• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

Holy shit! Wasn't expecting this till Thursday!

Well alrighty then!

gKecEsa.jpg

Whaaaat....is it coming earlier this week for NA as well??

That's great news for them!
They deserve all the success they get and this will surely make others think of putting more classics on there as well.

The Switch can't get enough arcade classics as far as I'm concerned.

Also, you're welcome! :D

Hl69qLk.jpg

...I've had a Switch since launch day and I never realized you could change the view to a grid format.

Zakalwe

Banned
I like the look of WW7, but fighters aren't my favourite genre.

Is Metal Slug 1 the safest bet here for someone looking for an enjoyable retro experience for multiplayer?

meppi

Reminds me a lot of Mercs, which is fantastic.

If I could only buy one right now: Shock Troopers or Metal Slug 1/3?

That's a really tough choice. Personally I'd pick Shock Troopers. It has quite a lot of replay value as well with the different routes and such.

Never actually played Blazing Star. What's the consensus? What other shmups is it comparable to?

It's a great horizontal shmup. It's made by the same devs that did Pulstar(ex Irem). The R Type lineage shows through a bit in some of the ship mechanics but it's not as obvious as it was in Pulstar.

Fiendcode

I doubt it, but there's at least a chance.

The ones I really would love to see on Switch are the following:

Puzzle de Pon!, Puzzle de Pon! R and Money Idol Exchanger.
Puzzle de Pon might be even more difficult than Puzzle Bobble as Square Enix also owns the IP but Visco owns the games. Visco's still around at least though, I hope Hamster's talking to them as they have a bunch of NeoGeo games that would make good releases (Neo Drift Out, Andro Dunos, Breakers series, Neo Mr. Do, Flipshot series, Captain Tomaday).

Money Idol Exchanger would be a real killer app but I have no idea how the licensing could work there? Who exactly owns Face's stuff now?

The Hermit

As a MAS fan and a Shock Trooper newcomer, I am loving Shock Trooper. It feels less random than Metal Slug and more skill based, a fairer game

kbohs

I think they are dropping the download update earlier this week because I think it is the golden week holiday in Japan for the rest of the week.

Looking forward to Blazing Star. Love shmups and I think the Switch is the perfect platform since I can focus playing docked or play casually in handheld while watching tv/YouTube. Didn't pick up GEM or Alpha Mission 2 since they just didn't completely appeal to me for whatever reason, but I hear really good things about Blazing Star so I might grab it. Do we know if it will have online leaderboards?

meppi

^Yes, leaderboards are in.
Puzzle de Pon might be even more difficult than Puzzle Bobble as Square Enix also owns the IP but Visco owns the games. Visco's still around at least though, I hope Hamster's talking to them as they have a bunch of NeoGeo games that would make good releases (Neo Drift Out, Andro Dunos, Breakers series, Neo Mr. Do, Flipshot series, Captain Tomaday).

Money Idol Exchanger would be a real killer app but I have no idea how the licensing could work there? Who exactly owns Face's stuff now?

I didn't know the IP was split like that. :(
Andro Dunos was such a nice surprise as well when I picked it up. The guy from the store talked it down as not being that great, but I ended up loving it. Neo Drift Out as well, that one is so much fun. Haven't played the others though.

I have no idea who owns Face's IPs, but at least the game came out on the Japanese PSN store as a PSone classic. So there's hope. ;)

edit: link

Seems to be published under Athena/EXCEL

Glowsquid

It's a great horizontal shmup. It's made by the same devs that did Pulstar(ex Irem). The R Type lineage .

I feel a bit dirty "well actually-ing", but while this is a common claim, it's apparently not true: two French gamers interviewed the staff behind the original Metal SLug in 2014, and in the video they made about the near-unknown original version of the game, there's a brief aside on Pulstar where, basically, the Irem staff that worked at SNK said that not only no Irem employee went on to work at Pulstar's developer, they "took offense to the game", feeling it was a rip-off made to take advantage of Irem's death.

The actual neo geo games to have been developed by ex-Irem employees are Top Hunter and Last Resort.

I feel a bit dirty "well actually-ing", but while this is a common claim, it's apparently not true: two French gamers interviewed the staff behind the original Metal SLug in 2014, and in the video they made about the near-unknown original version of the game, there's a brief aside on Pulstar where, basically, the Irem staff that worked at SNK said that not only no Irem employee went on to work at Pulstar's developer, they "took the game very badly", feeling it was a rip-off made to take advantage of Irem's death.

The actual neo geo games to have been developed by ex-Irem employees are Top Hunter and Last Resort.

And in my view i prefer much more Last Resort to Pulstar.

I feel a bit dirty "well actually-ing", but while this is a common claim, it's apparently not true: two French gamers interviewed the staff behind the original Metal SLug in 2014, and in the video they made about the near-unknown original version of the game, there's a brief aside on Pulstar where, basically, the Irem staff that worked at SNK said that not only no Irem employee went on to work at Pulstar's developer, they "took offense to the game", feeling it was a rip-off made to take advantage of Irem's death.

Wow, interesting....I've been wrong about this for years! I had no idea about that interview but I'm going to watch it after work. I love the unknown side of gaming history that creeps up from time to time.

That being said, Blazing Star is a great game.

Fiendcode

Wow, interesting....I've been wrong about this for years! I had no idea about that interview but I'm going to watch it after work. I love the unknown side of gaming history that creeps up from time to time.

That being said, Blazing Star is a great game.
It's a common misconception based on SNK hiring ex-Irem staff for Metal Slug and Pulstar being an obvious R-Type clone. The game was actually made by a small developer called Aicom, who later changed their name to Yumekobo after SNK and Takara invested directly in them. They also made Blazing Star and Prehistoric Isle 2.

They're all fantastic, but I prefer MS1. I genuinely think MS1 is the arcade game perfected.

Of course, you can't go wrong with Shock Troopers. I'd stay away from MS3 until you've at least played MS1 though.

deadfolk

It's a great horizontal shmup. It's made by the same devs that did Pulstar(ex Irem). The R Type lineage shows through a bit in some of the ship mechanics but it's not as obvious as it was in Pulstar.

Interesting background - thanks!

I'm a bit confused with the save system on these releases, maybe someone can explain it to me.

For example with the AES or MVS versions as long you have the memory card you can save and resume your game from the stage you left off at. But that doesn't seem to be the case on these? Seems like they implemented save states instead, but I can't figure out how to resume...maybe I just missed something in the options?

edit:nvm seems like you have to select a restore point every time before you finish playing. kinda weird.

Jucksalbe

Banned
It's probably the same with all the Neo Geo games, but I just noticed this on Blazing Star (mainly, because player 2's "Press Start" was cut off on default setting).
Make sure to enable this setting:

meppi

I have this strange feeling that you like Neo Geo games, could just be me though. :p

Awesome sight, soon you'll have a full screen of them! :D

What can I say? I really love arcade games. Which is why I miss Sega so much...

Grew up in a small pub and started playing arcade cabinets at the age of 3 back in 1979.
This lasted into the early 90's.
With an upbringing like that, arcade games are pretty much part of my DNA sequence now. ;)

Is that a great game?=O

I think so, and seems like the majority here agree. Love the background artwork in the levels, and there are some really cool bosses. There is definitely some strategy to using the shot charge/break for max chain scoring etc. I'd love to hear what some of the hardcore STG fans here think of it, though.

Top Bottom