• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2010-2011 Season OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewLib

Banned
peppermints said:
Kanter not ineligible and Cody Zeller committed to IU.

Great day to be a Hoosier fan. :D

IU is back, baby!

Kanter is going to make zero difference in the fact UK going to beat IU by 30.

peppermints said:
Kanter not ineligible and Cody Zeller committed to IU.

Great day to be a Hoosier fan. :D

IU is back, baby!

We havent heard this before, I remember the same thing being said when Gordon committed.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/feed/2010-09/enes-kanter

So it wasn’t really hundreds of thousands of dollars. And there wasn’t a salary. And Enes Kanter is not an actual professional basketball player.

For now, though, he also is not a college basketball player. And that is the NCAA’s shame.

Late Thursday afternoon, Kanter, a freshman at Kentucky, was ruled permanently ineligible by the NCAA’s student-athlete reinstatement staff for “receiving benefits above his actual and necessary expenses” while playing in the Fenerbahce club system in his native Turkey.

The NCAA revealed in its declaration of Kanter’s ineligibility that the amount in question is $33,033. According to a source close to the process, about $20,000 of that money was used by the Kanter family to pay for Kanter’ educational expenses—such as schooling and tutors—with the remainder still sitting in an account unused. The NCAA told the family that Fenerbahce would have needed to pay for those expenses directly for them to be permissible.

The Kanters made it clear they were willing to return the available funds—and even repay the 20 grand because they weren’t aware of NCAA procedures and regulations—but the staff declined the offer.

And more

What is frustrating about the NCAA’s decision is its guiding principle in many amateurism cases has been the “intent to professionalize.”

For Kanter to “professionalize” would have been quite simple. He could have stayed home. He could have signed a contract with Fenerbahce worth multiple millions of dollars. He could played in front of his family and friends and quite possibly have been selected this past summer to compete with the Turkey national team that, in its home country, finished second in the FIBA World Championships. If he’d been on that team, he would have received a condominium and a share of an $18 million bonus pool created for the players by the Turkish government.

Given all of this, Kanter’s intent to “amateurize” was quite clear. He left his home. He traveled roughly 5,000 miles to the United States. He searched through several prep schools to find one that would allow a player who had competed in games with professionals to participate on its team. He worked to achieve academic eligibility to compete as an NCAA freshman. He enrolled at the University of Kentucky and attended summer classes and passed on the national team because it would have interfered with fall semester classes at UK.

And then he subjected himself to the NCAA’s excruciating and invasive amateurism review. The process is unpleasant, unyielding and at times unfair. But Kanter and his family endured all of it.

One might expect a person willing to fight that hard to be a part of intercollegiate athletes is someone the NCAA staff would want to include in its competitions. But one would be incorrect.

Free Enes.

bluemax

Banned
Fatalah said:
Steve-Lavin-Red-Storm-Tip-Off.jpeg

Lavin has entered the building! St. John's is back on the map. Lavin's successfully recruited top 100 talent and has assembled a dream team staff. He works like a bolt of lightning.

Needless to say, our fanbase is PUMPED!

Lavin got another job? How did I miss this!

NewLib

Banned
GET EXCITED. FIRST DAY OF COLLEGE BASKETBALL (those 4 games on Monday/Wednesday dont count). 134 Games tonight.

Karakand

NewLib said:
GET EXCITED. FIRST DAY OF COLLEGE BASKETBALL (those 4 games on Monday/Wednesday dont count). 134 Games tonight.
I'll try man it seems like Fouland realized basketball has changed since the 80s this preseason which would mean decades of choking to come.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I know this a close game and all, but Harrison Barnes is kinda real...

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm glad to see Old Dominion beating Georgetown.

My own team starts the regular season tomorrow night. Can't wait.

DY_nasty

DominoKid said:
fellow tar heel fans. larry drew still sucks. that is all.
I really hoped that he'd been cut for academic reasons or snorting cocaine or harboring terrorists or something...

Jones and knight and lamb all make me smile.

What's the deal with Poole? Too rough? Gonna contribute for the next couple of years ala hood? Hes not a bad freshman...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DY_nasty said:
I really hoped that he'd been cut for academic reasons or snorting cocaine or harboring terrorists or something...

I love me some Turnover Jesus. Barnes and Bullock looked good though. Still, that was closer than I think anyone was expecting. Lipscomb?

DY_nasty

truly101 said:
I love me some Turnover Jesus. Barnes and Bullock looked good though. Still, that was closer than I think anyone was expecting. Lipscomb?
Rise of The Mid Majors

They played very well...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DY_nasty said:
Rise of The Mid Majors

They played very well...

I can't say much. Duke won it's last exhibition against Cal Poly Pomona South Tech State Institute by 21 I think. Hopefully they will be better against Princeton on Sunday.

jakncoke

Banned
App St. coach is so pissed :lol

Edit: whats up in the App st. game. they took 1 pt off App St. randomly and increased from .8 to 1.4 wtf is this?

NewLib

Banned
24 Hours of College Basketball starts tonight with some interesting matchups:

Miami at Memphis 12 AM
St. Johns at Saint Marys 2 AM
Virginia Tech at Kansas State 4 PM
Ohio State at Florida 6 PM
Colorado at Georgia 7 PM
Butler at Louisville 8 PM
South Carolina at Michigan State 10 PM
Arizona State at New Mexico 10 PM
San Diego State at Gonzaga 11 PM

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
This is probably a dumb question, but are all those Marathon games actually being played at those times (4 AM, etc)?

DY_nasty

GT is getting smacked right now at home by (N)KSU-Not Kansas State University

LegoDad

DY_nasty said:
lol, KSU vs Virginia Tech tomorrow, they sent out an email stating the game was not an excuse to leave class.. umm, how do you expect a student section during classes at 3pm, if we don't skip. It's on ESPN, use your brains admins!

Karakand said:
Nothing makes me ill quite like the new Pac-101 logo.
I actually really like that logo, and its one of the few logo redesigns in the last few years I like. Wish the Big East would have done something more creative then apping off the already horrible C-USA logo

AntoneM

ASU gonna man-up tomorrow and play their first game of the season on the road at New Mexico in The Pit... for their first loss!

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DY_nasty said:

This is a good thing GT fans. Finally your eyes are open to the fraud that is Paul Hewitt and you'll get a new coach thats actually worth GT's reputation. Seriously, nobody in the ACC has done less with more, no contest.

truly101 said:
This is a good thing GT fans. Finally your eyes are open to the fraud that is Paul Hewitt and you'll get a new coach thats actually worth GT's reputation. Seriously, nobody in the ACC has done less with more, no contest.
Finally open our eyes? We have been calling for Hewitt to be fired for a few years now. His stupid lifetime contract keeps him employed. I don't know a single GT fan who still supports the guy.

GoldenEye 007 said:
UCF won tonight 115-61 over UWF in Orlando. They're Division II, though... so, yeah.

Yeah, I don't blame our coach for bailing on us for UCF. They will be in the Big East in a few years, although South Florida ain't too happy about it.

NewLib

Banned
truly101 said:

Even Gary Williams? I mean I know he won a title (He is the worst coach to win a title since Steve Fisher), but man has he done absolutely shit since then

Edit: Actually I think Gary's problem is more he cant recruit than he cant coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom