• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

near (Vita App) | Scanning local Vita chums for all dat Game Goods

rbanke

So after about a week since doing a factory restore to get rid of the "An Error has Occurred" problem, It's come back. I'm not doing another factory restore, going to just forget near exists and hope they eventually fix it.

AleeN634

The only mention to the parents control that I can see, is on Security, and when I click it, it lets me set a passcode.

Yeah this had me confused for a while too, set the passcode and then you can change the level setting (by default its not max).

kanugo

Yeah this had me confused for a while too, set the passcode and then you can change the level setting (by default its not max).

Thanks. I did that, and it seems to work now.

Just to be clear: on the Parents Controls - Content - the lower the level, the tighter control.

But I seleced "off". OFF is better than Level 11. Correct?

So after about a week since doing a factory restore to get rid of the "An Error has Occurred" problem, It's come back. I'm not doing another factory restore, going to just forget near exists and hope they eventually fix it.

same here... but kinda pissed since when it was working the first week I was geting a ton of stuff in my living area >_<

wish I could fix it.

see5harp

I'm having the same issue with "error has occurred" messages. Sorta sucks Katamari actually told me to do the Near stuff. It's just a rental so I guess I'll never see that stuff.

BurningNad

The majority of my near experience thus far:

-You have received 1 message

"hey bro how u get dat kratos avatar"

repeat 15+ times

It happened me 2 times, both fixed it with factory restore.

But is a pain in the ass, because you lose all the near information. I hope that this will be fixed with a firmware.

Well I was about to ask if anyone had had issues updating Near, but it seems like a lot of people are having the same issue with it not updating. Is it related directly to replacing a memory card? Mine stopped working on march 15

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
When Near was first revealed, one of the first features they discussed was the ability to "leave gifts for friends at specific locations." Silly as it sounds, that never made it into the final version, correct?

Toki767

When Near was first revealed, one of the first features they discussed was the ability to "leave gifts for friends at specific locations." Silly as it sounds, that never made it into the final version, correct?

Something like that. When near registers your location, there's a chance you'll receive gifts from others who registered at that location as well.

Keio

For a Finer World
I'm now hit with the "an error has occurred" problem as well. I love my Vita, but this is frustrating. I was thinking of tracking my total km as I'm traveling a lot due to work... but I guess not. Fuuu.

madmackem

I'm now hit with the "an error has occurred" problem as well. I love my Vita, but this is frustrating. I was thinking of tracking my total km as I'm traveling a lot due to work... but I guess not. Fuuu.

Yep working great for weeks now i have the same error message. Its not even an issue with getting my location data it gets that right away its the sending it errors out on for me.

Grinchy

Banned
I thought near was really dumb at first, but now I find myself checking it all the time. I like giving and receiving gifts.

I've had the error has occurred thing since 2 weeks after launch. I tried a system restore, no dice. Thing's just plain broke, and no help from Sony.

The upside is that I cancelled my 3G service because of it.

Really pathetic. It's a great app, but completely broken.

Number45

Am I the only person that hasn't had a single error with near? :(

I thought near was really dumb at first, but now I find myself checking it all the time. I like giving and receiving gifts.
I wish it would only receive for games that I own, or have played.

tearsofash

At first I was really annoyed with all the locals trying to give me friend requests via Near, but I actually have a hot date arranged now. Anyone else have luck with this?

creid

So I've finally got a Vita and am trying near for myself, and it doesn't seem to be auto-updating like it says it will. The Vita sat in my bag at work all day where it definitely could've deduced location via SkyHook, but when I got home and checked "out and about" it said I hadn't gone anywhere. I've got all of the "auto-update" options on, and am on the latest firmware. Anyone?

Toki767

So I've finally got a Vita and am trying near for myself, and it doesn't seem to be auto-updating like it says it will. The Vita sat in my bag at work all day where it definitely could've deduced location via SkyHook, but when I got home and checked "out and about" it said I hadn't gone anywhere. I've got all of the "auto-update" options on, and am on the latest firmware. Anyone?

It auto-updates once a day. You have to press the circle near button if you want to update manually.

Toki767

The auto update should happen every 30 minutes or so.

It'll record your place every 30 minutes or so if it finds you've moved, but it won't list it on Out and About until the actual update refreshes which is once a day. Or if you do it manually by hitting the near button.

How are people's near stats? Sharing mine via screenshot:

N.jpg

Takao

Banned
Someone "near" me is importing games. I've seen Dokuro and Ragnarok Odyssey (Asian Localized Ver.) popping up. I need to befriend this person.

Toki767

About 5 different people near me have been playing Persona 4 Golden, Project Diva f, and Tales of Innocence R. Those importing bums. I need to make friends with them.

Ran rp

Someone "near" me is importing games. I've seen Dokuro and Ragnarok Odyssey (Asian Localized Ver.) popping up. I need to befriend this person.

Someone near me was playing that new Nippon Ichi game Special Report Division. Is there a demo or app on the JP store or something?

Edit: Ah okay, it was released last month.

patsu

If only there was some kind of integrated messaging service. Oh well. ;)

You can ! When you see a dude or dudette in Near (Radar screen, Discoveries, ...), click on his/her profile. On the top right, you'll see a group messaging icon. You can also send people private messages and friend requests.

You can swipe back to Near when you're done.

If you encountered these people in real-life, you'll also see the name of the street where you met them.

Top Bottom