• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NECA Toys director outright says Crash Bandicoot is coming back

Drencrom

Is this another one of those posts where the person erroneously remembers Crash as a "90's TUDE™ character"? Because he was not that. He was related more to 1940s Looney Tunes than that.
Crash is the one platformer that still brings out chuckles in me. It works across multiple levels ala Simpsons etc.
Mario games are fantastic but Crash also offered cross-generation humor.
The original trilogy had inspirations from Loony Tunes cartoons, and imho that's evident in the funny ways crash dies and a few of the themes and character designs.

This!

I always get annoyed when people compare Crash to Sonic and other edgy 90s mascot characters, it's very evident that Crash was made more to be like a silly cartoon character with his overdone animations, goofy facial expressions and mannerisms.

Just look at his foolish/goofy looking running and idle animations, tazmanian devil like spin-attack, his expressions of fear when he's in danger, corny victory poses/dances and his Wile E. Coyote like deaths. Not exactly like Sonic with his angry looks, sassy finger waving and edgy tween attitude.

Slime

Banned
Its probably nothing, NECA makes lots of figures of dead franchises.

Definitely seems like it would be an evolution of their retro video game figures.
wAq5alJ.jpg

They've got the 80s covered, only makes sense they'd move on to 90s nostalgia eventually.

To me the biggest tell in all of this is the Robomodo thing. What possible reason could Activision have for refusing Crash in that game? And if it really is "out of Activision's control" then how could that be for any reason other than a new title in development?

Definitely seems like it would be an evolution of their retro video game figures.

They've got the 80s covered, only makes sense they'd move on to 90s nostalgia eventually.

That's just their lets repaint our already made figure molds and try to resell them line.

Push Square reported the news also (as have many other sites), but this little tidbit of info from their article caught my eye ...

But at what point do all of the hints, teases, and leaks coalesce as cold hard fact? We're not going to lie, every single time that we write about Crash we get huge traffic, and Sony must be seeing similar metrics internally. In truth, we honestly believe that something is happening behind the scenes. Exactly what that may be remains to be seen, though...

A pox on the naysayers who say people don't give a shit about Crash anymore. As if the PSN monthly charts weren't enough.

Son Of D

Crash is still huge. The PSN releases still sell well on PS3 and Vita. And if they want to test the PS4 audience for such a game then remasters of the PS1 games (like what FFVII got) would be a good idea.

N.Domixis

Banned
The nostalgia for crash is strong. Many people loved in growing up and I always hear non gamer say how much they miss crash. And I see this repeated by many people across many forums. Crash was popular because the original games were very good. Once the ps2 era started the quality changed and people have been waiting for a good crash game for awhile.

Here is a sneak peak of the chairs people attending E3 2016 will be using while sitting through Sony's presentation. After last E3 sony isn't taking any chances.

SmlImg534740645open-front-commode-chair-1-228.jpg

ZarKryn7

Well then. NECA can't be making these Crash toys for nothing considering his 20th anniversary is this year.

I just can't believe he just outright said that. Like "yeah, Sony is bringing him back.".. As if he didn't care he just broke his NDA or whatever contract he's on.

ZarKryn7

I just want a classic Crash game. Or heck, a Crash Team Racing sequel. Remember the last time when Radical made those garbage edgy action oriented games? Yeah, fuck that. I don't want plantnium to even try doing that again.

RK128

It's interesting to note that he lumps Crash in with the range of collectibles and figurines from Sony properties like God of War, Uncharted and LittleBigPlanet.

"Looking at some of their other titles..."

....... PlayStation Amiibo's coming :D?

I'm serious, as they could make big buck off the idea using Sony and 3rd Party IP. Nintendo showed they sell, as does Skylanders/Disney Infinity, so who knows.

Going back to the main topic though, Cash is happening this year and its great to see the evidence pile up.

Auctopus

It's weird how many different outlets jump on stories about Crash returning.

A GQ-esque Twitter that I follow that usually scoffs at the idea of video games just posted about it (with no source obviously). I guess it's "cool" because it's old.

Just because you don't think they'd be a good fit for crash doesn't mean you need to make a fool of yourself

Actually, considering their generally poor output, I think it's fair to say they're both overrated and, given the legacy of Clover, completely undeserving of the praise.

Too many people remember the Bayonettas and forget the Anarchy Reigns and Legend of Korras.

RK128

If it's an Activision game, we already know the developer.

IhP1K1eG.png

It would be interesting seeing Platinum take on Crash....

They had staff that worked on Viewitful Joe before, same with Okami, so its not like they are completely in-experienced with making platformers.

And the fact they work great with mid/low budgets could mean they could make a great Crash game with little money being spent by either Sony or Activision.

The action-focused style they have might work in Crash's favor, considering it could have a very clear focus on forward-level design (like the original PS1 games). Very interested if they tackle Crash as their next project.

Tizoc

This!

I always get annoyed when people compare Crash to Sonic and other edgy 90s mascot characters, it's very evident that Crash was made more to be like a silly cartoon character with his overdone animations, goofy facial expressions and mannerisms.

Just look at his foolish/goofy looking running and idle animations, tazmanian devil like spin-attack, his expressions of fear when he's in danger, corny victory poses/dances and his Wile E. Coyote like deaths. Not exactly like Sonic with his angry looks, sassy finger waving and edgy tween attitude.

I think it's unfair to say Sonic and a few other 90s mascots were 'edgy', they were only like that on their US covers, take Sonic and Rocket Knight for example-
At the very least the JP game mascots were less edgy and more cartoony.

Heck some of Crash's non JP PSOne covers had that edgy feel about them (Looking at you US Crash 2 cover!)

RK128

Actually, considering their generally poor output, I think it's fair to say they're both overrated and, given the legacy of Clover, completely undeserving of the praise.

Too many people remember the Bayonettas and forget the Anarchy Reigns and Legend of Korras.

Only two duds compared to everything else they put out (Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 1 & 2, Transformers, Vanquish, Madworld, MGR) isn't enough to call them a bad developer I feel :l.

But opinions and all that, so what do I know :).

Only two duds compared to everything else they put out (Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 1 & 2, Transformers, Vanquish, Madworld, MGR) isn't enough to call them a bad developer I feel :l.

But opinions and all that, so what do I know :).

I don't actually rate anything they've ever done (apart from Vanquish) to be completely honest and compared to what Clover produced, I just find them to be one of the most disappointing developers in history.

But, yeah, opinions and all that.

You... I like you.

I've never played a Platinum game with good level design. In that respect, I'd rather they didn't touch Crash Bandicoot with a 60ft barge pole.

But who am I kidding, I didn't really like anything about the Platinum games I've played. Overrated isn't the word.

Boke1879

At this point I do believe a Crash game is coming. Just too much smoke. That said. I'm just worried about what type of game it'll be. They have to do right by this series.

At this point I do believe a Crash game is coming. Just too much smoke. That said. I'm just worried about what type of game it'll be. They have to do right by this series.

This is one of those REmake 2 situations. It's so obvious that they shouldn't change a working formula but you just know some company buffoon is having a few too many ''great ideas'' to ''widen the appeal''. At least I have more faith in Sony than Capcom in this matter.

RK128

This is one of those REmake 2 situations. It's so obvious that they shouldn't change a working formula but you just know some company buffoon is having a few too many ''great ideas'' to ''widen the appeal''. At least I have more faith in Sony than Capcom in this matter.

A Crash game is painfully easy to make; either a semi-open world style that Twinsanity tried pulling off or a game in line with the original PS1 trilogy. Remake 2 I have hope for too, as Remake HD and RE Zero HD did really well for Capcom. They will ensure Remake 2 is like the original RE2 to ensure the least amount of backlash from the community.

Boke1879

Yup. We're all excited for REmake 2, but we don't know if they'll make it similar to REmake 1 like they should.

I'm kinda conflicted. If a new Crash if coming out should they keep it the same formula as previous games?

Not gonna lie. I've always wanted a Crash game like Mario 64.

Whatever this ends up being, Mutato Muzika need to be involved. If they can't get Mark Mothersbaugh, fine, but Josh Mancell is a must.

I don't think Legend of Korra was bad for what it was. A digital only title with a seemingly low budget. They did what they could with that.

With that being said, I do think Platinum is overrated. They are pretty competent devs who can make good gameplay but overrated nonetheless.

But yeah, back to Crash!!!

Top Bottom