• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed: Rivals | OT | In Theaters March 14

Think I'm done with this game. Just don't find it fun being swarmed by cops while nothing happens to AI racers. Sick of being surrounded by cops during the stupid event start cut scenes or being wrecked by cops charging at me the second I regain control of my car after the crash cutscene.

Still pissed at losing a shitload of points during a host migration then immediately getting busted WHILE THE GAME IS STILL LOADING.

Vitor711

Any notes on what the patch will fix other than the stutter (which I honestly have not noticed)?

Really hope that saving current points duration host migration is there along with the graphical glitch fixes (those weird purple and green flashes - same thing happened with Frostbite 3 on BF4 PC before I upgraded my GPU drivers).

Damnit...just received the game for PS4 and was looking forward to it. The framerate is horrible, the framerate on Most Wanted is even way better...What a letdown.. :/
IQ also is way too sharp and yes, I have a calibrated TV-set.

Chorazin

Damnit...just received the game for PS4 and was looking forward to it. The framerate is horrible, the framerate on Most Wanted is even way better...What a letdown.. :/

30 FPS solid is "horrible"? Sure, we'd all love 60, but 30 isn't bad at all for an arcade-ish racer like this.

Which reminds me, I really need to play more of this soon! Stupid Mario being so good and taking up my time...

Any notes on what the patch will fix other than the stutter (which I honestly have not noticed)?

Really hope that saving current points duration host migration is there along with the graphical glitch fixes (those weird purple and green flashes - same thing happened with Frostbite 3 on BF4 PC before I upgraded my GPU drivers).

No patch notes yet. Just word that it's going to fix the frame pacing bug, and "other stuff".

There is a bug that sometimes causes frames to render out of order, which for some people (me and you) makes the framerate look very unstable, even though it's actually very stable. Weird I know. A patch is coming to fix it and should arrive in the next week.

I have no idea what you mean by "too sharp".

Is my internet connexion bad or is the game running on player hosting system ?

I hate being disconnected and migration host during a tight event

OSHAN

30 FPS solid is "horrible"? Sure, we'd all love 60, but 30 isn't bad at all for an arcade-ish racer like this.

As BB noted, Rivals has an odd judder effect. I don't even like playing the game because of it. Waiting for the patch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
game isn't very long either - my son finished the racer side of things pretty quickly. He's going through the different speedlists again now but it does seem to be missing races - too much wham bam thank you officer.

Which reminds me, I really need to play more of this soon! Stupid Mario being so good and taking up my time...

No way this is 30 on PS4. I exactly know what 30 is and Forza Horizon, GRID, BLUR and Split/Second were amazing at 30 fps. This is nowhere near 30

Maybe the game was not properly installed but now the framerate sucks monkerballz, or I'm to sensitive.

@ Bruiser Bear: the IQ seems just to sharp to my eyes. Can't turn it down as I'm already at zero ( Panny GT30 here )

isb

Banned
No way this is 30 on PS4. I exactly know what 30 is and Forza Horizon, GRID, BLUR and Split/Second were amazing at 30 fps. This is nowhere near 30

Maybe the game was not properly installed but now the framerate sucks monkerballz, or I'm to sensitive.

@ Bruiser Bear: the IQ seems just to sharp to my eyes. Can't turn it down as I'm already at zero ( Panny GT30 here )
You probably have the bug with frame skipping then. I have been playing this the last days on the PS4 and have had zero issues with framerates, in my eyes it's silky smooth.
With that said, im mostly a PC gamer so i'm more used to 60 frames than 30.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Ok I just got this game on ps4 the other night, it's freaking gorgeous. couple questions though.

The only other N4S I've played was hot pursuit on the ps3, which had the match style pvp. That's gone right, so if I want to actively race/wreck/chase another human player then I have to find them on the map and drive to them right? Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Also... What the heck is all drive? Sometimes it pops up like an event or something. Best I can tell it means there's another person close by? That it?

Game is badass though.

Ok I just got this game on ps4 the other night, it's freaking gorgeous. couple questions though.

The only other N4S I've played was hot pursuit on the ps3, which had the match style pvp. That's gone right, so if I want to actively race/wreck/chase another human player then I have to find them on the map and drive to them right? Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Also... What the heck is all drive? Sometimes it pops up like an event or something. Best I can tell it means there's another person close by? That it?

Game is badass though.

Yes you basically have to go find people, but if both of you line up at an event and start it, you will compete against each other.

Alldrive is just the stupid buzzword for having players in your game all the time. You get a points multiplier bonus if you drive around other players.

You probably have the bug with frame skipping then. I have been playing this the last days on the PS4 and have had zero issues with framerates, in my eyes it's silky smooth.
With that said, im mostly a PC gamer so i'm more used to 60 frames than 30.

What bug exactly? Been playing too much SM3DW, haven't been keeping up with this thread.

Ikkarus

None of my friends don't have this game on PS4, if anyone fancies bagging the two trophies which you beat a friend racing and bust them drop me a PM.

As for the game itself I'm really enjoying it, I think I have found a decent way to keep the cops in check, I basically so Shockwave and ESF.

Look above, someone already responded to you about the judder bug. The game is a rock solid 30.

Guess I'm missing something...So experiencing the 'bug' is not the same for everybody? Mmm....weird. I've been playing games all my life, never witnessed anything like this.
But the fact that a patch is coming means there more people like us ( BruiserBear ) then...

Guess I'm missing something...So experiencing the 'bug' is not the same for everybody? Mmm....weird. I've been playing games all my life, never witnessed anything like this.
But the fact that a patch is coming means there more people like us ( BruiserBear ) then...

Yes, apparently not everyone notices it. Like I said before, it's pretty weird.

A patch will arrive most likely in the next week that will fix it.

Yes, apparently not everyone notices it. Like I said before, it's pretty weird.

A patch will arrive most likely in the next week that will fix it.

Great! And weird indeed... We're special I guess :D

1329911204511.gif

Lima

Great! And weird indeed... We're special I guess :D

1329911204511.gif

While I notice this myself I wouldn't say this is something to be proud of. It is more of a curse really.

I notice all these imperfections in moving pictures etc. Sometimes I would like to be just like my girlfriend who just says the TV is fine as long as it is displays a picture.

Started the game earlier today on pS4.

There are some great ideas in place but damn if i wish i could see better my car damage level ..

Is there a way to lose heat level ? Sometimes after escaping a police chase i cannot travel more than 8 secs before the pursuit resumes even if no car was nearby.

It just suck that i complete the objectives of my setlist but get busted while i'm trying to get back to my hideout and find myself advancing the story ( career ) but with no Sp to use on upgrades.

isb

Banned
Started the game earlier today on pS4.

There are some great ideas in place but damn if i wish i could see better my car damage level ..

Is there a way to lose heat level ? Sometimes after escaping a police chase i cannot travel more than 8 secs before the pursuit resumes even if no car was nearby.

It just suck that i complete the objectives of my setlist but get busted while i'm trying to get back to my hideout and find myself advancing the story ( career ) but with no Sp to use on upgrades.
If i have understood it correctly you get a multiplier when you have a high heat level, so while you get a shitload of SP with high heat, you have the police on your ass constantly. If you don't want to risk it you need to go to a safehouse and deplete your SP.

High risk, high reward thing they have going on.

On a side note, have anyone gotten platinum? I'm thinking of doing it since none of the trophies seem really hard, any opinions?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If i have understood it correctly you get a multiplier when you have a high heat level, so while you get a shitload of SP with high heat, you have the police on your ass constantly. If you don't want to risk it you need to go to a safehouse and deplete your SP.

High risk, high reward thing they have going on.

On a side note, have anyone gotten platinum? I'm thinking of doing it since none of the trophies seem really hard, any opinions?

looks pretty doable - only one multiplayer trophy which shouldn't be too difficult. Might take a while though as some of them need you to do all the speedlists to get to racer level 60 for instance.

Fucking great. 497k SP, 10 heats, doing a damn fine job, high speed chase out of the freeway, last drift for these 3k points missing and then U turn hand brake to that hideout right here 50 meters away.

Blue screen, back to XMB, error, game crashed, please tell us what happened

EA YOU FUCKING CUNTS

Fucking great. 497k SP, 10 heats, doing a damn fine job, high speed chase out of the freeway, last drift for these 3k points missing and then U turn hand brake to that hideout right here 50 meters away.

EA YOU FUCKING CUNTS

Which version are you playing? XMB makes me think you're talking about the PS3.

Digital Foundry - Next-Gen Face-Off: Need for Speed: Rivals (plus the PC version too)

For a quick recap, both next-gen versions produce stunning 1920x1080 native images with perceptibly identical lighting, textures and geometry across the board. This remains the case for the final release here too, though the PS4 retains its stronghold in the effects category. While shadows aren't filtered to the same quality as the PC version on ultra settings, Sony's platform matches it with a refined bokeh depth-of-field effect that goes entirely missing on Xbox One - where it appears as a more simple blur filter instead.

But we can't overlook the performance issues here. While there's a readily handy fix available, it's unfortunate that 30fps play is not only a fact for the console versions, but also on PC by default. Equally disappointing is the nagging frame-pacing issue that kicks in across all releases, making motion feel uneven during sharp turns. Ghost tells us that another patch is in the pipeline to pip this, but in the here and now Need for Speed: Rivals doesn't best serve itself in delivering a fluid 30fps racing experience.

Cheers

EA YOU FUCKING CUNTS

Jeez, that really sucks.

Vodh

EA YOU FUCKING CUNTS

Uhh, that sucks. Might wanna use this, since for all intents and purposes you've already earned it legitimately:

Found a way to get SP very fast and easily, for those interested. Unfortunately, the PS4's voice recording seems to be very low, so it's hard to hear what I'm saying. I did provide instructions in the description though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmFgNtl334k

Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to snatch that quick 500k.

kudoboi

anyone else feel that the racer part of the game is very boring? i also hate how i lose my speedpoints after getting hit like 2 times

Tankshell

Is there a mod for the PC version yet to just disable the cops/pursuit and drive around without fear of being smashed to smithereens? Can't believe they left this option out completely.

It's even more annoying, as you can be cruising around enjoying the scenery and the tunes, and then as soon as a pursuit starts (ie all the time) the music drops out and you get the irritatingly repetitive pursuit music instead. Not much thought went into this game.

So this game is 6-player online all the time, right? Are there still drop in multiplayer races or do you have to race with the 6 players in your instance?

Newlove

I was on earlier and a racer turned around from half a mile away and came for me when I as a cop. He wrecked me as I was trying to scramble away. How embarrassing! The guy has balls. Loving the game though, and the Need for Speed Network has a ton of depth. Overwatch is cool but it would be nice to have the option of moving on to other random players instead of always on your friend if he/she is playing.

Vodh

Overwatch is a fucking cancer. Hate the Overwatch car being dangled in front of me like a fucking carrot when the whatever the hell it is is just so atrociously boring.

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against the app, but I don't care for it either. All I really want is to unlock all the cars. Currently level 7 in overwatch and it's a freaking chore. The fact that the icons don't load up properly and the damned thing keeps crashing my graphics drivers when I'm using it via Firefox doesn't help. But I'll admit, I've added a bunch of gaffers and I've had Banderas repair my car and refill my nitrous a bunch of times and it was fun.

Anyone knows when I can unlock the bloody car and be done with it forever?

Also, the narrative in this game is just so atrociously bad... Really, really hope they got different writers on the movie, or it's gonna be like an emo teenager brother of Fast and Furious.

On the other hand, the gameplay itself is great. I love it, I always get a blast when I'm able to run away with a big score of speedpoints and that last race in the racer's career was everything I'd hoped for. It was perfect, and even the terribad cutscene after that didn't ruin it ;)

Also, the narrative in this game is just so atrociously bad... Really, really hope they got different writers on the movie, or it's gonna be like an emo teenager brother of Fast and Furious.
Holy damn yeah the the writing and voicework is cheesy to the extreme.

I am the law, I am the lone wolf, they go beyond the law, so I will go beyond the law, and they are the wolf so I shall be the wolf in sheep's clothing, for I am the one, the one who will push the limit, because you need me to, and you want me to, because I am you...

*vroom vroom*

*quick cut to YouTube likes and chat*

*cringe*

But yeah, the actual balls to the wall driving and racing and hunts and escapes are brilliant.

Is there a mod for the PC version yet to just disable the cops/pursuit and drive around without fear of being smashed to smithereens? Can't believe they left this option out completely.

It's even more annoying, as you can be cruising around enjoying the scenery and the tunes, and then as soon as a pursuit starts (ie all the time) the music drops out and you get the irritatingly repetitive pursuit music instead. Not much thought went into this game.
The option is there. While in the garage, go to the bottom and select "Switch to Cop Career." Pursuits become manual, and you can drive around without fear of being smashed to smithereens. Since pursuits don't start, the music doesn't drop.

ZeroAKA

How do the OverWatch events work in the game? I've unlocked about 5 so far, but only one has shown up in my playlist (which I just finished).

Edit: The playlist seems to refresh every time I restart the game, so I guess that works.

Kssio_Aug

Are you gaffers really enjoying it?

All these comments saying how frustrating is to lose points against cops, makes me a little concerned. Is it a nice, and fun to play, racing game?

Are you gaffers really enjoying it?

All these comments saying how frustrating is to lose points against cops, makes me a little concerned. Is it a nice, and fun to play, racing game?
Depends upon what you mean by *nice* :)

Its fun, yeah, but if you're a racer you're going to be taking risks. Other players can wipe out your session's progress very quickly. Host migrations will do the same for both racers and cops.

Kssio_Aug

Depends upon what you mean by *nice* :)

Its fun, yeah, but if you're a racer you're going to be taking risks. Other players can wipe out your session's progress very quickly. Host migrations will do the same for both racers and cops.

But if you set for "friends only" this should not be a problem, would it?
The game looks fun to me. But all those complains about losing tons of progress because of the cops destroying you... I dont know. Is it really that disappointing? The game seems broken? (like unbalanced)

Ikkarus

But if you set for "friends only" this should not be a problem, would it?
The game looks fun to me. But all those complains about losing tons of progress because of the cops destroying you... I dont know. Is it really that disappointing? The game seems broken? (like unbalanced)
I never really had a problem with being the racer, just bank your cash after a couple of objectives and you're good. If you continue to let your wanted level climb then the cops will throw everything they have at you.

But all those complains about losing tons of progress because of the cops destroying you... I dont know. Is it really that disappointing?
Some people find those higher stakes more exciting. I know I do, but I've got to be in the mood for it.

I never really had a problem with being the racer, just bank your cash after a couple of objectives and you're good. If you continue to let your wanted level climb then the cops will throw everything they have at you.
And escaping those full tilt chases feels incredibly satisfying, and you'll bank a shitton of points for it too.

Its nearly as rewarding as shutting down those racers as a cop.

Kssio_Aug

Some people find those higher stakes more exciting. I know I do, but I've got to be in the mood for it.

And escaping those full tilt chases feels incredibly satisfying, and you'll bank a shitton of points for it too.

Its nearly as rewarding as shutting down those racers as a cop.

Im convinced then! I will take the chances! The game seems exciting and fun to play! =)
Thanks!

Top Bottom