• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ND Got GAF Feedback Re: UC3 Aiming Issues, Cutscene Viewer, Animation Changes Coming

MrPliskin

Banned
Admittedly, yeah, I'm pretty impatient over this, but considering...

1. I bought this game day 1, full price, and it feels like I've been beta testing for the last 3 weeks. It's getting harder to rationalize these days why I shouldn't just buy a game used or wait for a sale.

2. Constantly hearing that the patch is coming "soon" (over a week ago) and that we were supposed to get patch details over the weekend, which unless I missed something, turned out to be false.

I'm sorry, but the "issues" in Uncharted, while not ideal, are far from game breaking. How about you go buy Skyrim instead, and then see what it's REALLY like to waste your money on a developer who truly doesn't give a shit about the product you receive? At least Naughty Dog promptly got on the issue, and is taking care of it. Bethesda has yet to even acknowledge its community with regards to the problems Skyrim has on PS3. It's disgusting.

I can understand your frustration, but Uncharted 3 is still playable, not broken, etc. You didn't waste your money, and I think ND has gone through admirable lengths to make sure you are satisfied in the end.

It really isn't playable. The fact I stopped playing it so early on proves that, since it was one of my most anticipated games of the year.

Some people might deal with it and work around it, but for those of us who don't want to do that it just feels like shit.

The fact that the shooting mechanics have been ruined, such a core focus of the game, is just as bad, if not worse, than all of the glitches in a huge open world game. It's something that NEVER should have happened.

ND are usually flawless, and the fact they're addressing it is good, but they need to take a lot of blame here and can't be surprised people are angry.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Focus-tested for 3 months and no comments on this, huh?

Interesting. Makes me wonder about my own sanity.

I know, even after being told about it they said they couldn't replicate the fault or something...the mind boggles. Just go out and buy a copy of the game and see for yourselves, you fucking n00bs.
I think the biggest problem was that many small changes that they got used to over a long period of time added up to a huge change for us, the people who didn't play all those small changes.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm sorry, but the "issues" in Uncharted, while not ideal, are far from game breaking. How about you go buy Skyrim instead, and then see what it's REALLY like to waste your money on a developer who truly doesn't give a shit about the product you receive? At least Naughty Dog promptly got on the issue, and is taking care of it. Bethesda has yet to even acknowledge its community with regards to the problems Skyrim has on PS3. It's disgusting.

I can understand your frustration, but Uncharted 3 is still playable, not broken, etc. You didn't waste your money, and I think ND has gone through admirable lengths to make sure you are satisfied in the end.
Uh, Bethesda has acknowledged the PS3 issues and completed the patch. They have handed the PS3 and 360 patches over to the respective QA departments as Sony and Microsoft for testing. The patch should be available within a week or so.

It's a hell of a lot more difficult to work with a game as large as Skyrim, though, and Bethesda isn't exactly known for the technical prowess either.

MrPliskin

Banned
It really isn't playable. The fact I stopped playing it so early on proves that, since it was one of my most anticipated games of the year.

Some people might deal with it and work around it, but for those of us who don't want to do that it just feels like shit.

The fact that the shooting mechanics have been ruined, such a core focus of the game, is just as bad, if not worse, than all of the glitches in a huge open world game. It's something that NEVER should have happened.

ND are usually flawless, and the fact they're addressing it is good, but they need to take a lot of blame here and can't be surprised people are angry.

Haha, yea okay. I'll bow out of this thread before I start saying things I'll regret.

Uh, Bethesda has acknowledged the PS3 issues and completed the patch. They have handed the PS3 and 360 patches over to the respective QA departments as Sony and Microsoft for testing. The patch should be available within a week or so.

It's a hell of a lot more difficult to work with a game as large as Skyrim, though, and Bethesda isn't exactly known for the technical prowess either.

So they've acknowledged that they failed to fix a bug that has persisted over the last 5 years? As far as I know, they've simply said "we're releasing a patch to address technical issues" and "we're working on a new patch, we'll announce details when we have them". Their communication to the community has been disgusting at best, and their reputation hardly excuses them from any kind of poor community management.

Hell, Resistance 3 was a steamy turd, technically, when it release, and Insomniac communicated each and every bug fix and problem they were working on days after release, and always kept their community informed. So did Naughty Dog. And a multitude of other development studios. Inexcusable.

So what about, ya know, all those other people who anticipated just as much, finished it, and found it quite playable?
People have different definitions of the word. Lots of people try to argue Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 was playable, whereas it blatantly wasn't to me with a framerate of about 10 half the time.

I judge what's playable by my own standards. Just because some people enjoy it and can finish the game with the controls doesn't mean it's not unplayable for me. Considering the shooting in the previous games felt great, that's broken.

Tizoc

Uh is the aiming issue for the US ver. only? Cuz my brother is playing the EU ver. and we got past Chapter 5 with no aiming issues to make note of; he aimed, fired and the enemy was damaged.
Or does it become more apparent in later chapters?

Ricky_R

Lord!!! Nothing has been ruined.

There were some changes with the aiming that not everybody felt comfortable with. While I found the aiming different, I completed the game with no issues. Nothing broken, nothing ruined.

People have different definitions of the word. Lots of people try to argue Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 was playable, whereas it blatantly wasn't to me with a framerate of about 10 half the time.

I judge what's playable by my own standards. Just because some people enjoy it and can finish the game with the controls doesn't mean it's not unplayable for me. Considering the shooting in the previous games felt great, that's broken.

Considering that I too DETEST PS2 SOTC with a burning passion as overrated artsy horseshit, we are on the same team. I too hate the UC3 controls, although I can't go out and say unplayable, since it clearly was. It'd be far better with good controls though, especially on replays now that the intial wow factor is gone and the puzzles are all solved, you're just left with bad shooting sections.

I haven't played SOTC on PS3 yet, so I can't say if the game itself is bad. I really liked Ico when I played it last month!

But yeah, I could not play SOTC on PS2 due to framerate and I can't play UC3 because of these controls. Simple as that, really. Nothing anyone can say will convince me otherwise because I've played it and I know how it felt.

LiK

Uh is the aiming issue for the US ver. only? Cuz my brother is playing the EU ver. and we got past Chapter 5 with no aiming issues to make note of; he aimed, fired and the enemy was damaged.
Yes

.la1n

Obviously your brother is not wearing the proper GAF glasses.

MrPliskin

Banned

Unplayable / Broken are terms that are not that of "opinion" 90% of the time.

If people can complete the game without major difficulty or inconvenience, then it is not broken. Broken is a game that crashes constantly, doesn't let you complete certain objectives, or suffers from considerable performance issues a majority of the time.

Unplayable, I can give you, as perhaps you are that sensitive to these things and needed better controls to play. However, the torches and pitch forks are less than necessary at this point. These things don't happen over night, and you really should be more patient. Patches can break other things in games, and rushing them is NEVER a good idea. It's best they take their time and get it right the first time.

deepbrown

While there are issues, I'm getting headshots galore and enjoying the hell out of the shooting... hardly unplayable.

Dartastic

it feels like I'm waiting for a second release date on the game at this point, despite it sitting waiting on my entertainment unit. Hopefully Sony speed this patch through.

Whatever happened to Naughty Dog post-Uncharted 2 wrap up hasn't been for the best, whether they've become a little arrogant or worse; sloppy. They progressively made Uncharted 2's MP worse with each patch to produce something in 3 I have absolutely no interest in, and whoever was in charge of 3's single player critical gameplay elements really fucked up now as well.

Maybe theres some internal Sony guy thats actually some kind of supervillain/mole that see's to it that Guerilla fuck up everything that made Killzone 2 multiplayer great for 3, and now somehow managed to mind-fuck ND into dog-turding up their aiming systems for their sequel. Perhaps he also keeps deleting The Last Guardian's source code. Yes. Who is this man? We must find and kill him.

I know, right? I haven't finished the game yet as a result of this and I keep hoping for a new patch. Once it hits I plan to start over and enjoy the entire thing at once.

I have been playing multiplayer and, say what you want, but I'm loving it just as much as I did Uncharted 2 originally. It plays very well in multiplayer and is a hell of a lot more fun for me than most other shooters available this season.

I really hope the patch comes tomorrow at the latest, I plan on playing and completing the game this week
Pretty much. I'm in the desert right now, and the part during the
sand storm
is absolutely killing it for me. I can't play it anymore. =(

Ricky_R

and I can't play UC3 because of these controls. Simple as that, really. Nothing anyone can say will convince me otherwise because I've played it and I know how it felt.

That's the thing. Nobody is trying to convince you of anything. I (as well as many others) understand your issue and if the game is unplayable for you then we have no right to say otherwise.

Our argument is that the game is not unplayable for everybody and it's definitely not broken.

I really hope you can feel satisfied when the patch releases though, because the game is pretty good.

jackdoe

Unplayable, I can give you, as perhaps you are that sensitive to these things and needed better controls to play. However, the torches and pitch forks are less than necessary at this point. These things don't happen over night, and you really should be more patient. Patches can break other things in games, and rushing them is NEVER a good idea. It's best they take their time and get it right the first time.
Unplayable means you can't beat the game. I can probably beat it if I played. It is probably better to say, unenjoyable. Because I am not having any fun with the controls which is why I stopped playing.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Wow, the whining has been taken to another level. Never change GAF. There's a difference between unplayable and frustrating. The aiming is frustrating and you have to fight it sometimes but by no means is this game unplayable. I beat the game on crushing and hard if that's any consolation.

jackdoe

They release a patch for the issues yet people still want to attack ND?

What is the point of complaining anymore?
Er... I think the complaining is still happening because the patch hasn't come out yet. I guess we complainers are hoping that voicing complaints may fast track a patch through Sony QA.

Er... I think the complaining is still happening because the patch hasn't come out yet. I guess we complainers are hoping that voicing complaints may fast track a patch through Sony QA.

Why would you want to fast track something that could cause other issues? Just be happy they listened and it's being fixed. Let the proper course happen. Last thing we want is something rushed that breaks something.

ced

I just beat the game on hard, and did not feel for a second there was an issue with aiming. WTF?

Your not alone.

I however thought I had a bug or a broken copy when I first had a gun put in my hands. I actually restarted it cause I couldn't aim worth a shit.

It's crazy how polarizing this is, because for me at least, it's easy to reproduce and show the aiming is broken, yes broken not just different.

When I try and move the reticule in a diagonal direction, it doesn't go in that direction, it moves on the X & Y axis.

more like it should not have been there in the first fucking place. Fast tracking is how we got the game as it is today.

I don't know how developers like ND grin and bear comments like this, knowing how much hard work they put into their games. You make it sound like they just half-assed U3.

TheExodu5

Banned
Some people simply aren't sensitive to this kind of thing. Me? I can feel a frame of lag when playing PC games no problem, and this was even easier to detect by comparison. I'm extremely sensitive to control issues, so this made the game pretty unplayable for me.

I'm also one of the only persons I know that can't play Warhawk because of the aiming controls. The acceleration, deadzone, and input lag are so brutal that the game is uncontrolable for me.

vaelic

Banned
you all do realize that us forum posters are the VOCAL MINORITY voice in the aiming issue. 90% of the JOE PUBLIC couldnt care less/even know about the issue

LiK

you all do realize that us forum posters are the VOCAL MINORITY voice in the aiming issue. 90% of the JOE PUBLIC couldnt care less/even know about the issue
I think that applies for any other game that has bugs or glitches. Guess who reports them and gets shit fixed?

Alex

Game is playable, of course but with the aiming how it is I'd really just rather not put up with it when I have other, non-aggravating games to play. Small glitches are one thing but when your core gameplay mechanic is tripped out in a game like this it's rough, I really just wonder how you miss something like that, especially in such a big, expensive release.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I look forward to playing again after the patch, but the only thing left for me to achieve really is finding all the treasures, which is just a reminder of how they are now worthless because they don't count towards unlocking anything. :(

MrPliskin

Banned

Doesn't work like that.

Do you have a point?

The point is they got their money, and they are still fixing things for a small select user base. Have some god damn gratitude. They could very well be acting like Bethesda, but they aren't.

Bowdz

Doesn't work like that.

The point is they got their money, and they are still fixing things for a small select user base. Have some god damn gratitude. They could very well be acting like Bethesda, but they aren't.

I really am impressed by ND speed with this issue. I remember Arne responding a few days after release (which I'm sure is a hectic period at the office) and then to follow up by asking for people to come in and give persona feedback really is showing appreciation to you fanbase. Given how notorious Sony's approval process is (the same process that took Castle Crasher some couple of months to make it through), it damn impressive that it is already being approved a mere 3 weeks after release.

This is also for a non-gamebreaking issue (coming from a person who really hates the changes made in the U3 controls). Bioware has yet to patch ME2 with some well documented, gamebreaking glitches that have been around since launch (i.e. floating up on walls and literally having to quite out of the game to fix). There are a select few developers who care enough about their products to patch them at all and an even fewer number who strive to notably improve their games through patching (remember ND patched U2 a few months after release which GREATLY reduced load times across the board). To have a developer truly concerned about their product and trying to fix it immediately after release is something that really isn't seen regularly and ND definitely deserve some credit IMO.

Glix

I played through the game on normal and didn't notice the issue, but I'm not a huge shooter guy.

I wanted to come in here though to say how blown away I am at how ND responded. Way to go guys!

Lastly, I'd like to think that EVERY dev would be open to things like this, but rarely do they have the resources/leeway with publisher, that ND has. But still, many many kudos guys.

PS - The game was spectacular.

Top Bottom