• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

Unison

Blazing Star is one of my favorite shooters ever... The power-up/combo stream is super-satisfying and the game isn't too hard to be fun. If anyone's thinking about it, it's definitely worth the plunge.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I got some of these, Turf Masters is my favorite.

iz8P6yp.jpg

Timu

I think so, and seems like the majority here agree. Love the background artwork in the levels, and there are some really cool bosses. There is definitely some strategy to using the shot charge/break for max chain scoring etc. I'd love to hear what some of the hardcore STG fans here think of it, though.
Ok, I will check it out when I get the time to do so!

This thread has a lot of good stuff spread out so I'll try and keep it collected and update the below summary every so often for easy reference. If I missed anything let me know.

How do I setup a joycon per player?
Go out to the OS and select Controllers from the bottom menu. Select Change Grip/Order. Make sure both joycons are removed from the Switch. Turn one of them sideways and hold both tiny top buttons (SL/SR). If done correctly it should populate the first controller slot. Do the same with the second joycon, the second slot should be populated. Now they are setup as 2 seperate controllers. Go back and launch the game, you are good to go.

I'm new to Neo Geo, what do you recommend?
Recommendations: Fighters
Coming Soon(?)
  • Blazing Star (OUT!)
  • Garou: Mark of the Wolves
  • King of Fighters '99: Millenium Battle
  • Last Resort
  • Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad
  • Very likely more..
Game Guides / Tips / Info

It seems like they fixed the sound delay issues with the newer, more recent releases.

I'm only comparing SSIV & Blazing Star to Waku Waku 7 but sfx does feel like it syncs better to the onscreen action in the newer games.

Anyone else notice any differences / has opinions?

Kinda curious to what Metal Slug 1 vs Metal Slug 3 is like.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
MOTW on the Switch while communing... the dream!

But Baseball Stars 2 though.

Just downloaded Blazing Star, sooooo good. I was about to get another Japanese points card until I noticed it was already on the U.S. shop. I love how some of the Neo Geo games and certain titles like Wonder Boy haven't been confined to NOA's usual Thursday release schedule, getting great titles early in the week is a real treat.

kaydigi

Just downloaded Blazing Star, sooooo good. I was about to get another Japanese points card until I noticed it was already on the U.S. shop. I love how some of the Neo Geo games and certain titles like Wonder Boy haven't been confined to NOA's usual Thursday release schedule, getting great titles early in the week is a real treat.

Damnit, now I have to get out of bed and fire up the switch. Didn't know we were getting a release.

Just fired it up and yeah, it's amazing. Didn't expect to get impressed by its animations.

Does Blazing Star retain the opening cutscene? I was watching a longplay and it looks well done, and I heard KoF '98 had its opening cutscene cut on Switch, likely to lower the file size.

Does Blazing Star retain the opening cutscene? I was watching a longplay and it looks well done, and I heard KoF '98 had its opening cutscene cut on Switch, likely to lower the file size.

huh? The intro is visually completely intact. it misses a vocal line.
This was cut most likely due copyright issues and not because of file size.

and, yes, Blazing Star's opening is still here.

Is the Super Sidekicks series a possible game or does that have some sort of weird sports license thing?

I don't remember any official liscenses within the game(s) and the banner ads just featured generic writings (afair "SNK", "NEOGEO" etc).
I would love the series on switch.
Sidekicks 2 is my second favourite soccer game of all time (first being International Superstar Soccer Deluxe for SNES).

huh? The intro is visually completely intact. it misses a vocal line.
This was cut most likely due copyright issues and not because of file size.

and, yes, Blazing Star's opening is still here.

Maybe they re-added it back in? Because folks were reporting its absence when it came out. Huh...

Type_Raver

Coming Soon(?)
  • Blazing Star (OUT!)
  • Last Resort
  • Very likely more..

• This would be my KoF machine!
    Next up, KoF 97 please, I loved to team based stories vs Orochi in this one !

Coming Soon(?)
  • Blazing Star (OUT!)
  • Last Resort
  • Very likely more..
I'm fairly certain Galaxy Fight is coming after KOF '99, and Sengoku is coming after Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad or Last Resort. After that, the release schedule will probably have some of the older games the PS4 and XB1 have already or are getting. Stuff like KOF '95, Art Of Fighting, World Heroes, Fatal Fury 2, Sengoku 2 and Samurai Shodown. There's probably a couple of curve balls or newer choices thrown in the mix for Switch.

I'm going to guess Last Blade 2 is going to be in the next batch.

Windjammers won't come out until after the PS4 HD version. Probably next decade.

Any word on King of Monsters? That's always the game I remember from when I was a kid reading articles about the fabled Neo Geo in magazines. I have no idea if it's actually any good but I really want it.

Did my first complete playthrough of Blazin Star yesterday. I don't really care how many continues it took to finish that game is just a beautiful joy to play. Great music and some phenomenal visuals. I loved it. I have played it in bits before but glad I finally got to sit down and play through the entire thing.

Neo Geo on Switch keeps on winning.

Did my first complete playthrough of Blazin Star yesterday. I don't really care how many continues it took to finish that game is just a beautiful joy to play. Great music and some phenomenal visuals. I loved it. I have played it in bits before but glad I finally got to sit down and play through the entire thing.

Neo Geo on Switch keeps on winning.

Nice, looking forward to buying it on Thursday!

Fiendcode

Is the Super Sidekicks series a possible game or does that have some sort of weird sports license thing?
None of the four SS games carry any official licenses whatsoever iirc. Some of them were released previously too on Virtual Console, Neo Geo Station and in SNK Arcade Classics Vol 1.

Felensis

Banned
So now Garou: Mark of the Wolves is listed on the EU eShop, but the page's subtitle currently has been c&p from the Metal Slug site and the description speaks of Fatal Fury 2 I suppose? lol wtf

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Blazing Star and Garou within a week of each other? So, so happy.

meppi

When they start creating themes for the Switch, it needs to have an AES, MVS and NeoGeo Pocket theme now on top of the great Sega ones that we got on 3DS. :)

Jucksalbe

Banned
So now Garou: Mark of the Wolves is listed on the EU eShop, but the page's subtitle currently has been c&p from the Metal Slug site and the description speaks of Fatal Fury 2 I suppose? lol wtf

Nothing new for the Arcade Archives series, I guess. On (EU) PSN they still have the wrong videos and screenshots for some of the games they released a year or so ago.

I recall reading that they patched them, but someone yesterday criticized the emulation and thought that there were still problems

Oh yeah? I have a CMVS and personally I don't notice any issues with these releases. Maybe with a side by side comparison it would be more obvious, but certainly nothing noticeable or game breaking. I know there's things like missing vocals in the KOF98 intro for example, but that's pretty easy to ignore

Peltz

Oh yeah? I have a CMVS and personally I don't notice any issues with these releases. Maybe with a side by side comparison it would be more obvious, but certainly nothing noticeable or game breaking. I know there's things like missing vocals in the KOF98 intro for example, but that's pretty easy to ignore

Isn't there a sound delay in the games? People reported that the sound was a few frames behind.

Top Bottom