• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC News: U.S. May Launch Strike If North Korea Reaches For Nuclear Trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arttemis

Way to go not reading my post. I never said he's gonna turn NK into some kind of utopia.

Will he try to get some stuff? Maybe.
But as long as SK is under a nuclear umbrella they can say fuck off if they want to.
Nuclear capabilities allow sociopathic leaders to push boundries with less consequence. Look at what Russia has been up to:

Provide chemical weapons to allied dictatorship
Bomb hospital treating chemical weapon victims
Shoot down commercial passenger plane
Invade neighboring country
Wage information warfare on democratic nations during elections
Aim to destabilize alliances between democratic nations

People really think obtaining intercontinental nuke capability will temper or reign in NK?

Xyrmellon

A couple interesting theories floating around about this failed sub launched missile.

The first is that the North Koreans blew it up themselves because they wanted to see if it would elicit a quick U.S. response.

The second is that the CIA has hacked so deeply into North Koreas defense infrastructure that they blew it up.

I'm of the mind that North Korea simply doesn't have the tech down yet.

A couple interesting theories floating around about this failed sub launched missile.

The first is that the North Koreans blew it up themselves because they wanted to see if it would elicit a quick U.S. response.

The second is that the CIA has hacked so deeply into North Koreas defense infrastructure that they blew it up.

They tried to launch from a sub? Yikes that means the sub is probably fucked too.

Random17

The CIA would never do that unless they thought there was an actual risk. No point revealing your cards until you absolutely have to. Save that for a rainy day.

Are you joking? The North Korean constitution says they're super peaceful, so it must be so! Was crossing the 38th parallel (and massacring South Koreans on their way) in the Korean War in line with their peaceful ideals? Shelling Yeongpyeongdo? Sinking the Cheonan? Attempting (on multiple occasions) to assassinate Park Chunghee? Kidnapping (for decades) South Korean and Japanese citizens? Constantly issuing threats to turn either South Korea or the U.S. (or both) into a "sea of fire"? Just FYI, North Korea's elite makes most of its foreign currency through smuggling weapons, drugrunning, prostitution, and goods created with slave labor.

Neither the North Korean constitution nor its penal code contains any prohibition for North Korean women having sex with black men, but why is it that African exchange students and engineers testify that North Korean women who engaged in relationships with them ended up spirited away by the state? Are they all liars? Do you presume those women were sent to one of North Korea's many gulags and internment camps, or do those not exist?

I mean, seriously, what the fuck does the constitution (a fucking sham document in most countries and especially in North Korea) have anything to say about what kind of behavior the state engages in? Do you extend the same credulity to the U.S. constitution? Do you think the American state doesn't engage in cruel and unusual punishment? Does it really guarantee all of its citizens equal protection under the law? Then why would you not apply the same skepticism to claims of the North Korean constitution?
Liu Kang post if you're alright.

They are surrounded by Russia, China and South Korea (with American backing). They never signed a peace treaty for the end of the Korean war and they've been a deplorable, oppressive regime ever since.

If you follow the discussion, the bone of contention was whether North Korea is a suicidal country. It being oppressive is a bit of an obvious one.

Victarion

Nuclear capabilities allow sociopathic leaders to push boundries with less consequence. Look at what Russia has been up to:

Provide chemical weapons to allied dictatorship
Bomb hospital treating chemical weapon victims
Shoot down commercial passenger plane
Invade neighboring country
Wage information warfare on democratic nations during elections
Aim to destabilize alliances between democratic nations

People really think obtaining intercontinental nuke capability will temper or reign in NK?

Read that list first and thought you were talking about US.

So the nuke was connected to the internet?

lol

Though it's not a fantastic assumption, remember Stuxnet destroyed Iranian centrifuges by infecting their control computers and worked them past their safe operating capacity.

Problem with NK is there is such little Internet in the country that cyber warfare means are very limited.

Ensirius

I don't understand how people think NK will never be able to build world wide ICBM's. India was able to send a probe to Mars. The gov't in India is one of the most corrupt gov't in the world.

That is why I say, give SK and Japan enough nukes to level NK and China and call it a day. Nobody will attack anybody then.
Let's just hope you never get close to a powerful meaningful position in government.

Tovarisc

lol

Though it's not a fantastic assumption, remember Stuxnet destroyed Iranian centrifuges by infecting their control computers and worked them past their safe operating capacity.

Problem with NK is there is such little Internet in the country that cyber warfare means are very limited.

Stuxnet was delivered by human asset into air gapped facility, afaik. It didn't get to Iranian facility via Internet. Stuxnet spread to Internet because someone plugged infested USB stick or system into Internet.

kmfdmpig

Stuxnet was delivered by human asset into air gapped facility, afaik. It didn't get to Iranian facility via Internet. Stuxnet spread to Internet because someone plugged infested USB stick or system into Internet.

There was a good article from the New York Times about how the US may well have hacked/used electronic interference toward the moment of launch to make some of these tests fail.

It's not impossible to imagine that they found a way to do so.
Someone else in one of the threads posted it, but I don't remember whom. It's worth a read.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/04/...a-missile-program-sabotage.html?smid=tw-share

Rubenov

Third one. The other two are ridiculous.

You got a better one? Let's hypothetically say NK sent nukes into SK.

Why should anyone else in the world be responsible for murdering all those people in NK when SK should have had the deterrence in the first place?
It's def not giving everyone in that region nukes. That's prob the worst idea ever. US does have a responsibility imo due to the treaties and alliances made in the past.

And yes if there's a time when I do have to volunteer to join because of X reasons, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Dehnus

Cool, another thread full of Americans speaking authoritatively about something they obviously don't understand at all!

This Kind of War
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/118690.This_Kind_of_War

The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/448135.The_Coldest_Winter

Good reading before we make more ignorant, bad posts.

---

Also a not-very-uplifting but super-very-good historical fiction read related to the Gwangju Uprising by someone who lived through it:

Human Acts by Han Kang
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30091914-human-acts

You can read this in 4 hours and know so much more about Korea's political history just by understanding context clues.

Yup, that's what I've been saying the whole time. It isn't like as easy as they put it, plus the nation's citizens are of a mindset where they love the Kims. Granted there are defectors from time to time, but considering the cruelty it is unbelievable how they do support him.

Also like I said to someone earlier, you don't HAVE to bomb someone with a Nuclear missile, I see the North Korean Generals fully capable to use it on their own territory when an invader doesn't expect it, let alone the Kamikaze attacks they could pull off against naval units.

But some in this tread think it'll be a cakewalk, no casualties (American Casualties that is, they don't seem to care about the rest) and it'll be over in hours. Complete COD/BF inspired bullshit!

If you want North Korea free? Change the minds of the average North Koreans in a culture war.

kmfdmpig

I think the problem with North Korea, and the reason I'm skeptical when people present their idea as if it is a good one, is that there are no great options.
War is obviously a mess. It would be a major problem for the people of NK, the people of SK, and likely the people of Japan as well.
Starving out the people through further sanctions is terrible.
Negotiations have not worked, and likely will continue not to work as time is on NK's side.
The status quo sucks as NK gets closer and closer to developing a significant and more dangerous nuclear weapons capability.
Recognizing that there are no great options is the first step in finding the least bad one, I think. To me that would probably be something like:
Negotiation>>>>Sanctions>>Status Quo>>>>>>>War.

III-V

Electronic Microwave warfare is a real thing, you can destroy systems, although you need to be quite close, typically. I do not think this was the case unless we flew something in or planted something, both scenarios unlikely.

Are you joking? The North Korean constitution says they're super peaceful, so it must be so! Was crossing the 38th parallel (and massacring South Koreans on their way) in the Korean War in line with their peaceful ideals? Shelling Yeongpyeongdo? Sinking the Cheonan? Attempting (on multiple occasions) to assassinate Park Chunghee? Kidnapping (for decades) South Korean and Japanese citizens? Constantly issuing threats to turn either South Korea or the U.S. (or both) into a "sea of fire"? Just FYI, North Korea's elite makes most of its foreign currency through smuggling weapons, drugrunning, prostitution, and goods created with slave labor.

Neither the North Korean constitution nor its penal code contains any prohibition for North Korean women having sex with black men, but why is it that African exchange students and engineers testify that North Korean women who engaged in relationships with them ended up spirited away by the state? Are they all liars? Do you presume those women were sent to one of North Korea's many gulags and internment camps, or do those not exist?

I mean, seriously, what the fuck does the constitution (a fucking sham document in most countries and especially in North Korea) have anything to say about what kind of behavior the state engages in? Do you extend the same credulity to the U.S. constitution? Do you think the American state doesn't engage in cruel and unusual punishment? Does it really guarantee all of its citizens equal protection under the law? Then why would you not apply the same skepticism to claims of the North Korean constitution?
What context are some of you assuming from my post of that link? I posted it in response to people talking about North Korea as some maniacal global threat rather than an inept dictator afraid for his country and his life after the US threatened it.

You should feel some shame for this post. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. North Korea is the worst country in the world.
You could at least post some sources for your argument like Tristam did.

North Korea's side is that its leaders very much like wielding absolute authority over the country's people and seek to use armament as a means to keep the rest of the world out to prevent their regime, which is built on monitoring of their citizens and careful internal disinformation and propaganda campaigns, from collapsing.

It is as close to a real-life 1984, complete with O'Brien's admonition to the main character that his understanding of metaphysics is poor because he cannot grasp the exercise of power as a desirable end unto iyself, as we are ever likely to see on this planet.

Xyrmellon

Folks you need to understand, about the only way North Korea can deliver a nuke is Enola Gay style drop from an aircraft, and even that's debatable. They have not minaturized the warhead to a point that it can be put on a missile. North Korea isn't going to nuke anyone at the moment, but they have made pretty big leaps in advancing their tech in short periods of time so we want to prevent it from getting to that point.

Tristam

What context are some of you assuming from my post of that link? I posted it in response to people talking about North Korea as some maniacal global threat rather than an inept dictator afraid for his country and his life after the US threatened it.

You could at least post some sources for your argument like Tristam did.

I'm not assuming any kind of context myself but rather taking your post at face value. You agreed with another poster that North Korea is "not a school shooter" and to support your claim referenced a document written by the Korean Workers Party (needless to say, the ONLY actual party in the country) indicating that they want nothing but peace. History (over and over and over) has absolutely shown that not to be the case. By and large the slew of atrocities committed by the North Korean government and its leader(s) -- whether against its own people or against others -- were not done in response to threats by the U.S., but rather for its leaders to further amass power for themselves and further brutally subjugate their population. The North Korean leadership doesn't give a fuck about their people (as evidenced by the gulags among a thousand other things) but very much care about the exceedingly comfortable lifestyle they've built for themselves on the backs of their populace. Preserving this power is all that matters to them. This may make them rational to an extent, but it certainly doesn't make them peaceful.

I'm not assuming any kind of context myself but rather taking your post at face value. You agreed with another poster that North Korea is "not a school shooter" and to support your claim referenced a document written by the Korean Workers Party (needless to say, the ONLY actual party in the country) indicating that they want nothing but peace. History (over and over and over) has absolutely shown that not to be the case. By and large the slew of atrocities committed by the North Korean government and its leader(s) -- whether against its own people or against others -- were not done in response to threats by the U.S., but rather for its leaders to further amass power for themselves and further brutally subjugate their population. The North Korean leadership doesn't give a fuck about their people (as evidenced by the gulags among a thousand other things) but very much care about the exceedingly comfortable lifestyle they've built for themselves on the backs of their populace. Preserving this power is all that matters to them. This may make them rational to an extent, but it certainly doesn't make them peaceful.
I think you're arguing the same thing as me. I agree with all of this, but also that they have no interest in imperialism or global domination/destruction, as many in here have stated without citation. My quote was to show their stated foreign policy and have people reconcile that idea with their assumptions about North Korea's global plans (which I'm not seeing as existing).

Guys please read the first part of this interview of Chomsky. I guess it can help to understand better whats going on.
Great resource!

Here's his first answer, for anyone too lazy:

JUAN GONZÁLEZ: In line with your concern about the growing threat in terms of nuclear weapons, there are also maneuvers going on off the coast of Korea, and the words that we’ve heard from President Trump in the last few days, that if China doesn’t deal with North Korea, the U.S. will. Can you talk about his policies already, his developing policies toward Korea and toward China?

NOAM CHOMSKY: Well, it’s kind of interesting to look at the record. The claim is "Well, we’ve tried everything. Nothing works. Therefore, we have to use force." Is it true that nothing’s worked? I mean, there is a record, after all. And if you look at the record, it’s interesting.

1994, Clinton made—established what was called the Framework Agreement with North Korea. North Korea would terminate its efforts to develop nuclear weapons. The U.S. would reduce hostile acts. It more or less worked, and neither side lived up to it totally, but, by 2000, North Korea had not proceeded with its nuclear weapons programs. George W. Bush came in and immediately launched an assault on North Korea—you know, "axis of evil," sanctions and so on. North Korea turned to producing nuclear weapons. In 2005, there was an agreement between North Korea and the United States, a pretty sensible agreement. North Korea agreed to terminate its development of nuclear weapons. In return, it called for a nonaggression pact. So, stop making hostile threats, relief from harsh sanctions, and provision of a system to provide North Korea with low-enriched uranium for medical and other purposes—that was the proposal. George Bush instantly tore it to shreds. Within days, the U.S. was imposing—trying to disrupt North Korean financial transactions with other countries through Macau and elsewhere. North Korea backed off, started building nuclear weapons again. I mean, maybe you can say it’s the worst regime in history, whatever you like, but they have been following a pretty rational tit-for-tat policy.

And why are they developing nuclear weapons altogether? I mean, the economy is in bad shape. They could certainly use the resources. Everyone understands that it’s a deterrent. And they have a proposal, actually. There’s a proposal on the table. China and North Korea proposed that North Korea should terminate its further development of nuclear weapons. In return, the United States should stop carrying out threatening military maneuvers with South Korea right on its border. Not an unreasonable proposal. It’s simply dismissed. Actually, Obama dismissed it, too.
There are possible steps that could be taken to alleviate which could be an extremely serious crisis. I mean, if the U.S. did decide to use force against North Korea, one immediate reaction, according to the military sources available to us, is that Seoul, the city of Seoul, would simply be wiped out by mass North Korean artillery aimed at it. And who knows where we’d go from there? But the opportunity to produce—to move towards a negotiated diplomatic settlement does not seem outlandish. I mean, this Chinese-North Korean proposal is certainly worth serious consideration, I would think.

And it’s worth bearing in mind that North Korea has some memories. They were practically destroyed by some of the most intensive bombing in history. The bombing—you should—it’s worth reading. Maybe you should read, people, the official Air Force history of the bombing of North Korea. It’s shattering. I mean, they had flattened the country. There were no targets left. So, therefore, they decided, well, we’ll attack the dams—which is a war crime, of course. And the description of the attack on the dams is—without the exact wording, I hate to paraphrase it. You should really read the—they were simply exalting, in the official histories, Air Force Quarterly and others, about the—how magnificent it will be to see this massive flood of water coursing through North Korea, wiping out crops. For Asians, the rice crops is their life. This will destroy them. It will be magnificent. The North Koreans lived through that. And having nuclear-capable B-52s flying on their border is not a joke.

But, most significantly, there’s a record of partial success in diplomatic initiatives, total failure with sanctions and harsh moves, and options that are on the table which could be pursued. Now, instead of concern about whether somebody talked to the Russians, this is the kind of thing that should be—that should be pursued very seriously. That’s what the Democrats or anyone hoping for some form of peace and justice should be working for.

XrF6SGm.jpg

Polari

This is a pretty weird example to use. Unverified ancedotal claims from the 1980s. I just read the book North Korea Confidential - it appears to be a pretty good insight into everyday North Korean life.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I don't understand how NK has the ability to make/develope a nuke, but not the engineering skills to deliver it via a launch/rocket...

brian577

Banned
Yep. But if you go to CNN they chose to highlight "North Korea situation coming to a head!" and buried the part about no military action in the article.

It gives you a sense of imminent action / things blowing up. No wonder people here and elsewhere act so sensationalistic.

That's why I stick with the BBC, zero sensationalism. The article's title even says the US is coordinating with China on a response.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39614428

Tristam

I think you're arguing the same thing as me. I agree with all of this, but also that they have no interest in imperialism or global domination/destruction, as many in here have stated without citation. My quote was to show their stated foreign policy and have people reconcile that idea with their assumptions about North Korea's global plans (which I'm not seeing as existing).

They have no interest in imperialism or global domination/destruction, but they claim the entire Korean peninsula belongs to them (much as the government of South Korea does) and if they were capable of taking over the South, they most certainly would. (Source: they already tried it and would've succeeded had it not been for the UN forces led by the US.)

EDIT: Though they would also be happy to wipe Japan off the face of the map if they could!

This is a pretty weird example to use. Unverified ancedotal claims from the 1980s. I just read the book North Korea Confidential - it appears to be a pretty good insight into everyday North Korean life.

These are their accounts. Do you think those African exchange students (whose own movements were very carefully watched by the government) were capable of verifying that the women were forcibly taken to gulags and/or executed? Does the North Korean government invite independent international agencies to verify these accounts or to inspect the gulags or to interview its prisoners? Does the North Korean government publish numbers of women forcibly taken to gulags for engaging in relationships with black men? Then what the fuck with the dumbass criticism that these are 'nverified ancedotal claims'? A huge number of the claims in the very fucking book you cited are 'unverified anecdotal claims' from North Korean defectors. Is an African exchange student's account less trustworthy than a North Korean defector's? If so, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom