• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(ND Jan 23rd 2013) New Pikmin 3 Screenshots

jaz013

Banned
I'm just waiting for a release date. Frankly, I couldn't care anymore about jaggies, textures or whatever, as long as the game is fun.

I hope Nintendo has the balls to delay this to the holidays or even beyond if that's what it takes to polish this thing up.

That would effectively kill off the game. Launch Pikmin against GTA, CoD, new systems, and its own Mario Kart/3D Mario?

It looks fine, and I'm sure the gameplay is polished since they've been working on it for a while.

goomba

Banned
Looks gorgeous to me , pixel counters should stick to PC only.

Seems "Looks like a GameCube game" has replaced "looks like an n64 game" hyperbole.

ohlawd

I hope Nintendo has the balls to delay this to the holidays or even beyond if that's what it takes to polish this thing up.

talking about the graphics or everything? This game needs to see sunlight before this year ends.

Reason being is that it's just gonna be sent to die even further if it gets delayed even more. Either way this game is gonna die but I'd rather have it die less if that makes sense.

JordanN

Banned
Remember, folks. Nintendo never dealt with HD graphics really until this system. You'll see them get better as time progresses. But for now, you're going to get Wii HD and better shaders with this game.
I don't like this excuse.

They willing pushed a $350 console where expectations for HD is at an all time high. Putting up with anything less is an insult to the consumer.

I don't like this excuse.

They willing pushed a $350 console where expectations for HD is at an all time high. Putting up with anything less is an insult to the consumer.

Well, I don't really like it, either, but Iwata himself said that HD development is sapping them more than expected. The fact that this game was a Wii title originally is not going to help it any when it comes to graphics.

I imagine they will have a better grasp of graphics when the second wave of games come through (this holiday onward), but anyone expecting Nintendo to suddenly match the other two in terms of graphical prowess is going to be disappointed.

iVZZdQbxzcrsm.png

The guy sticking halfway out the water is hilarious.

I've never played the Pikmin series, but the games look like something I'd love. Here's hoping for eShop releases. Possibly even HD ports!

This isn't pixel counting. The aliasing is prominently visible, and it can be reduced with the tech they have. Why not do it?

I'm not saying the game looks awful, but it could definitely look better.

Darryl

Banned
I'm just waiting for a release date. Frankly, I couldn't care anymore about jaggies, textures or whatever, as long as the game is fun.

i'm all for the fluff, but i'd rather them work on things like funny pikmin behavior than focus too much on the textures n stuff

MarkusRJR

This isn't pixel counting. The aliasing is prominently visible, and it can be reduced with the tech they have. Why not do it?

I'm not saying the game looks awful, but it could definitely look better.
Yup. It looks like they were finishing development on the Wii, decided to move it over to the Wii U, and just upgraded a few assets, put it in HD, and added a few "next gen" effects. They definitely could have done more in regards to graphics. If this were a new IP on the 360 or PS3 there would be people calling it out for having mediocre graphics compared to other games.

Still probably going to pick it up because I enjoyed the first two games, but I'm not going to bullshit myself and say this game looks amazing or anything.

Posts like this make no sense. Why do you assume it would need to be delayed to holidays to polish? Going by this logic no game should ever be released as you can keep polishing and adding to it

kinggroin

Banned
The game has consistently looked much, much better in motion. It's still a marked improvement over 1 & 2.

The gap in performance between GameCube and Wii U is LARGER than the gap between Wii and 360.

This game should look MUCH better than this.

theman5141

Neo Member
If not for Pikmin adventure, I'd be genuinely worried about the overall capabilities of the console and/or Nintendo's capacity to adjust to the new development ecosystem.

In regards to the lack of AA, perhaps the development team cannot implement it without sacrificing a consistent framerate? Post-processing AA probably isn't a viable option with the excessive depth of field already in place - too much blurring?

Hiltz

Miyamoto commented on Pikmin 3 development status back in June 2012:

Pikmin 3 itself I’ve been working on with a very, very small team for going on about five years now doing a variety of experiments, but as far as Pikmin 3 on Wii U we started that a little bit less than two years ago

Instro

Remember, folks. Nintendo never dealt with HD graphics really until this system. You'll see them get better as time progresses. But for now, you're going to get Wii HD and better shaders with this game.

That's not really the problem here though. HD graphics has nothing to do with the visual problems that are showing in this game. Low poly models and environments, very low res textures, lack of AA. These are not signs of having trouble with new technology, they are basic building blocks for visuals. The game doesn't look so pretty because they didn't want to completely overhaul the work they had already done, and instead tried to spruce it up with various effects and other graphical upgrades. To some degree it works, but you can clearly tell where the game started.

If not for Pikmin adventure, I'd be genuinely worried about the overall capabilities of the console and/or Nintendo's capacity to adjust to the new development ecosystem.

In regards to the lack of AA, perhaps the development team cannot implement it without sacrificing a consistent framerate? Post-processing AA probably isn't a viable option with the excessive depth of field already in place - too much blurring?

Personally I would think it's a failure of the engine the game is built off, but perhaps I'm way off on this.

NEO0MJ

So far Pikmin 3 is the most graphically impressive Wii U game I've seen but the lack of AA and blurry textures still suck.

I think that W101 deserves that title, and like Pikmin it has a whole lot of characters on screen at the same time.

theman5141

Neo Member
Personally I would think it's a failure of the engine the game is built off, but perhaps I'm way off on this.

To be frank, it could be some other unfathomable factor that none of us have even contemplated in the remotest sense. It could very well be the engine, in which case I hope Nintendo has been doggedly modernizing that proprietary "Nintendo engine" they use for the majority of their in-house projects.

kinggroin

Banned
I think that W101 deserves that title, and like Pikmin it has a whole lot of characters on screen at the same time.

Nah. I give it to Nintendo Land (which funny enough, houses a better looking pikmin game in it). At least as far as what's actually out now. Zombie U a close second mostly thanks to aesthetics.

Those aren't new screens unless you mean from the Nintendo Direct...

This thread is not new...

Anyway, I don't care what it looks like. Pikmin 1 (and 2 now that I've actually played it) are hella fun and I just want a release date for this.

Nintendomination promised footage soon, didn't he?

Pikmin 3 was recently delayed a couple of months. Can you talk about the reason for that delay and what's happened in the time since?

"And in my mind, there's really two kinds of games: games that get delayed and then there’s games that sort of shift [laughs]."
I don't know how far I should go in explaining this, but at Nintendo, there is often sort of a notion that the games I'm working on always get delayed. And in my mind, there's really two kinds of games: games that get delayed and then there's games that sort of shift [laughs]. And in the case of Pikmin, we were working on Pikmin in advance of [the Wii U launch] and I was spending a lot of time focusing on placement of items and enemies and things like that and levels. And so from my perspective, Pikmin gradually just became one of those games that sort of shifted [laughs]. I'm sorry. I know everybody is waiting for it.

Gargh! Miyamoto!!

Seems "Looks like a GameCube game" has replaced "looks like an n64 game" hyperbole.

Really it's just some of the ground textures / geometry that looks like it came straight out of a 2002-era GameCube game.

I assume this is to maximize performance.

Everything else looks stellar.

Litri

It can be clearly seen that the game has Wii roots, however i would never look into the technical part on a Pikimin game, rather on the gameplay.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's not really the problem here though. HD graphics has nothing to do with the visual problems that are showing in this game. Low poly models and environments, very low res textures, lack of AA. These are not signs of having trouble with new technology, they are basic building blocks for visuals. The game doesn't look so pretty because they didn't want to completely overhaul the work they had already done, and instead tried to spruce it up with various effects and other graphical upgrades. To some degree it works, but you can clearly tell where the game started.

It's like sim city to a degree. You're mostly going to be playing the game zoomed out, direction your pikmin from a relatively overhead angle. The ground textures will look great from there. When zoomed right in for these shots, there is a noticable lack of polys and lower res textures, but you won't notice them when playing.

It can be clearly seen that the game has Wii roots, however i would never look into the technical part on a Pikimin game, rather on the gameplay.

Werent original Pikmin games great looking when they first came out?

This game is not releasing before E3 :/

Speevy

Banned
This goes beyond "Lol Nintendo." I think.

They have the resources and the talent, as evidenced by the Galaxy titles, to put out an HD title that looks on par with a PS3 or 360 game.

If any other company released these shots, people would be wondering if there was trouble during development.

Log4Girlz

The games were impressive for their time. The Gamecube/Wii are the successors to the N64, so seeing so many polygonal characters of screen was amazingly impressive at the time.

Speevy

Banned
Pikmin 2 was lovely at release because you could tell the game had been through a long development. It was packed with content, and the art made up for any of the game's technical shortcomings.

This just looks kinda bad. I'm not saying it's the worst game I've ever seen, but let's put it this way.

If this were gearing up to release in 2006 alongside Gears of War and Motorstorm, you'd say it looks kinda bad.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I remember when I used to call troll on the people saying Nintendo would struggle with HD development.

You'd be surprised at much early GameCube games have aged. I've been intensely studying Nintendo-released GameCube games recently--when you look at them closely, there's a LOT of issues not immediately apparent to our rose-tinted-nostalgia-goggles (rotating sprites, blurry textures, blocky character models, repetitive geometry, etc.)

Take a look at these state of the art ground textures + no shadows (Pikmin 1):

VVElCXM.png

...Yeah. We've come a long way since then.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I think this game looks amazing.

I feel sorry for the people who obsess over textures and aliasing.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Playing it, it looks better than in the screenshots. And the build I played is very old.
There are geometrical and ground texture issues, btw.

Servbot24

Banned
Loved Pikmin 2 to death... unfortunately I don't know if P3 will be enough to convince me to get a Wii U considering I'm already tempted to get PS4 and Vita. :( And I don't have the money for any of them anyways. :(

pixelpai

Neo Member

makes me really sad, that for some people graphics seem to define a game more than the gameplay.. and - by the way - i think it look great und charming.

PSGames

It blows my mind that people are expecting some graphical powerhouse from Pikmin. The game is all about the art style and gameplay. Like expecting Mario bros U to knock your socks off graphically. Its just not gonna happen. Having said that this looks amazing to me. Mainly due to the art direction and lighting.

Top Bottom