• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need mouse trap idea.

I need some help with what mouse trap to get. House been geting some small mouse issue the past few month. I used some mouse live cage

and i caught quite a few but they stop going into them. I then try this:

It work well but it is so expensive and i can only essentially caught 6. All have been used, so i try somethign cheaper:

This was completely useless as there are sign of dropping on the sticky part. I end up sending it back to amazon

I need soem advice to what to get next that would work

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
02_73a3625c-f45d-4e0c-9618-194e04b9239a_1200x1200.png

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Needs a gamepass subscription otherwise they won't have a massive selection of AAA games to play and they will leave before you can sneak in and whack them over the head with a baseball bat.

Amory

The classic wood mouse traps work best in my experience. Bait with a small dab of peanut butter or beef jerky, and make sure you wear gloves when you bait them because if the mice smell human on the bait they won't go near it

Set the triggers to be like, just barely engaged (to the point where you should be wary that theyre gonna go off as you're placing them). If you set the triggers too heavy the little bastards can pull the bait off without it snapping

Last edited:

GeekyDad

They're inhumane, but the truth of the matter is, glue traps are the most effective. They're cheap (as fuck), and do the trick fast. And work on prevention as well. Be honest about why/how they're coming in, and fix that shit.

Keihart

I remember watching a video about some guy triying several stuff and the most effective turned out to be a bucket, i cant remember de original video but you can find several instructional videos on how to make one on youtube.

Neff

After tolerating a couple of rats invading our home for months like the gullible animal lovers we are, we eventually said 'fuck it' after they got into the chocolate bag and bought one of these

4uEf9J.jpg

And some of this

VLgGeJ.jpg

Slapped a healthy amount around both entrances and on the trap itself, one rat dead that day, the other dead the next. Very cheap and effective.

hollams

Gold Member
I need some help with what mouse trap to get. House been geting some small mouse issue the past few month. I used some mouse live cage

and i caught quite a few but they stop going into them. I then try this:

It work well but it is so expensive and i can only essentially caught 6. All have been used, so i try somethign cheaper:

This was completely useless as there are sign of dropping on the sticky part. I end up sending it back to amazon

I need soem advice to what to get next that would work
I had a problem with rats in my crawlspace and went through all the traps you have used and the only thing that fixed my problem was finding out where they are coming in and plug the hole. If you don't do that then you will never stop buying traps as other rats/mice will follow the trail the others have left and it's a never ending problem.

After tolerating a couple of rats invading our home for months like the gullible animal lovers we are, we eventually said 'fuck it' after they got into the chocolate bag and bought one of these

4uEf9J.jpg

And some of this

VLgGeJ.jpg

Slapped a healthy amount around both entrances and on the trap itself, one rat dead that day, the other dead the next. Very cheap and effective.
I through about this:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Use a 5 gallon pail. Fill it up half way or a bit less with water or a think fluid (syrup works well). Have an angle stick on the side for the mouse to run up, have another stick with a string hanging from it with cheese or something. When the mouse goes for it, they fall in. You will be amazed how many mice you catch

Mistake

Poison is a bad idea if they’re going under your house or in the walls. They’ll die there and then the house will stink terribly. Stick with traps or plug holes up

Last edited:

Fbh

This right here.
If you need to catch a lot of them bucket traps are cheap and really effective. You can buy pre made ones for cheap or go even cheaper by making one yourself.

If it's just a few that you need to catch then the good ol' classic mouse trap works well too and is reusable.

This right here.
If you need to catch a lot of them bucket traps are cheap and really effective. You can buy pre made ones for cheap or go even cheaper by making one yourself.

If it's just a few that you need to catch then the good ol' classic mouse trap works well too and is reusable.
What made bucket trap so effective compare to others?

They're inhumane, but the truth of the matter is, glue traps are the most effective. They're cheap (as fuck), and do the trick fast. And work on prevention as well. Be honest about why/how they're coming in, and fix that shit.
I wish i knew where. I try 2 different gluen trap, one is pretty good the other is pretty worthless.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What made bucket trap so effective compare to others?

I'm using one right now.

My favorite aspect is you don't have to reset any traps. The little spring loaded traps are messy and you have to reset them every time you catch one.

The bucket traps are nice because you can set them and come back in a few weeks/month to a bunch of dead mice. Plus, you can eat the mice if you're hungry.

Also, turn off all the lights in your house at night. Go outside with a bright flashlight and shine it underneath and all around your home (where the mice could get in). Then have someone look for any light in the house. If you have any small holes jam them with steel wool or fix them appropriately.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Glue traps don't work. Don't try to capture them.

Death is the only option.

Neff

Glue traps don't work. Don't try to capture them.

They do work in large numbers. I work in what is essentially a grain stockpile, and while we're always vigilant against letting mice settle in, we recently had huge amounts coming in via the grain itself resulting in an infestation. Like, hundreds. The snap traps and poison we normally use wasn't keeping up so we reluctantly and temporarily moved to glue traps, which made a huge difference. It took a lot of pads and time but we were netting ten or so mice daily.

HOWEVER. It's a horrible, horrible way for an animal to die. And honestly it just made the place fucking depressing to work in, seeing them stuck to the pads all day. We'd kill any survivors in the morning but they'd obviously have to wait through the night or even through weekends starving, dehydrating, going into shock, biting off limbs to escape, or even eating each other. Yes, they do work, but they're awful and I'd try to dissuade anyone from using them.

dr_octagon

Banned
Set up a bank for the mouse, increase rent and cost of living. Keep adding unreasonable fees. Introduce hedgehogs into the area to gentrify to make sure the mouse feels isolated.

The only disadvantage is this will take 4-5 weeks, depending on whether the mouse has existing investments in cryptocurrency.

The above is not financial advice.

Trunx81

They do work in large numbers. I work in what is essentially a grain stockpile, and while we're always vigilant against letting mice settle in, we recently had huge amounts coming in via the grain itself resulting in an infestation. Like, hundreds. The snap traps and poison we normally use wasn't keeping up so we reluctantly and temporarily moved to glue traps, which made a huge difference. It took a lot of pads and time but we were netting ten or so mice daily.

HOWEVER. It's a horrible, horrible way for an animal to die. And honestly it just made the place fucking depressing to work in, seeing them stuck to the pads all day. We'd kill any survivors in the morning but they'd obviously have to wait through the night or even through weekends starving, dehydrating, going into shock, biting off limbs to escape, or even eating each other. Yes, they do work, but they're awful and I'd try to dissuade anyone from using them.
This right there. I had problems with mice back in the day while living in Amsterdam. Glue traps was the only thing that worked. Especially with Nutella. Those little suckers love Nutella. But getting rid of the only semi dead mice is still tormenting me to this day.

Marc13

Mice will always get in your home if you don't stop them from getting inside. Mouse traps are only a temporary fix. Your best bet is to remove all shrubs/plants that are really close to your home. That way, they don't have shelter and can be seen by other animals. Make sure your entire home is caulked/sealed. Mice usually enter through AC hoses that have cracks in the wall.

Mice will always get in your home if you don't stop them from getting inside. Mouse traps are only a temporary fix. Your best bet is to remove all shrubs/plants that are really close to your home. That way, they don't have shelter and can be seen by other animals. Make sure your entire home is caulked/sealed. Mice usually enter through AC hoses that have cracks in the wall.
AC hoses and enter with HVAC?

I'm using one right now.

My favorite aspect is you don't have to reset any traps. The little spring loaded traps are messy and you have to reset them every time you catch one.

The bucket traps are nice because you can set them and come back in a few weeks/month to a bunch of dead mice. Plus, you can eat the mice if you're hungry.

Also, turn off all the lights in your house at night. Go outside with a bright flashlight and shine it underneath and all around your home (where the mice could get in). Then have someone look for any light in the house. If you have any small holes jam them with steel wool or fix them appropriately.
Well, my friend give me a 5 gal bucket sinc eh own a restaurant and i ordered this:

put in some nutella, no lucl yet but will waity a few days first

We're in the country, so going to have mice. Best solution, got a cat and we use snap traps slapped with peanut butter and some chicken feed. Between the two, mice in the house have gone down.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Well, my friend give me a 5 gal bucket sinc eh own a restaurant and i ordered this:

put in some nutella, no lucl yet but will waity a few days first

Nice.

Make sure you set trap up where you think mice naturally travel (edges of rooms, underneath cabinets etc, look for poop) and then incentivize them crawling up that bucket by putting a light smear of peanutbutter/nutella up ladder so they find the motherlode up top.

Also, I've seen a YouTube video of a guy explaining how mice will eat eachother if you don't put water in the bucket to drown them. That always seemed hellish to me. Nevertheless...

Happy hunting!

Last edited:

JCK75

I keep getting them in my garage and I've given up being humane and just went scorched earth on these fuckers..
I just get normal snap traps and load them with peanut butter, and line them up together so they can't be sneaky and steal the bait which they got good at..
I took out 12 last month.

Nice.

Make sure you set trap up where you think mice naturally travel (edges of rooms, underneath cabinets etc, look for poop) and then incentivize them crawling up that bucket by putting a light smear of peanutbutter/nutella up ladder so they find the motherlode up top.

Also, I've seen a YouTube video of a guy explaining how mice will eat eachother if you don't put water in the bucket to drown them. That always seemed hellish to me. Nevertheless...

Happy hunting!
why up the ladder? Won't they just eat the one on the ladder and don;t clumb up?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
why up the ladder? Won't they just eat the one on the ladder and don;t clumb up?

I try to smear it on so lightly there's nothing really to eat, just residue from the nutella/peanutbutter.

I think you just want them investigating the whole area. I always wonder if they're 3ft-5ft away from the bucket, maybe they won't smell the important stuff up top.

But just experiment. I have no idea if leaving them a bread trail is actually that important.

Top Bottom