• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need help with a weird Wii U charging problem...

Tendo

So my Wii U gamepad has had trouble charging over the last year and recently just quit on me. What is weird is the orange light would occasionally flicker depending on position and would work if plugged in. I didn't play for awhile (maybe a year?) and the battery just flat out wouldn't turn orange so I assumed it was dead. I ordered a brand new battery from nintendo and depending on pressure on the charger i can get it to turn orange and charge but not consistantly.

Do I need to clean the charger port to get a better connection? I no longer have a charging cradle so I can't charge that way. What is weird is that it will work without a battery if plugged in I just can't get it to consistantly charge. I don't want to pay 100+ to get the gamepad fixed but if there is some teardown I can do myself I will.

Any ideas?

BlakeofT

It sounds like the charging port to me. I would buy a new charge stand and try that before doing any major repairs, assuming they aren't expensive.

Mr Rivuz

Mine did something similar for weeks and only recently i noticed that the ac cable is ruined near the plug that goes into the gamepad. I have yet to buy a replacement, but i have bent the cable in a way that it turns the orange light on and fixated it with some duct tape. It seems to be working fine now LOL

Tendo

Mine did something similar for weeks and only recently i noticed that the ac cable is ruined near the plug that goes into the gamepad. I have yet to buy a replacement, but i have bent the cable in a way that it turns the orange light on and fixated it with some duct tape. It seems to be working fine now LOL

I have a newish charge cable but I've noticed it only charges if I bend the plug so the bottom goes towards the opening to the Mobo like it isn't making a good enough connection normally to tell the battery to charge

Tendo

Is there a difference in charging from the port at the top versus the charging dock?

Not sure. Don't have a dock anymore to test. Ordered a cheap one and will see how it goes. For now it only charges if I out pressure on the cable to force it against the inside. Like I push down on the charger forcing it to point up into the charge port. Only way I can get an orange light

I first noticed issues with it not charging properly when my cat knocked it off a table. Its like the internal connections for the battery to the mobo are loose. Is that even a thing that is possible?

Top Bottom