• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2010-2011 Season OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proelite

Outdoor Miner said:
Reload for what exactly? Another Elite 8?

For the NBA. Calipari has said that time and time again, his main goal for Kentucky players is to get the players into the NBA. According to him, getting six players into the NBA last year was the greatest moment in Kentucky history.

He recently said that if his players won a national championship, and no one gets drafted, he'll be disappointed.

GreekWolf

Proelite said:
For the NBA. Calipari has said that time and time again, his main goal for Kentucky players is to get the players into the NBA. According to him, getting six players into the NBA last year was the greatest moment in Kentucky history.
As a Memphis fan, I can tell you that Calipari's main goal is to ensure his ugly mug is in the funny papers every five minutes.

max_cool said:
11-05-bb-court-px.preview.jpg
This is amazing. It looks like a 40 foot duck took a flying dump in the middle of the court. You even have the cleanup crew standing around, debating how to tackle such a colossal mess.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DominoKid said:
Harrison Barnes must be better than i can imagine, because i dont see a top ten team when i look at that roster.

Would you believe his line in his 1st exhibition game was 5 ribs, 6TO's and only 7 pts? Now obviously I don't believe that this is going to be an indication of his average performances this year, but there are going to be games that his shot disappears or he gets locked down. He's got more expectations thrust upon him than any UNC player I can remember in a while (03 fr class I guess) but he's still just a freshman.

Its also funny to think that he was believed to be Duke's program savior just over a year ago and a "luxury recruit" for UNC, thats totally been flipped now.

Karakand

GreekWolf said:
As a Memphis fan, I can tell you that Calipari's main goal is to ensure his ugly mug is in the funny papers every five minutes.
I feel like there's so much we have in common now.

Outdoor Miner said:
Reload for what exactly? Another Elite 8?

You act as if being one of the last 8 teams out of hundreds of other teams is a non-accomplishment.

The tourney is a crapshoot. WVU was hitting a ridiculous percentage from 3. It was a freaky game.

DJ_Tet

Banned
truly101 said:
Its also funny to think that he was believed to be Duke's program savior just over a year ago and a "luxury recruit" for UNC, thats totally been flipped now.

That is crazy how that's all worked out. I still remember watching his presser and being so disappointed Duke lost him. He seems like a great kid by all accounts and I'm still sad he's not coming to Duke, but man what a difference a year makes :D

Also lol @ Calimari thinking he has any idea how he would react to winning a NC. If he'd honestly be disappointed none of his kids got drafted (thinly veiled slapfight towards Duke) then he's got some serious issues. If he's that concerned he could float his undrafted guys a couple 10k or so. He's got plenty to spread around, just think how rich he'd be if he actually won one.

Before the first shot goes up, before the first rebound is grabbed - before the opening tip of the season - the Longhorns lost a basketball player.

Shawn Williams, a redshirt freshman reserve forward, has left the team.

Williams, rated a top-50 level freshman in the country last season by some recruiting services, played in just seven games before undergoing ankle surgery.

He averaged 1.6 points and 1.7 rebounds in 5.6 minutes. Under NCAA rules, Williams regained his freshman season of eligibility because he appeared in fewer than 30 percent of the Longhorns’ games before the injury.

Williams and coach Rick Barnes issued statements through the athletics department media relations office about the player’s departure, but neither specified why he left.

Williams, reached later, said, “It was a mutual agreement between me and coach. It was a lot of stuff. I don’t want to go into details”.

A source familiar with the situation said Williams considered transferring to another school during the summer because of concerns about playing time.

The source said that Barnes gave Williams pep talks about his role on the team, but that Williams did not necessarily believe he would receive a lot of playing time.

The situation became worse recently. Barnes was hard on Williams, according to the source, because of mistakes he made in practice. Williams did not react well to the criticism, the source said.

Said Williams, “He was no harder on me than anybody else. He was just doing his job.”

Here is Williams’ statement: “I have decided to leave the Texas Basketball program. I will continue to take classes at UT and finish the fall semester academically. This is a move that I need to make now in my best interest.”

Barnes’ statement: “We want to thank Shawn for being a part of our program for the last year and a half. He is a model student-athlete and a well-respected individual who comes from a great family. We wish Shawn nothing but the best as he moves forward.”

Went to OSU exhibition yesterday, sullinger is the real deal. This team won't have issues replacing turner, they now have the size and depth to make a deep run in the tourney.

jakncoke

Banned
sucks that I have to go with radio from yahoo to follow the game. :lol . Lets go Pitt, we can't lose already :/

Edit: fucking dweebs chanting USA wtf :lol

Edit: MOTHERFUCKIGN DUNK TO END THE HALF! okay lets get this shit done in the 2nd half.

Edit 3: Fucking sweet Khem Birch of 2012 is coming to Pittsburgh. :D

jakncoke

Banned
the fouls are starting to get up there :/

Edit: wtf so many missed layups. also Rhode Island is tired. If we don't stretch this lead ima going to punch something.

Well, Illinois actually looks really good so far. We're actually trying and stuff. (and up by 30 in the first half, but it is just UC Irvine)

jakncoke

Banned
TheOrangeKid007 said:
I think they were chanting USA because the one player is a foreign national on Rhode Island. Either way, not the most original form the ZOO

I think so cause him and patterson just got into something and they did it again. Kinda funny they do that considering Zanna is from Nigeria

Edit: GG Rhode Island. Pitt/Illinois shall be a good game :)

Fatalah

Steve-Lavin-Red-Storm-Tip-Off.jpeg

Lavin has entered the building! St. John's is back on the map. Lavin's successfully recruited top 100 talent and has assembled a dream team staff. He works like a bolt of lightning.

Needless to say, our fanbase is PUMPED!

jakncoke said:
I think so cause him and patterson just got into something and they did it again. Kinda funny they do that considering Zanna is from Nigeria

Edit: GG Rhode Island. Pitt/Illinois shall be a good game :)
I bet it will be. How good are you guys this year?

We're still very sloppy on offense, probably gave up 20 points off of turnovers. :lol Oh well, it's early.

Note: We've cloned Luther Head, everybody watch the eff out.

jakncoke

Banned
Elfforkusu said:
I bet it will be. How good are you guys this year?

We're still very sloppy on offense, probably gave up 20 points off of turnovers. :lol Oh well, it's early.

Note: We've cloned Luther Head, everybody watch the eff out.

We returned basically all of last years team. So hopefully this is the year we punch through to f4

clav

I'm hoping this season brings Northwestern its first NCAA appearance ever in school history.

Northwestern needs to be perfect in every non-conference game before the Big 10 schedule, play about 50/50 Win/Loss ratio in Big 10 play, and win one or two games in the Big 10 Tournament.

Karakand

Fatalah said:

Lavin has entered the building! St. John's is back on the map. Lavin's successfully recruited top 100 talent and has assembled a dream team staff. He works like a bolt of lightning.

wooooooooooooooow

pxleyes

Banned
"Mostly it's embarrassing," guard Melvin Goins said. "I think that's the one word that wraps it up. Just an embarrassment to ourselves and to our fans."

Soon to be seen at UT b-ball games.

3JkOw.jpg

Talon

claviertekky said:
I'm hoping this season brings Northwestern its first NCAA appearance ever in school history.

Northwestern needs to be perfect in every non-conference game before the Big 10 schedule, play about 50/50 Win/Loss ratio in Big 10 play, and win one or two games in the Big 10 Tournament.
Carmody is the worst.

I went to the Navy v. UT game tonight. First half was bad, but the second half looked very promising for our young team. Jordan Hamilton will have to be good every game this year instead of every other game like he was last year. Gary Johnson is seemingly our team captain this year. I think we'll be fine and hopefully we'll get to the sweet 16 or better in March. I think we have a good shot....

clav

Talon- said:
Carmody is the worst.
Easy to blame Carmody, but he's done a lot for the program as Carmody's had a lot to deal with Northwestern's problems.

Biggest problem was that Northwestern had terrible recruiting. The school couldn't even recruit kids in their backyard. They could only obtain international students, mostly from Croatia, and only recently, has the program started to turn around to get better quality recruits. Slowly the program is turning around with that set on hold now.

As for the offense, Carmody along with others pioneered the Princeton offense. Players basically drain the shot clock to cause low scoring games, and the game plan lives and dies on backdoor cuts and three point shots.

We'll see. This basketball program is a lot better than when I saw it five years ago. For once, the team has been in an uprising improvement over the past years I was there, and I did catch a glimpse of it in my final year.

jakncoke said:
Okay im confused as fuck how does the 2k Sports Classic work? Last night they said we'd be playing the Illinois/UC-Irivine winner next. Yet I see us playing UIC and Maryland next 2 games and no Illinois till possibly. Unless I misheard and they were talking talking about UIC.

http://www.gazellegroup.com/events/cvc/cvc10_bracket.pdf
The winner of Illinois/Texas will play the winner of Pitt/Maryland. Likewise with the losers.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Fatalah said:

Look at that hair!

Honestly though, I'd be excited to see St. John's come back as a strong basketball school. It's always so strange to me that we don't have any decent college bball programs in NYC (whereas North Carolina, Kentucky, and Kansas are powerhouses).

jakncoke

Banned
balbay is a pain in the ass. I hope we handle him better this year if we play Texas :lol

Edit: :lol on of the last names of the Texas play is Dick

McNei1y

Proelite said:
Wow, Maryland needed a fade away 2 point jumper with 5 sec remaining to beat College of Charleston 75-74.

Yeah, it sucks. Still an exciting way to finish. Jordan Williams is awesome. What hurt the terps were their free throws and turnovers. We missed out on 16 free points.

Fatalah

Nerevar said:
Look at that hair!

Honestly though, I'd be excited to see St. John's come back as a strong basketball school. It's always so strange to me that we don't have any decent college bball programs in NYC (whereas North Carolina, Kentucky, and Kansas are powerhouses).

Welcome aboard! Woo Woo!

Found out that Enes won't be freed. He's allowed to practice pending the long shot appeal at the end of the month.

Looks like we're going small 4 guard play all season. We'll be pretty good, but damn, that sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom