• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA men's basketball 2011-2012 OT: Lockout edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the UK fans are here - enjoy your conference's new member university

BJ-KID.gif

LOL @ KID. Just add the bozo shoes type on him...

TheNatural

My Member!
Temple MACtion. Are you ready!

At least they bring a good BB program. FB wise, they should have learned from their previous BE stint - hopefully. Another original BE FB member! :D

Looks like the BEAST is preparing for when the Ville jets for the Big 12. I wish the Big 12 would stop fucking around and do it though.

Let's be real, Big East football ain't what it was. They'll do fine.
Eh.... the teams coming in have been just as good if not better than the departing teams. BSU and WVU is a wash and Pitt and Cuse have been bad to mediocre for what - the last 5-10 years at least? They can be replaced with the other teams coming in.

The Big East has never had a problem competing when you actually compare factual information like on the field performance, bowl wins, etc. People like to pull out "perception" and "name brand" when they put down the BE, however.

Basketball obviously take a bigger hit I think. But Memphis and I guess now Temple should hopefully help. Although it doesn't replace the losses of WVU, Pitt, and Cuse.

Edit: And yeah, this is either the BE being proactive for once and preparing to weather a blow of losing a team. Or they are telling the BB schools to shut the hell up (notably Nova) and adding more depth.

TheNatural

My Member!
Sources told CBSSports.com, the reason the Big East decided to go beyond 12 football members is because the league is preparing for the possibility it will lose Louisville if the Big 12 decides to expand by at least another team.

Multiple sources have told CBSSports.com that Louisville is the consensus choice for the Big 12’s 11th member, if the league expands, and that the Cardinals would accept an invitation to the Big 12.

Big 12 acting commissioner Chuck Neinas said Wednesday his league has no expansion meetings scheduled and is concentrating on the additions of West Virginia and TCU.

http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/34946571

Temple MACtion. Are you ready!

At least they bring a good BB program. FB wise, they should have learned from their previous BE stint - hopefully. Another original BE FB member! :D

The football program is definitely better this time around. Alot of Florida fans hated addazzio but he did a pretty good job with his first recruiting class this year. I expect Temple to be middle of the pack the next few years and hopefully contend for the conference in three years. The basketball program will be competitive. They have already beaten nova a few times, GTown, and Seton Hall over the past few years, with two star recruits. There is a rumor out now that a 4 star recruit may strongly consider Temple if the deal goes through.

Meier

Big game tonight for the Noles. Probably the biggest one The Tuck has hosted in a very long time. Win this and there's no reason we shouldn't win the regular season ACC title.

Poor Tubby. Seems like a nice guy, but has a way of making basketball painful. He had some great teams at Kentucky, but those last two years or so were awful.

Pollux

Poor Tubby. Seems like a nice guy, but has a way of making basketball painful. He had some great teams at Kentucky, but those last two years or so were awful.

The thing is, when he has good talent he's one of the best in the game. The problem is that he can't recruit at all; or has stopped caring about recruiting.

TheNatural

My Member!

It got worse after he left. If Silme man hadn't come to save the day, I shutter to think who Barnfart would have gotten as #2 choice. Chances are though, whoever it was would have made Tubby look like John Wooden.

pxleyes

Banned
Hats off to FSU for a great atmosphere tonight. I rarely root for FSU, but when they are playing Duke, it is an easy choice. Always a sucker for a good underdog.

pxleyes

Banned
how is FSU an underdog in this game?

Are they favored? I would expect them to be a slight underdog, even at home.

You cant ignore the contrast between a football school with a good b-ball team for a year and a perennial basketball power. Always a good story line.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Refs are giving this game to FSU easily. 8 fouls on our bigs, 0 on theirs, they clobbered Curry on that last shot, no whistle. The myth that we get all the calls dies more and more

Sky Chief

Refs are giving this game to FSU easily. 8 fouls on our bigs, 0 on theirs, they clobbered Curry on that last shot, no whistle. The myth that we get all the calls dies more and more

I was just about to post this. The charge on Mason and the offensive foul he got just for posting up were unbelievable.

TheNatural

My Member!
Went out and watched the game last night. We're dog fucking shit. No fucking reason to look that shitty. No, we usually don't play all that well at Cincy, but I thought at least the offense had turned a corner not to be so fucking dog shit. Somehow Russ Smith hit a three - the only one we had - to keep our infinite streak of games hitting *A* three going. 1-14 from three. 34.5% from the field. Seniors Chris Smith and Kyle Kuric - a combined 0-15. 0-11 from Kuric including missing the three that would have tied the game late.

Just dog shit. It's fucking dog shit that no one on this team is a reliable shooter and why Pitino cannot recruit reliable shooters. Fuck it, we're going to be another one and done for the third straight year.

Great win for Duke last night, getting a league win on the road especially against a top 25 team that's already beaten us this year is always nice. As someone who enjoys sharpshooting (you kind of have to if you're a fan of Duke post-2004), I love watching Dre when he gets hot. When he gets hot, he gets HOT like last night. Undoubtedly one of the best shooters in the nation and if you give him open shots, he'll take them and he'll make them.

It's amazing to see that we're undefeated on the road in league play and only have two road losses on the year (tbh, we lost both of our two true road non-conference games in embarrassing fashion). I consider that a great achievement for a program that over recent years has gained a bit of a reputation of being much more vulnerable on the road than at home. Which is a valid rep, we lost ten games in the past two years (2009-2011), with nine of them being true road losses (and then Arizona in the NCAA tournament).

If Duke can take care of business this week against Va Tech and Wake (both are pretty winnable games), and Carolina can handle their business (going to Virginia isn't easy, but I expect them to win that), that'll set up the dream scenario of Duke vs. Carolina here (in Cameron) for the ACC regular season title. ESPN execs' eyes haven't gleamed so much since the Decision.

Went out and watched the game last night. We're dog fucking shit. No fucking reason to look that shitty. No, we usually don't play all that well at Cincy, but I thought at least the offense had turned a corner not to be so fucking dog shit. Somehow Russ Smith hit a three - the only one we had - to keep our infinite streak of games hitting *A* three going. 1-14 from three. 34.5% from the field. Seniors Chris Smith and Kyle Kuric - a combined 0-15. 0-11 from Kuric including missing the three that would have tied the game late.

Just dog shit. It's fucking dog shit that no one on this team is a reliable shooter and why Pitino cannot recruit reliable shooters. Fuck it, we're going to be another one and done for the third straight year.
Trust me, my soul is burning from losing to Cincy for the third time in a row...

but if Kuric and C. Smith go 0 for 16 and we only lose by 4, we're not as bad off as you think.

The most baffling thing was Behanan wasn't in any sort of foul trouble, but Rick kept subbing him out. I like Swop, but he is still soft as baby shit.

I doubt we're getting a double bye for the BE tourney, but I still think we have a run in us. BELIEVE.

mbmonk

If Duke can take care of business this week against Va Tech and Wake (both are pretty winnable games), and Carolina can handle their business (going to Virginia isn't easy, but I expect them to win that), that'll set up the dream scenario of Duke vs. Carolina here (in Cameron) for the ACC regular season title. ESPN execs' eyes haven't gleamed so much since the Decision.

Didn't that happen last year as well, except for the game was at UNC?

TheNatural

My Member!
Trust me, my soul is burning from losing to Cincy for the third time in a row...

but if Kuric and C. Smith go 0 for 16 and we only lose by 4, we're not as bad off as you think.

The most baffling thing was Behanan wasn't in any sort of foul trouble, but Rick kept subbing him out. I like Swop, but he is still soft as baby shit.

I doubt we're getting a double bye for the BE tourney, but I still think we have a run in us. BELIEVE.

It's bad as I think because everyone is not good enough to get consistent. No, Kuric and Chris Smith aren't 0 for 16 bad, it was their worst game combined of the year - but then again, Siva hasn't been 7-13 good all year either.

Team has to play too perfect to win, there's basically no margin for error. One game when someone is really off, it fucks up the whole team. If someone is in foul trouble, it fucks up the whole team. If we can't make FT's any given game, it fucks up the whole team.

It's just the constant grind of not having a ton of talent and trying to win games being perfect because no one is that great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom