• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

near (Vita App) | Scanning local Vita chums for all dat Game Goods

Yjynx

How does Near work in Uncharted? I've received tons of Uncharted Gift but I've no idea how to send it to someone else. I assume it work automatically? So everytime I update Near it match with other people bounty list on which item is missing. If not somehow I feel bad about it.....

Interesting Fact regarding Near:

- It could only shows 9-10 ID max and those pople have to be the nearest one to you.

- You could see someone ID but that doesn't mean he could see yours too and vice versa.

- In my place, Near always show me 10 ID (me included) which always the same no matter how many time I updated it. I received friend invitation and suddenly that person ID show up on my near.

- I updated my wifi on the 4th floor of my office and it pick 10 ID and the office address.

- I updated my wifi on the 8th floor of my office and it pick four same ID as the 4th floor and five different ID plus the name of the road next to my office.

Added my details to skyhook but no luck so far. Also, can i add the details of my portable wifi hotspot (via mobile 3g) to skyhook?? Or any othet workaround?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I don't think it grows at a fixed rate. Looking at the history of my updates the numbers of the last 5 from last to earliest is 119, 116, 114, 115 & 116.

It HAS to be recording repeats, though. I highly doubt there are 65 people within a square mile of me playing Vita, 6 of whom are playing Shinobido 2.

MrPliskin

Banned
I'm pretty sure near isn't courting unique users, it just keeps track of daily encounters, and it does do duplicates of said encounters.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm pretty sure near isn't courting unique users, it just keeps track of daily encounters, and it does do duplicates of said encounters.

I do believe they have to be on. I could be wrong. Either way, it's nice if it keeps track of things once you've found people and hopefully update their data with scans.

I've been getting "An error has occurred" lately, and from what I've heard it's becoming a common problem. Can anything short of a factory restore help me? I've tried the "rebuild database" option, to no avail. Or maybe I'll just wait for a patch or something...

andshrew

I've been getting "An error has occurred" lately, and from what I've heard it's becoming a common problem. Can anything short of a factory restore help me? I've tried the "rebuild database" option, to no avail. Or maybe I'll just wait for a patch or something...

Wait for a patch or factory reset seem to be pretty much the only option.

I've had this too, left it over a few days and it hadn't fixed itself so resorted to a factory reset which has fixed it.

Wait for a patch or factory reset seem to be pretty much the only option.

I've had this too, left it over a few days and it hadn't fixed itself so resorted to a factory reset which has fixed it.

What kind of stuff do you lose in a factory reset? Will I keep my saves? And will I have to remove my memory card to make sure it doesn't get wiped?

Wazzim

Banned
How do daily encounters work? Is it like StreetPass? I had my Vita in my backpack on school when I saw someone playing with one yesterday, I don't believe Near registered that.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
How do daily encounters work? Is it like StreetPass? I had my Vita in my backpack on school when I saw someone playing with one yesterday, I don't believe Near registered that.

He probably has his settings tightened up to not show his info. I can't remember them but I really restrict my settings.

ok, i'll admit that I have no idea what near is doing. I should read up a little, seems intriguing. Like the trophy system, it's a little vague, which I like.

andshrew

What kind of stuff do you lose in a factory reset? Will I keep my saves? And will I have to remove my memory card to make sure it doesn't get wiped?

I took the memory card and game card out just in case - make sure you've synced your trophies. The only stuff I seem to have lost is all the information near had collected so far.

Faithless

I'm just popping in to add my problems with Near post. Used it for a week on the WiFi model without problems, now I get "an error has occurred."

The most frustrating part of this is that I don't know what kind of error it is. Even "communication error," would somehow be more satisfying.

Riptwo

Still no luck with the UC black market. Everything else near related seems to work fine for me, and if I click on my own icon in near, it shows that I'm active in the black market. In the actual game, however, it still says that I'm actively seeking 0 treasures, and doesn't let me update what I'm seeking when I exit to the menu. Getting ready to give up on this feature.

sakipon

The only stuff I seem to have lost is all the information near had collected so far.

Yeah, noticed this when I downloaded some demos from my foreign accounts. Wonder why you can't back-up your near progress? Also one should be able to clear near without doing a full system reset.

Eterniti

Based off of my personal experience if you set near to auto update, it will update your location once in a while but not within an hour of the previous update. Also, the other person needs to have near update his location and, of course, allowed for people to find him via near. Keep in mind that you'll need either 3G or Wi-Fi in order to update your location.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Speaking of which: how many of you have actually contacted people from Near?

A couple of days ago, I sent messages to 2 users I "encountered" in my university 3 times. And now we're like PSN BFFs.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

A couple of days ago, I sent messages to 2 users I "encountered" in my university 3 times. And now we're like PSN BFFs.

That's pretty awesome. I haven't messaged anyone in my area. I should try it out.

patsu

Still no luck with the UC black market. Everything else near related seems to work fine for me, and if I click on my own icon in near, it shows that I'm active in the black market. In the actual game, however, it still says that I'm actively seeking 0 treasures, and doesn't let me update what I'm seeking when I exit to the menu. Getting ready to give up on this feature.

Just curious, your shared your ID in Near and turned auto-update on right ? Have you ever rebuild the database or factory reset the unit ? Is this WiFi or 3G ?

Edit:
Same questions for you...

near has been working fine for me since i got my vita on thursday, but now its giving me an error. :/

patsu

AnFx8RyCEAEBup5.jpg:large

Idiot.

I like the Lol in his reply. LOL.

vaelic

Banned
i have the wifi version and i connect fine to everything BUT maps and near. it always says "cannot obtain user data".

whats wrong?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
My total always goes up at least a few people every time I use it, it must be total number of people found, cumulative. I'm at 67 in my crappy neighborhood, no way those are unique people. The same 8-10 people always show on the map too.

Near seems perfect to see what games are more succesful.

Here, in Barcelona, the top 10 is:

Uncharted GA
Motorstorm RC
Super Stardust Delta
Tales from Space
LiveTweet
Frobisher says!
Hustle Kings
Lumines
Wipeout 2048
Uncharted Demo

I'm happy to see that DD games are working well.

thirty

Banned
I'm pretty sure the people that show up are people that share info and the grayed out smiles are those who don't.

the3ye

what is the glowing orange circle around several people on the map in near? Can't find anything about it in user guide

Piggus

A couple people added me as friends. I assume they're also students at my university. Haven't really talked to them much though haha.

Victarion

Are you using some kind of proxy on your router?

I'm using "Connectify me" software on Windows 7 to create a hotspot using my laptop's wifi. And added my wifi physical address (MAC) on skyhook, am I doing it right or it wont work cause I'm not using a wireless router?

Had something weird happen yesterday--

i was using this last night and streaming Final Round on my macbook. I pressed the update button in the app and my network just slowed to a crawl-- my streaming vid got choppy and stopped, my vita froze in the middle of some menu animation. The system was unresponsive while it was updating, then everything went back to normal after it updated, a few minutes later. I had already updated once about 15 minutes earlier, so it's not like it was grabbing a bunch of new data. Weird!

Wazzim

Banned
My total always goes up at least a few people every time I use it, it must be total number of people found, cumulative. I'm at 67 in my crappy neighborhood, no way those are unique people. The same 8-10 people always show on the map too.

But the number in my town had gone from 67 to 63 once. Somebody at Sony needs to explain this shit.

patsu

Near seems perfect to see what games are more succesful.

Here, in Barcelona, the top 10 is:

Uncharted GA
Motorstorm RC
Super Stardust Delta
Tales from Space
LiveTweet
Frobisher says!
Hustle Kings
Lumines
Wipeout 2048
Uncharted Demo

I'm happy to see that DD games are working well.

I get fed up everytime something reminds me that Frobisher Says is not available in US. 8^(

DBT85

what is the glowing orange circle around several people on the map in near? Can't find anything about it in user guide

glowing orange means that's your friend on psn.

I thought that was a game gift from that person. Every time I've seen it there was one and I've just been adding whoever requests it without looking.

Now I know that someone within 500m of my work has added me.

Should probably find out who that is lol.

patsu

Had something weird happen yesterday--

i was using this last night and streaming Final Round on my macbook. I pressed the update button in the app and my network just slowed to a crawl-- my streaming vid got choppy and stopped, my vita froze in the middle of some menu animation. The system was unresponsive while it was updating, then everything went back to normal after it updated, a few minutes later. I had already updated once about 15 minutes earlier, so it's not like it was grabbing a bunch of new data. Weird!

When you did the update 15 minutes earlier, did it use a new location data or cached ?

It sounds like Vita sent a large bunch of data to the server but the latter was occupied. The congested upstream may slow downstream traffic, affecting your MacBook video stream. I'm assuming your network is fast enough to handle multiple downloads/streams usually.

Amory

i guess i just unlocked a music track on super stardust delta, and it said I could upload it to near...but i can't figure out how to do that. does it do it automatically?

pixelbox

i had issues with my browser and just overall system like things not being able to be pressed in browser or bubble screen glitches. Near had issues to like that 3 person increase glitch or error codes. After the system restore it all cleared up. It has to be an os problem.

Toki767

Hey I think I saw you on my Near radar !

... assuming your PSN id is pixelbox.

The cyber stalking commences.

Just kidding. I've had a lot of people from near message me just to chat about the Vita and games overall. It's really quite cool. I'm not sure if that's how Sony intended it to work but when it works like that it's pretty amazing.

So if I want my WiFi Vita to check and store my location (via WIFI APs' mac address) while I'm not at home so that I can update when I'm back I have to let it go to sleep by itself? Or can I put it to sleep manually as well?

Top Bottom