• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NECA Toys director outright says Crash Bandicoot is coming back

sublimit

Banned
Ok lets say for a second that "Crash is coming back".

Who the hell will make this new Crash?Because Naughty Dog has already said they have no interest in working on a new Crash game.

And would you really like to see a new Crash game even if it's not made by ND?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It's interesting to note that he lumps Crash in with the range of collectibles and figurines from Sony properties like God of War, Uncharted and LittleBigPlanet.

"Looking at some of their other titles..."

I cant see Activision bring him back alone. Way more possible if Sony Co develop it

FelipeMGM

Who the hell will make this new Crash?Because Naughty Dog has already said they have no interest in working on a new Crash game.

Sanzaru can make it, Insomniac can make it, there are some capable studios out there that can make a good platforming game.

the TMO

Sucker punch?

I'm always trying to figure out if all this is actually evidence or it's people seeing Jesus in the tea leaves. I will admit Layden's shirt made me an absolute believer for a few minutes, until I realised that it was just an easy way of showing to a mass-audience that he's all about PlayStation history, same with the Vibri shirt. This dude in the vid does sound legit in his certainty, though.

But then it doesn't matter if Crash does come back, as much as the manner of his return.

toys and a new game, thats for me

But yeah, in todays market

Sucker Punch could probably make it better than ND. They have good art guys too. Sly on ps2 looks better than jak to me

Naughty Dog being involved doesn't matter. All the people who worked there when Crash was made aren't there anymore. It was about 7 people in total who developed the original game.

If they could somehow get the original team back together though. I could die a happy man.

I cant see Activision bring him back alone. Way more possible if Sony Co develop it

That's what I'm getting at, yeah. Sony is definitely involved in this comeback somehow; it's not just solely an Activision effort. The question is, how much are Sony involved exactly? It'd be huge if they somehow managed to obtain the rights to the IP, but I don't know how likely that would be. Companies don't sell IPs unless they're backed into a corner somehow, and Activision are the sort of guys that would demand an insane amount of money at such a request, no matter how dead the property may seem.

It's probably a partnership of some sort.

bombshell

That's what I'm getting at, yeah. Sony is definitely involved in this comeback somehow; it's not just solely an Activision effort. The question is, how much are Sony involved exactly? It'd be huge if they somehow managed to obtain the rights to the IP, but I don't know how likely that would be. Companies don't sell IPs unless they're backed into a corner somehow, and Activision are the sort of guys that would demand an insane amount of money at such a request, no matter how dead the property may seem.

I also think a partnership is much more likely than Sony outright buying the IP.

Call of Duty
Destiny
Crash

Activision keeping the IP also means that when they see Crash (hopefully) still being a success, they can put him in Skylanders.

FelipeMGM

In the PS1 era, the IP was licensed to Sony from Universal, they could do the same this time. Activision licenses the IP to Sony, allowing them to make games with it, but they still maintain the control and ownership of the property. Assuming Sony makes great Crash games is a Win/Win situation for everybody IMO

PaulloDEC

Eh. People say this a lot, but there's a ton of developers who could handle a Crash 1-3 style game. I wouldn't trust just anyone if the aim was to completely reinvent the franchise, but assuming the point is to make something crowd pleasing, I'd say there isn't a lot to be worried about.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Like I said in the Knack 2 thread.
A crossover.

A Knack 2 Crash 4
Or
A Crash 4 Knack 2

iKpsnDk.jpg

Knack team or Sanzaru if Sony. But more likely to be Activision and given to shitty dev on shoestring budget

sublimit

Banned
Sanzaru can make it, Insomniac can make it, there are some capable studios out there that can make a good platforming game.

When Insomniac was asked a similar question on whether they would want to return to Spyro they said they weren't interested anymore.And if they wouldn't want to return to their own creation i seriously doubt they would care to work on another studio's creation.

Of course there are other capable studios out there but none of the good ones would want to touch it because they would be afraid of the instant comparisons to the old games and ND.I'm sure many fans and "critics" are going to be very critical on a hypothetical reboot if it's not being made by ND.

It's happening. There are too many signs - both intentional and otherwise - for it to be mere rumour or wishful thinking.

The biggest reason to be skeptical or feign denial now, is purely to make the E3 reveal all the sweeter.

sono

Gold Member
I never had a PS1 or PS2 when these were originally launched. I have tried playing those games on PS3. I assume they have aged poorly.

I will keep an open mind and wait to see if any new current gen version is created that will be deserving of the respect that a lot of people have for this series.

With Uncharted 4 wrapping and pre-production starting on their next game, is there anything to stop a smaller team within ND making Crash?

FelipeMGM

I never had a PS1 or PS2 when these were originally launched. I have tried playing those games on PS3. I assume they have aged poorly.

I will keep an open mind and wait to see if any new current gen version is created that will be deserving of the respect that a lot of people have for this series.

No they havent, they still play really great.

Gusto

Yup it's definitely happening, I just hope it's good. Sanzaru, insomniac or sucker punch, I'm ok with the 3.

no 2 3 and CTR aged really well, they are some of the best looking games from that gen

the first crash game didn't, i has problem but it's save system is it's most glaring point of age

but this might happen now lets hope for E3

TimFL

With Uncharted 4 wrapping and pre-production starting on their next game, is there anything to stop a smaller team within ND making Crash?

I doubt anyone at ND wants to make a Crash game. Why work on a kids platformer when you can work on the next big immersive top notch story game?

At least I wouldn't trade a TLOU/Uncharted team spot for a platformer.

Scotia

Banned
It's absolutely happening, there's been so many signs and hints. E3 is gonna be nuts this year.

Crash has about as much brand recognition as Knack right now. I don't see the point.

The fact that some people genuinely believe this is fucking hilarious. You couldn't be more wrong.

Orbis

I love Crash but my only fear is people will hype it to death and be disappointed. Crash games are great fun but they are relatively straightforward platformers at the end of the day. Personally I'd be happy with whatever they put out (if anything) as long as it's decent.

I remember there was a research a few years back that shows that the Crash brand apparently still has an unexpectedly high awareness and brand resonance?

Anyway, the PSOne Classics sales of Crash every month is enough indication that Crash isn't forgotten as some people think.

I remember there was a research a few years back that shows that the Crash brand apparently still has an unexpectedly high awareness and brand resonance?

Anyway, the PSOne Classics sales of Crash every month is enough indication that Crash isn't forgotten as some people think.

It does.

My friend who hasn't touched a console in like 15 years randomly mentioned Crash the other day on Facebook saying that she misses him and would buy a PS4 if he ever came back.

Both a casual and hardcore audience + the nostalgia factor = a recipe for massive success.

Top Bottom