• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed |OT| Contains Spoilers

TEH-CJ

Banned
it's not just the R34. I was on this morning and my ND had 8 gears too. The numbers of gears unreal.

Its just lazy game design. And they couldn't even animated the driver in the car changing gears?

cshhlU.jpg

xrnzaaas

Have any of you guys tried time trials post patch? Are they more balanced and fair now or is the AI still granted a huge handicap?

Arttemis

My foxbody 5.0L Mustang has a 6 gear stock transmission? o_O I can only get 30mph in first gear? That's all so wrong.

The only 7 speed manuals that I know about are the Corvette Stingray and some Porches.

I can't believe they released a manual update WITHOUT A TACHOMETER, too! Bonkers gear ratios, crazy number of gears, and no tachometer. Pls fix, EA.

Also, drop the online 100%-unnecessary and useless always-online requirement.

Arttemis

Customizing my cars in the garage, get disconnected from EA servers for no reason, and I drop from rank 16 to 11...

Holy shit, EA. Fuck off with this garbage requirement.

Arttemis

Awesome pics!

I'm really trying hard to love this game because it was a gift from my girlfriend, but there are a couple huge hurdles.

The transmissions are just bizarre. My already-wrong 6-speed Mustang Foxbody turned into an alien 7-speed after I upgraded my clutch... because that somehow makes sense. All the gears are just too small, and my car red lines at 4.5k RPM - bad design!

Then there's the unforgivable online requirement. It provides no benefit, causes annoyances, and sometimes kicks you from the game and loses your progress. Disgusting. What's ironic is how the characters in the cutscenes often don't have internet access and can't show you their videos. Is that supposed to be some kind of sick joke?

Going to pick this up today.

Tokyo Extreme Racer and this game, are they alike?

BTW how big is this game GB wise on ps4?

Thanks.

I currently don't have a PS plus membership so I won't be able to play online. Will I be missing out on much?

KRaZyAmmo

Thanks.
It's not that big gb wise, but it might take some time for updates. Txr and this game is nothing alike. Although i have been using the game to recreate some of the rivals from txr series.

you only need ps+ to play with other people, otherwise you'll just need online to go in single player.

They really need to get rid of this online requirement.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully they remove the always on requirement. I'm in love with the cars, it's what pushed me over the edge. I know I'm going to spend a lot of time in the garage. ;).

KRaZyAmmo

Thanks for the info. Hopefully they remove the always on requirement. I'm in love with the cars, it's what pushed me over the edge. I know I'm going to spend a lot of time in the garage. ;).
I already put so much time just making vinyl wraps for cars. I'm still kinda urked they didn't add a basic search function for the wrap editor.

SliChillax

The transmissions are just bizarre. My already-wrong 6-speed Mustang Foxbody turned into an alien 7-speed after I upgraded my clutch... because that somehow makes sense. All the gears are just too small, and my car red lines at 4.5k RPM - bad design!

4.5 rpm redline? You sure you didn't swap a diesel engine? :p

KRaZyAmmo

The gearing throws me off so bad because their so short. Who's idea was it to give most of the cars short gear ratios. An ND Mx5 shouldn't have an 8 speed and a foxbody shouldn't have an 7 speed gearbox.

Arttemis

4.5 rpm redline? You sure you didn't swap a diesel engine? :p

I'm really wondering what's going on here. My 850hp Foxbody Mustang redlines at 4.5k with a manual transmission. A slightly tuned '65 coupe Mustang redlines at 6.5k with a manual. The stock '99 Toyota Supra redlines at about 7k with a manual.

I know from first hand experience back in high school that a manual transmission 5.0 Foxbody Mustang would get up to about 45 mph in first gear at around 7k RPM in about 2 seconds, so being redlined at 4.5k at 32 MPH is wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Ghost REALLY needs to go back and give a proper manual transmission, with tweakable gear ratios, and get rid of nonsense 7 and 8 gear transmissions (unless they're part of some Italian sports car). And then set tweakable rev limits to ECU upgrades.

SliChillax

Cant take any screenshots with Origin so took some phone pics of the graphics settings. You can also adjust the controller settings like steering deadzone, sensitivity etc so I suggest playing with that before judging the gameplay. Graphics look awesome and the game runs great but with my high end PC, it should.
dtWkHCJ.jpg

tZw06R1.jpg

gwailo

Banned

Thanks.

I currently don't have a PS plus membership so I won't be able to play online. Will I be missing out on much?

As was pointed out, it's not like TXR. I loved that game on Dreamcast. The closest I've found is Midnight Club 3 on PS3/360. I spent most of my time on that game skipping the story based races and instead randomly racing people on the freeways.

The game is around 20 GB.

Online racing is pretty dead unless you have friends playing. I've maybe done a handful of races with randoms. You will barely even see other players on the map, which makes the whole online requirement so bizarre. I would rather be able to play offline and actually have the streets populated rather than the ghost town with random dropouts it is now.

Cant take any screenshots with Origin so took some phone pics of the graphics settings. You can also adjust the controller settings like steering deadzone, sensitivity etc so I suggest playing with that before judging the gameplay. Graphics look awesome and the game runs great but with my high end PC, it should.

I'll echo that. I had it maxed at Ultra and at 2560x1440 and it was still running at 60FPS on an i7-5820k + GTX 980 Ti. I did encounter some drips while recording footage. Going to test it on my other PC when I get home from work.

Does the pc version have the option to remove the film grain and chromatic ab? I hate them,

No, but you can remove the film grain by editing the file in "\documents\Need for Speed\Settings\Profileoptions_profile" and finding "GstRender.FilmGrain 1" and changing it to 0.

SliChillax

If you set AA to FXAA or off then you'll get an insane amount of jaggies, even at 4K. TAA blurs the image a bit but there's no jaggies and everything looks smooth as butter.

Also why does the AI always start so far ahead of me? The fuck?

SliChillax

Great, have been trying to play the game for the last 15 minutes but it's not connecting to the EA servers. This is amazing, ruining their own game with idiotic requirements. What the hell are they thinking? I wanna play OFFLINE

This is ridiculous. Bought the game and require an EA account to play. So I have to register up.

Nice. Now getting errors connecting to EA servers.

It's ok now,

xrnzaaas

This is ridiculous. Bought the game and require an EA account to play. So I have to register up.

Nice. Now getting errors connecting to EA servers.

It's ok now,

First days are always messy (I assume you're playing on PC?). I bought the PS4 version like a month ago and I only got two connection errors in total.

If you set AA to FXAA or off then you'll get an insane amount of jaggies, even at 4K. TAA blurs the image a bit but there's no jaggies and everything looks smooth as butter.

Also why does the AI always start so far ahead of me? The fuck?

FXAA is definitely fine at 4K.

TAA I've never had a good experience with, regardless of game, regardless of 1080 vs 4K. It looks like total shit every time, I know FXAA is also a blur filter but at least it isn't as strong and awful.

Arttemis

A sub-200hp 2015 Mazda MX-5 red lines at 7k RPM, 37 MPH...

My 850 hp 5.0L Mustang Foxbody red lines at 4.5k RPM, 31 MPH.

How could they release this manual transmission patch in its current state!?

KRaZyAmmo

A sub-200hp 2015 Mazda MX-5 red lines at 7k RPM, 37 MPH...

My 850 hp 5.0L Mustang Foxbody red lines at 4.5k RPM, 31 MPH.

How could they release this manual transmission patch in its current state!?

Because everyone was whining and crying about not having any manual. The gear ratios are so short though. That bothers me the most.

chepu

Lol my bone stock weedwacker '99 Honda Civic has 7 speeds.

It seems to me this game suffers from having an engine that derivates from the 2010 Hot Pursuit, Frostbite did really hamper NFS games. I remember adding a mod for manual transimissions on 2010 Hot Pursuit and found out that most cars had a 7th speed.

logic goes like this: car top speed is 200MPH but with current gearing it would only get to 135MPH on 5 speeds, so instead of modifying the gear ratio it just adds Gears until it hits the set top speed. if it takes 9 gears then so be it.

What baffles me the most is why do this? is it because of 0-60 times? like some broken physics on the engine regarding acceleration/speed?

And its a damn shame, because this game has LOTS of potential. I havent played not even 10% of it and really liking it a lot.

If they manage to fix this, im sure it will be the Underground 3 (with cops, sadly) we all wanted it to be.

Arttemis

Lol my bone stock weedwacker '99 Honda Civic has 7 speeds.

It seems to me this game suffers from having an engine that derivates from the 2010 Hot Pursuit, Frostbite did really hamper NFS games. I remember adding a mod for manual transimissions on 2010 Hot Pursuit and found out that most cars had a 7th speed.

logic goes like this: car top speed is 200MPH but with current gearing it would only get to 135MPH on 5 speeds, so instead of modifying the gear ratio it just adds Gears until it hits the set top speed. if it takes 9 gears then so be it.

What baffles me the most is why do this? is it because of 0-60 times? like some broken physics on the engine regarding acceleration/speed?

And its a damn shame, because this game has LOTS of potential. I havent played not even 10% of it and really liking it a lot.

If they manage to fix this, im sure it will be the Underground 3 (with cops, sadly) we all wanted it to be.

It's looking as though they put the minimum amount of effort into creating the manual transmission mode. The game launched without manual transmissions and featured the bizarre automatics that kept shifting higher with speed, and instead of creating a logical transmission system, they just slapped a simple UI into the tachometer and gave us new button assignments to control it.

For a game with such extensive tuning options, how did they release with such bizarre transmission design?

Bonus points if the ECU upgrade let me change my rev limiter.

SliChillax

Is the PC version updated? I thought cars were supposed to be repairable through gas stations and I don't see any hot rods or drag races. Everything after the Legends update is missing.

KRaZyAmmo

Is the PC version updated? I thought cars were supposed to be repairable through gas stations and I don't see any hot rods or drag races. Everything after the Legends update is missing.

I actually have no idea. I do know Consoles and PC get the 2017 R35 GT-R (Consoles tomorrow and PC on the 30th). I don't know if it'll be updated on the 30th.

chepu

The Hot Rods + Legends and Drag races pack comes with the 2017 GTR update to PC (March 30th).

I actually have no idea. I do know Consoles and PC get the 2017 R35 GT-R (Consoles tomorrow and PC on the 30th). I don't know if it'll be updated on the 30th.

2.3GB worth of only a GTR, apparently thats the only extra that comes with the update, people havent found anything else. maybe its a cumulative patch?

KRaZyAmmo

The Hot Rods + Legends and Drag races pack comes with the 2017 GTR update to PC (March 30th).

2.3GB worth of only a GTR, apparently thats the only extra that comes with the update, people havent found anything else. maybe its a cumulative patch?

I might expect it to an proper update come next month? I've been trying to figure out how when they usually have an proper update. My guess was every 2 months. But I may be wrong.

Atlas157

Did you have a prompt saying you need an EA account to connect or something? You need an EA account connected to get connected into the EA servers.

It didn't prompt me. It just gives me an error saying I need to be connected to the EA servers to play and to check my internet connection. I'm already connected to the internet obviously so that's not the problem.

KRaZyAmmo

It didn't prompt me. It just gives me an error saying I need to be connected to the EA servers to play and to check my internet connection. I'm already connected to the internet obviously so that's not the problem.

True. What I would do is go to the test connection in the setting in the ps4 menu and then try to go back to the game. That worked for me when I couldn't connect back to EA servers.

Top Bottom