• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Did I read somewhere that they were gonna be releasing a collection of these things so I don't gotta pay 8 bucks a pop?

Umibozu

It was in a pre-direct leak for the most recent direct posted on a forum. I don't know if that's a reliable source for you.

CLEEK

Spent an evening flipping between Blazing Star (Switch) and Last Resort (PS4).

Hadn't played much of either previously. The only NeoGeo shmup I'd put any time into before was Pulstar. Blazing Star is lovely, but brutal difficulty aside, I found myself drawn far more towards Last Resort. Which should be getting a Switch release soon as it was in the same announcement as Blazing Star and Garou. I'm certainly tempted to double dip.

I've never even heard about this Garou game before, but sounds like a must play.

it is a must play. it's also one of the biggest games on neogeo afair

Personally I'm not too keen with the cartoony (almost cel shadish) art style (which is also present in other fighters ala SF Alpha) although it's amazingly well animated.

I prefer the classic neogeo "in your face" bitmap style of Art of Fighting, Fighters History/Karnov's Revenge, Breakers or even Double Dragon. Add some frantic zooming action and I'm in traditional 90s 2D heaven.

Garou:
Gx7fHdX.gif

shPc1D1.gif

VS

AoF:
mNiicDu.gif

Karnov:
ynccbEh.gif

3c4gCXS.gif

Double Dragon:
XIB8guu.gif

StayDead

Garou is incredible. I haven't brought any fighters yet since I don't have anyone to play with locally, but damn I'm buying Garou anyways.

kbohs

Worth picking up Garou if I will probably only play single player? The other person in my house I play games with is pretty casual so I can't imagine him wanting to play an arcade fighting game (Mario Kart was a big win with him though).

Might grab it regardless because I am a sucker for good 2d spritework.

I'm shocked I haven't heard of Blazing Star before, as I'd spent a lot of time in the early days of emulation trying to play as many NeoGeo games as possible. I downloaded SSIV and it's as great as I remember, although the Switch isn't the best for fighters it seems. I'm thinking of picking up this and Shock Troopers. I would probably get Metal Slug 3 as well, but I own so many iterations of it already it isn't funny.

Glad to see they're having some success with these releases.

SenkiDala

In those games, are there any graphical settings? I'm thinking about scanlines or something like that.

EDIT: Ok, google just told me that the answer is yes.

EDarkness

In terms of quality, how does Garou Mark of the Wolves compare to Neo Geo's other fighters?

Garou is awesome and probably the best Neo Geo fighting game. Though, I enjoyed The Last Blade, too. Such a badass game, and I'll be picking it up next week.

Recommendations: Fighters

The real question here is what am I cutting for Garou, because you bet your ass it is going on this list. Hmmmm.

Worth picking up Garou if I will probably only play single player? The other person in my house I play games with is pretty casual so I can't imagine him wanting to play an arcade fighting game (Mario Kart was a big win with him though).

Might grab it regardless because I am a sucker for good 2d spritework.

If you are likely only going to play one fighter, this is the one. Just keep in mind it is the arcade release so it is going to be a straight-up arcade fighter. No modes or anything fancy.

Sapiens

Cut waku 7 its too weird.
Also replace mgs1 with 3

3 is way cooler to replay.
Slug 1 is more fun to replay as it is better to challenge yourself with it. You can attempt to 1cc it without getting bored of that slog last level in 3.

Slug 1 is just a nicer looking game too.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Slug 1 is more fun to replay as it is better to challenge yourself with it. You can attempt to 1cc it without getting bored of that slog last level in 3.

Slug 1 is just a nicer looking game too.
Most people have no clue what the hell 1cc means.

I really think ms3 is the better game for casuals

Cut waku 7 its too weird.
Also replace mgs1 with 3

3 is way cooler to replay.

Waku is the obvious one, for sure. SamSho IV isn't even the best game in the series, though. It is on there by virtue of other games not being out yet.

And I am just waiting for 2 or X to drop to recommend the whole trilogy outright. I personally think the story is best experienced chronologically, if you are truly new to all this, which is why I am semi-pretending for the moment 3 doesn't exist as far as recommendations go.

Dre3001

Havent bought a switch yet but how is the Switch grip controller for fighting games?

I plan on buying a Pro controller anyways down the road but is it a must have for fighting games or is the grip suitable enough?

PtM

Banned
Havent bought a switch yet but how is the Switch grip controller for fighting games?

I plan on buying a Pro controller anyways down the road but is it a must have for fighting games or is the grip suitable enough?
The d-pad seems to bleed directional inputs too easily.
They would do well to learn and get good. This is a neo geo thread, mate.
Which is no sanctioned bubble for snobbery.

The d-pad seems to bleed directional inputs too easily.

Which is no sanctioned bubble for snobbery.

I have played on at least 5 different pro controllers and none of them had this issue.
Hell, I even tested all of them in the settings to see if any is acting wierd after reading in a gaf thread about it.

I still think some pro controller owners just had "bad luck".

I can easily execute all the specials in World Heroes Perfect etc. the Wii's pro controller gave me way more headache regarding fighter special moves.

I have played on at least 5 different pro controllers and none of them had this issue.
Hell, I even tested all of them in the settings to see if any is acting wierd after reading in a gaf thread about it.

I still think some pro controller owners just had "bad luck".

I can easily execute all the specials in World Heroes Perfect etc. the Wii's pro controller gave me way more headache regarding fighter special moves.

Same here, mine works ok even though it is still not a very good dpad.

cireza

Screen filters include scanlines.
Scanlines are far from perfect, as it was already discussed. You can't activate them without having that ugly blurry filter.

Hamster should fix this.

As well as allow binding several buttons on one controller button (A+B on L, C+D on R for example).

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
which is the best Metal Slug available on Switch?
3 biggest and craziest one.
And really open. So cool to play.
I think i bought ms3 about 6 times..
Not even telling how much cash i wasted om it xD

But you really should play 1,X and 3
X is an updated version of 2.

Top Bottom