• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed is the best video game movie since Mortal Kombat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

I happened to catch it the other day. It totally captures the games as far as driving goes.It even had first person simulation mode. The car chases are better than any i seen in FF, they are not crazy. But they are filmed better and looked better put together.

The only soft spot was Micheal Keaton, he was obviously in "make my check out to cash" mode, not knocking the hustle but his character just talked weird for no reason. Shout out to the alien dude from Mr.Robot.

If a game...doesnt have a story

Then is the movie "of the game" really a "movie of the game" if nothing is shared except the "premise" with "premise" being in quotes because in the context of the video game you would not call genre a "premise". Street Fighter has a genre and a premise. Need For Speed's genre is premise. So I struggle to call this "Need For Speed" a good "movie of the game" if the movie "of the game" is just a name.

Then is the movie "of the game" really a "movie of the game" if nothing is shared except the "premise" with "premise" being in quotes because in the context of the video game you would not call genre a "premise". Street Fighter has a genre and a premise. Need For Speed's genre is premise. So I struggle to call this "Need For Speed" a good "movie of the game" if the movie "of the game" is just a name.
You're overthinking it. It's an adaptation of a series about street racing and evading police,

Slayven

A couple of Need For Speed games have a stories, Need for Speed Underground comes to mind

Prologue

I love the movie.

Wonderful cast chemistry.

Beautiful set pieces

Nice cars

Incredible soundtrack

Incredible sound effects.

I've watched it numerous times on blu ray. One of my guilty pleasures.

is Get Low on the soundtrack

is riders on the storm by snoop dogg featuring the doors (I never understood that fucking artist credit) on the soundtrack

are you suggesting Need for Speed never has a story because then you'd have to explain how fan favorite razor callahan is NOT one of the top 10 best video game characters

and you can't explain that

Ronin Ray

My suppliants are natural and fully approved by the GAF athletic commission

Real talk, Resident evil and Underworld movies blur together for some strange reason to me

That's not an uncommon or strange thing. The only difference is the RE movies got funnier and dumber and the underworld movies stayed way to self serious .

Hitman, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, and Prince of Persia are the best game adaptations

They're shit adaptations, but they're at least mediocre and entertaining action/zombie/fantasy adventure movies

Most game adaptations aren't even the latter

sirap

I can't wrap my head around Jesse Pinkman trying to be a badass.

Dude is what, 5'8"* and a buck fifty? Yo this ain't F1. You ain't gonna be Vin when you look like Han.

Slayven

Hitman, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, and Prince of Persia are the best game adaptations

They're shit adaptations, but they're at least mediocre and entertaining action/zombie/fantasy adventure movies

You would think there would be a longer list, cause lets be real, video gaming writing is not high art.

I can't wrap my head around Jesse Pinkman trying to be a badass.

Dude is what, 5'8"* and a buck fifty? Yo this ain't F1. You ain't gonna be Vin when you look like Han.

It was hard to see him try to buck up to folks.

daviyoung

Banned
I hate the scene where Jesse Pinkman overtakes a cyclist really fast and makes him lose his balance a little, and then there's a shot of him smiling maniacally at the deed. What kind of hero is this twat supposed to be? And even worse, what kind of audience is that supposed to appeal to for them to be like "hell yeh Jesse, you show that fucking no-good cyclist!"

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Yeah, oddly enough, my wife and I both have had more than one conversation about how surprised we were at how much we enjoyed the movie. Like every so often one of us will go "hey...remember that need for speed movie? We should watch it again, it was actually pretty decent...anyways lets go kill a hooker and set a nursing home on fire.

It's a fun film. I actually liked Keaton in it. I think Aaron Paul is solid, but he's actually the weakest spot of the film. He's trying to go for DRAMATIC GRAVITAS, but it doesn't really fit all the well with the film. The stunts are refreshingly grounded and the driving is solid.

I wonder if they're still planning to do a sequel. Given how F&F has become something completely different than it started out, I think they could capitalize on people who still want a grounded, racing-oriented film property.

You would think there would be a longer list, cause lets be real, video gaming writing is not high art.

It was hard to see him try to buck up to folks.
Game adaptations are either "Stuff and References From The Games: the Movie" (ie most) or "completely rewrite everything + Stuff and References From The Games" (ie Resident Evil, Max Payne, Doom, the most recent Hitman, etc.)

Ideally, the trick would be the Marvel approach. Take the basic concept/premise and alter, twist, condense, and so on so it works as a film first. Like how they took the basic idea of Civil War and reshaped and retrofitted it to work onscreen and make sense within the MCU

Assassin's Creed had the right idea, but was just a pretty bad movie. You still got to make a good movie first

I remember liking it aswell, same with the Ratchet and Clank Movie. To bad they didnt do too well from what i remember especially Ratchet i was working at a movie theater and it was gone in a week.

Protome

I remember liking it aswell, same with the Ratchet and Clank Movie. To bad they didnt do too well from what i remember especially Ratchet i was working at a movie theater and it was gone in a week.

I saw Ratchet and Clank on release day with a few of my friends and the place was near enough empty except for us. Was a bummer because it was a fun movie.

Nielm

This movie completely fell off the radar, at least from what I've noticed. Probably because of The Fast And The Furious, but other reasons too of course.

Daffy Duck

I loved it!

You are right it did capture the essence of the game for me.

I really hope we get another one, it's the only street racing film now the fast and furious films aren't really about that anymore.

21046-620x-Phoenix-Wright.jpg

gforguava

People still haven't come around on DOA yet? Shame.

It is the only video game film that knows exactly what it is and is content with that. Fighting, hot girls, a round of volleyball, and a hammy villain for good measure. Plus Kevin Nash.

doapetals.png

doarainfight.png

doa.png

zeemumu

The first two are top notch modern video game based cibema.

First one's okay, but the second one gave Nemesis FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGS

I'll have to disagree on this, though. I think the first Silent Hill and the first RE were pretty good as far as video game films go.

Twisted Metal would make an amazing Action-Horror movie.

twisted-metal-o.gif

TheFlow

Banned

Booo this post. Those movies are so trash. Need for speed is better than them all except resident evil

Pusherman

I didn't care for any of the characters and I thought the Breaking Bad guy made a really bad main character. No charisma whatsoever, and that's despite me really liking him as Jesse. Even worse, the best race is right at the start. None of the other races and chases were as cool.

Street Fighter is a better movie. So is the first Tomb Raider. Hell, even the forgettable Prince of Persia was more enjoyable.

Amagon

Good movie but the Yakuza movie is the best video game movie that those a real good job translating the story and game elements to screen.

Highly underrated and recommended!

pa22word

I always thought DOOM was a fun movie. Dumb as shit, but entertaining in its own ways. Plus The Rock just hams it up for 2 hours with Maximum Ham ("Big.....FUCKING...Gun") and Karl Urban is always fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom