• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCIS writers trying to make gamers heads explode through dialogue

Zenith

Banned
Here's a good one:

In the the tv show "Chuck" the creator of Missile Command hid real missile codes for a dormant Japanese satellite at the end of the game. Chuck has to break into Atari HQ (didn't they go bankrupt?). The game's creator is blown up and Chuck is forced to try and complete the whole of Missile Command. The day is saved when they realise the creator based the game's attack patterns on "The Music of the Universe", aka the song Tom Sawyer by the band Rush.

House seemed to be almost inoffensive when it came to video games, then in one episode you saw A GAME DEVELOPER and this is what it was:

-A CG game in which a monkey, a space marine, and some other thing walked around a single small set of corridors shooting at birds with weapons named things like "the Megablaster"
-You wore an ugly set of VR goggles and held a rifle-sized lightgun with no apparent way to control the character's movement (it was very inconsistent about whether or not real-life movement was somehow tied to this)
-You stood on a small platform with a set of waist-high bars in front of it that was apparently installed into the large spacious room, yet there was also a widescreen TV in front of you
-This was some kind of "testing room" since as well all know game developers personally test their own apparently finished games in large empty rooms customized solely for the playing of some batshit insane VR kinect game thing
-They were going to ship in a couple months! (that's why the developers were standing in their testing room playing their game because that's the fastest way to look for graphics to tweak)
-The development studio consisted of three people

EmCeeGramr said:
House seemed to be almost inoffensive when it came to video games, then in one episode you saw A GAME DEVELOPER and this is what it was:

-A CG game in which a monkey, a space marine, and some other thing walked around a single small set of corridors shooting at birds with weapons named things like "the Megablaster"

wait, Mass Effect?

zugzug

I like the Pilot Episode of Fairly Legal on the USA network where the black nerd secretary guy is playing World of Warcraft and he is destroying a tower in Wintergrasp and he pauses the game to talk to the main character then goes back to playing like it was a single player game. He did not just afk actually paused game.

Izayoi

Banned
Feep said:
So, I'm friends with the guy who wrote this episode. In fact, he was bragging about it to me, as he knew I was a pretty big gamer.

I didn't watch it.

Should I...should I say anything to him?
You should kill him.

EmCeeGramr said:

I remember that episode, the only thing I took away from it was how poor the game segments looked visually. It was just hilariously ugly, awful television.

My favorite videogame bit on House was when he was playing Metroid and would apparently "die" every time he tried to pick up a powerup from a chozo statue. So he passes the game off to the patient he's supposed to be with and she does the exact same thing, picks up a powerup from a chozo statue, and it's game over, and she audibly sighs in disappointment.

I always wondered what that might look like to somebody who has never played Metroid. I can't imagine it not looking completely stupid in any context.

Izayoi

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:

-You wore an ugly set of VR goggles and held a rifle-sized lightgun with no apparent way to control the character's movement (it was very inconsistent about whether or not real-life movement was somehow tied to this)
-You stood on a small platform with a set of waist-high bars in front of it that was apparently installed into the large spacious room, yet there was also a widescreen TV in front of you
-This was some kind of "testing room" since as well all know game developers personally test their own apparently finished games in large empty rooms customized solely for the playing of some batshit insane VR kinect game thing
-They were going to ship in a couple months! (that's why the developers were standing in their testing room playing their game because that's the fastest way to look for graphics to tweak)
House playing Metroid makes all of that moot, though.

Who made that decision, anyway? The directors or Hugh Laurie himself?

FStop7

Banned
Zenith said:
Here's a good one:

In the the tv show "Chuck" the creator of Missile Command hid real missile codes for a dormant Japanese satellite at the end of the game. Chuck has to break into Atari HQ (didn't they go bankrupt?). The game's creator is blown up and Chuck is forced to try and complete the whole of Missile Command. The day is saved when they realise the creator based the game's attack patterns on "The Music of the Universe", aka the song Tom Sawyer by the band Rush.

Why the fuck does anyone watch this shit?

"Finger print analysis came back showing that the suspect enjoyed playing axis power on a board game. He clearly has no love for his country"

Something like that. Same eps. When was NCIS ever serious?

jns

lol, the tech writers have to be half trolling, half making technobabble that mom/dad/mouth breathers who watch the show will be impressed by.

All in all, I'd say they were successful.

Articate

Banned
Nirolak said:
Nintendo's product placement marketing dollars.

Seriously, whenever I see your avatar in the corner of my eye, I think it's a unicorn. Don't ask me how.

XiaNaphryz said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rGTXHvPCQ
Haha. Like anyone calls IRC "Internet Relay Chat". And I love that they're just omnipresent on all IRC-servers.

Oh, also, did anyone watch EXistenZ? It was on the telly randomly like 10 years ago, and I watched it. The premiss was so cool! Now I've been scared for life.

John

Feep said:
So, I'm friends with the guy who wrote this episode. In fact, he was bragging about it to me, as he knew I was a pretty big gamer.

I didn't watch it.

if he's the guy who wrote "we're not the fbi, dirtbag" then pat him on the back for creating my family's most profound in-joke

Izayoi

Banned
Nirolak said:
Nintendo's product placement marketing dollars.
You think so? But it's only like for two seconds, and only people who have already played (and most likely already own) the game are going to recognize it... I mean, I dunno. Seems like kind of a waste.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
EmCeeGramr said:
To date though, House is the only show I have ever seen where a character was shown using a 360 controller/Dualshock and actually pressing buttons and pushing thumbsticks like an actual player, and not wildly flailing on everything while looking very angry. Even Big Bang Theory got that wrong, it was cringeworthy.

TheExodu5

Banned
Swordfish still probably has the most retarded version of hacking I've seen.

Unrelated: I like the comment in the IRC youtube video:

"We'll never catch him, he's using a PROXY!"

"Proxy?"

"Think of it like four bears, standing atop of each other. The one below passes information in the form of hexadecimal kilobytes. The one in the middle is riding a unicycle, which is the IP address of the hacker's network system interface data"

"IP address?"

"It's like rain, when you're already late. Think of it as 10000 spoons when all you need is a knife"

"Spoon?"

"Imagine a spork without the fork part, and a clan of mermaids that..."

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Zenith said:
Here's a good one:

That one was quite obviously tongue-in-cheek. The entire series is smeared in a thick coat of camp.

EmCeeGramr said:

Hey at least you don't need all that VR crap to play that game anymore. Foreman and Taub were playing it on Foreman's 360 a couple episodes ago with standard 360 controllers...and then later with lightguns.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Scott32020 said:
I think that was Law and Order: SVU
It was. I remember something about the cops needing to change night to day to trick the pedophile into coming out and the company who ran the game said "NOOOOOOOO we'll confuse millions of players worldwide!"

The_Technomancer said:
Link? I really want to watch them ooh and aah over SL's "cutting edge graphics"
I don't remember seeing much of the actual game in the show. It was just all the stuff around it that made that episode a real winner.

John

Earl Cazone said:
a videogame console is a computer. it is a harddrive with games on it!

and then randomly opens windows 98 if you're good at PoP
that game was fucking hard, i'll give them that

onken

Man that is fucking excruciating.

My mother in law watches NCIS quite a lot and it is without a doubt the biggest offender on TV when it comes to techno-bullshit like this. That goth-nerd lab character is just the fucking pits.

Jive Turkey said:
It was. I remember something about the cops needing to change night to day to trick the pedophile into coming out and the company who ran the game said "NOOOOOOOO we'll confuse millions of players worldwide!"

I don't remember seeing much of the actual game in the show. It was just all the stuff around it that made that episode a real winner.
oh my god i remember that

"RAISE THE SUN NOW"

and it was also not just to trick them into coming out, it was like the house was a replica of their real-life house and they needed the sun to come up so they could see where it was located (like it was next to a lake or something and only by using the cardinal directions from a digital sun in a fake world could they figure it out)

wsippel

Banned
I still can't get over the fact that Matrix of all movies is probably the only one to show a realistic hack. Not only that, the hack they showed was actually a very real privilege escalation that indeed worked just like that on certain Linux kernels. Matrix!

MisterHero

There was an episode of L&O:SVU where they were trying to prove that violent videogames affected the players' brains, and so they hooked the suspect (charged with killing a woman and stealing a car) to a game setup with a visor. The next series of shots were of the kid playing at different angles, and the same 5 second clip of the game character kicking a downed woman and getting into a car, repeated over and over.

I think the episode was alright, but yes, the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
EmCeeGramr said:
oh my god i remember that

"RAISE THE SUN NOW"

and it was also not just to trick them into coming out, it was like the house was a replica of their real-life house and they needed the sun to come up so they could see where it was located (like it was next to a lake or something and only by using the cardinal directions from a digital sun in a fake world could they figure it out)
Oh shit! That's right! God that episode was so good.

wsippel

Banned
D-Pad said:
They created pixels!
Reminds me of some really terrible German TV show in which the "computer expert" erased to fucking foreground of a digital image to make the number plate of car parked behind a bush visible. I could actually feel my synapses dying during that scene.

Feep said:

I didn't watch it.

Just link him to this thread. :p

Top Bottom