy when the shots aren't falling

I still think LeBron and KD are both better players than Curry.

I agree. Not alot of sample size for sure but I feel like KD would be a more sturdy bet deep into the playoffs than Curry. Even if KD's shot is off he still has significant physical advantages over most players who would guard him.

Fjordson

Curry's easily been the best player the last two seasons, especially last year. But what Lebron did in the playoffs tells me that he's just coasting during the regular season to stay fresh. I thought he lost a step, but seems like it's more a case of him saving his energy.

I think I'd put Curry second behind Lebron because of that ceiling that Lebron can still hit when he wants to. It's close, though.

Tough to say, but no, don't think so. And if Klay hadn't gone off in game 6 the previous round he probably doesn't come either.

Curry's easily been the best player the last two seasons, especially last year. But what Lebron did in the playoffs tells me that he's just coasting during the regular season to stay fresh. I thought he lost a step, but seems like it's more a case of him saving his energy.

I think I'd put Curry second behind Lebron because of that ceiling that Lebron can still hit when he wants to. It's close, though.

Tough to say, but no, don't think so. And if Klay hadn't gone off in game 6 the previous round he probably doesn't come either.

If Lebron doesn't fix his jumpshot issues, he won't win another ring again.

Fjordson

If Lebron doesn't fix his jumpshot issues, he won't win another ring again.
That is a problem but man...after this past finals I just can't count out Lebron until he's retired. I was so certain GS was going to close it out in 5 or 6 games and then suddenly...they didn't. Sure Curry's injury contributed to that, but Lebron was so incredible in his own right. I won't believe it until I see it as far as him finally slowing down.

Bread

Banned
I also considered the Warriors favorites this past season, which many people disagreed with. I accept that I was wrong to pick them, they simply weren't ready to compete at the highest level.

Now that they picked up some nice role players I think they might have a chance.

Servbot24

Banned
I also considered the Warriors favorites this past season, which many people disagreed with. I accept that I was wrong to pick them, they simply weren't ready to compete at the highest level.

Now that they picked up some nice role players I think they might have a chance.

Is this a troll account? Literally everyone on the planet that wasn't overly loyal to the competition assumed GSW would win, and win easily. They were utterly unstoppable before Curry got injured.

Also, you were right to pick GSW. Didn't turn out in their favor, but they were clearly the more likely pick.

Edit: Ah, nevermind. Clearly a joke post

Jarate

Banned
Also, they have the Celtics over the Sixer's in terms of draft picks? That's interesting, the nets swap is 2 more drafts right? Or is it just 1 more draft?

You people should doubt Bread at your own risk. This guy knows his stuff, he's the guy who told me, before the playoffs even started, that it was going to be the Warriors and Cavs in the finals last year.

Also, they have the Celtics over the Sixer's in terms of draft picks? That's interesting, the nets swap is 2 more drafts right? Or is it just 1 more draft?

They get to swap picks next year and then the C's own their pick outright in 2018.

Bread

Banned
This smear campaign by BG has got to stop. I was bigly into BeCleving from the start. My brain told me Warriors would overcome their youth and talent to win, but my heart told me Cleveland championship.

Servbot24

Banned
The fate of OKC doesn't really matter anymore, it's just about watching Westbrook. They're pretty much the superior version of the Rockets.

Jarate

Banned
The Spurs lost last year to a yurop team

PRESEASON MEANS LITERALLY NOTHING

Basically those European players are playing as hard as they possibly could while the American teams are trying as hard as possible to not get injured at all.

Top Bottom