• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCIS writers trying to make gamers heads explode through dialogue

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
MechaX said:
What in the... GUI Interface visual basic WHAT
8dqGY.png

rSpooky

You guys are late in discovering this.. lol
It was so hard sitting through this episode.. the "cyber attack" on the pentagon was just the final straw.. ugh.
Normally ncis is a guilty pleasure for me to watch, but this was just awful

Zenith

Banned
Nothing was worse than the CSI Miami take on gamers.

Plot was bunch of gamers reinacting a GTA clone and giving themselves points for acting out scenes in it. First it had one of the most cold-blooded murders ever shown on the show. Then one of the gamers tried to rape a girl to get extra points. The creator of the video game & CEO was a pimply kid in a suit, who went to jail because he refused to tell officers what came next in the (already released) game because it was "proprietary information". One of the CSIs spent the whole ep trying to complete a level so he could tell the officers what would happen next. The killer was a hot girl who did it because "guys won't even look it you unless you play video games".

It was more slanted than the ep where they portrayed designer babies as abused neglected kids who were only mined for organs for their ill elder sibling.

I think the same guy is writing these technological jargon parts for every crime show. There can't be that many terrible writers getting work in the same kinds of shows making the same kind of mindnumbing dialogue.

Xavien

Zenith said:

Plot was bunch of gamers reinacting a GTA clone and giving themselves points for acting out scenes in it. First it had one of the most cold-blooded murders ever shown on the show. Then one of the gamers tried to rape a girl to get extra points. The creator of the video game & CEO was a pimply kid in a suit, who went to jail because he refused to tell officers what came next in the (already released) game because it was "proprietary information". One of the CSIs spent the whole ep trying to complete a level so he could tell the officers what would happen next. The killer was a hot girl who did it because "guys won't even look it you unless you play video games".

It was more slanted than the ep where they portrayed designer babies as abused neglected kids who were only mined for organs for their ill elder sibling.

Yeah, but its CSI: miami, its designed to be ridiculous.

This show is so awful. I wish USA would go back to playing reruns of anything instead of NCIS... House, Law and Order CI/SVU, Monk, Psych... ANYTHING (besides Burn Notice, that show sucks too).

Oh my god... that IRC video is hilarious. Why have I never watched this?
Some part of me suspects its sly winking satire on the part of the advisory staff and the writers or something, its so bad that its genius!

tylovetx

Banned
Wow, so let me see if i can get the gist of this thread: You guys are complaining that they're NOT insulting your intelligence?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
According to Reddit, where I read this yesterday, some guy claiming to be a technical writer said this was done on purpose and the writers from other shows try to see who can troll the hardest.

MechaX

Zenith said:

That episode was hilarious for all of the wrong reasons (although, I guess that can be said for any CSI Miami episode). Hell, I think David Caruso even had a gaming-related one-liner in that episode.

Amir0x

Banned
jesus christ people watch this crap

i mean techobabble aside everything about these shows is awfully written

Narag

McGee looks like shit.

WanderingWind said:
According to Reddit, where I read this yesterday, some guy claiming to be a technical writer said this was done on purpose and the writers from other shows try to see who can troll the hardest.

This would be so great.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Teknopathetic said:
I think the same guy is writing these technological jargon parts for every crime show. There can't be that many terrible writers getting work in the same kinds of shows making the same kind of mindnumbing dialogue.
You obviously don't know the business.

Amir0x said:
jesus christ people watch this crap

i mean techobabble aside everything about these shows is awfully written
I love catching episodes of these kinds of shows every now and then because they're so terrible. Guilty pleasure and schadenfreude and all that.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
WanderingWind said:
I can believe it. There's probably a contest between them on who can get away with the most ridiculous use of techno-jargon that would still fly with their shows' audiences.

Kud Dukan

Kurtofan said:
Is that McGee?
What happened to him?He lost thirty kilos or what.

I watch NCIS on and off, and he's lost a lot of weight over the last few years. It's crazy, especially when you see images of him from a few years ago right next to current images.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
XiaNaphryz said:
I can believe it. There's probably a contest between them on who can get away with the most ridiculous use of techno-jargon that would still fly with their shows' audiences.

NCIS would win. I mean, their audience sees nothing wrong with a 30+ year old Goth working at a government laboratory. "BUT SHES HAWT DERP!"

All shows do this to some extent. Here we notice the obvious bullshit about games/tech related writing, but the same mis-information is just as bad in shows like House with their medical jargon. I bet some med-school forum somewhere theres a similar topic.

Gamers in TV/Movies all act weird, dress weird, and talk weird, and have attitude problems. Theres practically no variation in their portrayal, they'd rather deliver the audience the stereotype they expect. Its like how often black men in movies are loud and make wisecracks, typically during a otherwise serious moment.

Out of all of the gamers I have known in my life, none have ever been that stereotypical of what they portray in these shows. My parents watch NCIS and while I normally don't mind watching it myself (sometimes its interesting), whenever they bring up hacker/gaming topics in the show I just bow my head and leave the room.

i caught one episode (this show is terrible but i can't help but watch it at times) where a person was playing a third-person shooter with their keyboard and increased the framerate by "optimizing the TCP/IP settings"

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh jesus, I rolled my eyes as soon as they mentioned "high scores in online MMOs". Ugh, we've moved beyond just accumulating points and scores people on leaderboards, its all about the experie...
achievement--article_image.jpg

Oh.

AshMcCool

Funny but WTF thats McGee? He looks totally different with the weight loss. I actually think the series is quite ok. Doesn't take itself too serious, and doesn't have this fast editing these shows tend to have nowadays.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Also NCIS makes me rage for other reasons. I hate it when annoying Goth girl pulls up chemicals, and is all like "based on the phosphatic xenon here" and I'm like "No, fuck you! That is a hydrocarbon, looks like its probably an alkene with an alcohol"

OMG Aero

Revolutionary said:
I like how he can deduce that it's a "12 core" just by glancing at the monitor.
No, no, no, that would be just stupid.
He can tell the number of cores by looking at the fire dragon design on the case.

Teknopathetic said:

Belisarius Productions does them all, I think.

Xavien said:
Yeah, but its CSI: miami, its designed to be ridiculous.

horatio-caine.jpg

Christine

Teknopathetic said:

The rumor I heard is that there are a few guys who do this, and they're actually competing with each other to see who can troll the technically literate portion of the audience audience the hardest.

i remember one episode ended with some gangsters getting sent to guantanamo because of some loophole that allowed them to be classified as terrorists and The Smug Asshole was like "you don't have the right to remain silent
Xn8Ia.png
" like "yaaaay us citizens just lost their right to due process yaaaaay"

AshMcCool

The_Technomancer said:
Also NCIS makes me rage for other reasons. I hate it when annoying Goth girl pulls up chemicals, and is all like "based on the phosphatic xenon here" and I'm like "No, fuck you! That is a hydrocarbon, looks like its probably an alkene with an alcohol"

Yeah, I totally noticed that one two!!1
;)

Nothing beats that LIFE episode, I think it was called Life. The killer hid something inside Prince of Persia The Two Thrones for Xbox. You went through one of the portals in the game, when you get an extended piece of life bar, but in the TV Show, it showed all his secret documents! Hoooooooooo!

Nert

Clips like these are only pushing me further into my little bubble of only ever watching shows from a specific set of cable channels.

Zeal

Banned
hang on im creating a GUI interface with visual basic to track the metacritic scores of videogames.

benjipwns

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
i remember one episode ended with some gangsters getting sent to guantanamo because of some loophole that allowed them to be classified as terrorists and The Smug Asshole was like "you don't have the right to remain silent
Xn8Ia.png
" like "yaaaay us citizens just lost their right to due process yaaaaay"
Horatio Caine can barely go five minutes without violating due process, civil rights or some other law.

Top Bottom