• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf 2012 Backlog Blitz - Where we give the middle finger to Steam sales

Big-E

My backlog according to my Steam list is as follows.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Assassin's Creed II
Avadon: The Black Fortress
The Binding of Isaac
Cave Story+
Chantelise
Costume Quest
Cthulu Saves the World
Darksiders
Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga
Dungeons of Dredmor
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Fate of the World
Gratuitous Space Battles
Hard Reset
King's Bounty: Armored Princess
King's Bounty: The Legend
The Last Remnant
NightSky
Orcs Must Die
Psychonauts
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Revenge of the Titans
Rochard
Rock of Ages
Sanctum
STALKER: Call of Pripyat
Sequence
Serious Sam: The Random Encounter
Shank
Space Pirates and Zombies
Space Chem
Thief: Deadly Shadows
VVVVVV

Backlog: -34

Most of those are from this past Christmas Steam sale but others are from a long time ago like Last Remnant. Currently playing Hard Reset and should have that done by tomorrow or the day after. So far his year I only beaten the original Deus Ex.

Deus Ex: Game of the Year
Trine
Beaten: +2

TOTAL: -32

Go me.

EDIT: Forgot I beat Trine around New Years also so added that.

Brashnir

This is such a weird (and bad) review. You claim that you used to play the previous games and yet you seem completely oblivious to the fact that these games are meant to be played over and over on higher and higher difficulties. Which, in turn, unlocks drops of better and better weapons for you so you can keep up with the tide of monsters. It is the same for the character progression that they've added in this game. So no, you are never supposed to reach lvl 7 (or is it 8? I forget) just by playing on Normal difficulty. You max out your level somewhere at the end of the campaign on the highest difficulty and just like other games have done before it, you will not get to see the completele ending until you finish the game on the highest difficulty.

I liked the game and thought it was an OK addition to the series, the only thing I miss from the previous EDF is the sheer amount of monsters it threw at you. Here the monsters just seem to toughen up a lot when you increase the difficulty which in a way gives the illusion of tons of monsters, but it's only an illusion.

I know how the games are supposed to be played, but the other games were actually fun to replay, and gave a sense of incremental progression at frequent intervals, instead of these huge chunks after slow, too-long levels.

I know what the games are about, and this one misses the boat at every turn.

The PC version has prettier graphics and it plays fine. I haven't played the Xbox version.

I beat two games today, In the Hunt and Undercover Cops, which brings me up to +4.

No need to commit to finishing more than two now. The best way to attack a backlog is to pick a game and play it until you're done. Skyrim right off the bat means it'll be a while until you get to game #2, but that's not so bad. Play the game that appeals to you most when you start the next one, and so on.

And yeah, you should stop spending full retail for games at this point unless you know you're going to go home and play them right then. One of the nice things about having a backlog is that it gives you plenty to play while you wait for games to come down in price. It's also a good idea to not buy sequels to games you haven't played. I see 4 (!) Prince of Persia games on your list, and they're not even bolded. They're all good games, but if you didn't play the first 2, why buy the third and fourth? (unless they were part of a bundle deal, then I guess I get it.)

Made me feel better. The Prince of Persia games were a bundle, I think during Christmas Steam sales all four of them were $5 or something? Maybe $10? Not sure... but it was too good to pass up because I've always wanted to give them a try considering how many good words you hear about them, just never got a chance, so I might get onto them one day - who knows, I might be pleasantly surprised and just burn through them, that has happened before.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
So far this year I've broken even.

Bought: Bastion
Completed: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link

If I go beyond this year my back log looks something like this. Games in bold are ones that I have played, but have never gotten around to finishing.

AAAAAA For the Awesome/Reckless Disregard
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Bastion
Child of Eden
Darwinia
Demon Souls

Descent
Descent 2
Descent 3
The Dig
Dungeon Siege 3
Frozen Synapse
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Ground Control 2
Hard Reset

Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale 2
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
The Journeyman Project 2
Loom
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Myst
Myst 3
No One Lives Forever 2
Planescape Torment
Shatter
Stalker: Call of Pripyat
Stalker: Clear Sky
Stalker: Shadows of Chernobyl
Sam & Max Season 1

Sam & Max Season 2
Sam & Max Season 3
The Secret of Monkey Island
Super Mario Galaxy 2
The Temple of Elemental Evil
Thief
Thief 2
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Trine
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

VVVVV

I'm sure I've got more that have just slipped my notice, but that actually doesn't seem all that bad when I write it out like that. It looks a lot worse when you separate each Sam & Max season into the individual episodes. 42 titles on the backlog.

Murkas

Steam Backlog
Alien Breed 2 Assault
Alien Swarm
Amnesia
And yet it moves
Aquaria
Braid
Bully
Burnout Paradise
Cogs
C&C3+expansion
C&C4
Company of Heroes
Defense Grid
Deus Ex GOTY Edition
Dirt 2
F.E.A.R. 2
Lara Croft Guardian of light
LIMBO
Metro 2033
Monkey Island 2
Overlord
Overlord2
Painkiller
Recettear
Red Faction Gorilla
Stalker Shadow of Cherynobyl
Saints Row The Third
Serious Sam HD
Serious Sam HD 2
Sonic Generations
Terraria
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Tomb Raider Legends
Tom Clancy Splinter Cell 2
Total War Shogun 2
Warhammer 40000 Dawn of war 2
World of Goo

PS3 Backlog
3D DOT Game heroes
Alice 1
Alice:Madness Returns
Resonance of Fate
Shadow of the Damned

PS2 Backlog
Ace Combat Distant Thunder
Shin Migami Tensei : Digital Devil Saga
Shin Migami Tensei : Digital Devil Saga 2
Shin Migami Tensei : Lucifer Calls
Psyconaughts
Okami
Zone of the Enders 2

PS1 Backlog
Final Fantasy 9
Vagrant Story

Wii Backlog
Little Kings Story
Xenoblade Chronicles
Zack & Wiki
Zelda : Twilight Princess

3DS/DS Backlog
Kid Icarus
Kirbys Mass Attack
Kirby Squeak Squad
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
Zelda Links Awakening
Zelda Four Swords
Zelda SPirit Tracks

These are all of the top of my head, I know I've got more.

Games I bought in 2012 so far
Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles -1
Final Fantsy 9 -1

Games Finished in 2012
InFAMOUS 2 +1
Mario Kart 7 +1
Starfox 3D +1
Hard Reset +1
Bastion +1
Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles +1
New Super Mario Bros Wii +1

Score so far= 5

Currently Playing
Alice 1

Anyone wanna recommend a JRPG on my list to play?

Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call is a really amazing game and Resonance of Fate is also great if you want to play something newer.

My backloggery: http://backloggery.com/gryphter

Since I got most of my games for Xmas, I have zero purchases this year (unless you count Dance Central 2, which I don't, because that's more of a party game than something I need to actually beat)

So I beat LA Noire Complete Edition and Shadows of the Damned. Puts me at +2

It makes me sad that I was beginning to get my backlog under control until I discovered Heroes of Newerth in the summer over 270 hours put into that game, it's MW2 all over again

The thing that annoys me about having such a large backlog is how daunting it is to decide what to play

Haven't bought anything yet this year at least! Until FF XIII-2 comes out...Alan Wake American Nightmare...Mass Effect 3...I really need to start playing through my backlog

Tonza

Completed this year:

Bastion
Final Fantasy XIII

no new games bought, so +2 now. I'll most likely go heavily to the - side once the winter/spring games come.

My Backloggery: http://backloggery.com/flak

Finished: +41

Trine
Scribblenauts Remix
Squids
Super Mario Kart
Shatter
The UnderGarden
Max & the Magic Marker
Xotic
Bastion
Dungeon Defenders
DLC Quest
Dragon's Lair
Angry Birds Seasons
League of Evil
Run Roo Run
Angry Birds Space
Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp
Cut the Rope
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
Stay Alive
Zombie Shooter
League of Evil 2
Botanicula
Diablo III
LostWinds
Stacking
Torchlight
On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode One
On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode Two
On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3
Batman: Arkham City - Lockdown
Saints Row: The Third
Prey
Coil
Borderlands
To the Moon
Reprisal
Torchlight II
The Blackwell Deception
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record

Added: -134

Fractal
Max & the Magic Marker
Super Crossfire
Nuclear Dawn
Assassin's Creed II
Super Mario Kart
Stay Alive
Serious Sam Double D
Assassin's Creed: Altaïr's Chronicles
Batman: Arkham City Lockdown
HOARD
The Ball
Dear Esther
League of Evil
Hard Reset
DLC Quest
Vertex Dispenser
Lair of the Evildoer
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
Angry Birds Space
Faerie Solitaire
Cut the Rope
Run Roo Run
Oni
Lucid
The Ship Single Player
Botanicula
Nox
Syndicate
League of Evil 2
Meganoid
LostWinds
Diablo III
Gunman Clive
Gemini Rue
The Sea Will Claim Everything
1893: A World's Fair Mystery
Metal Dead
Epic Mickey
Lone Survivor
Torchlight
Serious Sam: Kamikaze Attack!
The Real Texas
On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Borderlands
Trine 2
Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Mount & Blade: Warband
Saints Row: The Third
Far Cry
Batman: Arkham City
Saints Row
PixelJunk Eden
Sideway New York
Q.U.B.E.
Vessel
Iron Brigade
Prey
Syberia
Spec Ops: The Line
Magicka
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
Quantum Conundrum
Home
Aether
Time Fcuk
Triachnid
Coil
Spewer
Grey Matter
Resonance
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Dustforce
Rochard
To the Moon
Torchlight II
Sonic CD
Thief Gold
Thief II: The Metal Age
Cortex Command
Alien Breed 3: Descent
Phantasmagoria
Resident Evil Zero
Dead Space 2
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
AVSEQ
The Blackwell Deception
Oil Rush
Reprisal
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Tiny & Big in Grandpa's Leftovers
Resident Evil 4
Theme Hospital
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
EvilQuest
MacGuffin's Curse
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse
Pathologic
Anna
Post Mortem
BlindSide
Manor of the Damned!
Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record
Squids: Wild West
Splice
Waking Mars
Sanctum
Sam & Max: Save the World
Sam & Max: Beyond Time and Space
Back to the Future: The Game
Qasir Al-Wasat: A Night in-Between
Velvet Assassin
Swords & Soldiers HD
Zen Bound 2
Dead Rising 2: Case Zero
Red Faction: Armageddon
Sacred Gold
Prototype
Prototype 2
Children of the Nile
Hinterlands
Puzzle Agent 2
The Dream Machine
Adventure Apes and the Mayan Mystery
Spelunky
Dark Souls
Hotline Miami
Mark of the Ninja
Dead Rising 2

Total Score: -93

Brashnir

It makes me sad that I was beginning to get my backlog under control until I discovered Heroes of Newerth in the summer over 270 hours put into that game, it's MW2 all over again

The thing that annoys me about having such a large backlog is how daunting it is to decide what to play

Haven't bought anything yet this year at least! Until FF XIII-2 comes out...Alan Wake American Nightmare...Mass Effect 3...I really need to start playing through my backlog

Just pick a game that looks interesting and go. It's sometimes less daunting if you pick something that's short, so you can always check out some completion times on http://howlongtobeat.com

I just finished Super Mario 3D Land. I had finished most of the game, but it got back-burnered for a while when I picked up Zen Pinball 3D. It's hard to put a completion time on it, since most of it was done during bathroom breaks, but I guess it was around 7-8 hours.

I liked the game for the most part. There were a couple areas and mechanics I didn't really enjoy, but with the game being structured as it is, you only end up seeing those areas a handful of times throughout the course of the game. I'm also not a huge fan of the slider pad on the 3DS, but I can't really hold that against the game.

After playing this, I see why Nintendo took so long to bring back the Tanooki suit. It's a really unbalancing powerup, and almost every level changes drastically whether or not you have it. Contrasted with Rayman:Origins, where
once you get the glide powerup, you basically have Tanooki powers all the time in that game,
this game ends up feeling very uneven. Lives are also a very outdated concept and are really uncecessary at this point.

Those complaints aside, I really did enjoy the game. It's not the best Mario platformer, or the best platformer of the year, but it's still a quality game and a good reason to own a 3DS.

Overall rating - 3/5 (really teetering near 4/5)

This puts me at +5 for the year. 9 finished, 4 bought.

Satoho

Banned
Thanks for the site info, gotta register now >_< I need to work on respecting myself as a gamer... not a backlogger, that's shameful guys, Shame on us lol

Just pick a game that looks interesting and go. It's sometimes less daunting if you pick something that's short, so you can always check out some completion times on http://howlongtobeat.com

Yeah I've been trying to do this, outside of multiplayer games I've been picking out a short and a long game to play, well I'm doing that now so I'm playing through Alice Madness Returns and Skyrim and it seems to be progressing well

Never heard of that site though, thanks

vall03

maybe I should try this out but I have a question, what if I bought a game that I have already played and finished before? so its -1 and +1 at the same time?

Brashnir

maybe I should try this out but I have a question, what if I bought a game that I have already played and finished before? so its -1 and +1 at the same time?

If you've finished it and are re-buying or double-dipping, I think it's fair to call it a +/-0. I think HD remakes fall into the same category.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
just realized i have a pc and an xbox copy of psychonauts

which is better?

Is your PC copy a Steam version? If so that.

Thanks for the site info, gotta register now >_< I need to work on respecting myself as a gamer... not a backlogger, that's shameful guys, Shame on us lol

There's nothing shameful about having a ton of games to play on the super cheap. Having a backlog is so much better than the alternative.

Rikkun

That's how I usually do with backloggery.. so I think it would be ok to do so.

*takes a deep breath*

This is my backlog. http://www.backloggery.com/ricky

Right now I have.. 282 unfinished games. And 37 unplayed.

For 2012..

Bought

• Cabela's Alaskan Adventures (a joke/challenge with a buddy)

And finished

• We Love Katamari - PS2
  • Shank - Steam
  • Uncharted (which I won't count because I don't own it, I borrowed it from a friend)

So actually my score is +1

Considering I finished 2011 with something around -100.. Only problem is Blockbuster here in Italy is closing with huge price-cuts so I'll lose tons of points very soon.

vall03

well then, I guess I'll start with my purchases this year

Purchased: -2
Dead Space
Dead Space 2

Finished: +5
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Tales of Vesperia
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I
Metroid Fusion

Currently Playing:
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2: Innocent Sin

Total Points: +3

Looking at a backlog is seriously very intimidating so I don't put much unfinished games even on my Backloggery, have to focus first on a particular game and set some games as "Unfinished" since they're games that I want to play at the moment

My Backlog is insane... http://backloggery.com/bphusker X_X

Anyway, for 2012 I have bought 8 games. Most are ones that I found for really cheap or ones I have been looking for for a long time.

Purchased: -8
  • Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2
  • Elemental Gearbolt
  • Etrian Oddyssy III
  • Growlanser: Heritage of War
  • Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
  • Rayman Origins
  • Vanguard Bandits
  • Z.H.P. - Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Evilman

Finished: +2
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • Gears of War 2

Total Points: -6

def sim

Seems like we have so many backlog threads!

My backlog was about 36 retail and 12 arcade games deep at the end of 2011. I went nuts in the first week of January and sold 28 or so of the retail games on craigslist, a lot consisting of big games from the past three Fall seasons. A good number were gifts so I wasn't totally responsible for the backlog, but a couple of sales definitely compelled me to purchase more than I can handle.

I bought a PS3 and figured I'd start over there just to mix things up. I'm working on Yakuza 3 right now and will hopefully finish this before the end of the month. I'll start re-buying some of my backlog when more free time pops up but, until then, everything is strictly for the moment.

I'm making good progress on my first backlog
completion of 2012, which will likely end up being Bioshock 2.

I haven't bought anything yet this year aside from some catalog backfill, Assassin's Creed and Halo: Reach, both of which I beat on loan from a friend; they're just for the shelf and historical reference.

Rikkun

Anyway, for 2012 I have bought 8 games. Most are ones that I found for really cheap or ones I have been looking for for a long time.

• Elemental Gearbolt
  • Etrian Oddyssy III
  • Rayman Origins
  • Vanguard Bandits

• Super Mario 3D Land
  • Gears of War 2

What a Backlog.. slowclap.mkv

Mr YuYu

I am joining this!

Games bought in 2012: 0
Games beaten in 2012: 1

Games beaten:
Renegade ops (360)

Currently Playing:
Zelda: Skyward sword (Wii)
LA Noire (360)

I'm in. Already off to kind of a rocky start thanks largely to the Patricians & Merchants pack on Steam and the always insidious app store. Anyway, really been wanting to get in one of these on the ground floor and one thread running all year sounds good...hope we all stick with it! I'm going to list the year each came out (my region/platform of choice) for my own amusement.

Bought
1. Unstoppable Gorg (2012)
2. RoboHero (2012)
3. Kingdom Rush (2012)
4. Driver San Francisco (2011)
5. Avadon: The Black Fortress (2011)
6. Ascendancy (2011)
7. Squids (2011)
8. Afrika (2009)
9. The Great Art Race (2009)
10. Depths of Peril (2007)
11. Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (2007)
12. Darkstar One (2006)
13. Patrician III (2003)

Beat
1. Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 +dlc 1, deck packs 1-3 (2011)
2. Orcs Must Die! (2011)

Score: -11

Will be making a herculean effort to get into the positive by the end of February, largely by focusing on soft targets (i.e., short games and games I am already well on my way to completing), with an emphasis on recent purchases:
1. God of War II HD (2009)
2. Unstoppable Gorg (2012)
3. Driver San Francisco (2011)
4. Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (2007)
5. LIMBO (2011)
6. Bastion (2011)
7. RoboHero (2012)
8. Virtual City (2010)
9. Tiny Heroes (2011)
10. Shadow of the Colossus HD (2011)
11. Kingdom Rush (2012)

• Elemental Gearbolt
  • Etrian Oddyssy III
  • Rayman Origins
  • Vanguard Bandits

• Super Mario 3D Land
  • Gears of War 2

You need to start selling off some (a lot) games.

IrishNinja

obligatory backloggery!

+1 beat BS Zelda no Densetsu
+1 beat Vampire Bloodlines Masquarade
+1 beat Sonic Generations

-1 bought Rayman Origins on sale
-3 bought 3DS with zelda, mario kart and 3d land...

not off to a great start in 2012, plus last steam sale put me at 20+ games deep! i really gotta slow down & tie some shit up, finally gonna see Metroid Prime through this month, but the PC backlog is heavier for WRPGs like Baldur's Gate 2, System Shock 2, Witcher 2, Deus Ex HR etc...

on the upside: i finished 31 games in 2011, and that includes stuff that was in my old backlog for nearly a decade, so at least that's done!

games that will get done before E3:

System Shock 2
Kenzan!
Infamous 2 (borrowed it...)
Beyond Good & Evil HD
Mario Galaxy 2 (delayed if i go from Prime to Other M though)
Mario 3D Land

Amory

Bought: 4

Super Mario Galaxy 2
Metroid: Other M
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Costume Quest: Grubbins on Ice

Finished: 3

Costume Quest
InFAMOUS 2: Festival of Blood
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Net: -1

I'm exhausted and about to head to bed so I'm not gonna write reviews for all three games, but all I'll say is that Costume Quest is one of my favorite games this generation. I was floored by how much I loved this game. Everything about it absolutely blew me away. And it even had an Arrested Development reference! :-D Awesome.

As soon as the credits finished rolling I finished getting the rest of the trophies and bought Grubbins on Ice, and I can't wait to dig into that.

tim.mbp

Bought: 0

Completed: 3
1. Kirby Mass Attack
2. Okamiden
3. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again!

Score: +3

Backlog: 15
1. Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation
2. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (starting)
3. Infinite Space
4. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All
5. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations
6. Ivy the Kiwi? Mini
7. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition
8. Mario Kart 7
9. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
10. 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure
11. Pushmo (in progress)
12. Bit.Trip Complete
13. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
14. Kirby's Epic Yarn
15. Rayman Origins

Jadedx

Banned
Okay, I want to play something but I am indecisive.

Here is my backlog.

Half Life 2: episode 2
Alan Wake: DLC 2
Hitman Blood Money
Tomb Raider Legend
L.A. Noire
Saints Row
Forza 3
Assassin's Creed 1
Dead Rising
Deus EX (Don't really like it, but I am on the last boss)
Halo CEA

Tons of xbla games.

Great thread!

Here's my (immense) backlog: http://backloggery.com/games.php?user=luntenfleisch

So far, I've been pretty succesful with fighting my backlog:

Bought: 0

Beaten: 9

Avadon: The Black Fortress: Really great Old-school CRPG, highly recommended if you can look past the graphics

Bastion: Awesome, awesome, awesome! Such a moody game with a great soundtrack. I don't think there was any other game where I had to think so hard about making a decision. I had heard good things about Bastion, but I did not thought that it would end up as one of my favourite games.

Breath of Death VII: Fun little RPG. Not as good and funny as the Cthulluh sequel, but still very charming.

Dawn of War 2: I don't know, I did not really enjoy it, I'm afraid. When it comes to campaigns, I'mm more of a Starcraft 2/ Command & Conquer guy. The lack of base-building didn't do anything for me...

Dead Space 2: (Even) Heavier focus on action than in the prequel, but I still liked it a lot. The last levels were tiresome, but the rest was a lot of fun, especially the throwback to Dead Space 1.

Eversion: Super Mario deconstructed. But it had the gameplay to support its arty approach so I'm not gonna complain. A very short, satisfying experience.

Dinner Date: 25 minutes long, still gonna count it as beat! ;) It achieved, what it wanted to achieve. Which isn't the world... I enjoyed it, though it would have been boring if it lasted longer.

Puzzle Agent 1 + 2: I expected a lame Layton clone. I got a Layton clone with a realy cool storyline. Twin Peaks, but even more whimsical. I hope, there's a third Puzzle Agent, I want more!

I'm currently making my way through Baldur's Gate 2, so it should take some time before I update... ;) AT the end of CHapter 2 now, so things should speed up soon. It's just as good as i thought it to be years ago when I was quite far along in the game but quit for some reason. I hope, this won't happen this time....

sp3000

I don't even want to think about my backlog from 2011, the amount of money I spent on games and then haven't even put them in my console and turned it on yet is excruciatingly painful.
KuGsj.gif

Why is it that I feel the need to buy a game and that I think I want to play it and enjoy it (be it during Steam sales - mostly, or even during other sales at stores, or even just buying a new release that I think I might maybe like) and then never play it because I'm still playing something else and never get to it? It's like I feel like OWNING the game but I don't care about playing it... wtf is with that?
LLShC.gif
. Or, I'll buy something new while I'm playing something else that I'm only semi enjoying, start playing the new game, and never go back to the older game again
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

I have not finished one game in 2012, I have only played one game in 2012.

Skyrim.

I think perhaps it would be good to list your own backlog and then as you play them you can cross them off... it might make sense to me to list out the games that I have just to give myself a slap in the face. Perhaps that's what the Backloggery should be for?

Need to play
Batman: Arkham City
Uncharted 3

Dark Souls
Ace Combat Assault Horizon
Mortal Kombat
Demon's Souls
Red Dead Redemption
Rage
Grand Theft Auto 4 + Episodes
Crysis Warhead
Mass Effect
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Starcraft 2
Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed II
Cities XL 2012
C&C4: Tiberian Twilight
Company of Heroes
Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts
Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor

Dead Island
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
DiRT 2
DiRT 3
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Metro 2033
Mirror's Edge
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Renegade Ops
Civilization V
SkyDrift
Skyrim
Sonic Generations
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Unreal Tournament 3: Black
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II Chaos Rising

Wings of Prey

Hot damn that makes me sick... There is no chance in hell I'm ever going to get through all of those games, wtf was I thinking! I'll bold the ones that I think I might want to play, but unlikely finish.

Bold italics is ones that I will commit to finishing. HAHA! Two!

That's it. I'm going to decide to really pull myself together this year, I'm only going to buy stuff that I REALLY want to play. I suppose getting a lot of those games during Steam sales for $10 or less is worth it just to have them in-case I feel like going there at some point in the future, but the ones I bought on launch full price... that hurts.

Most of that stuff on the list isn't really worth your time to be honest. UT3 doesn't even have a campaign.

You need to play

1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

2. Crysis Warhead

3. Dark Souls

That's about it.

ghibli99

Bought in 2012:
  1. Jan: Mother 3 (GBA) - Bought to collect after finishing the English translation.
  2. Feb: Persona 4 (PS2)
  3. Mar: Journey (PS3) - Spent $2.95 on it since I had $12.04 leftover from who knows when!
  4. Mar: Dear Esther (PC)
  5. Apr: Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) - Got the artbook, too. First time in a GameStop in years... not proud of it, either.
  6. May: Akai Katana (360) - Gotta support Cave.

Finished in 2012:
  1. Mother 3 (GBA)
    • Impressions: RPG of the Forever. Pretty much the perfect game.
    • Month completed: January
    • Time played: 25 hours
    • Score: 99
  2. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (DS)
    • Impressions: Replayed it, still as awesome as I remember from '09.
    • Month completed: January
    • Time played: 35 hours
  3. Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
    • Impressions: Broken camera, repetitive gameplay. Story, visuals, music, and ending were nice, but the core is rotten.
    • Month completed: February
    • Time played: 20 hours
    • Score: 71
  4. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (DS)
    • Impressions: Terrific game, through and through. Puzzles about 3/4-way through were the trickiest; text was a bit long-winded. Superb soundtrack. Not sure how long it took... I started in early January, but only played it once or twice a week due to work and juggling other games.
    • Month completed: February
    • Time played: 10 hours
    • Score: 95
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)
    • Impressions: A few stumbling blocks (a bit too much padding and a contrived escort mission), but overall, probably my favorite Zelda, right on up there with the best of the series.
    • Month completed: March
    • Time played: 40 hours
  6. Persona 3 Portable (PSP)
    • Impressions: Fun game, pretty refreshing, but way too long, and the broken/exploitable encounter system makes battles too easy. Great character design, loved the soundtrack, and solid story.
    • Time played: 72 hours
    • Score: 89
  7. Journey (PS3)
    • Impressions: Sublime. Masterful in every way, especially how it handles co-op. This game trusts in human nature, and triumphs.
    • Time played: 1 hour
  8. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP (iOS)
    • Impressions: Cool game, but made some dumb mistakes that extended my overall play time. Zero replay value!
    • Time played: 5 hours
  9. Flower (PS3)
    • Impressions: After Journey, I went back to this one (hadn't touched it since '09). Wonderful game, gave me some things to think about after it was over. Looks to have some decent replay value too.
    • Time played: 3 hours
  10. God of War Collection: God of War (PS3)
    • Impressions: Good game, solid/fluid combat, excellent soundtrack, but pacing, traversal, and platforming were weak, and repetitiveness of combat got really old for me.
    • Score: 85
  11. Dear Esther (PC)
    • Impressions: Very unique experience. Is it a game? Doesn't really matter. Not much to "do", but I was drawn into it, and it's ridiculously pretty to look at.
    • Time played: 1 hour
  12. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
    • Impressions: Great game, some sections were tough as nails, amazing soundtrack, and the number of frames of animation was really impressive. Used a guide to 101* it, which was still rather difficult at times.
    • Month completed: April
  13. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
    • Impressions: Absolutely brilliant game. Perfect difficulty, amazing world/dungeon design, and great pacing. The gold standard in gaming.
    • Time played: 15 hours
  14. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES)
    • Impressions:
  15. Mega Man (NES)
    • Impressions:
    • Time played: 2 hours
  16. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS)
    • Impressions:
    • Month completed: May
    • Time played: 20 hours
    • Score: 79
  17. Mega Man II (NES)
    • Impressions:
  18. Mega Man III (NES)
    • Impressions:
    • Time played: 8 hours
    • Score: 91
  19. Mega Man IV (NES)
    • Impressions:
  20. Mega Man V (NES)
    • Impressions:
  21. Mega Man VI (NES)
    • Impressions:
    • Score: 81

Currently Playing:
  1. Persona 4 (PS2) - I'm about 3 hours in, having fun finally in the first dungeon, love all the improvements from P3.
  2. Donkey Kong (GBC) - Damn, this is great!
  3. The Ball (PC) - Surprisingly fun first-person action/puzzle game... has its quirks, and the pacing is a bit meh, but it's holding my interest so far.
  4. New Super Mario Bros. (DS) - People don't seem to like this, but I find it to be lots of fun, especially finding all the star coins in each stage.

Stuff I played but am not counting since I didn't put much time into them before quitting... not scoring them either:
  1. Feb: 1&#8230; 2&#8230; 3&#8230; Kick It! (Drop That Beat Like an Ugly Baby) (PC) - Pretty awful game. Only played it since it came w/ the Potato Sack last year. OK aesthetic, but I found the music analyzer to be pretty weak, and the gameplay uninspired. So many other better games of this type.
  2. Feb: AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! -- A Reckless Disregard for Gravity (PC) - Better than 123 Kick It, but still not really my cup of tea. There are a lot of other much better high score games of this sort.
  3. Mar: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (PC) - I admit, I'm a wuss with horror games. Didn't get far into it before quitting and playing something else. Maybe one day! What I saw was cool, though.

In the Queue:
  1. God of War II (PS3)
  2. New Super Mario Bros. (Wii)
  3. 999 (DS)
  4. Solatoroto (DS)
  5. Catherine (PS3)
  6. Bayonetta (360)
  7. Vanquish (360)
  8. Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2)
  9. Persona 1, 2 (PS2/PSP)

Net Score:
+15

FYI, here's my extremely unscientific grading/scoring scale:
A- 91% / A 95% / A+ 99%
B- 81% / B 85% / B+ 89%
C- 71% / C 75% / C+ 79%
...and hopefully I don't go below this on anything I finish. :p Trying to strive for quality with my backlog choices.

coopolon

just realized i have a pc and an xbox copy of psychonauts

which is better?

Steam PC is far and away superior. Can patch it to have perfect 360 controller support, looks great at 1080p.

obligatory backloggery!

+1 beat BS Zelda no Densetsu
+1 beat Vampire Bloodlines Masquarade
+1 beat Sonic Generations

-1 bought Rayman Origins on sale
-3 bought 3DS with zelda, mario kart and 3d land...

not off to a great start in 2012, plus last steam sale put me at 20+ games deep! i really gotta slow down & tie some shit up, finally gonna see Metroid Prime through this month, but the PC backlog is heavier for WRPGs like Baldur's Gate 2, System Shock 2, Witcher 2, Deus Ex HR etc...

on the upside: i finished 31 games in 2011, and that includes stuff that was in my old backlog for nearly a decade, so at least that's done!

games that will get done before E3:

System Shock 2
Kenzan!
Infamous 2 (borrowed it...)
Beyond Good & Evil HD
Mario Galaxy 2 (delayed if i go from Prime to Other M though)
Mario 3D Land

I visited your backlog the other day and was pretty surprised at how many you'd added. You were always my inspiration having cleared almost the entire thing!

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Question for you, and all of GAF that uses backloggery. Do you use the completed metal for when you have fully completed a game, or when you have completed a game on your own terms?

Completed = All modes beaten, all unlockables unlocked, and (if applicable) all achievements/trophies obtained. You know...When the game has been completed.

Question for you, and all of GAF that uses backloggery. Do you use the completed metal for when you have fully completed a game, or when you have completed a game on your own terms?
I use beaten for reaching the end credits and completed when I've done like 95% of everything there is to do.

ghibli99

I use beaten for reaching the end credits and completed when I've done like 95% of everything there is to do.
Yup. If I used Jive Turkey's criteria, I'd never "finish" anything. When I feel like I've gotten what I wanted out of a game, I'll call it done.

coopolon

I use beaten to note when I have played a game but got tired/bored of it and didn't want to play anymore. I use completed to note I played the game until the end credits. If I were to ever 100% a game I would use the diamond, but I don't think I have ever done that before.

They recently introduced a difference between unfinished and unplayed so my system doesn't make as much sense. But now I have unplayed for games I have never touched and unfinished for games I have touched but I still consider as part of my backlog (ie played an hour or two, moved on to something else but I still want to go back to it.)

Brashnir

The majority of my collection is either beaten or unfinished. I rarely use "completed".

Same.

If I play a game and decide I don't want to finish it, It goes into Null status.

There's a few games where the difference between "beaten" and "completed" is pretty tiny or even non-existent, like say a point-and-click adventure. In those cases I use the C.

Edit - for Telltale games, I don't use the C until I've finished the whole season.

Decided I wanted to knock a game out of my backlog in one go so I started and finished Portal today, seeing as Portal 2 was my 2011 game of the year. Great game except for the fact that some parts made me a bit motion sick, prefer Portal 2 overall though

Games Bought:

Games Completed:
Portal

Score +1

Top Bottom