• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA men's basketball 2011-2012 OT: Lockout edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

alstein

Whew. Survived the first 5 minutes alright.

I just hope the refs lose their whistles, this is heart-wrecking.

I felt FSU was the best shot of the three games- UNC, as much as I hate to say it, is a bad matchup stylewise.

And now Leslie with 4. Ugh.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Whew. Survived the first 5 minutes alright.

I just hope the refs lose their whistles, this is heart-wrecking.

I felt FSU was the best shot of the three games- UNC, as much as I hate to say it, is a bad matchup stylewise.

We keep jacking up ill advised 3s when we should be trying to get fouls on you guys and its pretty wrapped up at this point.

I think K gets a lot of credit for 2010 and that was a good coaching job, but this year he can't find a line up that works to his style and he can't call plays that works for this group of players. I thought that was always Roy's problem.

alstein

We keep jacking up ill advised 3s when we should be trying to get fouls on you guys and its pretty wrapped up at this point.

I think K gets a lot of credit for 2010 and that was a good coaching job, but this year he can't find a line up that works to his style and he can't call plays that works for this group of players. I thought that was always Roy's problem.

Yeah , these refs want to call anything, it's like playing UNC, except the calls are going both ways.

I don't think you're having a bad year. Plus, I'm still not sold on pulling this out- 10 years of Herb+ 5 years of Sid have tortured my soul.

jakncoke

Banned
gif that missed dunk by him was funny. seemed like something every fucking loser for Pitt has done at least 5 times this season.

alstein

I don't know what Gott's supposed to do here. Slowing down isn't going to work, speeding up= players foul out and there's little bench.

I think you gotta risk the foulouts.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I don't know what Gott's supposed to do here. Slowing down isn't going to work, speeding up= players foul out and there's little bench.

I think you gotta risk the foulouts.

Don't worry, we'll take an easy transition basket and pass it out for a 3 attempt and clank it. I'm really amazed on how stupid this team is. I knew we wouldn't win it all and lacking any real stars we would struggle, but I was unprepared for lazy and stupid.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I just don't want to get blown out by NCSU at home (no offense). Other than that there's nothing they can do that Miami and FSU haven't already, and it helps them get in the tourney...so theres that.

Just show up for UNC pleeeeeeeeze.

jayhawker

So I know Duke is the story tonight, but Vanderbilt looked awfully impressive. Their eFG at half was like 90%. Obviously, they quit caring in the 2nd half and that number dropped, but still it was seriously impressive.

That's a team that you don't want to meet in the 2nd or 3rd round. Sure, they might not make it there, and there's a decent chance they'll suck it up against you, but there's also a chance they'll be nigh unstoppable.

Dear god I hope and pray we get duke as our #2 seed. Easiest path to the final four? Yes.

Clarification: Syracuse uk and prolly Kansas/mizzou and OSU/mich st are 1 seeds, with unc/duke trying hard as well. That's the top 8. Duke is probably the worst of this entire group that will probably be a 2 seed. I don't want a Kansas or a unc rematch really, and probably not OSU or mich st. Though it'd be nice to replay last years wins over OSU and unc. Anyways, out of that group, mizzouri would be a great 2 seed matchup, as would duke, especially the way duke is playing now, wow. We would destroy them.

Also not saying the 2 seed would make it to us, but if they did...

And our team is a bit more well rounded than the John wall team that lost to wvu. More leadership that has played in domes and the final four before (miller has done elite 8 and ff, jones/lamb ff).

Jtrizzy

It's pretty rare to see 3 of a teams top players foul out. I realize that Carolina gets beneficial treatment from refs, but the second half of that game tonight was ridiculously disjointed...foul after foul for the first 8-9 minutes of the second half.

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/rickbozich/2012/02/16/espn-confirms-louisville-nations-top-tv-market/

ESPN Confirms Louisville Nation’s Top TV Market Posted on February 16, 2012 by Rick Bozich
I’ve argued many times that Louisville is the top college basketball market in the country.
This note from the folks at ESPN is another nugget for my argument:
From November 11, 2011 through February 12, 2012 for all men’s college basketball games on ESPN (a total of 93 games), Louisville stands as the top men’s college basketball viewing market (of 56 metered markets nationwide).
According to Nielsen, Louisville retained the top spot from 2010-11 and has increased its rating five percent (4.4 to 4.6). The city doubles the rating of the No. 6 market, Charlotte, which has averaged a 2.3 rating thus far.

The top five markets are:
1. Louisville (4.6).
2. Greensboro-High Point (3.5).
3. Columbus (2.9).
4. Kansas City (2.7).
5. Raleigh-Durham (2.6).

Cincinnati comes in at No. 7 with a 2.1 rating. In addition, ESPN is on pace to break last year’s record for most-viewed regular season ever and is up 3 percent in viewing households (1,062,309 vs. 1,089,316).

your welcome rest of the the Big 12

alstein

Statistically Carolina gets much more calls than any other team in the ACC.

It's by a ridiculous amount , especially when you adjust for tempo, and that amount increases dramatically for conference games.

Also, if you look at Roy's Kansas teams vs his Carolina teams, his Carolina teams get a lot more calls, and I doubt his coaching or players have been better at UNC vs Kansas.

Duke gets a bunch of calls also, but I don't think it is as bad.

There really needs to be some hardcore statistical analysis on this (and NCSU has a pretty damn good Statistics Department). Also, I wonder if these numbers have increased since Swofford has been on board (who's a UNC guy)

http://espn.go.com/blog/north-carolina-basketball/post/_/id/4912/lack-of-fouls-key-for-unc

Stuff like this from their director of officials doesn't help either.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
It's pretty rare to see 3 of a teams top players foul out. I realize that Carolina gets beneficial treatment from refs, but the second half of that game tonight was ridiculously disjointed...foul after foul for the first 8-9 minutes of the second half.

NCSU is 7 deep and not terribly disciplined, they were also called for 3 more fouls than Duke was (two of which were end game stop the clock fouls) and shot about the same amount of FTs. State had a 20 pt lead with 11 minutes left, the refs cannot bail out a 20 pt lead with 10 to go, even NBA refs.

We had the same situation against St Johns about a month ago. Had a 22 pt lead with 12 minutes left in the second half, the team got awful complacent and St Johns became aggressive and got hot. Duke panicked and only won by 5 I believe. The refs didn't get St Johns back in the game, Duke's shitty defense and lack of discipline got St Johns back in the game.

alstein

NCSU is 7 deep and not terribly disciplined, they were also called for 3 more fouls than Duke was (two of which were end game stop the clock fouls) and shot about the same amount of FTs. State had a 20 pt lead with 11 minutes left, the refs cannot bail out a 20 pt lead with 10 to go, even NBA refs.

We had the same situation against St Johns about a month ago. Had a 22 pt lead with 12 minutes left in the second half, the team got awful complacent and St Johns became aggressive and got hot. Duke panicked and only won by 5 I believe. The refs didn't get St Johns back in the game, Duke's shitty defense and lack of discipline got St Johns back in the game.

You're right on State not being that deep this year, and some of the players did pick up some cheap fouls. (Howell and Leslie in particular have this problem on occasion). The refs called this game super-tight though, which benefitted Duke by a large amount. I don't know if it's conspiracy or not, I don't think this particular game was anything fishy, but it did clearly impact the game and cost State its ability to play any defense for the last 10 mins of the game. (and the whistles got looser at the end)

I'm not going on just that one game. This is a long term statistical trend. I think the last time a team other then UNC lead the league in fewest fouls (and UNC plays at a high tempo with around 10-15 more posessions on game on average, they should have higher-then-average fouling) was 2007-2008 (which was State, and that was due to Sidney Lowe playing an extreme slowdown style+ emphasis on passive defense, and even then it was close)

UNC does not play passive defense- the eyeball test proves that. Realistically, the teams that should be bottom in fouls called are likely UVA, and maybe BC. Not UNC.

Honestly, I don't think Duke asks for the beneificial treatment, I think Coach K knows it happens and takes advantage, he's a good, smart coach.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
You're right on State not being that deep this year, and some of the players did pick up some cheap fouls. (Howell and Leslie in particular have this problem on occasion). The refs called this game super-tight though, which benefitted Duke by a large amount. I don't know if it's conspiracy or not, I don't think this particular game was anything fishy, but it did clearly impact the game and cost State its ability to play any defense for the last 10 mins of the game. (and the whistles got looser at the end)

I'm not going on just that one game. This is a long term statistical trend. I think the last time a team other then UNC lead the league in fewest fouls (and UNC plays at a high tempo with around 10-15 more posessions on game on average, they should have higher-then-average fouling) was 2007-2008 (which was State, and that was due to Sidney Lowe playing an extreme slowdown style+ emphasis on passive defense, and even then it was close)

UNC does not play passive defense- the eyeball test proves that. Realistically, the teams that should be bottom in fouls called are likely UVA, and maybe BC. Not UNC.

Honestly, I don't think Duke asks for the beneificial treatment, I think Coach K knows it happens and takes advantage, he's a good, smart coach.

UNC lead the ACC in foul differential in 2010, you know, the year they sucked ass. Teams with similar records had way more fouls called on them than they did. Most of the blue blood teams get the benefit of calls and there are a variety of non conspiracy reasons on why that happens, with Duke its reaching Da Vinci Code levels of ridiculousness. Its a fun narrative ESPN loves to build on to get the casual viewer to care.

We've been on the other end of the stick, the 2004 final four game with UConn is the perfect example. We also had a game with BC in 08 where the refs completely changed how they were calling the game in the second half, it benefitted BC's tempo and they won the game. Both of those games were under 10 pt leads for Duke, and it certainly affected the game. I've never seen any team that had a 20 pt lead in the second half that was given away by the refs, instead of the leading team imploding. That includes NCSU last night, UMD in 2001 and Duke vs UK in 98.

Whats pissing me off about this latest conspiracy is people pointing to the fouls called the Packs starters vs Duke, when the simple fact is Duke can go 9 deep State doesn't have depth, especially in the front court. The team that is behind that big is going to play more aggressive if they want to come back, its not a mystery.

mbmonk

Dear god I hope and pray we get duke as our #2 seed. Easiest path to the final four?

In a strange way I am actually scared of Duke. I would still rather play them than UNC in the tourney, but Dukes ability, when they are on, to hit 3's from very deep even with a hand in their face gives them a chance to knock out any team in the tournament.

Maybe I am over stating Duke's abilities, but the only two games I have seen of Duke was the UNC game, and I saw the last 15 minutes of the State game. Both games Curry, Rivers, & Dawkins were banging down tough or deep threes.

There is a chance Duke could be a #1 seed. Assuming they don't lose before the ACC tourney.

thefro

http://www.jconline.com/article/201...bar-fracas-involved-Byrd-s-teammates-updated-

Kelsey Barlow kicked off Purdue's team, DJ Byrd suspended for the next game (may end up getting charged with assault)

The West Lafayette Police Department is investigating allegations that Byrd assaulted a bouncer at Where Else bar early this morning.

Capt. Gary Sparger said investigators are still piecing together what exactly took place outside the Chauncey Hill business and resulted in Byrd, 21, being arrested on suspicion of public intoxication.

Sparger said he hopes to have the case forwarded to the Tippecanoe County prosecutor's office sometime this weekend or on Monday.

Officers were initially called to Where Else, 304 W. State St., at 2:53 a.m. for reports of a disturbance.

Sparger said Barlow had been at Where Else earlier but either left or got kicked out of the business. Barlow then came back, believing he left his wallet there. Where Else, however, refused to let him back in.

Barlow left and returned later accompanied by Byrd, teammate Robbie Hummel and other members of the basketball team. This resulted in some type of confrontation, during which Byrd is suspected of hitting a bouncer, Sparger said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom