• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ND Got GAF Feedback Re: UC3 Aiming Issues, Cutscene Viewer, Animation Changes Coming

I really am impressed by ND speed with this issue. I remember Arne responding a few days after release (which I'm sure is a hectic period at the office) and then to follow up by asking for people to come in and give persona feedback really is showing appreciation to you fanbase. Given how notorious Sony's approval process is (the same process that took Castle Crasher some couple of months to make it through), it damn impressive that it is already being approved a mere 3 weeks after release.

This is also for a non-gamebreaking issue (coming from a person who really hates the changes made in the U3 controls). Bioware has yet to patch ME2 with some well documented, gamebreaking glitches that have been around since launch (i.e. floating up on walls and literally having to quite out of the game to fix). There are a select few developers who care enough about their products to patch them at all and an even fewer number who strive to notably improve their games through patching (remember ND patched U2 a few months after release which GREATLY reduced load times across the board). To have a developer truly concerned about their product and trying to fix it immediately after release is something that really isn't seen regularly and ND definitely deserve some credit IMO.

The speed in which this patch is moving is not at all remarkable. Many games get patches, and I've seen games get patches in shorter time than this. Also, the time right after a game releases is actually one of the more laid back times in most development studios, as the game is now done, and most people are taking time off, and relaxing a bit. Unless they're working on DLC.

Lastly, other developers failings and lack of response does not make any difference to how we should judge these problems with U3. Naughty Dog is a first party PS3 studio, and thus they're going to be held to a higher level of scrutiny.

I haven't played the game since the day it came out and I got to the chateau.

Sucks that I paid full price for this when I could have just waited and gotten it far cheaper.

If only I had followed my heart and rented the game first like I intended.

The speed in which this patch is moving is not at all remarkable. Many games get patches, and I've seen games get patches in shorter time than this. Also, the time right after a game releases is actually one of the more laid back times in most development studios, as the game is now done, and most people are taking time off, and relaxing a bit. Unless they're working on DLC.

Lastly, other developers failings and lack of response does not make any difference to how we should judge these problems with U3. Naughty Dog is a first party PS3 studio, and thus they're going to be held to a higher level of scrutiny.

So what the hell is the problem? More than enough people have been raising hell over the issues, ND has reached out to the community and devised a patch based on feedback, and a patch is now in testing. What the fuck more can ND do? Jesus, some of you sound like spoiled children!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Sony QA has been taking a longer time than ever before getting patches through lately, even for their first party games. Resistance 3's patches took forever to get through. The testing process for a patch like this has to be extremely comprehensive to make sure it doesn't break anything else.

kneePat

The point is they got their money, and they are still fixing things for a small select user base. Have some god damn gratitude. They could very well be acting like Bethesda, but they aren't.

Does not compute.

I haven't played the game since the day it came out and I got to the chateau.

Sucks that I paid full price for this when I could have just waited and gotten it far cheaper.

If only I had followed my heart and rented the game first like I intended.

Dude, haven't you heard? You should be fucking thankful they're fixing the issue, not complaining about the hard earned money you spent! Get a clue and Have some god damn gratitude.

test_account

XP-39C²
Does not compute.
His point is that only a small minority complains about the aiming issue, so Naughty Dog could easily just ignore this problem if they want to. It is not always that developers listen to the smaller minority. So he says that people should have some gratitude that ND actually takes the time and resources to fix this thing for the smaller minority instead of just ignoring it. The patch is coming, so there isnt really much left to complain about.

His point is that only a small minority complains about the aiming issue, so Naughty Dog could easily just ignore this problem if they want to. It is not always that developers listen to the smaller minority. So he says that people should have some gratitude that ND actually takes the time and resources to fix this thing for the smaller minority instead of just ignoring it. The patch is coming, so there isnt really much left to complain about.

Exactly. There's no need to be a dick about it and whine and complain about hard earned money, etc. The game is not broken, and the issues are being addressed, so put your big boy pants on and move on.

kneePat

His point is that only a small minority complains about the aiming issue, so Naughty Dog could easily just ignore this problem if they want to. It is not always that developers listen to the smaller minority.

His point is absurd. Doesn't matter how small a minority complains, if something is broken and you have any interest in doing the right thing, you fix it. And when I say broken, I mean fucking broken (I don't want to get into the argument of playable/unplayable) as in the game is not playing as you intended because if it were you WOULDN'T BE FIXING IT.

You are Naughty Dog, not Bethesda, and you do what ever you feel is right as far as your game and fans are concerned. I don't need someone to tell me that Naughty Dog deserves my thanks and my money for not being like Bethesda, fuck that. His point isn't along the lines of you should give props to ND for fixing the issue, I already have, but is insinuating that I should be fucking grateful for buying their broken product because of how well they support their product (which is arguably not that great). And it's quite ridiculous.

Just because a small minority experiences aiming issues, is it more acceptable to ignore them? The whole small minority thing is ridiculous at this point anyway, ND is releasing a patch for an issue because they agree that it is not working as intended. So the issue affects everyone and is present, regardless of the degree to which it affects them.

Bethesda is getting plenty of shit for their wrongdoings, and this problem was known about well before Skyrim was even released. Don't justify the actions of one company by those of another, it makes you look infantile. Please tell me you see the fallacy in that logic, the thread title says Naughty Dog not Bethesda, I gave my money to Naughty Dog not Bethesda, etc.

Bowdz

From the sound of it, the patch has been in Sony's approval process for a least a week now. That puts a patch adding in motion blur and larger control fixes being completed within a week of release. If anything is delaying the release, it is Sony's internal process (which is notorious for this) and not the speed ND is working.

Shai-Tan

Banned
the average gamer isn't going to try to decompose the different systems in the game but it's possible people who didn't notice it would think the alternative is better. so in the end the "90%" could be better off anyway. ive seen too many comments about the aiming that were entirely disconnected from sites like this to think it's just an inside baseball thing.

Exactly. There's no need to be a dick about it and whine and complain about hard earned money, etc. The game is not broken, and the issues are being addressed, so put your big boy pants on and move on.
You seem awfully sensitive over this. Things have been pretty civil in this thread...not sure why you're getting all worked up over it. :\

And for the record, it seems for the most part people are appreciative that ND is actually fixing this issue.

test_account

XP-39C²
Indeed. They are fixing the problem and that is the most important thing :)

His point is absurd. Doesn't matter how small a minority complains, if something is broken and you have any interest in doing the right thing, you fix it. And when I say broken, I mean fucking broken (I don't want to get into the argument of playable/unplayable) as in the game is not playing as you intended because if it were you WOULDN'T BE FIXING IT.

You are Naughty Dog, not Bethesda, and you do what ever you feel is right as far as your game and fans are concerned. I don't need someone to tell me that Naughty Dog deserves my thanks and my money for not being like Bethesda, fuck that. His point isn't along the lines of you should give props to ND for fixing the issue, I already have, but is insinuating that I should be fucking grateful for buying their broken product because of how well they support their product (which is arguably not that great). And it's quite ridiculous.

Just because a small minority experiences aiming issues, is it more acceptable to ignore them? The whole small minority thing is ridiculous at this point anyway, ND is releasing a patch for an issue because they agree that it is not working as intended. So the issue affects everyone and is present, regardless of the degree to which it affects them.

Bethesda is getting plenty of shit for their wrongdoings, and this problem was known about well before Skyrim was even released. Don't justify the actions of one company by those of another, it makes you look infantile. Please tell me you see the fallacy in that logic, the thread title says Naughty Dog not Bethesda, I gave my money to Naughty Dog not Bethesda, etc.
I see what you mean, and i agree that what he said might look a bit like that, but i dont think he ment it like that actually. I think he ment it like "ND have your money, so they could just easily ignore the problem. They already sold you the game, so they dont make any more money off you by fixing the problem, and since few complain about it, it is easy to ignore. But instead ND took the problem seriously, so show some gratitude".

About the minority, i agree with that, everyone has their right to say their opinion, it doesnt matter if it is just a small group. But in this case, in a technical way there is nothing that is broken in the game regarding the aiming. People have already beaten the game on crushing without any big problems. This doesnt mean that the aiming is the best that it could be, but it is not techincally broken like a game breaking bug or so, so it is nothing something that litterally must be fixed. It is not always that developers want to fix something like this if it is only a smaller minority that complain about it, but ND still took it very seriously :)

So what the hell is the problem? More than enough people have been raising hell over the issues, ND has reached out to the community and devised a patch based on feedback, and a patch is now in testing. What the fuck more can ND do? Jesus, some of you sound like spoiled children!

I was simply pointing out that all the praise and putting Naughty Dog on a pedestal is unwarranted. I guess that was missed on you.

The game came out with weird aiming issues, more bugs than previous Uncharted games, and difficulty spikes. We shouldn't be slathering praise on them, and talking about how impressive it is they're "doing this for us". No, they're just fixing stuff that the game shouldn't have shipped with in the first place.

jax (old)

Banned
they deserve to be put on the pedestal. Weirdness with the shooting aside; and for all the niggles, UC3 is still a top tier release. Had a better time with it then most titles and I actually bothered to complete it.

I do agree with "they're just fixing stuff that the game shouldn't have shipped with in the first place. " <--- that said; what would be horrific if they didn't fix it but they are.

I personally hope they fix stumble drunk drake; look left/right every 3 steps overly animated drake too + elena's face.

Its not GOTY but ND are still incredibly talent all around

jax (old)

Banned
btw : the fix is an option in the settings - it does not override the game's default setting if people don't feel there's an issue. The fact that its there as a setting to toggle on; is great. It doesn't fundamentally change the shooting game for guys who don't think it isn't broken.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
btw : the fix is an option in the settings - it does not override the game's default setting if people don't feel there's an issue. The fact that its there as a setting to toggle on; is great. It doesn't fundamentally change the shooting game for guys who don't think it isn't broken.

Sounds exactly like the KZ2 aiming patch. Awesome.

yurinka

sounds great. It's always good to have options.

they deserve to be put on the pedestal. Weirdness with the shooting aside; and for all the niggles, UC3 is still a top tier release. Had a better time with it then most titles and I actually bothered to complete it.

I do agree with "they're just fixing stuff that the game shouldn't have shipped with in the first place. " <--- that said; what would be horrific if they didn't fix it but they are.

I personally hope they fix stumble drunk drake; look left/right every 3 steps overly animated drake too + elena's face.

Its not GOTY but ND are still incredibly talent all around

I agree that Naughty Dog is still an elite lite developer, and U3 is one of my favorite games of the year.

I just don't think they deserve praise for fixing stuff.

MrPliskin

Banned

I love when junior members come out of the wood works to make a name for themselves. You clearly cannot comprehend what I've written (as you've misconstrued my point) and you are only interested in raising your pitchforks. You don't even know what a "broken" game is, at least that's the impression your posts give.

test_account

XP-39C²
I agree that Naughty Dog is still an elite lite developer, and U3 is one of my favorite games of the year.

It is possible to see it as more of an addition rather than a fix. I think that "a fix" sounds more like something is objectively broken, but that isnt the case with the aiming in Uncharted 3. The aiming can probably be done better indeed, but it is not litterally/objectivly broken :) ND could easily have said something like "this is how we made the aim, love it or hate it".

Gyrian

hope we get a full autoaim toggle.

Absolutely. The 'sticky' reticle annoys the hell out of me in the MP component as well.

The way they're going about doing so is pretty out of the ordinary, and praise worthy.

They've reached out to the community and even brought a couple of players in-house to better understand the problem and test solutions.
A lot of people are upset at how long it's taking to get the update released or to even see notes on the changes, but you've got to recognize that their approach on this is more responsive than what you would expect from most developers. A little more patience and we'll finally see what made the cut.

My guess is that at this point, with how sensitive it's all become, they're aiming to under promise and over deliver.

It is possible to see it as more of an addition rather than a fix. I think that "a fix" sounds more like something is objectively broken, but that isnt the case with the aiming in Uncharted 3. The aiming can probably be done better indeed, but it is not litterally/objectivly broken :) ND could easily have said something like "this is how we made the aim, love it or hate it".

That would be fine if all this patch fixed was the aiming, but it's also fixing the broken motion blur and bugs in general.

It really seems that Naughty Dog was rushing to finish this game near the end, and so this patch is probably allowing them to get things right.

MrPliskin

Banned
That would be fine if all this patch fixed was the aiming, but it's also fixing the broken motion blur and bugs in general.

It really seems that Naughty Dog was rushing to finish this game near the end, and so this patch is probably allowing them to get things right.

And you somehow think ND could afford to miss their release date, and that this isn't partly Sony's fault? Again, they don't have to do shit for us, and could go on working on Uncharted 4 and it would still sell well. What ND has done here isn't the norm, so you shouldn't write it off. We also should t exaggerate the nature of these problems, they are not severe.

test_account

XP-39C²

Isnt the issue with motion blur that there is no motion blur? Motion blur is really not necessary in my opinion, so i would concider it as an addition as well. Smaller bugs are fixed in almost every game, so that isnt anything unusual.

I have no idea if they rushed the game or not, but it is good that these things are added later on at least :)

But in this case, in a technical way there is nothing that is broken in the game regarding the aiming. People have already beaten the game on crushing without any big problems. This doesnt mean that the aiming is the best that it could be, but it is not techincally broken like a game breaking bug or so, so it is nothing something that litterally must be fixed.

Naughty Dog themselves said they intended for the aiming in Uncharted 3 to be more precise than in Uncharted 1 or 2; that it is meant to allow more directions of reticle movement. The fact that what we got is the complete opposite of their stated goal suggests to me that it is indeed broken, regardless of whether or not people have managed to adapt.

I'd still just like to know how the aiming ended up the way it did. Is the wonky aiming present for all players or is it a bug only present under certain conditions? Was it a bizarre design decision and, if so, why does the aiming differ drastically between the single player campaign and multiplayer? The contrast between their goal and the actual result as well as the wide range of opinions on the aiming make me think it's a bug. However, the patch will only be offering improved controls as an option, not as the default, which hints at it being a (terrible) design decision. Hope we get some form of explanation along with the patch.

jackdoe

And you somehow think ND could afford to miss their release date, and that this isn't partly Sony's fault? Again, they don't have to do shit for us, and could go on working on Uncharted 4 and it would still sell well. What ND has done here isn't the norm, so you shouldn't write it off. We also should t exaggerate the nature of these problems, they are not severe.
That's entirely your opinion though. They are severe enough to me to make the game completely unenjoyable and frustrating. So I wouldn't say it's an exaggeration to say I really don't like the aiming and think there's something wrong with it.

Again, I appreciate the patch. And I want to play the game.

jax (old)

Banned
aiming is a bit broken. when you try to shoot the 1st lock; its like wooosh, reticle going all over the shop instead of homing in easily. I mean, all I'm doing is trying to shoot a lock thats an arms length away and its acting kind of stupid.

I wonder how QA let that slip. They need a whole new batch of testers.

All I've stated is that they don't deserve praise for fixing these things. I didn't say the game should have been delayed, just that IMO this patch is just Naughty Dog getting it right, weeks after the game launched.

Also, lots of developers release patches for their games all the time these days. This is pretty much the norm.

Isnt the issue with motion blur that there is no motion blur? Motion blur is really not necessary in my opinion, so i would concider it as an addition as well. Smaller bugs are fixed in almost every game, so that isnt anything unusual.

I have no idea if they rushed the game or not, but it is good that these things are added later on at least :)

The motion blur was built into the game all along. When they showed the game at E3, it had motion blur. For some reason it wasn't there in the final code, and they're now rectifying that. They're not adding in a new feature. Just fixing one that wasn't properly working.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I wonder what the motion blur is going to do to the framerate. will be interesting for sure.

I can't imagine they'd patch it in if it would hurt performance in any way. Though it's also hard to imagine how it could NOT affect performance. I guess I am in the same state of wonder as you.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I wonder what the motion blur is going to do to the framerate. will be interesting for sure.

Some of the comments from devs have made it sound like it was calculated but just not applied so I doubt it'll do anything to the framerate.

Corto

I can't imagine they'd patch it in if it would hurt performance in any way. Though it's also hard to imagine how it could NOT affect performance. I guess I am in the same state of wonder as you.

I seem to remember reading that motion blur is already on the code but it just doesn't appear on screen for some reason. So if ND fixes what is conflicting the materialization of motion blur it won't hit the performance of the game as it is already being calculated in the unpatched version.

I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean but I hope you're not actually throwing spoilers at somebody (being me) who just mentioned they picked up the game moments before
NO spoilers here .
But what is wrong with the menu .. a rifle buried in a desert .. what else to animate ? The menu is fine .it's simple , doing his purpose and nobody stay on that menu because we are playing the game . ( SP or MP ). U2 menu had too much details that served little to no purpose . UI and menu are the last things to bother ..

What ND has done here isn't the norm, so you shouldn't write it off. We also should t exaggerate the nature of these problems, they are not severe.

Leaving out motion blur, which was a pretty major aspect of Uncharted 2's look, is severe enough to suggest that the game was indeed rushed out the door -- given that a large patch only a month after release is allegedly going to put it back in.

Now it speaks volumes about ND's development process that, despite clear indications that they were very pressed for time at the end, they still were able to release such a polished product overall. Clearly their priorities were not totally messed up. Still the deadline was such that they had to rush things.

As for all this "they don't have to do shit for us, they can just make Uncharted 4, and it would still sell well" BS... well, it's BS. I mean literally speaking it's true: they don't "have" to do shit for anyone. And given the situation the fact they're doing this stuff is admirable. But the situation did not have to be there in the first place. So to suggest that people overall have to be thankful that problems that didn't have to be there were there but are going to be fixed a month later... is a little off.

DryvBy

This hit the GiantBomb? Gaf is where all good news comes from.

Also, this is awesome. More devs need to do this! (id Software, I'll come fix you up!)

Doesn't work like that.

The point is they got their money, and they are still fixing things for a small select user base. Have some god damn gratitude. They could very well be acting like Bethesda, but they aren't.

If ND wants people to keep playing their game and keep buying map packs/avatars/skins, they should fix problems that people find.

It's not a small select userbase, it's a segment of a large userbase who can somehow vocalize the problem and normally when a userbase doesn't like how something plays, they move the fuck on, you wouldn't even know they're unhappy until they're gone, and no, it's not "broken", shooting and aiming simply doesn't feel as good as before.

The fact that people are still pissed about the changes but are still playing every damn night shows that people still give a shit, ND is obviously doing things the right way by going to the extra mile and trying to fix it, good for them.

Your point that "they can just ignore the complaints and make Uncharted 4" is nonsense, we've seen what happened when a developer introduced drastic changes to MP in their second game and by the time they launch their third game, people didn't come back.

Naughty Dog themselves said they intended for the aiming in Uncharted 3 to be more precise than in Uncharted 1 or 2; that it is meant to allow more directions of reticle movement. The fact that what we got is the complete opposite of their stated goal suggests to me that it is indeed broken, regardless of whether or not people have managed to adapt.

I'd still just like to know how the aiming ended up the way it did. Is the wonky aiming present for all players or is it a bug only present under certain conditions? Was it a bizarre design decision and, if so, why does the aiming differ drastically between the single player campaign and multiplayer? The contrast between their goal and the actual result as well as the wide range of opinions on the aiming make me think it's a bug. However, the patch will only be offering improved controls as an option, not as the default, which hints at it being a (terrible) design decision. Hope we get some form of explanation along with the patch.

They revamped the shooting model for sure, maybe they're trying to improve things, but when U2 was working so well, they really shouldn't mess with things too much because every single tweak should have a ton of testing and a ton of feedback, especially once you have an established online community, they would have had to test their new shooting model a whole lot earlier.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
LMAO
This thread is full of sad. I was the first to congratulate ND in this very thread for (seemingly) acting fast and defying the usual secrecy of this industry by inviting guys over to help fix things. Nevermind the fact they did apparently miss such a glaring issue and couldn't reproduce it, mistakes can happen, so I readily overlooked that.

And I could at least see some of the praise being justified when it seemed ND would get on the case superquick.
But they blew it. They should've released a quick aim-fix pronto and THEN take all the time needed to focus on a big patch that would have just been the icing on the cake.
But even then, I didn't make a big fuss over that (and yes we did have the right to do that) and patiently waited for a patch with the game sitting on the shelves after paying full price on Day 1.

However, we should be thankful in the first place that they've decided NOT to ignore the issue?
Give me a fucking break.
They had the right to ignore the complaints because they've already got the money anyway? Yeah, that'd sure earn them goodwill for their next release! "But Bethesda is way worse, so you must praise our Naughty Gods!" Who gives a crap, what does it have to do with ND? Did I spend $60 on a Bethesda game? Nope, you go give day1 money to that awful publisher, I won't and I never will.
I swear people in this hobby just like it a lot to bend over and just pray to be walked all over, ruining it for the rest of us. Just go back salivating over your overbloated PR |OT|s and paste GIFS and your mybodyisready posts all over the internet.

Good god people in this thread are fucking embarassing, worse thing is that sadly blind rabid customers fanboys outnumber by a large number the conscious consumers.

jax (old)

Banned
NO spoilers here .
But what is wrong with the menu .. a rifle buried in a desert .. what else to animate ? The menu is fine .it's simple , doing his purpose and nobody stay on that menu because we are playing the game . ( SP or MP ). U2 menu had too much details that served little to no purpose . UI and menu are the last things to bother ..

The only problem with the UC3 front end menu is how stupid it is.

• Campaign
  • MP
  • co-op

why did they put in menus for MP + coop when both leads you to the same page. It boogles my mind when I see it onscreen. I tried the coop screen once to see what it does and I was like "eh?" GUI fail.

jax (old)

Banned
LMAO
This thread is full of sad. I was the first to congratulate ND in this very thread for (seemingly) acting fast and defying the usual secrecy of this industry by inviting guys over to help fix things. Nevermind the fact they did apparently miss such a glaring issue and couldn't reproduce it, mistakes can happen, so I readily overlooked that.

And I could at least see some of the praise being justified when it seemed ND would get on the case superquick.
But they blew it. They should've released a quick aim-fix pronto and THEN take all the time needed to focus on a big patch that would have just been the icing on the cake.
But even then, I didn't make a big fuss over that (and yes we did have the right to do that) and patiently waited for a patch with the game sitting on the shelves after paying full price on Day 1.

However, we should be thankful in the first place that they've decided NOT to ignore the issue?
Give me a fucking break.
They had the right to ignore the complaints because they've already got the money anyway? Yeah, that'd sure earn them goodwill for their next release! "But Bethesda is way worse, so you must praise our Naughty Gods!" Who gives a crap, what does it have to do with ND? Did I spend $60 on a Bethesda game? Nope, you go give day1 money to that awful publisher, I won't and I never will.
I swear people in this hobby just like it a lot to bend over and just pray to be walked all over, ruining it for the rest of us. Just go back salivating over your overbloated PR |OT|s and paste GIFS and your mybodyisready posts all over the internet.

Good god people in this thread are fucking embarassing, worse thing is that sadly blind rabid customers fanboys outnumber by a large number the conscious consumers.

the only thing fucking embarrassing here is your post.

Loudninja

LMAO

Give me a fucking break.

Wow you have issues.

Massa

The only problem with the UC3 front end menu is how stupid it is.

• Campaign
  • MP
  • co-op

why did they put in menus for MP + coop when both leads you to the same page. It boogles my mind when I see it onscreen. I tried the coop screen once to see what it does and I was like "eh?" GUI fail.

They want to present the game as having these three separate modes, the UI is fine.

patsu

LMAO

Give me a fucking break.

IMHO, the game is amazing. Those issues do not overshadow the overall achievement of the game. They lost one month due to the PSN downtime (and they used the time for implementing LAN MP). I will most definitely welcome any fixes they have in the pipeline.

They should test the aim fix with people who complained because there are many ways to tweak the controls. It's not a zero or one thing.

Top Bottom