• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

near (Vita App) | Scanning local Vita chums for all dat Game Goods

patsu

The cyber stalking commences.

Just kidding. I've had a lot of people from near message me just to chat about the Vita and games overall. It's really quite cool. I'm not sure if that's how Sony intended it to work but when it works like that it's pretty amazing.

Wrong guy. The dude on my Near radar is pixeleyes. ^_^

So if I want my WiFi Vita to check and store my location (via WIFI APs' mac address) while I'm not at home so that I can update when I'm back I have to let it go to sleep by itself? Or can I put it to sleep manually as well?

Good question. I haven't tested Near by putting Vita manually to sleep.

BradleyUK

I damn need some modnation & Wipeout gift!

wechg.jpg

gkryhewy

I tried travelling with my wifi vita today for the first time, and it still shows <1 mile traveled. I guess it doesn't ping nearby hotspots like I thought.

If I download a game good for a game I don't have yet, will it still be there if I buy the game later or will it expire on the expiration date?

half the time Near knows I am at home, but the other half of the time it still thinks I'm at my old address for some reason. Would it be because of my router? I submitted my new address to skyhook or whatever it's called, but I guess that takes a while.

Annoying especially because I have the 3g/gps enabled model.

patsu

I tried travelling with my wifi vita today for the first time, and it still shows <1 mile traveled. I guess it doesn't ping nearby hotspots like I thought.

If I download a game good for a game I don't have yet, will it still be there if I buy the game later or will it expire on the expiration date?

Are you in US ? If so, I think it should pick up at least some public hotspots for pinpointing your location. I suspect a server bug or a corrupted file is preventing your Near from working.

half the time Near knows I am at home, but the other half of the time it still thinks I'm at my old address for some reason. Would it be because of my router? I submitted my new address to skyhook or whatever it's called, but I guess that takes a while.

Annoying especially because I have the 3g/gps enabled model.

It may take a week or more based on other Gaffers' experiences.

3G Vita also uses SkyHook if you're indoor, or whenever the satellite can't see you.

gkryhewy

Are you in US ? If so, I think it should pick up at least some public hotspots for pinpointing your location. I suspect a server bug or a corrupted file is preventing your Near from working.

I'm in downtown Philadelphia. Do other people with wifi vitas get accurate travel data throughout the day without logging into a wifi hotspot? Near works perfectly through my router at home, but it requires connecting to the hotspot.

patsu

I'm in downtown Philadelphia. Do other people with wifi vitas get accurate travel data throughout the day without logging into a wifi hotspot? Near works perfectly through my router at home, but it requires connecting to the hotspot.

According to SkyHooks' patents, the user doesn't need to connect to the hotspots. It estimates the current location using the detected WiFi signal strengths and population spread. The magic lies in the mathematics (linear regression) and the huge worldwide hotspot database.

gkryhewy

According to SkyHooks' patents, the user doesn't need to connect to the hotspots. It estimates the current location using the detected WiFi signal strengths and population spread. The magic lies in the mathematics (linear regression) and the huge worldwide hotspot database.

Thanks. I understand how skyhook works; just not sure how Near works.

|ync

I can confirm that Near doesn't require connecting to the hotspot, I was on an 8 hour bus trip a few days ago and near located me in a town where we stopped for dinner even though I wasn't connected to the internet (wifi vita)

gkryhewy

Have you tried forcing a manual update when you're outside your home ?

What error message do you get ?

Could not find location, or equivalent (finds it instantly at home when connected).

lync said:
I can confirm that Near doesn't require connecting to the hotspot, I was on an 8 hour bus trip a few days ago and near located me in a town where we stopped for dinner even though I wasn't connected to the internet (wifi vita)

hmmm... Thanks for confirming. Not sure what my deal is then. I don't commute far (about 1 mile each way), but it's not zero.

patsu

Could not find location, or equivalent (finds it instantly at home when connected).

Are you able to establish your location near a Starbucks public hotspot ? If it fails, try connecting to the hotspot and retry. The simple exercise may give additional insights to the issue.

gkryhewy

Are you able to establish your location near a Starbucks public hotspot ? If it fails, try connecting to the hotspot and retry. The simple exercise may give additional insights to the issue.

I'll mess with it more tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

patsu

I'll mess with it more tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

I said it wrong. The manual update will fail because it has no way to contact the SkyHooks database, but Vita should retain the "raw positioning data". When you come home, it should be able to establish the Starbucks location.

If you're connected to Starbucks hotspot, then the manual update would succeed without any issue. Remember to check the "Terms of Agreement" webpage in Starbucks hotspot though.

patsu

So near never automatically updates for me in standby. Do you leave the app open during standby for it to work?

Vita should be able to update without launching the Near UI app. I usually leave it closed, and it detected my trips on weekends.

ugh we are gonna get spammed like crazy if Vita catches on.

The folks around me have been rather quiet. They just go about their daily business and leave me alone. The Near gifts are usually dropped automatically by the games.

gkryhewy

Vita should be able to update without launching the Near UI app. I usually leave it closed, and it detected my trips on weekends.

The folks around me have been rather quiet. They just go about their daily business and leave me alone. The Near gifts are usually dropped automatically by the games.

Can you answer the question I asked in my first post about game goods expiration? Don't mean to be a pest, but you seem to know what you're doing.

patsu

Can you answer the question I asked in my first post about game goods expiration? Don't mean to be a pest, but you seem to know what you're doing.

Which question ? ^_^
You mean whether game goods expire after you redeemed them ? I haven't tested it yet. All the game goods I received so far are for games I don't currently own (Hustle King).

I should be able to test the gifting aspect this weekend.

So does it update overnight? I don't travel and near does not update overnight.

It updated @ 2:00am a few times but I can't remember whether I was up on those nights.

It's been tracking my daily home <-> work routine.

I also noticed it kinda tracked my trip to SF. On my way back, I got the location update when I stopped by a Starbucks Hotspot near SCEA.

EDIT: How come SCEA building is so boring, at least from the outside ? ^_^

Bullza2o

I find it weird that Near tells me 29 people are "topping the charts," but the radar only shows 12 people, and only 1 person whom I have encountered. I don't understand...

gkryhewy

Which question ? ^_^
You mean whether game goods expire after you redeemed them ? I haven't tested it yet. All the game goods I received so far are for games I don't currently own (Hustle King).
That's what I mean. I've received game goods for UMvC3, hustle kings, and lumines, none of which I own. Lumines expired because apparently it had a very short shelf life (and clicking the pin didn't preserve it). I actively downloaded the others, but they're still listed as having expiration dates in Near. Just wondering whether I'll get to keep them, or if failing to launch the required game by the expiration date will cause the game goods to be lost.

hitmon

Has there been any clear confirmation about the number of people playing nearby? Is it actually the number of people playing or is it just how many times people have updated in a set period of time?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
That's what I mean. I've received game goods for UMvC3, hustle kings, and lumines, none of which I own. Lumines expired because apparently it had a very short shelf life (and clicking the pin didn't preserve it). I actively downloaded the others, but they're still listed as having expiration dates in Near. Just wondering whether I'll get to keep them, or if failing to launch the required game by the expiration date will cause the game goods to be lost.

You need to launch the required game in order to keep them.

patsu

I find it weird that Near tells me 29 people are "topping the charts," but the radar only shows 12 people, and only 1 person whom I have encountered. I don't understand...

As I understand...

1. 29 people topping the chart refers to the number of people who played the "charted" game in the Near notification. I don't know how far back this number is collected (since launched/released in your area ?)

2. 12 people on the radar means those 12 dudes/dudettes were in your vicinity during the past few days. For the named users, you should be able to see their last "Near" time if you click on their profile.

3. 1 person encountered means you have "met" one of those 12 folks. You were close to each other, and probably contacted the Near server within certain time limit.

LaneDS

Can't say that I understand near yet, but I can say that I enjoy updating it and randomly collecting Stardust songs and other mostly pointless goodies. Neat system.

vaelic

Banned
As I understand...

1. 29 people topping the chart refers to the number of people who played the "charted" game in the Near notification. I don't know how far back this number is collected (since launched/released in your area ?)

2. 12 people on the radar means those 12 dudes/dudettes were in your vicinity during the past few days. For the named users, you should be able to see their last sign-in time if you click on their profile.

3. 1 person encountered means you have "met" one of those 12 folks. You were close to each other, and probably contacted the Near server within certain time limit.

lol at #3. I imagine people staring at their vitas walking down the sidewalk right by one another :)

patsu

lol at #3. I imagine people staring at their vitas walking down the sidewalk right by one another :)

Ah, you may not see him or her in real time. The matching is done only after both of you submit your location to the Near server. That could happen later asynchronously (e.g., when both of you reached home).

I know one of the guys are near my home (within a 0.4 mile radius) because I have "encountered" him 9 times already while staying at home.

DBT85

If you don't launch the game before the expiry date then that game good is gone.

Anyone know what the blue around the update button signifies?

Near will automatically connect to the servers once every day to update them with where it has been and to download data about who else has been there. That blue circle I think corresponds to how long it's been/going to be until the next automatic sync. Near will check for it's location every 30 minutes (if that feature is on) and will store that data until upload time.

So near never automatically updates for me in standby. Do you leave the app open during standby for it to work?

I've had my Vita with no apps running at al in user forced standby and it's picked up my locations several times. I do have a 3G model though.

Has there been any clear confirmation about the number of people playing nearby? Is it actually the number of people playing or is it just how many times people have updated in a set period of time?

It's not people playing right at that second. If you click on each person on yuor radar you;'ll see when they checked in in that location.

EG: At 06:07 on 06/03/12 (this morning) my Vita clocked me on the Croydon Flyover (London/England). The 9 people on my radar were clocked within 1km at the following times:

3/3/12 10:24
1/3/12 22:07
1/3/12 09:32
28/2/12 20:23
3/3/12 03:31
1/3/12 11:54
1/3/12 04:20
3/3/12 20:43
4/3/12 0:45

Looking at that, Near is looking back 7 days in time as a maximum from what I can see.

Number45

Near will automatically connect to the servers once every day to update them with where it has been and to download data about who else has been there. That blue circle I think corresponds to how long it's been/going to be until the next automatic sync. Near will check for it's location every 30 minutes (if that feature is on) and will store that data until upload time.
That seems plausible, it certainly resets if you manually update.

orioto

Good Art™
small question here, about Near. I guess when you don't have 3g, it's useless to hope for lan encounters when you're walking, ala 3ds right ?

DBT85

small question here, about Near. I guess when you don't have 3g, it's useless to hope for lan encounters when you're walking, ala 3ds right ?

Near on your Vita doesn't look for other Vita's in anyway so no. All it ever does is tries to work out where you are. The servers then share the information with you that is relevant based on that location data.

WiFi should still get location data as long as it can see networks which are in the skyhook DB which a lot of public ones will be.

orioto

Good Art™
Near on your Vita doesn't look for other Vita's in anyway so no. All it ever does is tries to work out where you are. The servers then share the information with you that is relevant based on that location data.

WiFi should still get location data as long as it can see networks which are in the skyhook DB which a lot of public ones will be.

I see, so there is no gps that could save the location you're at when the console is in your bag, for exemple, and look for other vita after that in that location ?

The problem is that any streepass like feature is pretty dead with the low rate of the 3g vita...

gkryhewy

This shouldn't have anything to do with bluetooth, right? I've had BT disabled to save battery.

Also, do I need to leave the Near live area open while the system is sleeping?

DBT85

I see, so there is no gps that could save the location you're at when the console is in your bag, for exemple, and look for other vita after that in that location ?

The problem is that any streepass like feature is pretty dead with the low rate of the 3g vita...

The 3G vita does have GPS and will also get location data from 3G triangulation and WiFi hotspots if your WiFi is on.

The WiFi model does not have GPS or 3G but will still get locations from WiFi hotspots that are in the skyhook network.

The beauty of Near is that I don't have to be on the same street at the same time to swap goodies and info, I have to have been within 10km at some point in the last 7 days.

Even people who never go outside can get hits on Near because they will be connecting to a network to go online. If the network is in the skyhook DB then the Vita knows where it is and so can get the relevant data from the Near servers.

If I were to walk around London today for example with my 3G Vita in my bag, every 30 minutes it would find out where it is and save that information. As soon as it does it's daily update or if I force one at any time, all of those locations would be uploaded to the servers and then the details for other people in the area would be downloaded so that I can see it.

If I had a WiFi vita then it would also work so long as it can see WiFi networks that are in the DB. Since most of the public ones are in that DB it should find it's location most of the time, although still probably less than the 3G model.

Top Bottom