• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NECA Toys director outright says Crash Bandicoot is coming back

If they do bring Crash back they need to completely overhaul what the game is

I loved the games back then but people are right when they say that type of release will crash and burn in 2016

Use the character and nostalgia as a selling point for a reimagined platformer

AniHawk

if activision is doing it, have the skylanders team make the game. maybe call it crashlanders and have it exclusive to ps4. failing that, grab media.molecule and make them do a crash platformer. they can pull off 2d and 3d platforming better than any sony studio.

or hell, ask wayforward to do it. wayforward's got some history with old ips and some talented folks.

Kinsei

Banned
If they do bring Crash back they need to completely overhaul what the game is

I loved the games back then but people are right when they say that type of release will crash and burn in 2016

Use the character and nostalgia as a selling point for a reimagined platformer

That would suck. I want a Crash game like the old ones.

Onaco

Please tell me which games currently in the market are like Crash and how their sales are, because I don't see this call four major changes when there's no other game on the market that plays like Crash completely.

You can make it in the spirit of the old games but those were restricted by the technology of that age. It would be silly to make the exact same game when all the advances in hardware, software, and game design since then allow for so many new ideas

Sponge

Banned
Please tell me which games currently in the market are like Crash and how their sales are, because I don't see this call four major changes when there's no other game on the market that plays like Crash completely.

Crash was Sony's Mario, so that alone says volumes to me that Crash is worth reviving.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I ain't believing anything until I see it. Better to be excited and surprised when it happens rather than be disappointed every time it's not announced.

What has the team that made Knack been doing since release?

Knack 2.

qko

Sony would be dumb not to get in the Amiibo/Disney Infinity/Skylanders business. Crash seems like the perfect franchise with 3D platforming and racing games in it's past.

WadeitOut

It has to be a complete re-imaging of what the game is because the classic style was awful. Nostalgia is the only thing good about those games.

Drencrom

You can make it in the spirit of the old games but those were restricted by the technology of that age. It would be silly to make the exact same game when all the advances in hardware, software, and game design since then allow for so many new ideas

Exactly, I personally think a linear yet semi-open platformer like Super Mario 3D World would be perfect for a reimagining of the classic Crash games.

N.Domixis

Banned
What about a level design like ratchet where you have open and linear areas spread throughout a zone? They have done traveling across islands, the whole planet, time, and sometimes different dimensions. What about going to different worlds across the universe? Like crash nitro kart did? Or is this to similar to ratchet and clank.

If sony have the rights we need a Ratchet and Crash cross over. Imagine they have to travel the throughout the universe to collect the seven Super Crystals that can grant any wish to prevent Dr. N. Cortex and Dr. Nefarious from using them!

Which reminds me, I loved how many bosses in crash had names with N.

N. Brio
N. Gin
N. Tropy
N. Trance
N. Oxide
N. Cortex

They could use N. Tangled, N. Dromeda, N.Vious, N. Zyme
I'm getting to excited over this.

FelipeMGM

Talking about how they could make the game, I would not mind if they took Twinsanity model, putting a little spin of modern platforming games like Ratchet and Sly. You know, kinda open kinda linear. But I guess if they are bringing this back they are prob not risking too much.

New Crash by Sanzaru and new CTR by Sumo Digital. That would be the dream...

Not confirmed officially but it was in some dude's resume.

Its a woman actually

First step is just remastering the first 3 games with HD and trophies. Then take it from there, I'm actually kinda excited.

I'm a believer...

I have to say it would be stupid of Sony to bring Crash "back" if they didnt buy him. They just be pouiring their money for Activision to later reap the rewards.

It would be cool for Sony to back a AAA Crash game tho. Kids are market I dont think PS4 has reached yet. And if you want Wii or PS2 type of sales; you need your platformers.

Actually, considering their generally poor output, I think it's fair to say they're both overrated and, given the legacy of Clover, completely undeserving of the praise.

Too many people remember the Bayonettas and forget the Anarchy Reigns and Legend of Korras.

Even that Korra game has better gamepaly than most any on the market — it's also proof of how well the company can in spite of extremely limited budget/turnaround which licensed Activision games (or children's cartoon properties, no less) are notorious for. That project would've been (understandably) irredeemable if it were developed almost anyone else.

Platinum have specialized in the stylish action genre, are haven't proven they're a good fit for a 3D platformer, but to act as if they are somehow poor developers is tunnel-vision at best, and pure, blind stupidity at worst

Exactly, I personally think a linear yet semi-open platformer like Super Mario 3D World would be perfect for a reimagining of the classic Crash games.

Don't know if old-style Crash lends itself well to anything remotely open. Not that it would be bad per se, but still,.

But Crash was rubbish!

Right, guys?

....right?

/tumbleweed

I still think that is a vastly overrated franchise that coasts by on nostalgia more than good game design. That said, I recognize that I am in the minority on this one. :)

Happy it is coming back so that fans can enjoy a new game in the series!

I still think that is a vastly overrated franchise that coasts by on nostalgia more than good game design. That said, I recognize that I am in the minority on this one. :)

Happy it is coming back so that fans can enjoy a new game in the series!

I can completely understand that but replaying the games on my Vita has revealed just how great the mechanics and design of the games are to me. So much fun going back through them

Sponge

Banned
I can completely understand that but replaying the games on my Vita has revealed just how great the mechanics and design of the games are to me. So much fun going back through them

Agreed! I still pick up Crash 3 every now and then and have a good time with it. Same with PaRappa 1.

Drencrom

Don't know if old-style Crash lends itself well to anything remotely open. Not that it would be bad per se, but still,.

Not sure if you have played SM3DW but the levels aren't really open per say but they are wider linear levels with some space for you to move around, I really do think that would be great for a modern Crash game. You could still offer tight platforming sections too in a game like that so.

Yes, I replayed Crash 2 about two years ago and it definitely still held up and was a lot of fun. Just thinking about the potential of a new PS4 game in the vein of the originals is exciting!

N.Domixis

Banned

Any new news? Wink Wink.

lucille-bluth-005.w529.h352.gif

I don't think I'll ever understand the amount of love for crash. I owned and enjoyed 1-3 when the originally came out, but I never thought of them as the end-all be all. Wonder if it has something to do with me being a multi-console owner at the time... So I was playing Mario 64/etc at the same time.

Edit: I'd still buy and play a new crash. I just won't be nearly as excited as others.

Naughty Dog are clearly the studio making the new Crash. That Uncharted 4 set-piece featuring Nate and Sam driving away from the tank is just a warm-up for their new, current-gen brand of boulder running antics.

Auctopus

Imagine if Crash comes back and is the most perfect platformer but it flops because the current mainstream market doesn't give a shit about the genre.

WadeitOut

How was it, in your terms, "awful"? Did you even play the games?

The platforming/puzzling/whatever and the writing was awful IMO. They need to let Insomniac do it.

I've never known anyone who actually though they were above average at best outside of this forum.

lame gag

Banned
The platforming/puzzling/whatever and the writing was awful IMO. They need to let Insomniac do it.

I've never known anyone who actually though they were above average at best outside of this forum.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was just used to playing better platform games before Crash came out I guess because I don't see why they're so great.

It's a better effort than Way Of The Warrior, I'll give ND that much.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

SNURB

Tell that to the people who constantly buy the games on PSN that are still selling like hotcakes.

WadeitOut

Tell that to the people who constantly buy the games on PSN that are still selling like hotcakes.

A lot of people like a lot of things that I think suck. This is how the world usually works. We wouldn't need presidential elections otherwise.

I'd take a Gex or Jak & Daxter over a Crash game any day of the week.

Elaborating on a thought: how not to do it.

It's exactly how you do it on Valentines day when you are killing time waiting for your SO to get ready.

Top Bottom