• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed PS4: The best game nobody is talking about

AmyS

Need For Speed Rivals was absolutely indeed a launch game. It was just sold out at the GameStop I got my PS4.

I'd like to know if it's for sale on PSN, and how much it is. I am damn near broke, but might be able to scrape up another $50. I hope it's 10 bucks cheaper. I could also use my $10 PSN credit.

Milchmann

Is the game more like Hot Pursuit (2010) or Most Wanted (2012)? I loved Hot Pursuit, but Most Wanted was pretty boring and the car handling was strange.

SirShandy

but what is it doing to revolutionize the racing genre? Where is that next gen gameplay? From what I've seen you just race cars on a track to get first place, racing games need to be something more.

The game actually does some pretty interesting things with it's gameplay. It takes the driving style and world aesthetic of Hot Pursuit and combines that with the open world goal structure of Most Wanted.

The most interesting aspect to me is that you can overlap goals. Each car has it's own goal set, usually including winning a head to head race, or escaping from the police. You begin these events yourself by locating them in the overworld, and once you're in the middle of one, you can also begin a different kind of event you may come across which will dynamically combine in with the current event. It's interesting because it's not strictly track based gameplay, it becomes a fun test of multitasking and taking gambles. Though you still have regular races,and time trial stuff to complete as well.

It's by far the most fun launch game I've played and it seems to be going under the radar. I got the last copy from my gamestop when I was finalizing my purchase. It seemed they had few extra copies on top of pre-orders.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I'm almost considering a ps4 so I can play it on remote play. But then I remembered I haven't yet finished Most Wanted. So I'm playing Most Wanted right now.

Damaniel

Banned
I didn't even consider picking this up before launch, but the streams I've seen make it look pretty damn sweet. I'm going to see if I can find one locally today (Amazon's sold out, unfortunately).

prophecy0

It's a shame that Amazon couldn't get this shipped out sooner. It should be here Tuesday but I want to play it nooooooooooow.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Enjoyed what I played of this so far. Plays and looks great.

Good substitute for those, like myself, who were looking forward to Driveclub.

Just an FYI but Kotaku updated their review and the game DOES NOT require an online connection to play.

Update: A previous version of this review said that there is no offline mode in Need For Speed Rivals. That was incorrect. It's a better experience with an online connection but can be played without one. We regret the error.

I preordered this at Best Buy and when I went to pick it up they didn't have a copy for me. They said that they didn't get what their full allotment was supposed to be. I'm not happy right now at all.

OSHAN

Some weird shit going on in this game which makes it appear it is dropping frames. Definitely disappointing graphically because of the frame drops. It's 30 fps--give me a break. What's with this judder? It's junk. PS4 here.

Some weird shit going on in this game which makes it appear it is dropping frames. Definitely disappointing graphically because of the frame drops. It's 30 fps--give me a break. What's with this judder? It's junk. PS4 here.

a patch is coming for this issue.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-need-for-speed-rivals-face-off-preview

Even though the gameplay code is configured to run the game at 30Hz, the present interval of the renderer is incorrectly set to 1, which means that the renderer can present a frame at any multiple of 1/60 seconds. This will be fixed in an upcoming patch.

but what is it doing to revolutionize the racing genre? Where is that next gen gameplay? From what I've seen you just race cars on a track to get first place, racing games need to be something more.

why does everygame have to be revolutionary what happened to good old fashion fun?

Oh man, this is open world? I absolutely loved Hot Pursuit (my favorite game of last gen) but hated Most Wanted. I guess i'll be skipping this game =[

Odrion

Banned
Oh man, this is open world? I absolutely loved Hot Pursuit (my favorite game of last gen) but hated Most Wanted. I guess i'll be skipping this game =[
It's more like the open world of Forza Horizon then it is Most Wanted.

Felt the same way as you about the previous games, but they nailed how an open world racer should work.

Caode

Who's the son of a bitch that created this topic?

I'm trying to save money, my launch bundle is big enough as it is, I hope you're happy that it's just got even bigger!

This game is damn good. Along with the other human racers/cops populating the game, the AI is definitely out to get you. I got demolished by some AI cops with spike strips and a chopper cruising around. They were relentless. It's similar to 2010's Hot Pursuit with a smidge of Burnout Paradise.

Not only is it an excellent launch game, but it's a damn good racing game at that.

Ryhian

Just got an email from Amazon saying 'last chance to order Need for speed rivals and receive bonus codes. Need for speed rivals releases next week'. Kind of funny!

Just got an email from Amazon saying 'last chance to order Need for speed rivals and receive bonus codes. Need for speed rivals releases next week'. Kind of funny!

I dunno WTF is going on with some of these launch titles. I wanted to pick up Killzone, Marvel Lego and Need for Speed. I see Amazon is selling all of them, but all of my local Target's and Wal-Mart's say they release on the 22nd (except Killzone, that one they have). I've never seen anything like this, with such a big discrepancy in street dates between some retailers.

DTSAirmaN

Banned
I ordered NFS at 12:02 PM on the day of the Amazon B2G1. Still no ETA. I doubt I will get my hands on it by the New Year... =(

It's more like the open world of Forza Horizon then it is Most Wanted.

Felt the same way as you about the previous games, but they nailed how an open world racer should work.

I haven't played Forza Horison - what does this mean?

I too hate open world racing games. Or rather, I don't hate them as such, I just dislike it profoundly when racing games revolve around an open world. I still enjoyed Most Wanted last year, but I'd rather something like Hot Pursuit, or the Burnout games prior to Paradise.

I'm enjoying what little I've played of this (about two hours). Will give more impressions later. For those asking, this one is apparently most closely related to HP from 2010. Definitely feels like a Criterion racer in many ways to me.

Chorazin

Grrrr, my Target had two copies of this in today and my Amazon order is still in "who the fuck knows?" status. If it wasn't the free one I would have cancelled the shit outta that.

Odrion

Banned
I haven't played Forza Horison - what does this mean?

I too hate open world racing games. Or rather, I don't hate them as such, I just dislike it profoundly when racing games revolve around an open world. I still enjoyed Most Wanted last year, but I'd rather something like Hot Pursuit, or the Burnout games prior to Paradise.
You won't be constantly staring at your minimap for the right street to drift into. It's like how Hot Pursuit is all taking place in single huge location, except it's no longer fragmented for events. It's really excellent, especially events start snowballing.

Was playing my brother's PS4 copy. Can someone explain the process in detail, about logging into Origin? We both don't have origin accounts, and it kept saying I needed to be logged into PSN first anyways. So I also might not know how to correctly "log into PSN"

OmegaDL50

why does everygame have to be revolutionary what happened to good old fashion fun?

Yes I don't understand this train of thought. What is exactly wrong with the current formula of racing games?

Why does it even need to change into something it's not. Innovation isn't a synonym for good. It just means new or different.

If I have make a choice between playing a good game that is proven to be "fun" and "enjoyable" over something just does something new just to be "new" or "different" for the sake of innovation, it's obvious what I pick.

That isn't to say all change is bad, but sometimes sticking to what works is generally proven for mild success. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Top Bottom