• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ND Got GAF Feedback Re: UC3 Aiming Issues, Cutscene Viewer, Animation Changes Coming

amstradcpc said:
IMHO the recoil is ok, ala SOCOM. It makes aiming a little less easy and more realistic, the another problem is other thing, it makes aiming unconfortable.

SOCOM recoil is NOT ok, and thank god U3 recoil is nowhere near as bad as SOCOM, just a tad much for the AK and for the para that it's just hard to change aim while shooting to fight the recoil to get shots to land, SOCOM on the other hand makes encounters too much of a random crapshoot.

Aiming should be comfortable, it's a game, gameplay mechanics don't need to be realistic all the time, it's more of an illusion of recoil that is needed but still gives the player the control.

AwesomeSauce said:
LOL the Uncharted fanboy in me is telling me to bring all 3 Uncharted games to get signed ;) Hope that's cool arne ;p

As for the aiming issues, i feel that what TheExodu5 and another member Sublime012 pointed out about the X, Y axis being treated separately causing the cross shaped dead zone which then causes issues with aiming diagonal to be a culprit to the off aiming. Arne said that the only thing they changed was the sensitivity from UC2 to UC3, I'm guessing the increased sensitivity causes the issue to be more pronounced? I guess we will see.

Even if that isn't the problem, I can feel the problem. I'm very picky when it comes to controls, and although i can't articulate the issue as well as the more knowledgeable on GAF, I know what is good and what is bad when it comes to aiming.

I also just don't suck at games, If it means anything, I'm pretty good and CoD games, was pretty beast in UC2 multiplayer, and I do game on PC with a mouse and keyboard.

Why did they change the sensitivity? I bumped the aiming sensitivity right up on UC3. Don't remember complaints about aiming sensitivity with UC2 so I can't understand why they fiddled around with it. Another case of if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

arne

ChefRamsay said:
I think this would have been solved already if we were thinking like debuggers rather than gamers :/

It's very clear that:
a) some people have the issue
b) some people do not have the issue

It's also very clear that:
a) everyone has one of ~10 different PS3 SKUs
b) many people have many different TVs of different resolutions and different refresh rates

We all should have just posted our setup and if we are having the problem.. Guess it doesn't matter now.

Awesomesauce will go tomorrow, try the game on Naught Dog PS3s and TVs that all the devs claiming there isn't a problem have played the game on. I bet the problem will magically disappear for Awesomesauce tomorrow at ND, only to find when he comes home and loads the game up, it'll be just as screwy as before.

we're operating under the assumption that the issues being reported asbout aiming are not due to hardware configurations (except for that one input lag video - that's a separate matter).

jett

D-Member
Put in a solid two hours into Uncharted 2 today, aiming is definitely smoother and just has a nicer feel to it. It has the same 8 directional control, but moving diagonally is not quite as limiting as it is in UC3, leading to more responsive aiming. I believe the acceleration curve is shorter too. It just plays more like a twitch shooter compared to UC3's heavy feel. If you play UC2 for a good long while after UC3 there's no way you won't feel the difference. "Desperate Times" is a good chapter to do this with.

Also plz add back all the post processing effects that were in UC2. :p

jett

D-Member
Anteater said:
Show them the enemies feedbacks too when you shoot them! Some of them don't seem to react properly to gunshots.

Yeah in UC2 all enemies react to your shots. I don't want to derail this topic off away from the aiming stuff but the gameplay animation in UC2 is nicer and blends better too...

Hazanko

Banned
Anteater said:
Show them the enemies feedbacks too when you shoot them! Some of them don't seem to react properly to gunshots.

I'd like to know why that is as well. Some of the enemies react fine, while others don't. Very odd indeed.

Chris R

My copy hasn't even shipped from Amazon yet, so I can't chime in, just hope whatever the issue turns out to be gets fixed (maybe even before I get my copy lul :( )

Jaroof

arne said:
IMPORTANT.

Is there anyone in this thread with these gripes that can make it to our studio in Santa Monica no later than NOON TOMORROW, FRIDAY NOVEMBER 4?

I know it's a lot to ask since we all have real lives (yeah, right, this is gaf), but that would be extremely helpful.

If so, please PM me ASAP!

(can we get this added to the OP?)

Man, oh man.. how I wish I could. >_>
I didn't have as much of a problem as other people did, but.. visiting ND's studio would be amazing.

There's no way this is PS3 system error.

If that were truly the case, can we get a video up on youtube of someone playing Uncharted 3 WITHOUT any of the aiming issues?

This would prove that it is the PS3 and not the game...which I don't think is the case...

Seriously, can someone who is denying the aiming issue do this?

How about ND themselves put up a video of the SP working without any issues?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
arne said:
we're operating under the assumption that the issues being reported asbout aiming are not due to hardware configurations (except for that one input lag video - that's a separate matter).

Just wanted to say arne, that even though I personally didn't blast the game as vocally for the slight aiming issues, I appreciate what you guys are doing here.

jett

D-Member
CartridgeBlower said:
There's no way this is PS3 system error.

If that were truly the case, can we get a video up on youtube of someone playing Uncharted 3 WITHOUT any of the aiming issues?

This would prove that it is the PS3 and not the game...which I don't think is the case...

Seriously, can someone who is denying the aiming issue do this?

How about ND themselves put up a video of the SP working without any issues?

It's not that some PS3s suffer from this and other do not, it's that for some people this isn't much of an issue. Like me, before this ever came up I had already finished the game and hadn't thought twice about the aiming. But I recognize that it's decidedly different from UC2.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I hold my hand up to being quite vocal myself, I do feel a bit guilty tbh, especially after this nice gesture from ND, I'm normally quite composed but I only did what I did out of love for the game, I want Uncharted 3 to as close to perfect as possible, games are important to me, probably more important than they should be but still, sorry if I went a bit ott creating the other topic etc.

I easily adjusted to the aiming and it's great for me, but still awesome of them to try and fix it for the people having problems this way.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Awesome news about ND asking people to come out to talk about the aiming issues. I tried multiplayer after finishing the campaign and it really does feel a lot different. I actually had to turn the sensitivity down when playing MP from what I had it at in SP. Here's hoping this gets fixed soon.

Mit-

For people who don't really understand it and/or don't think it's an issue, observe this picture, try it yourself, and have the game ruined :p You too AwesomeSauce!:

stick2.jpg

Move your right analog stick in a circle while aiming. Watch it move in a square. Ridiculous. Remember, single player only.

This is from here: http://forums.naughtydog.com/t5/General-Discussion/Big-problem-with-the-aiming-with-L1/td-p/607411 at the official Naughty Dog forums. They explain the problems quite well.

Watch this video too! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcJ0WrhiUSM&feature=player_embedded

He really demonstrates how, once you start moving horizontally/vertically, you can move the stick all the way to the diagonals, and it STILL won't budge from the x-axis. Ridiculous! It's supposed to be a full 360 degrees of aiming!

ALSO, don't forget about the aim assist. That's also demonstrated in the above video. It's horrendous, and needs to AT MOST be an option to turn on. It destroys your accuracy when you're expecting to arrive on your exact target at a specific time, only to be completely thrown off when the reticle slows TO A CRAWL when you get near an enemy.

Nizz

zlatko said:
What rock do you live under? Yeah ND just wants people from GAF to come to their studio for pizza and beer.

Clearly if the developer is aware of the issue and trying to get players feedback to remedy it, then it is real.

I had the same problems mentioned in these threads, and that was before I even hopped on GAF to notice others had them as well. So it isn't some kind of hive mind bull shit, it's there and it's real, but maybe it isn't going on with everyone. It still needs to be looked into and hopefully they find the problem.
Would be awesome if DICE were to do something like this. I'm having issues with the aiming in BF3. That game's just sitting in its case in the hopes that DICE patch it soon.

This is great of ND to be doing this, working with fans to try and remedy this.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
purple cobra said:
Would be awesome if DICE were to do something like this. I'm having issues with the aiming in BF3. That game's just sitting in its case in the hopes that DICE patch it soon.

This is great of ND to be doing this, working with fans to try and remedy this.
BF3 is odd case since not everyone is experiencing the aiming issues whereas here everyone seems to be able to at least see the issue with the diagonals, whether it bothers them or not. BF3 aiming feels perfect to me.

Mit- said:
For people who don't really understand it and/or don't think it's an issue, observe this picture, try it yourself, and have the game ruined :p You too AwesomeSauce!:

stick2.jpg

Move your right analog stick in a circle while aiming. Watch it move in a square. Ridiculous. Remember, single player only.

This is from here: http://forums.naughtydog.com/t5/General-Discussion/Big-problem-with-the-aiming-with-L1/td-p/607411 at the official Naughty Dog forums. They explain the problems quite well.

Watch this video too! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcJ0WrhiUSM&feature=player_embedded

He really demonstrates how, once you start moving horizontally/vertically, you can move the stick all the way to the diagonals, and it STILL won't budge from the x-axis. Ridiculous! It's supposed to be a full 360 degrees of aiming!

ALSO, don't forget about the aim assist. That's also demonstrated in the above video. It's horrendous, and needs to AT MOST be an option to turn on. It destroys your accuracy when you're expecting to arrive on your exact target at a specific time, only to be completely thrown off when the reticle slows TO A CRAWL when you get near an enemy.

After watching those videos, I cannot understand how ND missed this when final testing the game.

ESPECIALLY since the aiming is fine in MP. Bizarre to the nth degree...

Really makes me think it is a bug that they missed at the last moment, and decided to ship anyway to make deadline...and they know this.

Ken Masters said:
I have a feeling ND will come through in the clutch with a patch for SP

While I'd applaud them for a timely patch, I don't know if they should get much credit or goodwill for fixing something that was clearly broken when it shipped. I'm pretty sure this whole debacle is the exact opposite of 'coming through in the clutch.'

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
CartridgeBlower said:
After watching those videos, I cannot understand how ND missed this when final testing the game.

ESPECIALLY since the aiming is fine in MP. Bizarre to the nth degree...

I'm curious, have any game sites who've played the single player campaign leading up to release (for previews/reviews), ever mention an aiming issue?

I can't form an opinion about the aiming, because I haven't bought the game yet, will probably pick it up next week. Nice what ND is doing, hopefully they solve whatever the hell is happening.

Feep

Banned
I am both totally free tomorrow and ten minutes away from Santa Monica, but I don't own Uncharted 3.

Good luck, Naughty Dog!

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
CartridgeBlower said:
ESPECIALLY since the aiming is fine in MP. Bizzare the nth degree...

This is what I find most intriguing, why is it not having this issue in MP?, even if this never gets fixed I'd love to know technically why this is the case.

CartridgeBlower said:
While I'd applaud them for a timely patch, I don't know if they should get much credit or goodwill for fixing something that was clearly broken when it shipped. I'm pretty sure this is the exact opposite of 'coming through in the clutch.'

maybe I should rephrase, "coming through in the clutch, for me", I haven't picked up the game yet, I will soon, I'm expecting a fix to be up

for those who already have the game, my deepest sympathies

HaRyu said:
I'm curious, have any game sites who've played the single player campaign leading up to release (for previews/reviews), ever mention an aiming issue?

I can't form an opinion about the aiming, because I haven't bought the game yet, will probably pick it up next week. Nice what ND is doing, hopefully they solve whatever the hell is happening.

This whole episode is another reason why I am finished listening to reviews from gaming websites. So many positive reviews, and none of them mentioned it.

A couple of the negative reviews did, though, and guess what -- while they may have been flamed hard for it at the time, it looks like they were the ones being more honest and thorough with their reviews. Certainly more than the 'glowing' reviews given by the other major sites.

Mit-

HaRyu said:

It hasn't gotten much more than "it feels worse" or other general statements like that. Let's face it, game reviewers aren't always the most skilled gamers, and they play a lot of games every year. Most probably didn't even notice, and most probably couldn't recall how it felt in Uncharted 2 in order to compare the two.

CartridgeBlower said:
While I'd applaud them for a timely patch, I don't know if they should get much credit or goodwill for fixing something that was clearly broken when it shipped. I'm pretty sure this whole debacle is the exact opposite of 'coming through in the clutch.'
how is it clearly broken if not everyone is experiencing this? i know i'm having no problems. fucking tremendous kudos to ND for even giving this much of a shit, this quickly.

people should appreciate good customer service.

Ricky_R

I guess my precious cut-scene viewer took an horrendous back seat. It might have gone even further to the trunk under the spare tire. :(

CartridgeBlower said:
This whole episode is another reason why I am finished listening to reviews from gaming websites. So many positive reviews, and none of them mentioned it.

A couple of the negative reviews did, though, and guess what -- while they may have been flamed hard for it at the time, it looks like they were the ones being more honest and thorough with their reviews. Certainly more than the 'glowing' reviews given by the other major sites.
Some of those glowing reviews probably had no real problems with the controls like me and a lot of others on this forum.

CartridgeBlower said:

reviewers are as hyped up for the AAA games as the biggest fanboys for the game are, they refuse to open their eyes to anything negative. Remember, most reviewers pretty much already have a score made up in their mind before playing it, so when they start playing it they are play with the mindset it of it being a "10/10 or 9.5/10" game.

Talladega Knight said:
how is it clearly broken if not everyone is experiencing this? i know i'm having no problems. fucking tremendous kudos to ND for even giving this much of a shit, this quickly.

people should appreciate good customer service.

So you're not experiencing what's happening in that youtube video?

Again, if you're not, please post a video of it so ND can start better getting to the bottom of this problem for those who are.

If you don't CARE that there's a problem, then that's another thing entirely. But based off that youtube video, it's silly not to admit SOMETHING is off, even if you don't mind or notice it.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Talladega Knight said:
how is it clearly broken if not everyone is experiencing this? i know i'm having no problems.
Now that would be the real test. Do a video setup where we can see you using the controller and the screen and then do exactly what Mit- has posted above and then we can see if the problem is there as well.

Maybe you aren't as perceptive. Maybe you don't mind it even though you notice it. Or maybe it straight up doesn't happen on your setup.

For comparison, there are people out there that hate tearing. Others don't mind it. There are others that immediately notice framerate drops but don't mind tearing. All these things are real things and not all things will be annoying to the same person.

JWong

Banned
Mit- said:
For people who don't really understand it and/or don't think it's an issue, observe this picture, try it yourself, and have the game ruined :p You too
Looked at it, tried it myself, not getting the issue.

bandresen said:
Now that would be the real test. Do a video setup where we can see you using the controller and the screen and then do exactly what Mit- has posted above and then we can see if the problem is there as well.

Exactly. This is what I've also been saying the last few posts.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
CartridgeBlower said:

I haven't bothered to read anyone's review for Uncharted 3 yet, so that's why I'm asking. :p

Well, I'm on the sidelines for this issue until I actually get the game. Maybe by the time I get the game, they'll have it figured out. Or maybe I'll be lucky and the issue won't affect me at all. :p

Wow, just saw this thread after taking a GAF hiatus for some BF3. This is so awesome, too bad I live on the (superior) East Coast. Thanks for being awesome, Arne, hopefully some good comes out of this.

Top Bottom