• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF 2012 Anime of the Year Voting Thread (voting ends January 29)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Now I have watched more than ten shows this year and I was really tempted to do a few honourable mentions but I feel that would invalidate the difficulty in only choosing ten shows. The fact that if they're not on my top ten then they don't get mentioned at all really makes my keep my list to the best of the best.

wingz

1. Kuroko's Basketball

2. Hyouka

3. Tsuritama

4. Space Brothers

5. Kids on the Slope

5. Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!

6. Ano Natsu De Matteru

7. Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos

8. Fate Zero S2

9. Psycho-Pass

10. My Little Monster

Most disappointing (Started with potenitial, ended in total crap) - Sword Art Online

Will come back and edit explanations and final placings.

1. Phi Brain Puzzle of God
tumblr_ma1r3ikZpg1r3tnvto1_500.jpg

Phi Brain was a refreshing take on the genre this year. Somehow through its visuals, action, and music it managed to consistently top each previous episode, a mighty task considering it spanned 50 episodes and is even getting a third season just next year. The plot offered a rather refreshing and friendship themed focused take on its serious "world-saving" idea. It balanced the serious tone with good comedy, excellent cast chemistry, and just an overall cool main character and antagonists. Daimon Kaito remains one of my favorite main characters of all time. Really this anime was just pure plain fun and wholly memorable. Truly the best of 2012.

2. Guilty Crown
tumblr_lt601qxUwP1r0478zo6_250.gif
tumblr_lt601qxUwP1r0478zo7_250.gif
tumblr_lt601qxUwP1r0478zo8_250.gif

If there was one phrase to describe Guilty Crown it would be: A flurry of explosions, stylish void accents, and colors, and excellent music.. Lots of praise for its visuals, friendship and bonds, action and intensity, and the experience in sound and drama was unlike any other anime that Ive seen before. I liked how focused it was for its episode count that surprisingly didnt even leave me begging for more. Character designs were great and most were memorable. Intriguing and unique series that Im glad to have watched and am dying to experience it all again for the third time dubbed, hopefully in english.

3. Blast of Tempest
tumblr_mbqv3acnQf1qfsc01o3_500.jpg

Although only 12 episodes have aired it has so far positioned itself far above and beyond the quality of many of the other numerous anime that have came out this year. Im usually first focuse don visuals and it exceeds in numerous regards on that. Next the characters and plot are pretty good. Mahiro and Yoshino make up a good team and the supporting cast around them are definitely great too. There is something special about this whole product that can make even just a conversation that spans three episodes featuring limited movement still remain wholly interesting. Perhaps it is a testament to the writer behind the source, my favorite non bl manga writer, in fact, that makes me like it so much. Regardless, definite top three and one anime I will definitely add to my blu ray collection eventually.

4. Accel World
tumblr_m54irhMeMm1qesvxbo1_500.gif

This has a special place in my heart, its just one of the most interesting anime of 2012 and with its mech inspired futuristic vrmmorpg setting mixed with excellent school setting antics, it basically packed quite a bit of what I like in anime. The music behind the production is quite excellent two with tracks from mintjam and onoken and excellent vocal themes. Numerous moments are just plain good in it and perhaps it is the best looking anime for action this year. Just look. And. Beyond visuals the cast also interact well, sure the main character is a bit plump, but Taku (megane) is a good partner to have on board and other members in nega-nebulous also round them out well. Best thing in this was the incarnation system, best battle and game engine around.

5. K
tumblr_mctwj7pK2e1rao0vlo1_500.gif

K shocking only had one fault and that is that it was just way too short. Fortunately this was resolved end of season with a second season announcement. It was difficult ranking it as it is so good and almost nearly as good as the previous four. K had such a large and extensive cast that I was initially afraid that it would become some weird cluster type anime at the start and unfortunately be a bad one but I was plain surprised from episode 1 all the way through to episode 13. It was an emotional joyride of comedy, sadness, affection between numerous members of the cast, to tears and joy. It was a wild ride and had so many good action scenes through the kings abilities as well as just dialogue that felt so charming between the characters. They didn't want to be enemies but due to the worlds events and an antagonist it just had to be. It was a blast and one that will be unforgettable to me.

6. Tsuritama
tumblr_m63872UpdB1r1geyyo1_250.jpg

A perfect lead cast for the drama genre led to much interesting moments and interactions for the plot basis of fishing. It may not have been as good as This Boy Can Fight Aliens which seemed to share some common themes (friendship and bonds and aliens), however all four lead characters were interesting and showed actually good character development over the course of the anime. Visually fresh, very hilarious and touching, and even interesting enough to make fishing seem rather enthralling and fun, loved this series extensively and it has an awesome fandom.

7. Kuroko's Basketball
kuroko_no_basket__episodio_10__by_asahi88-d56axro.gif

The anime is such a good take on Basketball that when watching the NBA had me wishing it could be just as good or even have characters that are as good. Although there were a few minor things about the anime that keep it from being on the top (inconclusive end in a "training arc" for the main characters), I did find that most of the cast was actually quite interesting and worthwhile. Most actually did get screentime and development and not feel totally worthless in a cast full of superstar Generation of Miracle Players. The music was fitting for their epic skills and Kise reigned supreme as my favorite, Takao and Kuroko second and third respectively. The drama was high and found myself so into it that I consistently thought the episodes were just too short not realizing how much time went by. Personally I also loved how they did the end credit images too, such great material. Full hype for s2.

8. Eureka Seven Ao
tumblr_mds7l4BCSd1qemk2io1_r1_500.jpg

A huge improvement over Eureka Seven focusing on the important aspects of delivering a good story, character development, and good mechs while abandoning pointless romance and random filler type activiting., Ao was actually quite good even if its story tethered on the edge of needing to have multiple rewatches and a bit of discussion to understand its plot and the various implications regarding characters and their motives. I loved it week after week, especially, Ao, and Truth and even a few others. The visuals were excellent and the soundtrack one of the best of the year even.

9. Hunter x Hunter 2011
tumblr_mdb7eaIHlI1rs84cuo1_500.png

Although its 2011, Hunter x Hunter was a fresh take on the shonen action adventure genre with its focused cast of cool characters, Killua and Gon, who swiftly rose quite high on my list of favorite characters. It easily has an unpredictable plot that never loses its freshness and it also looks and sounds quite good. Also give it to this and Toriko for having the best sound among the other longer shonen adaptations. Greed Island had a great introduction while Heaven's Arena and even the Yorknew events became quite memorable events.

10. Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate
tumblr_m8wczj4ROg1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_m6xypcWTP41qjyb43o2_500.png

KoiChoco was litrally the surprise of the year. I don't even remember why I picked it up to watch but it was so worth it and rewarding. Just the whole yaoi stick thing and yume never got old but beyond that the plot and drama was actually really good and believable. I really felt like getting behind oojima, cheering him and the food club on, as they faced to rise in the elections against the various other groups at the school. It was quite good and I was so glad it was licensed. Really really up there for best school anime this year.

HM: Kono Danshi, Uchuujin to Tatakaemasu (This Boy Can Fight Aliens) would have ranked it but it came out in 2011, but didnt release here in the US until 2012. But it was so good for what it offered mixing boys love theme with the drama and alien action type setting for a really memorable and emotional experience with good visuals, also must commend it for Robotica Robotics, a short included with it that has the boys love and slice of life/drama type setting exploring the meaning of love for robots in their "family" with the man who picked them up off the street from their creator, really emotional and memorable too.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
1. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
2. Kids on the Slope
3. Girls und Panzer

Backlog year for me. I didn't watch a whole lot of 2012 anime, but I liked those the best. The other shows that I watched, Sword Art Online, Accel World, Fate/Zero, and Chuunibyou, I'm reluctant to place, because I felt so indifferent about them. I also dropped about 6 other shows.

1. Hyouka - This was easily the best and most visually impressive show of the year, as it excelled with nearly every aspect, particularly it's incredible conclusion, meticulously constructed narrative, and the small touches of romance that were filtered into the latter half of the show. Though the mysteries were occasionally of the mundane variety, they certainly weren’t close to being the focus of the show, as the complex characters and the nuanced characterization that defined them immensely elevated the few episodes that contained a mystery that was less than intriguing. It was, above all, nearly absent of any particularly noticeable flaw.

2. Hotarubi no Mori e - One of the best romance films I've seen, as it wove a plethora of poignant emotions into an exceptionally beautiful tale.

3. Fate/Zero 2nd Season - The narrative was excellent throughout this season, as it was riddled with a plethora of haunting twists and a particularly morose melancholy that accentuated the inevitably nihilistic nature of their world. The action was also of a higher quality during the second season. The constant shifts in perspective throughout the story were really effective. Kiritsugo was a fantastic and impressively complex character. Really top-notch all around.

4. From the New World - Although it faltered for several episodes, this has been a wonderfully atmospheric and deeply nihilistic story; one that rarely loses it’s focus, consistently illustrating a very expertly written and tightly structured narrative. As such, one of it’s most impressive elements is it’s ability to slowly peel away the shadows that surround the decayed society that the characters inhabit. This is definitely the most compelling story of the year.

5. Ano Natsu de Matteru - This was a consistently great romantic comedy, complete with one of the most satisfying conclusions of the year. The story, and, in turn, the romance, was exceptionally well-told, as it rarely lingered on tedious complications or needlessly frustrating developments. The execution, all in all, was exemplary.

6. Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita -This is the best comedy of the year, by far, as it was suffused with a wonderfully cynical satire that worked immensely well. The whimsical atmosphere really complemented the tone of the story. Watashi was one of the best characters of the year and the fairies were hilarious.

7. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - The poor production values and the occasional tendency for a usage of some unnecessarily garish colors detract from the show a bit, but this has been a really good and excellently unique show throughout, especially what's been shown of the second half.

8. Sakamichi no Apollon - The conclusion wasn't quite as satisfying as I would have hoped, nor was it as impressive as Watanabe's earlier works as a whole, but the characters were great, save for Seiji, and the dramatic elements were consistently effective. Not to mention, the music, for the most part, was amazing.

9. Tasogare Otome X Amnesia - This was definitely the surprise of the year, as each episode, save for the unnecessary first, continuously developed an abundance of emotional subtleties within the story in a manner that allowed the last several episodes to be superbly effective and unexpectedly emotional.

10. Kokoro Connect - The narrative was occasionally flawed and the developments were partially contrived at times, but the story, as a whole, was surprisingly ambitious. Each episode, for the most part, was skillfully balanced between the dramatic elements and the comedic ones, rarely dragging on stagnant emotions or tedious developments. Inaba was a really great character and one of the best of the year, as she was made even better by Miyuki Sawashiro’s brilliant voice acting.

This was a very difficult list to create, since many of my honorable mentions, particularly the first five, could easily be included in the top ten.

Honorable Mentions:

11. Tsuritama - The cast of characters were thoroughly enjoyable. Although I wasn’t incredibly fond of the setting, the colorful, wonderfully vibrant aesthetic really complemented the lively atmosphere. The first several episodes were quite dull, but the latter half was fantastic, especially the final episode.

12. Natsuyuki Rendezvous - Although quite good, this was also, along with Tonari, one of the most disappointingly inconsistent shows of the year, as each possessed a fantastic first half, only for that brilliance to then be significantly diminished by a thoroughly flawed second half. In Natsuyuki Rendezvous' case, the narrative was highly compelling through episode 5, but, following a particularly inane twist, a separate dynamic than what was initially promised was focused on entirely too often, as the story unnecessarily isolated and almost comprehensively extinguished the chance for development within the supposedly central aspect of the story. However, despite these criticisms, it often portrayed a beautifully naturalistic maturity that is quite rare.

13. Space Brothers - Though it’s story is very simplistic in nature, it’s really beautifully illustrated, despite the occasional tendency for a mediocre episode to slip into the fold. Mutta is one the most endearing and likable characters I’ve encountered in anime.

14. Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! - The final episode wasn’t as satisfying as I was expecting, since this would otherwise have landed in my top 10, but the romantic elements were very well-developed, and, though I preferred the humor that was woven in, the story was filled with dramatic complexities that mostly heightened the effectiveness of the story.

15. Jormungand - Though I really enjoyed the first season, the second was a surprisingly effective improvement over it, as it possessed a string of episodes that were comprehensively terrific. The production values weren't particularly impressive throughout the entire show, but the engaging characters and the unexpectedly complex and intriguing story more than made up for it.

16. Kamisama Hajimemashita

17. Joshiraku

18. Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun - This was a fairly impressive shoujo, but the narrative was detrimentally flawed throughout the latter half; to the point where it essentially lost it's focus far too often towards the end, providing dull and repetitious insight into several worthless secondary characters, while disappointingly offering little in the way of satisfying resolution for many of the significant developments that had occured earlier in the story. As such, if it simply had a more cohesive and less predictably conventional second half, then it would have likely landed near the top of my list.

19. Another - Though it became predictably amusing and much too needlessly theatrical, rather than chillingly melancholic, throughout the latter half, this was still one of the most effective horror titles in recent memory., due largely to the subdued manner with which the early developments unraveled, gradually painting a dreadfully significant picture that was superbly disturbing. The dynamic between the two leads was consistently compelling to watch unfold.

20. Code:Breaker - This was one of the most consistent shows of the year, and, though the material wasn't always great, the latter half of the show became increasingly excellent as it progressed, culminating with a very strong conclusion.

21. Nazo no Kanojo X - This was a very underrated, enjoyable quirky show, and the relationship was really well-developed throughout.

22. Sukitte Ii na yo - This is certainly a typical shoujo through and through, but the minimalistic manner with which it was directed really elevated the the occasionally tedious material.

23. Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon II - Though quite convoluted at times, it’s also considerably entertaining.

24. Acchi Kocchi - Highly enjoyable fluff.

25. Sankarea - Following the amazingly well-directed and very promising initial three episodes, the remainder of the story was quite disappointing.

26. Yuru Yuri - The premise provided a consistently pleasant comedy. The large cast of characters and their antics were very enjoyable, save for the horrible Chinatsu.

I decided to refrain from including several incomplete shows, such as Psycho-Pass, Sakurasou, or Zetsuen, since, aside from being behind on all three, their latter halves and conclusions will ultimately provide a necessarily complete perception of the whole. Girls und Panzer would also have been very high on my list, but I haven't yet seen nearly enough episodes in order to properly judge it's quality.

All in all, this has been a very strong year, but it never consistently reached the heights of 2011.

2. Kuroko no Basket- This was my most requested sequel from the shows I watched this year. It only gets better.
7. The Knight in the Area- A decent story and I really like sports anime

Id have Kuroko higher if it ended at a different moment or something. Regardless probably will be on my 2013 list since it would most likely start off well and even end well assuming its coming by end of this year.

Knight in the Area too, was so prepared for it to be like 50+ episodes then just cut off so suddenly.

Neo C.

1) Binbougami ga!; it's like Gintama with more tits and fast-paced, absurd anime inside gags.
2) Kuroko no Basuke; when bishounen go bankai during a basketball game.
3) Chihayafuru; shoujo anime done right, genki tomboy goes nerd.
4) Gintama'; Still the best comedy, but already well-known.
5) One Piece; it's quite hard to find some Shirahoshi x Luffy stuff.
6) Nisemonogatari; the toothbrush episode is good.
7) To Love-Ru: Darkness; best harem girls.
8) Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki; maru.
9) Rinne no Lagrange; maru.
10) Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!; guilty pleasure.

Upotte!! and Smile Precure! are pretty close to the top ten.

Code:
1)  K-On! Movie
2)  Sword Art Online; it cuts me deep to do this to you SAO ;_;
4)  Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb
9)  Hyouka
10) Kokoro Connect

Honorable Mentions
  • Space Brothers
  • Sukitte Ii na yo.
  • High School DxD
  • Bakuman. 2
  • Nisemonogatari
  • Mysterious Girlfriend X
  • Sankarea
  • Black Rock Shooter
  • Chihayafuru
  • Inu x Boku SS
  • Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You

Andrew J.

1. Tsuritama. Just a perfect little series, with well-executed humor, drama, character dynamics, and escalating tension. Its colorful palette makes it the best-looking anime of the year.
2. Fate/Zero. Engaging character development, emotionally affecting plot twists, and fluidly-animated duels made this show great already. It's almost unfair that is also has a sequence with a knight riding a jet fighter.
3. Hyouka. Proof that the mundane can be made interesting, even fascinating. Slow-burning but significant character development, tightly-written plots, and lavishly beautiful visuals meant that I anticipated episode premiers of this show more than any other.
4. Binbougami-ga! Because I fucking love reference comedy. And caliginous yuri.
5. K-On! Movie. It's K-On! Supercute comedy, heartwarming friendship, wistful mono no aware...and there's some okay music too, I guess. Travelogue setting was neat, especially since I studied abroad in London a couple years ago.
6. Bodacious Space Pirates. Cute girls doing cute things? Pfft. Give me cute girls doing awesome things instead. Throw in a balanced mix of comedy and dramatic tension, pretty good spaceship battles, my favorite ED of all time, maybe a lesbian couple, you've got yourself a winner.
7. Girls und Panzer. It's like Bodacious Space Pirates, but doesn't look quite as good. Still enough to rise above the rest!
8. Rinne no Lagrange. Colorful robot battles, slice of life comedy, and cute polyamorous yuri. What more could I ask for?
9. Smile Precure. The funniest Precure ever, even if it is a bit lacking in the action department.
10. Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. Its OP and ED are among my favorites this year. The story was touching, even when dealing with the "Magical girl falls for some bland schlub" romance that I typically dislike. Yuuko, whether she's being mysterious, adorable, frightening, sexy, or just plain goofy, is always interesting.

wingz

Id have Kuroko higher if it ended at a different moment or something. Regardless probably will be on my 2013 list since it would most likely start off well and even end well assuming its coming by end of this year.

For me, personally, I thought Kuroko's Basketball ended in the perfect moment, which is really before the start of the next major arc. It ended the first season on a high note, with one of the best animated episodes and basically hypes everyone up for the Winter Cup.

Azure J

Looks like this year for me was the year of the adaptation so far. I'll probably steam roll though some other backlog anime or pick one or two at random and see how it goes, but for the most part, here's what's upw with me so far. Reserved and to be updated ASAP:

1.) JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - A brisk paced manliness-a-thon with the most fantastically creative source material, characters the revel in their over the top presentation and general mannerisms, and the best 2 OPs/grooviest ED I've heard all year. So much fun, especially for someone who pretty much picked it up at random from its rave reviews as a manga.

2.) Tasogare Otome x Amnesia - Some unexpectedly sound to great production values and a team that managed to take material without a conclusion at current and do it justice as a whole managed to make this adaptation one of my most pleasant to follow along with this year.

3.) Medaka Box Abnormal - Following the manga, I knew what to expect and while the anime itself didn't disappoint in it's adaptation, it definitely left me feeling a slight hint of "that's it?" That is of course until Kumagawa Box/Episode -12/Good Loser Kumagawa when everything that had been established previously got shot put hurled out of a window into the sun. That one episode justified the entire premise of the show being animated and also showed that the animation/writing team was being held back by the actual plot material that wasn't about Kumagawa (and to a lesser extent, Ajimu/Anshin'in). I can only hope that Medaka Box Minus happens and is much more of that final episode than anything else. (To be exact, this anime is probably going to make the bottom end of the top 10 for me just based on this one episode.)

『"Oh, I forgot about black!"』

4.) Magi - This is another adaptation with some rocky points and certain nuances left in its manga source material, but it still manages to be entertaining to watch. Some gorgeous effects animation, background frames, and decent hints at highly competent combat animation (Mor vs. tigers out of nowhere) manage to sneak this one onto my list.

5.) Black Rock Shooter - Gotta admit, wasn't expecting this to ever be anything I'd watch after getting baited by the animation of the world of the titular character and expecting a high action stylish romp across a vast empty world. Went through the series just because of the desire to see more of that and overall enjoyed what I saw while also having some fun poking at the "drama" played up in the school girl life of Mato and friends.

Yeah, I really haven't seen much this year.

I could change this (and I'll definitely come back and add in some comments), but here's my list for now:

1. Fate/Zero: It's a great treat to have a show which is both visually incredible and has a wonderful story which really sucks you into it at every turn. Fate/Zero's characters are not good people, but watching their exploits is quite amazing. I love the work done with many characters, particularly with Kirei, who rapidly became one of my favorite anime characters. The show just managed to keep upping the stakes, and when we got to
Kariya choking Aoi
I was completely hooked for life.
2. Chihayafuru
3. Mysterious Girlfriend X
4. From the New World
5. Kids on the Slope
6. Tsuritama
7. Space Brothers
8. Natsuyuki Rendezvous
9. Hyouka
10. My Little Monster

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
4. Say "I love you" ; I wasn't really expecting much, it's not a genre I'm particularly interested in and I only started watching because it was so high on CrunchyRoll's page.
Although going by the anime above it, I probably shouldn't use that as an indicator of quality.
But it surprised me. It's got a lot of interesting and fun characters and watching Mei and Yamato's relationship develop through various trials was interesting, if a little contrived. Aside from the dud final episode which felt severely out of place and left the show without much of a conclusion, it was an enjoyable experience.
Do yourself a massive favour and read the manga instead. It's way better than the anime, and the relationship development feels more natural. The final episode feels out of place because I guess they thought it'd run longer than one season? Lots of things progressed very fast and they left out some events that would have made character development more meaningful. Of course, this is standard book -> movie/anime adaptation stuff...

Oh yeah, I dropped Psycho-Pass and Hyouka because I got busy. I should probably catch up.

DiGiKerot

It looks like I am really going to have to check out Hotarubi no Mori e at some point.

True Story - I actually managed to get Jonathan Clements to say "Mono no Aware" in reference to this movie. Pretty sure that's just because I mentioned the child-abuse related comedy in the same sentence, though.

Top 10;
1. Dusk Maiden of Amnesia - gets the top spot because Yuuko. Amazing blend of cute, sexy, humor and plot, this anime was a breath of fresh air for me.
2. Space Brothers - Very inspiring in a positive way. Most anime that AnimeGAF recommend inspire one to drink.
3. Chuunibyou - Reality be rent ~ Synapse break ~ Banishment this episode 11 and it'd have been perfect.
4. Hyouka - Second best KyoAni show last year. Deal with it.
5. Oda Nobuna no Yabou - I like this a lot and am dismayed many others don't. It's funny, educational and has a pretty sweet romance. Also cute. What's wrong with you people?
6. Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun - Started really strong, got a bit slowjou'ish towards the end, but still good.
7. Chihayafuru - Fun stuff, definitely left me wanting more.
8. Ok so there isn't a top 10.

Dresden

1. Hyouka

It was good.

2. Fate/Zero

3. From the New World

4. Joshiraku

A rather inscrutable beginning, seemingly impenetrable behind its wall of Japanese puns and jokes. Gets random-er as the episodes progress; nudity, violence, and insanity rules the day. Yet another show directed by Tsutomu Mizushima.

5. Girls und Panzer

Recency bias? Still, powerfully peppy sports-shonen about girls who blow stuff up in tanks. Odd, potentially exploitative premise executed well by a solid director.

6. Code Breaker

Clear proof that this award needed to happen later. Still, its approach to dealing with mediocre source material - and the way it manages to make those events genuinely interesting later - was good stuff. Nicely scripted, with good action and effects from the director of FMA: Brotherhood.

Kettch

Man, this was one poor year for anime. Especially coming off last year's Madoka and Usagi Drop. I've got 13 shows that I enjoyed, so this won't actually be very hard, but none are anywhere near my all-time top 10. Will wait until after watching Nekomonogatari to rank them.

Pooya

1) Fate/Zero 2nd Season ;
The interesting universe of Fate with it's mix of modern world, magic and history coupled with a competent writer in hands of a passionate talented studio resulted in Fate/Zero, finally something from Type Moon can be considered quality, they always had interesting universes but everything else sucked bad one way or another. Fate/Zero captures what's best about Fate universe and fixed all the other crap featuring one of the strongest and largest cast of characters each with their own problems and flaws. The mostly stunning animation and great digital effects (yeah, yeah CG cars etc) it's a must watch for anybody regardless of familiarity with Fate universe. Kajiura soundtrack is really great too and makes some of scenes feel really effective.

2) Hyouka ;
What starts as a seemingly boring high school show and a really boring club activity solving the most irrelevant 'mysteries' becomes slowly personal and builds a really strong relationship between the main characters and their time together. The mysteries and the cast solving them wasn't the point in the end, it was everything else that makes it really enjoyable. Oreki is one of the better protagonists in recent years and it really helps to get through some of the boring mysteries. Last but not least, Hyouka is easily the most stunning anime of year and a joy to your eyes.

3) Tsuritama ;
It's a really well made, feel good show with great characters and development, maybe I can't write about it as much as others right now, I don't know what else I could say really, easily recommended.

4) From The New World ;
Post apocalyptic sci fi somewhat horror is how I'd describe it, it can be very atmospheric at times and it's best when it's doing that. Visuals can be rough in some episodes, there is an arc early on which is really really bad but the mysteries of this world and the characters' desire to discover more makes the viewer interested to know what's really happened to the world. The story seems really strong so far, I can't wait to see how it all ends. Most intriguing.

5) JoJo's Bizarre Adventure ;
It's JoJo. Anime might not look the best but it has good direction and the source material is really good, makes for an enjoyable watch.

6) The Pet Girl of Sakurasou ;
This doesn't seem to be very popular, I think it's a pretty good comedy with very likeable cast, the story isn't good, but it's really enjoyable watching these characters together and their everyday dorm life, it's a feel good show. Also looks quite nice mostly.

7) Zetsuen no Tempest ;
I really like modern times+magic and this is one of the better ones, great action animation, great voice acting, great soundtrack and mostly good characters. Starts really strong but unfortunately it becomes a horrible mess with inane dialog in last few episodes, I still like it the good episodes enough for it to be on this list, It's been said the rest of the show is actually worse, I don't know, I'll find out for myself. Hamlet quotes are nice to have...

8) Nekomonogatari Black ;
This could somewhat remind why I really liked Bakemonogatari after the dreadful completely horrible Nisemonogatari, still monogatari is best when it's about good dialog and the interesting characters, with sisters getting the screen time that's not happening. Looking forward to future with Kizu and rest of story, I think it should be a lot better, specially Kizu movie.

9) Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun ;
A high school romance story pretty much with colorful characters, really good pacing at first, things happen really fast, it might become somewhat repetitive in the middle and you might care or might not care how it ends, I think it wasn't as effective as it could have been, still a good watch and really good looking art style.

--------------------------------------------
<Pending> Girls und Panzer ; I'm trying to catch up on this at the moment, it might make the list before the deadline.

same for Robotics;Notes but it's not really good so far, so don't think so about that.

Mature

Hmmm, I feel inclined to marathon some shows before finalizing this...
W.I.P

1. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
It's been awhile since I've watched an anime and thought "Maybe my less anime inclined friends will enjoy this too...". I have watched each episode of JoJo maybe two or three times, each with a different person. All of them reacting extremely positively-- myself included despite it being a second or third rewatch. There's something so naturally right about the pairing of David Production and JoJo. Even with the occasional budget related art inconsistency, it's really hard to care too much. What's happening on screen is simply too insane. I really enjoy the direction the show is going and I love just how different the pacing and composition is from a traditional shonen anime. I don't want to disservice the show itself by wrapping it up by simply calling it "manly" or "crazy". It's a lot of fun and super easy to recommend.

Also, it has two of my favorite OPs in recent memory.

2. From the New World
Feels odd having From the New World on my list when it's only halfway through it's broadcast. JoJo's a bit different since it's separated into 'parts' and there's already been a lot of conclusiveness by which to adequately gauge the series . That being said, from what I've seen, through it's story telling, art and atmosphere, it's easy to say that FTNW is a stand-out series of 2012. It seems like it's too few and far between that we get an anime that has a large overlying mystery that is unraveled in a twisting and intriguing narrative. The characters feel real and their emotions raw. Each episode manages to keep you on the edge of your seat, and each episode end has you desperately wanting more. Really hoping this one doesn't fly under the radar.

Also, best ED of 2012 winner.

3. Kids on the Slope
Shinichiro Watanabe's triumphant return to directing is a bit different, but different is good. Touching, pleasant, emotional and uplifting, Kids on the Slope runs the gamut of emotions in it's single cour of twelve episodes. It's hard to pin point just what exactly I love about Kids on the Slope. It tells a touching (albeit, occasionally frustrating) love story with realistically defined characters and their growth, surrounded in a backdrop of Jazz. This wrapped in a charming package, brimming with quality is enough to put it near the top of my 2012 list.

Also, best OST by default.

4. Mysterious Girlfriend X - Weird. Charming.
5. Rinne no Lagrange - Fun first season
6. Girls und Panzer - Tankery is surprisingly fun
7. Natsuyuki Rendesvouz - Touching show that fizzled out towards the end
8. Space Brothers - Haven't watched nearly enough of this, but it deserves a spot from the little I have watched

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hmmm, I feel inclined to marathon some shows before finalizing this...
No need, just watch the first 3 episodes. That is enough to accurately determine the quality of any show.

Dali

1. Phi Brain Puzzle of God
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma1r3ikZpg1r3tnvto1_500.jpg[/im]

Phi Brain was a refreshing take on the genre this year. Somehow through its visuals, action, and music it managed to consistently top each previous episode, a mighty task considering it spanned 50 episodes and is even getting a third season just next year. The plot offered a rather refreshing and friendship themed focused take on its serious "world-saving" idea. It balanced the serious tone with good comedy, excellent cast chemistry, and just an overall cool main character and antagonists. Daimon Kaito remains one of my favorite main characters of all time. Really this anime was just pure plain fun and wholly memorable. Truly the best of 2012.

2. [B]Guilty Crown[/B]
[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lt601qxUwP1r0478zo6_250.gif[/im][img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lt601qxUwP1r0478zo7_250.gif[/im][img]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lt601qxUwP1r0478zo8_250.gif[/im]
If there was one phrase to describe Guilty Crown it would be: A flurry of explosions, stylish void accents, and colors, and excellent music.. Lots of praise for its visuals, friendship and bonds, action and intensity, and the experience in sound and drama was unlike any other anime that Ive seen before. I liked how focused it was for its episode count that surprisingly didnt even leave me begging for more. Character designs were great and most were memorable. Intriguing and unique series that Im glad to have watched and am dying to experience it all again for the third time dubbed, hopefully in english.

3. [B]Blast of Tempest[/B]
[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbqv3acnQf1qfsc01o3_500.jpg[/im]
Although only 12 episodes have aired it has so far positioned itself far above and beyond the quality of many of the other numerous anime that have came out this year. Im usually first focuse don visuals and it exceeds in numerous regards on that. Next the characters and plot are pretty good. Mahiro and Yoshino make up a good team and the supporting cast around them are definitely great too. There is something special about this whole product that can make even just a conversation that spans three episodes featuring limited movement still remain wholly interesting. Perhaps it is a testament to the writer behind the source, my favorite non bl manga writer, in fact, that makes me like it so much. Regardless, definite top three and one anime I will definitely add to my blu ray collection eventually.

4. [B]Accel World[/B]
[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m54irhMeMm1qesvxbo1_500.gif[/im]
This has a special place in my heart, its just one of the most interesting anime of 2012 and with its mech inspired futuristic vrmmorpg setting mixed with excellent school setting antics, it basically packed quite a bit of what I like in anime. The music behind the production is quite excellent two with tracks from mintjam and onoken and excellent vocal themes. Numerous moments are just plain good in it and perhaps it is the best looking anime for action this year. [URL="http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_madswr4yuV1qdmk7ho2_500.gif"]Just look[/URL]. [URL="http://i.imgur.com/hkT2C.gif"]And[/URL]. Beyond visuals the cast also interact well, sure the main character is a bit plump, but Taku (megane) is a good partner to have on board and other members in nega-nebulous also round them out well. Best thing in this was the incarnation system, best battle and game engine around.

5. [B]K[/B]
[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mctwj7pK2e1rao0vlo1_500.gif[/im]
K shocking only had one fault and that is that it was just way too short. Fortunately this was resolved end of season with a second season announcement. It was difficult ranking it as it is so good and almost nearly as good as the previous four. K had such a large and extensive cast that I was initially afraid that it would become some weird cluster type anime at the start and unfortunately be a bad one but I was plain surprised from episode 1 all the way through to episode 13. It was an emotional joyride of comedy, sadness, affection between numerous members of the cast, to tears and joy. It was a wild ride and had so many good action scenes through the kings abilities as well as just dialogue that felt so charming between the characters. They didn't want to be enemies but due to the worlds events and an antagonist it just had to be. It was a blast and one that will be unforgettable to me.

6. [B]Tsuritama[/B]
[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m63872UpdB1r1geyyo1_250.jpg[/im]

A perfect lead cast for the drama genre led to much interesting moments and interactions for the plot basis of fishing. It may not have been as good as [b]This Boy Can Fight Aliens[/b] which seemed to share some common themes (friendship and bonds and aliens), however all four lead characters were interesting and showed actually good character development over the course of the anime. Visually fresh, very hilarious and touching, and even interesting enough to make fishing seem rather enthralling and fun, loved this series extensively and it has an awesome fandom.

7. [B]Kuroko's Basketball[/B]
[img]http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/188/b/8/kuroko_no_basket__episodio_10__by_asahi88-d56axro.gif[/im]

The anime is such a good take on Basketball that when watching the NBA had me wishing it could be just as good or even have characters that are as good. Although there were a few minor things about the anime that keep it from being on the top (inconclusive end in a "training arc" for the main characters), I did find that most of the cast was actually quite interesting and worthwhile. Most actually did get screentime and development and not feel totally worthless in a cast full of superstar Generation of Miracle Players. The music was fitting for their epic skills and Kise reigned supreme as my favorite, Takao and Kuroko second and third respectively. The drama was high and found myself so into it that I consistently thought the episodes were just too short not realizing how much time went by. Personally I also loved how they did the end credit images too, such great material. Full hype for s2.

8. [B]Eureka Seven Ao[/B]
[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mds7l4BCSd1qemk2io1_r1_500.jpg[/im]

A huge improvement over Eureka Seven focusing on the important aspects of delivering a good story, character development, and good mechs while abandoning pointless romance and random filler type activiting., Ao was actually quite good even if its story tethered on the edge of needing to have multiple rewatches and a bit of discussion to understand its plot and the various implications regarding characters and their motives. I loved it week after week, especially, Ao, and Truth and even a few others. The visuals were excellent and the soundtrack one of the best of the year even.

9. [B]Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate[/B]
[img]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8wczj4ROg1qbxqfpo1_500.png[/im][im]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6xypcWTP41qjyb43o2_500.png[/ig]

KoiChoco was litrally the surprise of the year. I don't even remember why I picked it up to watch but it was so worth it and rewarding. Just the whole yaoi stick thing and yume never got old but beyond that the plot and drama was actually really good and believable. I really felt like getting behind oojima, cheering him and the food club on, as they faced to rise in the elections against the various other groups at the school. It was quite good and I was so glad it was licensed. Really really up there for best school anime this year.

10. [B]Mobile Suit Gundam Age[/B]
[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6unglT0Ls1r4wxzlo1_500.jpg[/im]
I think Im probably in the minority but Gundam Age was worth giving a shot and was vastly rewarding week after week. I liked the ever deepening plot and the intense action, as well as the visuals and music (nary a bad song on the OST). Side characters like Desil, Fram, Leil, Seric Abis, Wolf, Ezelcanto-sama, Deen, Algrieus, were well done and interesting and actually worth mentioning, and the main characters were all good, like Zehearto, Flit, Asemu, Kio, were good. Visually good for the designs and even having actually epic and memorable battles, this is one of my favorite mech Ive seen. Gundam Age was a great entry into Gundam and got me to check out 00 and Wing this year. Wing is the best Gundam and Gundam Age probably second best with 00 right behind it.

HM: [B]Kono Danshi, Uchuujin to Tatakaemasu (This Boy Can Fight Aliens)[/B] would have ranked it but it came out in 2011, but didnt release here in the US until 2012. But it was so good for what it offered mixing boys love theme with the drama and alien action type setting for a really memorable and emotional experience with good visuals, also must commend it for Robotica Robotics, a short included with it that has the boys love and slice of life/drama type setting exploring the meaning of love for robots in their "family" with the man who picked them up off the street from their creator, really emotional and memorable too.[/QUOTE]

Give it to me straight. I've been out of anime gaf threads for too long. I've just been punked right? This is like a sarcastic top 10? I mean I'm never sure. Some people actually like stuff like what you posted. But then I read your comments on Eureka 7 and I was like "oooooh... it's a joke post".

Jarmel

Banned
Give it to me straight. I've been out of anime gaf threads for too long. I've just been punked right? This is like a sarcastic top 10? I mean I'm never sure. Some people actually like stuff like what you posted. But then I read your comments on Eureka 7 and I was like "oooooh... it's a joke post".

No, he's very serious.

Dresden

He's a joke poster.

Kurita

:dtl
Read his impressions on Cowboy Bebop... Yeah no, that's a bad idea.

Maedhros

His mind is pretty simple actually.
If it have MALE characters almost making out (or implied yaoi), if the said characters are perfect (meaning no struggle or problems), friendship > all, etc.

Seriously... one day I hoped he was joking too. I cringe everytime I have to read his posts (I usually read the whole thread).

ZeroGravity

1. Ano Natsu de Matteru
2. Uchuu Kyoudai
3. Accel World
4. Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
5. Yuru Yuri&#9834;&#9834;
6. Sword Art Online
7. Bodacious Space Pirates
8. Fate/Zero (2nd Season)
9. Robotics;Notes
10. Psycho-Pass

Go_Ly_Dow

I apologize for calling him "our treasure".

DTL is a free spirit, and it is a shame that so many communities don't get to experience him. (or are even aware of his existence :( ....)

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
1. Gundam UC 5
2. Hyouka
3. K-ON! Movie
4. Persona 4 the Animation
5. One Piece: Episode of Nami

I didnt love eureka seven much but Ill still buy it when it comes here as it was good mecha, ao was just better. Dont understand the joke commentary either as Ive been pretty open about even expending money on these series all 2012, definitely be buying phi brain. People be holding to three year old stories. Regardless I think one should make their own decision on if my thoughts and opinions are sincere or not, which they are. As long as characters look good, themes I think are required in anime are present, and the plot is sound with good visuals, characters designs, and music, then its a great amime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom