• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC News: U.S. May Launch Strike If North Korea Reaches For Nuclear Trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you so convinced that NK will attack the US (thus committing immediate mass suicide)? You take it as a matter of faith and thus are hell bent on starting a war at some point. Because you consider your future speculation a fact.

Why do shooter who do mass shootings end up killing themselves after?

Way to go not reading my post. I never said he's gonna turn NK into some kind of utopia.

Will he try to get some stuff? Maybe.
But as long as SK is under a nuclear umbrella they can say fuck off if they want to.

But then doesn't that undermine the whole purpose of NK nuclear ambitions? If your main bargaining chip in a negotiation is the use or threatened use of force and your opponent calls your bluff where do you go from there?

Xando

But then doesn't that undermine the whole purpose of NK nuclear ambitions? If your main bargaining chip in a negotiation is the use or threatened use of force and your opponent calls your bluff where do you go from there?
You either decide to go double down on your bluff or you back down because doubling down will be too costly.

I have yet to see any proof that Kim is some suicidal psychopath that would rather get himself nuked than live a happy life as some 3rd world dictator.

North Korea is not a school shooter. In fact they've started zero wars after original post-WW2 conflict.
Yeah, I think some people need to consult Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_relations_of_North_Korea. It's spelled out simply for us:

According to Article 17 of the North Korean Constitution, "independence, peace, and solidarity are the basic ideals of the foreign policy and the principles of external activities of the DPRK". Furthermore, "the state shall establish diplomatic as well as political, economic and cultural relations with all friendly countries, on principles of complete equality, independence, mutual respect, noninterference in each other's affairs, and mutual benefit".
At this point, I have no idea what mental picture some people have of North Korea.

Way to go not reading my post. I never said he's gonna turn NK into some kind of utopia.

Will he try to get some stuff? Maybe.
But as long as SK is under a nuclear umbrella they can say fuck off if they want to.

The nature of a dictatorship isn't one of mutual disagreement. He *has* to do something eventually, he has to keep the hysteria of the general public at boiling point.

What dictactors out there don't end up making some kind of aggressive play?

Vlad is chomping at Ukraine and in the Mid East.

Assad is at the later stage of the dictatorship process undergoing the "people have had enough" phase.

You either drum beat for war, or your own people consume you, unless you kill them all first. Ergo all dictatorships.

Let's be clear here, there is no possibility whatsoever that N.Korea doesn't continue to escalate and destabilise in someway.

I struggle to find a functional dictatorship that isn't warlike. Maybe in Africa.

TarNaru33

Banned
Why are you so convinced that NK will attack the US (thus committing immediate mass suicide)? You take it as a matter of faith and thus are hell bent on starting a war at some point. Because you consider your future speculation a fact.

I never said nor do I believe NK would attack U.S even if they did get a nuke. At most all I see them doing is selling nuclear information (as they have been before), I doubt they would even sell a miniaturized nuke to someone they believe would use it on U.S or it's allies. I wonder who will be willing to stop and board a ship of a ICBM capable NK to stop proliferation attempts...

Who knows how their policy will change if they did get the capability to do so.

I said before, I fully believe in non-proliferation. Allowing one country for "reasons" to obtain nukes, sets a precedent. Just as I believe allowing everyone and anyone buy a gun is foolish, so too is letting everyone obtain nukes, because it only increases the likelihood of someone using it.

You either decide to go double down on your bluff or you back down because doubling down will be too costly.

I have yet to see any proof that Kim is some suicidal psychopath that would rather get himself nuked than live a happy life as some 3rd world dictator.

Which in either case would seem like a huge loss for North Korea. Where doubling down would likely lead to an armed conflict and result in the end of the regime, or lose all face in negotiations with the outside world, which could result in the loss of support for Kim from his regime followers. Now Kim isn't some ISIS stylized psychopath who would use these weapons the moment he has them this we can agree on. However the acquisition of feasible nuclear weapons on the part of the North Koreans dramatically raises the stakes in a situation where a group or groups of persons can find themselves in a lose lose situation.

I never said nor do I believe NK would attack U.S even if they did get a nuke. At most all I see them doing is selling nuclear information (as they have been before), I doubt they would even sell a miniaturized nuke to someone they believe would use it on U.S or it's allies. I wonder who will be willing to stop and board a ship of a ICBM capable NK to stop proliferation attempts...

Who knows how their policy will change if they did get the capability to do so.

I said before, I fully believe in non-proliferation. Allowing one country for "reasons" to obtain nukes, sets a precedent. Just as I believe allowing everyone and anyone buy a gun is foolish, so too is letting everyone obtain nukes, because it only increases the likelihood of someone using it.

So how do you get from the above to starting a war that will inevitably ruin not only the target dictatorship but one of the most important economies of the world, causing death that conceivably goes to millions?

pestul

You guys have links for these assertions you're making? Or sources that disprove the ideas you're getting riled up about? Lots of "I know more than you" here without evidence.
A lot of people are dismissing a New York Times piece that seems to imply NK already might have the capability of striking the continental US and as far away as Spain with a missile miniturized ICBM.

You guys all know that there are no legal checks on the US President using nukes, right?

Problem with American ppl is that they believe everything they see on TV or read online. They believe everyone out there is out to get them....when it's actually the other way around.

TarNaru33

Banned
A lot of people are dismissing a New York Times piece that seems to imply NK already might have the capability of striking the continental US and as far away as Spain with a missile miniturized ICBM.

Well aware of that, but that only reaches Alaska, I am pretty sure when most people think of U.S (in this scenario) they think of California as the starting point.

So how do you get from the above to starting a war that will inevitably ruin not only the target dictatorship but one of the most important economies of the world, causing death that conceivably goes to millions?

Well at some point you must think of when you have to step in, that is when it should be. I do not believe an attack on U.S would happen, but I do believe it would give them a shield to do more than they can now such as sell nuclear information to those who will use the situation as a reason to obtain a nuke.

As I told you, the precedent is set, everyone knows it isn't safe to attack a nuclear power and even a power as great as U.S would likely not risk it. If everyone starts getting nukes, then it is only a matter of "when" not "if" a country will use it. There will be a country that will call out a bluff and end up being wrong about it.

You guys all know that there are no legal checks on the US President using nukes, right?

True, and there can't be any since it needs to be an immediate decision unfortunately. Though we all hope that there are sane people who will receive these orders enough to make their own decision.

U.S won't strike first, though U.S do consider chemical and biological weapon attacks to be the same as a nuclear one.

Mainly your quote, since all of that is subject to their interpretation. I can say "All men are created equal" and start committing racist genocide and you will defend me using that statement as evidence? lol

Well at some point you must think of when you have to step in, that is when it should be. I do not believe an attack on U.S would happen, but I do believe it would give them a shield to do more than they can now such as sell nuclear information to those who will use the situation as a reason to obtain a nuke.

As I told you, the precedent is set, everyone knows it isn't safe to attack a nuclear power and even a power as great as U.S would likely not risk it. If everyone starts getting nukes, then it is only a matter of "when" not "if" a country will use it. There will be a country that will call out a bluff and end up being wrong about it.

Funny how fear of US aggression is driving the quest for nukes. Time to look in the mirror? The UN is our best hope here, not threats of war.

Also, AQ Khan already sold nuclear tech to NK and god knows who else, and we're all still alive. Certainly didn't warrant war with Pakistan. Somehow non-Americans aren't all psychos despite what American media likes to portray.

TarNaru33

Banned
Funny how fear of US aggression is driving the quest for nukes. Time to look in the mirror? The UN is our best hope here, not threats of war.

Also, AQ Khan already sold nuclear tech to NK and god knows who else, and we're all still alive. Certainly didn't warrant war with Pakistan. Somehow non-Americans aren't all psychos despite what American media likes to portray.

And god knows who else? Come on man, you should realize how silly what you are saying is. Proliferation of nuke tech is being curtailed by U.S and its allies as best it can, including using defense treaties which is why the Saudis, SK, and Japan have no nukes despite having the knowledge and cash flow to obtain it.

It is fear of any threat that drives countries to nukes, not just U.S.

Diplomacy is the best hope, but war would be the last resort.

And god knows who else? Come on man, you should realize how silly what you are saying is. Proliferation of nuke tech is being curtailed by U.S and its allies as best it can, including using defense treaties which is why the Saudis, SK, and Japan have no nukes despite having the knowledge and cash flow to obtain it.

It is fear of any threat that drives countries to nukes, not just U.S.

Diplomacy is the best hope, but war would be the last resort.

Checking Wikipedia, the beneficiaries were Libya, North Korea, Iran and China. All psychos if American propaganda is to be believed, yet here we are, alive. Not that proliferation is a good thing.

Your myopic pro-America view is not doing you any good.

With the stuff you hear about how he treats his populace, isn't it similar to Hitler?

Yet Hitler is considered to be a crazy fool.

What is your actual point? You originally wanted to tell me that North Korea is suicidal, now you switched to explaining how they treat their own people.

Ovid

The intent is all the same though, they were willing to go through with it despite the warnings.
Yup.

They don't care about American or Chinese threats.

SEOUL—North Korea fired a projectile on Sunday morning in what appeared to be a failed missile launch, South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said, less than a day after it paraded a never-before-seen long-range ballistic missile through the streets of Pyongyang.

The apparent failed launch, which was reported by the joint chiefs, was a sign of North Korea's confidence even as U.S. President Donald Trump warns Pyongyang against any bellicose behavior, and as the U.S. sends an aircraft carrier group into the waters around the Korean Peninsula.

The joint chiefs declined to comment on the type of projectile that was fired or the distance that it might have flown, saying they needed to analyze the data before coming to any conclusions.

On Saturday, North Korea held a military parade in central Pyongyang, where it showcased at least one newly modified intercontinental ballistic missile and two types of large launchers with new missile canisters, which surprised experts with the speed with which Pyongyang's missile program has apparently advanced in recent years.

wsj.com

brian577

Banned
Yeah, seems like this could be treated like an act of war from our dear leader.

Are you aware of how many tests have been conducted this year? This is nothing new, guarantee the U.S. knew this was coming. If they wanted to they could've done a preemptive strike.

Bobnob

Are you aware of how many tests have been conducted this year? This is nothing new, guarantee they new was coming. If they wanted to they could've done a preemptive strike.
Have you not watched the news this week? This is'nt I he same situation as a month ago

Lo-Volt

Well, NK still doesn't have reliable missile technology. Silver linings?

They seem determined to accomplish it, and I think, or fear, they will soon enough. I'm recalling that Times article about how the Obama administration got nervous near the end of its term at North Korea's progress.

They seem determined to accomplish it, and I think, or fear, they will soon enough. I'm recalling that Times article about how the Obama administration got nervous near the end of its term at North Korea's progress.

I don't understand how people think NK will never be able to build world wide ICBM's. India was able to send a probe to Mars. The gov't in India is one of the most corrupt gov't in the world.

That is why I say, give SK and Japan enough nukes to level NK and China and call it a day. Nobody will attack anybody then.

TarNaru33

Banned
Checking Wikipedia, the beneficiaries were Libya, North Korea, Iran and China. All psychos if American propaganda is to be believed, yet here we are, alive. Not that proliferation is a good thing.

Your myopic pro-America view is not doing you any good.

Not sure how you get China and Iran as being psycho (I don't know much about Libya), we are more informed than average populace, we can ignore the propaganda.

Iran and Libya don't have nukes.

Only 7 countries of the world's 196 countries have nukes and capabilities to launch them. Not even 10% of the countries that exist.

Again, since I seem to have to keep repeating it, I am talking about if diplomacy fails and that failure means they are absolutely close to obtaining it and won't back down. Unfortunately, they are already close and when negotiation attempts fail, I will fully support intervening.

I don't understand how people think NK will never be able to build world wide ICBM's. India was able to send a probe to Mars. The gov't in India is one of the most corrupt gov't in the world.

That is why I say, give SK and Japan enough nukes to level NK and China and call it a day. Nobody will attack anybody then.

If every country in the world have nukes, do you really think it would still never be used? That is quite some confidence you have.

Also its not just ICBMs... NK still have to miniaturize the nuke to fit it in a warhead (which we don't think they have done yet). For other countries, there are plenty of warning signs of them developing nuclear energy for military purposes over civilian ones. But you are indeed right, sooner or later many countries are going to have the capability of sending rockets accurately into space, which is basically what an ICBM is. This is why the IAEA exist, to give those warning signs I mentioned earlier.

Tristam

Yeah, I think some people need to consult Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_relations_of_North_Korea. It's spelled out simply for us:

At this point, I have no idea what mental picture some people have of North Korea.

Are you joking? The North Korean constitution says they're super peaceful, so it must be so! Was crossing the 38th parallel (and massacring South Koreans on their way) in the Korean War in line with their peaceful ideals? Shelling Yeongpyeongdo? Sinking the Cheonan? Attempting (on multiple occasions) to assassinate Park Chunghee? Kidnapping (for decades) South Korean and Japanese citizens? Constantly issuing threats to turn either South Korea or the U.S. (or both) into a "sea of fire"? Just FYI, North Korea's elite makes most of its foreign currency through smuggling weapons, drugrunning, prostitution, and goods created with slave labor.

Neither the North Korean constitution nor its penal code contains any prohibition for North Korean women having sex with black men, but why is it that African exchange students and engineers testify that North Korean women who engaged in relationships with them ended up spirited away by the state? Are they all liars? Do you presume those women were sent to one of North Korea's many gulags and internment camps, or do those not exist?

I mean, seriously, what the fuck does the constitution (a fucking sham document in most countries and especially in North Korea) have anything to say about what kind of behavior the state engages in? Do you extend the same credulity to the U.S. constitution? Do you think the American state doesn't engage in cruel and unusual punishment? Does it really guarantee all of its citizens equal protection under the law? Then why would you not apply the same skepticism to claims of the North Korean constitution?

Xyrmellon

Are you joking? The North Korean constitution says they're super peaceful, so it must be so! Was crossing the 38th parallel (and massacring South Koreans on their way) in the Korean War in line with their peaceful ideals? Shelling Yeongpyeongdo? Sinking the Cheonan? Attempting (on multiple occasions) to assassinate Park Chunghee? Kidnapping (for decades) South Korean and Japanese citizens? Constantly issuing threats to turn either South Korea or the U.S. (or both) into a "sea of fire"? Just FYI, North Korea's elite makes most of its foreign currency through smuggling weapons, drugrunning, prostitution, and goods created with slave labor.

Neither the North Korean constitution nor its penal code contains any prohibition for North Korean women having sex with black men, but why is it that African exchange students and engineers testify that North Korean women who engaged in relationships with them ended up spirited away by the state? Are they all liars? Do you presume those women were sent to one of North Korea's many gulags and internment camps, or do those not exist?

I mean, seriously, what the fuck does the constitution (a fucking sham document in most countries and especially in North Korea) have anything to say about what kind of behavior the state engages in? Do you extend the same credulity to the U.S. constitution? Do you think the American state doesn't engage in cruel and unusual punishment? Does it really guarantee all of its citizens equal protection under the law? Then why would you not apply the same skepticism to claims of the North Korean constitution?

Well said.

:lol that sounds like a wonderful idea..

North Korea is not a school shooter. In fact they've started zero wars after original post-WW2 conflict.

They are surrounded by Russia, China and South Korea (with American backing). They never signed a peace treaty for the end of the Korean war and they've been a deplorable, oppressive regime ever since.

kmfdmpig

Good post.
Being an apologist for NK's regime is so disrespectful of the many North Koreans who have been killed, tortured, or imprisoned by the whims of the regime.

With that said, I agree that NK, while an awful country and a pariah state such that even China is horrified by its human rights record, is not an irrational actor. It has actually done a fairly good job of going right up to the line of irrationality without fully crossing it, and has benefited from that with aid that it would not have otherwise received.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom