• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted by Criterion [use new thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domstercool

Most Wanted was open-world...

It hasn't been that long since the original Most Wanted... it was on the 360 even!

2005, so 7 years by the time this game is out. That's the same, or a little bit more than the Resident Evil remake or Twin Snakes gap between their original games.

Avinexus

Why not Undergorund 3? If you are going to try to revive the series, should use the strongest name out there.

I've been waiting for Underground 3. I don't know why they don't at least try to make another one. U2 was the last NFS game that I liked. It had better driving physics and car customization than any NFS game that came after it.

We already have enough generic NFS games to last a life time, make something new please.

Why not Undergorund 3? If you are going to try to revive the series, should use the strongest name out there.

Because Underground brings a whole lot of associations with it in terms of setup, tone, and gameplay focus, none of which have anything to do with what Criterion is into.

This is a Criterion NFS game. It will focus on chases. Underground barely had ANY focus on police chases, it was more about blinging out your cars and a street-racing culture that barely exists anymore (see NFS: Pro Street for a better representation of what the street racing community has evolved into).

I've been waiting for Underground 3. I don't know why they don't at least try to make another one. U2 was the last NFS game that I liked. It had better driving physics and car customization than any NFS game that came after it.

We already have enough generic NFS games to last a life time, make something new please.

Best car customization? Sure. Best driving physics? No. Not even close.

Ezio

YES! I loved NFS MW when it came out and replayed through it quite a few times. Gimme dem pink slips!

saladine1

I'm telling you now, if this game doesn't have a black list or any customization, then i'm going to go all sniper from the bell tower ape shit. It better have better handling than their last effort as well..

I don't want a re-skinned Hot Pursuit!!

Avinexus

Which NFS game would you say was better? I've played every NFS game that came after Underground 2 (except Undercover) and none of them even feel close to how good U2 felt. They are all floaty messes. And if they are floaty, they add some crap drifting mechanic to get around corners (*cough* Hot Pursuit *cough*). Perhaps it was the customization that made U2 feel so good since you could make the car handle and feel how you wanted it to.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Because Underground brings a whole lot of associations with it in terms of setup, tone, and gameplay focus, none of which have anything to do with what Criterion is into.

This is a Criterion NFS game. It will focus on chases. Underground barely had ANY focus on police chases, it was more about blinging out your cars and a street-racing culture that barely exists anymore (see NFS: Pro Street for a better representation of what the street racing community has evolved into).

Midnight Club has better customization.

I will buy this because Criterion is developing but I really want Burnout Paradise 2 :(

Again, games that make no money rarely get sequels.

EA gave Criterion a looooong leash on that game too. Criterion asked to make free DLC packs over and over, in hopes that offering more and more free content would get people to pick the game up.

It didn't work.

It did, however, make people like me - who love Burnout, love Burnout Paradise, and love getting free content - absolutely ADORE the game.

Agreed. But I'm pretty sure he meant as far as NFS games are concerned, not all racing games.

Avinexus

Midnight Club may have been on par with the exterior customization, but I don't remember you being able to customize gear ratios, suspension, etc. Its been awhile since I played MC:LA though, so maybe you could do that and I just don't remember.

jayb

EA gave Criterion a looooong leash on that game too. Criterion asked to make free DLC packs over and over, in hopes that offering more and more free content would get people to pick the game up.

It didn't work.

It did, however, make people like me - who love Burnout, love Burnout Paradise, and love getting free content - absolutely ADORE the game.

wow, I didn't know that it was a low seller. Sad because it's easily one of my favorite games this generation.

shamanick

It didn't work.

But that's my point...

Mileena

Banned
MW was much better than the GAF praised Burnout Paradise so I'm expecting good things. Hot Pursuit was great but let me tune my car this time ffs

Loved Hot Pursuit, loved the old Most Wanted, will be looking to pick this up. Just don't short change the PC version with your DLC this time EA/Criterion (or don't do DLC at all, thanks).

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
60 frames - interested. 30 frames - dont give a shit.
This needs to be at 60FPS. Paradise feels so heavenly when Hot Pursuit didn't.
Feel?
Chameleon runs at 60hz.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-needforspeed-tech-interview
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-nfs-hot-pursuit-face-off

Just a quick extract for you:
Digital Foundry: It feels good. But obviously when you're playing the game you've got the display lag to factor in and all that sort of palaver. Thus far, from the games we've tested in our features, the record is 100ms for a 30Hz game.
Alex Fry: We think we might be 83ms...
Digital Foundry: Fantastic. WipEout at 60Hz is 83ms based on our tests...

So in terms of feel, Hot Pursuit feels like a 60hz game so im not sure what you are obsessing over.
In fact Hot Pursuit in terms of controller response is only one frame behind Burnout Paradise....so you re telling me that extra frame takes a game from heavenly to absolute shit?

MW was much better than the GAF praised Burnout Paradise so I'm expecting good things. Hot Pursuit was great but let me tune my car this time ffs

I love me some Most Wanted, but you're crazy if you think it's a better racing game than Burnout Paradise.

Perhaps you're looking for a 'Garage Game' with some racing on the side?

Apocryphon

Most fun I've had with racing games this gen were in Most Wanted, Hot Pursuit and Midnight Club: LA.

Is this has the same slow-mo and boost mechanics and looks as good as Hot Pursuit/The Run (ass game but absolutely gorgeous) then I'll be in heaven.

Theres a demo of the original on XBL for those that haven't played it.

Bloodrage

Banned
So in terms of feel, Hot Pursuit feels like a 60hz game so im not sure what you are obsessing over.
In fact Hot Pursuit in terms of controller response is only one frame behind Burnout Paradise....so you re telling me that extra frame takes a game from heavenly to absolute shit?
Fh3ro.gif

wow, I didn't know that it was a low seller. Sad because it's easily one of my favorite games this generation.

I can't quote specific sales numbers (remember, Paradise was one of the first games to come out digitally too, on PSN), I just know the game cost a lot more to make (especially when you factor in DLC that was given away for free) than it made back.

By comparison's sake, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit made EA a decent chunk of change, even with all the licensing fees for the real cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom