• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NECA Toys director outright says Crash Bandicoot is coming back

entremet

I have a feeling Crash will be revived, it will underperform, and goodbye Crash.

These types of properties haven't been doing well on Sony platforms for a bit now.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Crash is the one platformer that still brings out chuckles in me. It works across multiple levels ala Simpsons etc.
Mario games are fantastic but Crash also offered cross-generation humor.

obeAadf.gif

Gematsu have reported the news on their own site now, and have helpfully provided a comprehensive list of all the nods and signs that suggest a Crash Bandicoot game is in the works...

Far too many signs have pointed to Sony somehow resurrecting the Crash Bandicoot series. In brief:

Before PlayStation 4 launched, Sony released a trailer featuring subtle imagery that suggested Crash Bandicoot had returned to the company. The same trailer featured a Street Fighter Haduoken cab service, and both Ultra Street Fighter IV and Street Fighter V were announced for PlayStation 4 a year later.

Robomodo has asked Activision if it could include Crash Bandicoot in Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 5, but were denied. On Twitter, the company said it was not Activision’s fault, and that it was a combination of timing and rights, so it “wasn’t much of a discussion.”

At PlayStation Experience 2015 in December, Sony Computer Entertainment America president and CEO Shawn Layden wore a Crash Bandicoot t-shirt with a PlayStation logo on the sleeve (pictured). He similarly wore a Vib Ribbon button-down for Sony Computer Entertainment America’s ice bucket challenge video, and Vib Ribbon was released on PlayStation Network a few months later.

The official PlayStation Middle East Twitter account has on and off teased Crash Bandicoot.

If you’re a fan of NeoGAF insiders, it’s apparently happening, according to at least one well-trusted forum member.

Crash has about as much brand recognition as Knack right now. I don't see the point.
I don't think your statement rings true, I reckon a lot of people from from back in the 90s would remember him. Even if if you're correct, most of us don't give a shit about it. We just want to see him return.

SDCowboy

I doubt anyone at ND wants to make a Crash game. Why work on a kids platformer when you can work on the next big immersive top notch story game?

At least I wouldn't trade a TLOU/Uncharted team spot for a platformer.

I would think it would be a fun little side project that differs from what they usually work on.

entremet

Puppeteer, Tearaway, Gravity Rush.

The cream of the crop of recent Sony brands have been heavily marketed to older demographics--Uncharted, TLOU, GT, God of War.

It's nice Sony is trying and I love more diversity, but I just think the audience isn't there anymore.

It's clearly happening. Anyone who says it's not is in borderline denial.

Yep.

Puppeteer, Tearaway, Gravity Rush.

The cream of the crop of recent Sony brands have been heavily marketed to older demographics--Uncharted, TLOU, GT, God of War.

It's nice Sony is trying and I love more diversity, but I just think the audience isn't there anymore.

Oh come on, all of them are new IP's, and two of them first appeared on the Vita. They're hardly comparable to Crash.

entremet

Yep.

Oh come on, all of them are new IP's, and two of them first appeared on the Vita. They're hardly comparable to Crash.

Crash hasn't been relevant for whole generations, though.

When was the last time a Crash game was talked about in GOTY lists?

Activision turned it into an also ran kid's franchise. ModNation Racers was also a kid friendly Sony IP that underperformed.

entremet

Ummmm when the games were still being printed?

Dunno bout you but I don't sit around recalling my GoTY from 1994

Crash 1-3 had consideration in GOTY lists. I may have not won any, but those games were definitely up there for consideration. My argument is more about relevancy.

I hope the game comes out and just skeptical that its revival will be a successful one. The market has moved on and Sony's strategy is a bit different from their PS1 days.

The move never made sense to me from a business perspective.

I doubt anyone at ND wants to make a Crash game. Why work on a kids platformer when you can work on the next big immersive top notch story game?

At least I wouldn't trade a TLOU/Uncharted team spot for a platformer.

Wasn't Naughty Dog debating between Jak 4 and TLOU before they decided to move forward with the latter? They even made a bunch of concept apart for it. That to me says they are not averse to making platformers.

Crash hasn't been relevant for whole generations, though.

When was the last time a Crash game was talked about in GOTY lists?

Activision turned it into an also ran kid's franchise. ModNation Racers was also a kid friendly Sony IP that underperformed.

Just like Donkey Kong Country Returns right? Or the whole Shenmue III situation? Who cares how long Crash has been out of action. And why would he even be relevant with no games coming out anyway? The brand is still strong and fans will gobble up his overdue return.

entremet

Wasn't Naughty Dog debating between Jak 4 and TLOU before they decided to move forward with the latter? They even made a bunch of concept apart for it. That to me says they are not averse to making platformers.

I thought they said themselves that they are done with those properties.

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/naughty-dog-says-no-to-a-return-to-crash-bandicoot-or-jak-and-daxter

Just like Donkey Kong Returns right? Or the whole Shenmue III situation? Who cares how long Crash has been out of action. And why would he even be relevant with no games coming out anyway? The brand is still strong and fans will gobble up his overdue return.

Nintendo's ecosystem has proven that it's able to support full price platformers. And Shenmue III is only happening because of Crowdfunding and it's with the original designer.

Crash is a bit tricky since the brand was totally harmed by Activision. It had a massive hiatus, different developers, and creative aims of it's original parent have changed.

I'm skeptical of its success. I'm not saying it should cease exist. I own a PS4, so I want it to happen. I also like platformers, but I just think Sony and that audience has moved on.

Hopefully, Sony puts some marketing muscle behind it unlike their other family friendly IP.

Zalman

I believe a Crash game would do well in 2016. I'm always surprised to see how many people I meet (who are not nearly as much into games) still remember and talk about him. If they market this as the return of Crash, with classic style gameplay, I think people would go nuts for it.

Nintendo's ecosystem has proven that it's able to support full price platformers. And Shenmue III is only happening because of Crowdfunding and it's with the original designer.

Crash is a bit tricky since the brand was totally harmed by Activision. It had a massive hiatus, different developers, and creative aims of it's original parent have changed.

I'm skeptical of its success. I'm not saying it should cease exist. I own a PS4, so I want it to happen. I also like platformers, but I just think Sony and that audience has moved on.

Hopefully, Sony puts some marketing muscle behind it unlike their other family friendly IP.

I don't think anyone will care what Activision did to the brand if this new Crash ends up being similar in quality to the original trilogy - I sure won't. I get the whole 'Sony is mature' thing, but I think a good Crash game still has a potentially very successful spot on the PS4. Don't underestimate the brand power/appeal. The fans will come back.

TM94

Crash still has big brand recognition.

Top of the Classics charts every month, at least for EU

And just generally looking through social media, people are very excited over the possibility of a new game, with big mainstream accounts such as Complex reporting the rumour to their millions of followers.

Crash 1-3 had consideration in GOTY lists. I may have not won any, but those games were definitely up there for consideration. My argument is more about relevancy.

I hope the game comes out and just skeptical that its revival will be a successful one. The market has moved on and Sony's strategy is a bit different from their PS1 days.

The move never made sense to me from a business perspective.
That is the problem. You're looking at it solely from a business perspective when this isn't all the move is about. Shu has even stated they knowingly release titles that will not make profit but they do it anyway to please fans, add diversity, etc... They feel the bigger titles will make up for the loss.

So, it doesn't really matter. If it isn't a financial success, oh well. If it is, great. Either way, crash is seemingly coming back and that is what it all comes down to. Another way to please the more core market and get goodwill.

My one and only concern about a new Crash would be level design. Who would be the people making it?

Crash is still a great platformer and it's thanks to more than just good controls and characters =X

But yeah, can't wait for the reveal.

entremet

That is the problem. You're looking at it solely from a business perspective when this isn't all the move is about. Shu has even stated they knowingly release titles that will not make profit but they do it anyway to please fans, add diversity, etc... They feel the bigger titles will make up for the loss.

So, it doesn't really matter. If it isn't a financial success, oh well. If it is, great. Either way, crash is seemingly coming back and that is what it all comes down to. Another way to please the more core market and get goodwill.

Isn't the license still with Activision, though?

I'm not equating just development and marketing costs here. But the cost of regaining the rights to Crash.

I'm not equating just development and marketing costs here. But the cost of regaining the rights to Crash.

We have no way of knowing for sure, as the Trademarks would not have any assignment documents on the USPTO database until the deal was made public and the paperwork submitted, if such a deal occurred.

_Ryo_

Let us dispell with this notion that SONY PlayStation do not understand what they're doing. They know exactly what they're doing and are trying to change gaming!

No way to know. This would imply something has been worked out with Activision. Either way, I still say all those costs are, for the most part, irrelevant. We have no way of quantifying what they would be anyway so it is moot.

Let us dispell with this notion that SONY PlayStation do not understand what they're doing. They know exactly what they're doing and are trying to change gaming!
lol

Liamc723

It's clearly happening. Anyone who says it's not is in borderline denial.

Nah, I still find it far too hard to believe. We've heard stuff like this all the time and nothing has ever come of it.

I'll believe it when it's actually announced.

Top Bottom