• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NECA Toys director outright says Crash Bandicoot is coming back

Qurupeke

I just hope it will not turn to Sony's Skylanders. If they really plan to revive it, I hope they'll stay with the simpleness of the first games. A simple, yet fun platformer.

jacobeid

Banned
It does.

My friend who hasn't touched a console in about 15 years randomly mentioned Crash the other day on Facebook saying that she misses him and would by a PS4 if he ever came back.

Both a casual and hardcore audience + the nostalgia factor = a recipe for massive success.

Yeah, it's kind of bizarre. It does seem like a high percentage of people who played games in that era but don't anymore fondly and vividly remember Crash. I've heard the "I'd buy a PS4 if they made a new Crash" from more than several people....and I believed them too.

Interesting to see what happens.

Pop

Ok lets say for a second that "Crash is coming back".

Who the hell will make this new Crash?Because Naughty Dog has already said they have no interest in working on a new Crash game.

And would you really like to see a new Crash game even if it's not made by ND?

Well...why is Naughty Dogs avatar on PS4 a picture of Crash then??? Huh

Answer THAT!!!

Scotia

Banned
It does.

My friend who hasn't touched a console in like 15 years randomly mentioned Crash the other day on Facebook saying that she misses him and would by a PS4 if he ever came back.

Both a casual and hardcore audience + the nostalgia factor = a recipe for massive success.

It's still huge here in the UK. I know people that haven't owned a console since the PS2 and they still remember Crash as if he's been around forever. It's bullshit to say that no one cares about him when it's evident a lot of people do.

It does.

My friend who hasn't touched a console in like 15 years randomly mentioned Crash the other day on Facebook saying that she misses him and would buy a PS4 if he ever came back.

It blew up huge on Facebook this time. There was a post on a fan-run PS4 community page about it that got over 120,000 likes (and did this in under 24 hours). It's nowhere near dead in that way.

Yeah, it's kind of bizarre. It does seem like a high percentage of people who played games in that era but don't anymore fondly and vividly remember Crash. I've heard the "I'd buy a PS4 if they made a new Crash" from more than several people....and I believed them too.

Interesting to see what happens.

It's still huge here in the UK. I know people that haven't owned a console since the PS2 and they still remember Crash as if he's been around forever. It's bullshit to say that no one cares about him when it's evident a lot of people do.

It blew up huge on Facebook this time. There was a post on a fan-run PS4 community page about it that got over 120,000 likes (and did this in under 24 hours). It's nowhere near dead in that way.

These guys get it. The brand is definitely still very strong.

Danlord

Interesting thing to note, this has been making the rounds on Facebook and various blogs and small sites, with very misleading claims of it's definite arrival versus rumours
67070-crash-bandicoot-returns.jpg

As for the interview, he says
Yeah that's [Kratos] one we wanted to do way back when and finally we've been able to, you know, get back in with Sony and get some of that stuff out and looking at some of their other titles, I see they're bringing Crash Bandicoot back, which is really cool so...

I wonder if he's just seen the above thing posted with various blogs repeating the rumour as fact and just re-iterating it here.
To me, he doesn't seem to be talking in context of NECA Toys, just in general.

I am big hype believer of Crash, hopefully I'm off here but I'm not sure this is another hint.

Scotia

Banned
Interesting thing to note, this has been making the rounds on Facebook and various blogs and small sites, with very misleading claims of it's definite arrival versus rumours

I wonder if he's just seen the above thing posted with various blogs repeating the rumour as fact and just re-iterating it here.

I am big hype believer of Crash, hopefully I'm off here but I'm not sure this is another hint.

Anyone with eyes can see that picture is fake as hell

Machina

Banned

The barcode in the bottom left of the back of the case appears to be covering part of the small print writing.

salromano

https://vgboxart.com/view/67070/crash-bandicoot-returns-cover/

Scotia

Banned
Anyone with basic reading comprehension could tell that wasn't his point

He said that he thought the guy in the interview might have of seen that box art and assumed Sony were making a new game.

My point was that the box art was obviously fan-made and that I doubt anyone would think it was legit.

He said that he thought the guy in the interview might have of seen that box art and assumed Sony were making a new game.

My point was that the box art was obviously fan-made and that I doubt anyone would think it was legit.

Especially someone working closely with Sony already on a professional level :V

Forget Naughty Dog, Crash is Jason Rubin's baby; he's the one who should direct Crash 4. What has he been doing anyway since THQ's demise?

edit: he's at Oculus now. Oh well, then give Crash 4 to Cerny! He's worked on the franchise as a designer.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Yeah that's [Kratos] one we wanted to do way back when and finally we've been able to, you know, get back in with Sony and get some of that stuff out and looking at some of their other titles, I see they're bringing Crash Bandicoot back, which is really cool so...

Wow I listened to the video again and you're right, he definitely says "I see they're bringing Crash Bandicoot back" which means he probably saw one of those random articles or facebook posts. Oh well.

But as long as people keep asking for the game and generating hype I think it's eventually going to happen one way or another. Like in the case of The Last Guardian Yoshida said they probably would have canceled the game if people didn't keep asking about it (article link).

Danlord

Especially someone working closely with Sony already on a professional level :V

I understand that, it's just me reading too hard into how he says that Sony are bringing it back ("I see Sony are bringing back" vs "I know Sony are bringing back...") is two different things for me, the former being that he could've just seen rumours repeated as fact versus the latter which would be actual knowledge perhaps from his profession.

I want it to be true and his position is definitely interesting within the context of Crash and already working with Sony. If he was in a true position of knowing, nevermind breaking some NDA I assume and accidentally leaking the products existence, I just don't feel how he mentions it gives much strength to the claim of Crash's revival.

Also, don't get me wrong - I want Crash back. I saw your posts in your thread about the Crash IP before and found it to be really interesting, especially about the part of Sony owning publishing license for Crash 1-3 and people would be [not quoting] silly for not thinking Activision wouldn't sell the IP (or something to that effect), I just don't think this is a big smoking gun

Anyone with eyes can see that picture is fake as hell

You'd think, wouldn't you? But about five people I know IRL shared this on Facebook a few days ago with genuine excitement. I had to be 'that guy', just like I was when people kept sharing fake Fallout 4 trailers a year or two back.

Danlord

If this isn't, there are other smoking guns to choose from. If not for Sony buying it (which I'm skeptical of, I admit) then for there being a game at all, certainly.

Two biggest smoking guns for me is the street sign posted above from the launch trailer, and Shawn Layden wearing that shirt. I've been following it as closely as possible, and there is definitely something because there's too many hints and suggestions, I'm just skeptical of this being another one.

This is like Tales of Symphonia when after killing a bunch of enemies Sheena yells "And don't come back!" to while Colette replies "I don't think they CAN come back."

PaulloDEC

I hope not. Crash sucks so bad. It amuses me how overated the first 3 games are.

This comment strikes me as a bad joke. A lame gag, even.

Seriously though, the games were popular, commercial successful and critically acclaimed. How much more evidence that they didn't suck do you need?

Kouichi

There's definitely going to be a new Crash game on the PS4. There's no way it's not going to happen with all the hints and teases. I'm already past wondering if it's being made, and now wondering who's making it.

Please keep him in the 90s, we already have Sonic to play he part of drunk uncle who was cool when you're a kid, but two decades later his schtick is just sad and you wish he'd admit he has a problem and go to rehab already.

Let us just keep those fond memories of him.

Fbh

Would be cool if the IP came back but right now I don't even know who would or could develop it.

Nostalgia will only take them so far. But for a Crash Reboot/Sequel to work it would also need to be a top tier game, it needs to be the type of 3D platformer that's comparable to one made by Nintendo, as it was during the Ps1 era.

I just hope it will not turn to Sony's Skylanders. If they really plan to revive it, I hope they'll stay with the simpleness of the first games. A simple, yet fun platformer.

Nah, the figures market is pretty saturated right now with Skylanders, Disney Infinity, Lego, Amiibos, etc.
I wouldn't want to go compete against universally known IP's like Star Wars and Marvel with a franchise that is mostly remembered by people in their 20's.

Skylanders managed to do so but they also had the right timing and were the first of these big "Figures come to life" games. They didn't have such a strong IP but they had the, at the time, originalo concept to make up for it. Sony would have neither with Crash

Zalman

I hope it happens because I feel like Sony needs a character like that. Someone who represents their early days.

Man

Please keep him in the 90s, we already have Sonic to play he part of drunk uncle who was cool when you're a kid, but two decades later his schtick is just sad and you wish he'd admit he has a problem and go to rehab already.
Crash is the one platformer that still brings out chuckles in me. It works across multiple levels ala Simpsons etc.
Mario games are fantastic but Crash also offered cross-generation humor.

Year of Dreams 2 - Electric Boogaloo

- Crash Bandicoot
- Final Fantasy VIII Remake
- Agent
- Half-Life 3

(at best, only one of those will happen)

Let us just keep those fond memories of him.

Is this another one of those posts where the person erroneously remembers Crash as a "90's TUDE™ character"? Because he was not that. He was related more to 1940s Looney Tunes than that.

Crash is the one platformer that still brings out chuckles in me. It works across multiple levels ala Simpsons etc.
Mario games are fantastic but Crash also offered cross-generation humor.

He gets it.

Scotia

Banned
Year of Dreams 2 - Electric Boogaloo

- Crash Bandicoot
- Final Fantasy VIII Remake
- Agent
- Half-Life 3

(at best, only one of those will happen)

As much I'd love this to happen, there is literally zero chance this will happen. FF7 would have to make more than 8 and 9 did combined before SE consider remaking FF8. I'd honestly settle for a FF8 port on PS4.

Ok lets say for a second that "Crash is coming back".

Who the hell will make this new Crash?Because Naughty Dog has already said they have no interest in working on a new Crash game.

And would you really like to see a new Crash game even if it's not made by ND?

Big Red Button. It's where Bob Rafei is!

Top Bottom