• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted by Criterion [use new thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dany

Banned
Criterion should make another burnout game.

EA will never allow them to make another burnout game.

Fuck this.

Looks like frostbite engine. The Run looked amazing, and now that criterion isbehind this one its not gonna have shitty gameplay.

Stop using these names over and over again guys. Like, 50 years from now, saying "I played X" needs to be followed up with a dozen clarifications.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Thank goodness for confirmation.

I'll be buying a NFS game this year, looks like.

And I want them to bring back the BMW M3 from the first game.

Excellent - it's Critierion so it should be good. Please be more like Hot Pursuit and less like Burnout Paradise; don't need any of that open-world shit dragging down the experience.

TUSR

Banned
Click, pow, nine thou, what?

shape shifter

prodigy

fired up

etc.

Can't wait to see if they can top these tracks.

jett

D-Member
Excellent - it's Critierion so it should be good. Please be more like Hot Pursuit and less like Burnout Paradise; don't need any of that open-world shit dragging down the experience.

How about being less like Hot Pursuit and more like Burnout Paradise so we don't drive cars that control like molasses.

When I played Criterion's HP I was hoping it would handle like a Burnout game, but nope.

popeutlal

That orange sunrise/sunset lighting looks terrible in all games, specially in racing games. Just stick with full day time or night time lighting.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Really wish this was a burnout game but just called NFS for sales.

I'll take the worst burnout over the best need for speed :(

EA really don't care about Burnout any more, do they? Paradise was such an awesome title, well received and it sold okay too, so why ignore it?

How to piss off fans and alienate gamers by Electronic Arts.

EA really don't care about Burnout any more, do they? Paradise was such an awesome title, well received and it sold okay too, so why ignore it?

How to piss off fans and alienate gamers by Electronic Arts.

NFS is significantly more popular than Burnout. Hot Pursuit was Criterion's best selling title by quite a wide margin.

LuchaShaq

Banned
At this point I'd rather they not

Would people really want Paradise 2?

Why wouldn't we?

I'd rather have paradise 2 than some NFS game with basically no single player because of Autolog boring nonsense. Also every second I played hot pursuit I wish it controlled better aka like burnout.

Seriously just call it need for speed paradise and make it play like burnout. The idiots that buy stuff just because it says need for speed will be happy it plays well and burnout people will be psyched. Everyone wins.

How about being less like Hot Pursuit and more like Burnout Paradise so we don't drive cars that control like molasses.

How about being more like Hot Pursuit and less like Paradise so that we can have some genuine challenge and variety in the game. None of this "You've upgraded your license - now you can play all the same races again in a setting you've discovered everything of in the first hour!" bullshit that was inherent in the latter.

Most Wanted was open-world...

I've never played it, so that's disheartening to hear.

NFS is significantly more popular than Burnout. Hot Pursuit was Criterion's best selling title by quite a wide margin.

Hot Pursuit was good, but Burnout is a different kettle of fish to Need For Speed as a whole and is being silently killed so EA can put out something decent with the NFS brand attached to it rather than the dross that has come from it in more recent years.

Haunted

Screenshot doesn't look hot, and it would need to be better than the excellent Hot Pursuit for me to buy this.

Give it your best shot, Criterion.

I absolutely hated the driving physics in Criterion's HP, so I'm really saddened that they're doing the rebootmakesequelwhatever of my favorite NFS.

gdt

YES. Criterion has me interested. HP was great, and Burnout Paradise is one of my favorite racing games, period.

Will buy.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I see people that want a return to the old style Burnouts, but I'm fine either way. That said, Most Wanted was the most fun I've ever had with an NFS game so I'm hyped for this.

FStop7

Banned
I just want awesome chases. The chases in Hot Pursuit were some of the most fun I've had in any driving game, ever. There weren't nearly enough of them, either. Too many lame time trials.

Please, Criterion - put more of that into Most Wanted.

iNvid02

fuck yes

just dont fuck up the matchmaking and treat pc like garbage this time

that being said, hot pursuit is my fav racing game this gen

vermadas

I disliked the 30 FPS in Criterion's Hot Pursuit but I dealt with it because the game play was still good. My problem with the game was all the extra bullshit that took me out of racing or prolonged the amount of time between races. Pass a cop for the first time on a race? BAM short cutscene to show the cop and to highlight the awesome car he's driving! Earn an upgrade or three? Time to sit through some prolonged unnecessary cut-scenes to show them off!

I blame a lot of this on the NFS license. I honestly don't give a shit about having licensed vehicles or not, or what their features are. I'm completely fine with having generic cars with stats represented by a few bars.

I also found a few of the events in the game hellishly difficult, but this was only a problem because the game wasted so much of my time with the aforementioned bullshit. I don't mind retrying stuff over and over to get better at it, just make the process quick and painless. Imagine if every time you had to retry a track in Trials you had to wait 5 sec for the track to load, and then every time after first two checkpoints that you already mastered the game took your control away for 3 seconds to focus on some random object in the background.

Burnout Paradise is still my favorite racing game this gen, and it makes me sad to see Criterion fail to live up to its potential on their follow up releases.

I blame a lot of this on the NFS license. I honestly don't give a shit about having licensed vehicles or not, or what their features are. I'm completely fine with having generic cars with stats represented by a few bars.

Burnout Paradise is still my favorite racing game this gen, and it makes me sad to see Criterion fail to live up to its potential on their follow up releases.

I'm with you, but I will say you and I are a rare breed. People like seeing cars they recognize down to the detail in racing games, the same way they like to see real-world weapons in their first-person shooter.

Considering Burnout Paradise barely made a dime, it will be a long time before Criterion get another crack at making a big, main-line Burnout game. It's my favorite racing game of this generation too.

The cynic in me thinks making Criterion work on NFS titles, a franchise that typically sells well, is their way of making Criterion pay them back for all the free DLC they let them put out for Burnout Paradise.

Still, Hot Pursuit was awesome, and Criterion + Police Chases is a hard formula to screw up. Looks like it's time to buy a Need for Speed game again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom