• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
bistromathics said:
From where? I can only find them being sold second-hand at jacked up prices.

2visehe.jpg

wtf??
nice price on the shipping tho

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Yes Boss! said:
I believe he/she was in Canada. Yikes, that Amazon marketplace price is a little inflated. I think they've come down a bit on eBay in the recent week...like $250ish. Still bad, but a lot of folks are starting to get the second wave it seems.

I'm curious if Madcatz intends to repurpose the case in and unbranded fashion down the line. I know I'd buy another like that. Heck, I'm wondering if they are even pursuing other licenses? Not expecting any answer MarkMan but let it be know that there is demand from this quarter for such a product!

MarkMan,

Do you know who has the KoF license in Japan? Please let it not be Exar.

Exar.

:p

They made a few good sticks... most notably the ROYDS Stick EX.

Their most recent ones being the Wii Exar Stick and Tatsunoko vs Capcom stick.

Yes Boss!

MarkMan said:
Exar.

:p

They made a few good sticks... most notably the ROYDS Stick EX.

Their most recent ones being the Wii Exar Stick and Tatsunoko vs Capcom stick.

Whaa!

They also made my cheapy Neo Geo Wii which is nice in form factor but far too light. I'm tempted to open it up and put some lead ballast in there. I'll probably bite for a japanese version for KoF since I'm an SNK man at heart...but I'll do it reluctantly. Terry has gotta be on it otherwise no dice. Now I wish Hori had the license. :-(

I missed out on the ROYDS Stick PS3 when you posted the play-asia sale because, damn, I just have too many PS3 sticks and postage was gonna send it through the roof, cost-wise. Kinda regret it now. If you ever wanna sell one let me know. The build quality looked robust.

GI_Josh87

Neo Member
I wish I could try out a TE stick. Thats mighty expensive, and I would wanna know I was going to like it first.

Oh well. Not like I have the 150 bucks to spend anyway. My Hori Fighting Stick EX2 is fine, haha.

Yes Boss!

GI_Josh87 said:
I wish I could try out a TE stick. Thats mighty expensive, and I would wanna know I was going to like it first.

Oh well. Not like I have the 150 bucks to spend anyway. My Hori Fighting Stick EX2 is fine, haha.

Do you have a Gamecrazy near you? Mine here in Aliso Viejo CA opened two for customers to play with in the store. If by the (infinitely small chance) that you live in south Orange County head to that shop to try it out!

But trust me, you will like it and it is well worth the $150.

NolbertoS

I have both TE sticks preordered up here in Canada for both 360 and PS3..but I may just cancel them now. I think it'll be cheaper, just to mod my Hori EX sticks with sanwa parts and maybe come out cheaper in the end.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
sold my doa4 stick on ebay for $110 :/ :D :/

i actually liked the thing well enough and haven't had any problems in the four years i've owned it, but jesus. guess i should thank microsoft for making such a shitty d-pad

dfyb

Banned
cthuluWiringCompare.jpg

Swapped out my SFAC PCB and lazy wiring with a Cthulhu and new wiring job. Only excess wires are from the arcade stick -- didn't want to cut more than I had to.

Sanjay

viewtiful_dru said:
So guys, I just lent my Virtua Stick God Grade to my friend so he can use it at Final Round. (he doesn't have a PS3, but all of the new games at FR are using the PS3).

Not ot mention that he's making the trip down to Georgia from NY.
I feel like a part of me is missing. u_u

My friend has had my VSHG for like 2 months now, I MISS MY VSHG :(

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I have lost faith that my SFIV TE Stick will ever come from LizardLick. I got in and paid right at the start and my stick is yet to ship. :(

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
alright with time running out fast on lizardlick and the unavailability on TE sticks, i guess i will buy some parts for my EX2. I searched but cant seem to find the kind of sanwa buttons to get. There are a bunch of different versions:
  • Sanwa OBSF-30 Pushbutton
  • Sanwa OBSN-30 Pushbutton
  • Sanwa OBSF-24 Pushbutton
  • Sanwa OBSN-24 Pushbutton
  • Sanwa SDM-20 Pushbutton
  • Sanwa SDM-18 Pushbutton

The Sanwa OBSF-30 says "compatible with SF4 sticks!" but i dont know if that also means compatible with EX2. help please!

bistromathics said:
alright with time running out fast on lizardlick and the unavailability on TE sticks, i guess i will buy some parts for my EX2. I searched but cant seem to find the kind of sanwa buttons to get. There are a bunch of different versions:
  • Sanwa OBSF-30 Pushbutton
  • Sanwa OBSN-30 Pushbutton
  • Sanwa OBSF-24 Pushbutton
  • Sanwa OBSN-24 Pushbutton
  • Sanwa SDM-20 Pushbutton
  • Sanwa SDM-18 Pushbutton

The Sanwa OBSF-30 says "compatible with SF4 sticks!" but i dont know if that also means compatible with EX2. help please!
30mm buttons will work. Sanwa OBSN-30, OBSF-30, and Seimitsu PS-14-G and PS-14-GN

You'll have to grind the tabs in the button holes on the top metal plate of the ex2 and modify the button's prongs to fit in the case, but I'm sure online tutorials cover that.

Naka

Yes Boss! said:
Do you have a Gamecrazy near you? Mine here in Aliso Viejo CA opened two for customers to play with in the store. If by the (infinitely small chance) that you live in south Orange County head to that shop to try it out!

But trust me, you will like it and it is well worth the $150.

That's awesome news considering that's down the street from me. Thanks for that info, I'm going to check them out this weekend.

Baron

Haha, Akihabara shut down too? that is hilarious.

Kinda sucks, I'm right in the middle of modding a Wii stick that has nothing to do with SF4 whatsoever and now I have to put it on hold...but ten days isn't much of a wait. Damn you, Street Fighter 4!

I'm actually re-doing the first Wii stick I modded - looking back now after doing the second one, the wiring is totally sub-par, and I hate the red buttons now that I think of it. I only really used them because I had an extra set of OBSF-30s I intended for a HRAP EX...but I wound up getting an HRAP EX-SE instead and not needing them. I've decided I wanted to redo this one with an Astro City-like green theme but with white-rimmed buttons and green plungers like the two-toned Seimitsu white/pinks on my second stick.

Trouble is, I want to go Sanwa on this one and Sanwa doesn't make two-toned buttons. I have to get both white and green OBSF-30s and swap out the plungers between each. Anybody want a two-toned Sanwa button set with green rims and white plungers? Maybe when I'm done I'll offer them up for sale, as surely someone in the world would have a use for that color combo, and having to buy 16 buttons for this...ugh.

Just got this from lizardlick:

We are currently behind schedule, but are taking measures to get caught up. If your order is less than 3 weeks old and you have not received a shipping confirmation from PayPal, we ask that you bear with us while we try to catch up.

Another issue is that Sanwa is out of stock of the JLF series joysticks. If you placed an order for a JLF stick past Feb. 18, as a default we will ship your order without the JLF and refund you the cost of this item. These will be available for re-order in April. Another option is that you can switch to a Seimitsu LS-32-01. If you'd like to do this, we need for you to forward (as opposed to cut & paste or attach) your confirmation email from PayPal along with the stick change info at the top and we will try to take care of it.

We apologize for the delay, we will get your order out just as soon as we can.

In anycase, how is the Seimitsu LS-32-01, should I swap that out for the Sawna JLF series. Since Akihabara (sp?) is not taking orders I might as well stick with Lizard Lick.

PS: Is ANYBODY HERE WILLING TO PART WITH A SAWNA JLF that's mod friendly with a MadCatz SE fightstick? I'm willing to pay well for it (well, at least a bit more than what they run for on arcade part websites) thats new/relatively unused/good shape.

Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku! said:
jlf_faq_8y_sk_thumb.jpg

Is this compatible with the SE stick? (JLF-TP-8Y-SK).

I found one @ play and trade today so now i gotta mod it up :D
It should be compatible but you need a mounting plate to screw the stick it into the case. Maybe you could unscrew and reuse the stock Madcatz stick's mounting plate?

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
polyh3dron said:
Play-Asia has the HRAP3 in stock for 99.90 + shipping FYI.
Did they actually have it in stock earlier? I just checked now and the site says it is backordered and it has done every time I've checked for the past few weeks.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
_dementia said:
It should be compatible but you need a mounting plate to screw the stick it into the case. Maybe you could unscrew and reuse the stock Madcatz stick's mounting plate?
You can do this but your chances of getting the mounting plate of the stock stick are slim.

Clipper

C- Warrior said:
Just got this bullshit from lizardlick:

We are currently behind schedule, but are taking measures to get caught up. If your order is less than 3 weeks old and you have not received a shipping confirmation from PayPal, we ask that you bear with us while we try to catch up.

Another issue is that Sanwa is out of stock of the JLF series joysticks. If you placed an order for a JLF stick past Feb. 18, as a default we will ship your order without the JLF and refund you the cost of this item. These will be available for re-order in April. Another option is that you can switch to a Seimitsu LS-32-01. If you'd like to do this, we need for you to forward (as opposed to cut & paste or attach) your confirmation email from PayPal along with the stick change info at the top and we will try to take care of it.

Not only that -- I had to send him an email as to why my order is almost 3 weeks delayed, and now he tells me half of it won't be showing up? Thanks, if I know earlier I would have just cancelled the fuckin order and ordered somewhere else.

In anycase, how is the Seimitsu LS-32-01, should I swap that out for the Sawna JLF series. Since Akihabara (sp?) is not taking orders I might as well stick with Lizard Lick.

PS: Is ANYBODY HERE WILLING TO PART WITH A SAWNA JLF that's mod friendly with a MadCatz SE fightstick? I'm willing to pay well for it (well, at least a bit more than what they run for on arcade part websites) thats new/relatively unused/good shape.

Perhaps the delay was because they got confused about what you wanted. Mate, it's Sanwa, not Sawna :p. You make this mistake every time.

Seriously, though... The seimitsu stick is meant to be pretty good. It is widely regarded as the second best stick in existence. It has a shorter throw, less deadzone and is a bit stiffer. It's also meant to be perfect for shmups. Here's what the Shoryuken Sanwa vs. Seimitsu thread has to say:

Q: Which Sanwa or Seimitsu joystick is the best for fighting games?
A: I know it’s getting redundant but once again it all comes down to preference. The two most popular joysticks for fighters are the Sanwa JLF series and the Seimitsu LS-32 series, but then there’s a lot of support for the Sanwa JLW series as well as the other Seimitsu series like the LS-40 or LS-55 series.

Although I will not make a definitive statement on which stick is better or the best, I will outline the differences between the two companies’ flagship joysticks.

The Sanwa JLF is the most popular Japanese style joystick. It goes against the standard levered microswitches found in nearly every other joystick manufactured by any company. The JLF microswitches are connected to a PCB with a 5-pin output. Comes stock with a square gate for 8-way operation but can be turned 45 degrees for 4-way operation.

The Seimitsu LS-32/LS-32-01 is the second most popular Japanese style joystick. It has traditional levered microswitches that either have tabs for .187” quick disconnects (LS-32) or are connected to a PCB with a 5-pin output (LS-32-01). The LS-32 series has a harder spring for greater tension and resistance as well as a shorter throw and smaller deadzone. Comes stock with a restrictor plate that can be adjusted to 2-way, 4-way, or 8-way operation. In terms of price, the LS-32/LS-32-01 is around half the price give or take.

For the stick I'm modding, I decided to go with Seimitsu (thankfully ordered two days ago on Akihabara before they shut down). It's much cheaper than the Sanwa JLF, and by all accounts is nearly as good. I'd accept the offer.

Davidion

C- Warrior said:
Just got this from lizardlick:

I actually am planning on modding my HRAP 3 with a Seimitsu stick. I wasn't thinking about selling the JLF that I'm replacing but if you're interested, I'd be open to letting it go.

Baron

I just bought a new soldering iron off Amazon this week - it replaces a $7 iron I got from Radio Shack a while back that has outworn its welcome. The new iron is an $80 Weller unit with a melt-proof cord, interchangeable tips, nice holder, and separate power source with adjustable temperature output. It's quite sweet, and I look forward to using it with my current stick mod projects.

One of the reasons I bought it is because I've been throwing about the idea of installing a Wii Remote inside a Wii Hori Fighting Stick - cutting a hole for the infrared camera and installing A&B buttons on the front, so the stick could be held and used like a remote for starting games and the like. I've been using the stick with the remote attached lately and it's really annoying being tethered to the device. This mod would make the stick essentially a self-contained remote and stick combined. Still ruminating on possibilities and methods, though. Anyone have any ideas?

Geezer said:
Did they actually have it in stock earlier? I just checked now and the site says it is backordered and it has done every time I've checked for the past few weeks.

I checked almost everyday (a few times a day) and I never seen it in stock for a while. I got lucky and found one locally on the cheap.

One thing I noticed that is that my first HRAP3 has a non glossy face, and the newest one I picked up has a glossy face. When did they change that?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Mattlikewhoa said:
One thing I noticed that is that my first HRAP3 has a non glossy face, and the newest one I picked up has a glossy face. When did they change that?

Pics of yours? I want to see what you're talking about..

Baron

phez said:
... most (if not all) soldering irons do have replaceable tips?

Most do, yes - I should have been more specific - the Radio Shack iron has a replaceable tip as well - but only the exact tip being replaced, which is a blunt instrument not meant for precision at all. The new iron I got has a much wider variety of tips, many of much finer size than was available to me with the RS one.

Davidion

vertopci said:
Just finished modding my second HRAP3 :D

IMG_0446v2.jpg

That stick on the left is exactly how I wanted to mod my HRAP originally, before deciding on a full color-change as well. Damn how I wish you had shown this picture earlier. BASTARD! >:eek:

Baron said:
One of the reasons I bought it is because I've been throwing about the idea of installing a Wii Remote inside a Wii Hori Fighting Stick - cutting a hole for the infrared camera and installing A&B buttons on the front, so the stick could be held and used like a remote for starting games and the like. I've been using the stick with the remote attached lately and it's really annoying being tethered to the device. This mod would make the stick essentially a self-contained remote and stick combined. Still ruminating on possibilities and methods, though. Anyone have any ideas?

By hard-modding a remote into the stick, you lose a free remote, plus you'd have to move the entire stick housing around to aim, which I can't imagine being anything but awkward.

Why don't you just install a cradle or build a slot in the housing of the stick where you can stash the remote? If you're really feeling saucy, shorten the cable so it tucks into the housing without having any excessive wiring hanging out. This way, you lose the encumbrance of having a dangling remote and gain a storage space for a single remote

Baron

Davidion said:
By hard-modding a remote into the stick, you lose a free remote, plus you'd have to move the entire stick housing around to aim, which I can't imagine being anything but awkward.

Why don't you just install a cradle or build a slot in the housing of the stick where you can stash the remote? If you're really feeling saucy, shorten the cable so it tucks into the housing without having any excessive wiring hanging out. This way, you lose the encumbrance of having a dangling remote and gain a storage space for a single remote

If I do this at all, it'll be a full-on mod with the remote inside, not a cradle of some sort - which I thought about. Would it be awkward to use the stick as a remote? Believe me, try sitting there trying to use the stick for a few shmup sessions, constantly having to fiddle with finding a place to put the remote so it doesn't slide onto the floor, or the awkwardness of having to switch between the two when starting/leaving a game. I would argue my idea would be less awkward. I've picked up the stick and made like I was aiming it as a remote, and it's not heavy or bulky at all - I think it'd work great. I wouldn't be playing full-on games with it - it'd just be for starting and leaving games and brief navigation issues with the Wii interface. And the expense of an extra remote - $35 at Amazon right now - is a pittance compared to the greater than $1K I've spent the last year on sticks alone, not even going into parts or supplies.

The only thing I'm thinking about now with putting the remote in the stick is having to desolder and re-orient both the IR camera and the accelerometer from the remote PCB onto their own little PCB facing a different direction which is an intricate soldering job. I would have to do this only because a lack of space in the case demands the remote PCB be oriented perpendicular (horizontally) inside the stick, and the camera might be tied to the accelerometer as being oriented a certain way, and to defeat this I'd have to remove them from the remote to orient them properly with the direction the stick would face.

Mattlikewhoa said:
I checked almost everyday (a few times a day) and I never seen it in stock for a while. I got lucky and found one locally on the cheap.

plastic film still on one?:lol

ordered a GT-Y and some sanwa buttons from lizardlick on march 7th....yeah i'm fucked lol

sucks :(

Yes Boss!

MarkMan said:
Pics of yours? I want to see what you're talking about..

MarkMan,

They definitely made the newer HRAP3s with a glossier finish. My old one from two years ago has a softish matted finish that warps if the bolts are too tight. Compare the below pic to the one from a few posts back.

Also, got back from a two-day party in LA at a friends with a lot of SFIV. Brought a bunch of my high-end sticks and the general consensus was that the TE was the best of the bunch! Anecdotal but just wanted to let you know!

P1000185.jpg

Gantz

Banned
How are you guys holding your arcade sticks? Anyone have any diagrams or pictures of you should hold an arcade stick especially ones with ball tops? :lol

Chittagong

Gold Member
Has anyone found an OSX driver for the 360 SFIV TE stick? Would be so perfect for retro gaming. The Colin Munro driver doesn't seem to register it, the ring just flashes once I plug the controller in, then nothing.

Davidion

Baron said:
If I do this at all, it'll be a full-on mod with the remote inside, not a cradle of some sort - which I thought about. Would it be awkward to use the stick as a remote? Believe me, try sitting there trying to use the stick for a few shmup sessions, constantly having to fiddle with finding a place to put the remote so it doesn't slide onto the floor, or the awkwardness of having to switch between the two when starting/leaving a game. I would argue my idea would be less awkward. I've picked up the stick and made like I was aiming it as a remote, and it's not heavy or bulky at all - I think it'd work great. I wouldn't be playing full-on games with it - it'd just be for starting and leaving games and brief navigation issues with the Wii interface. And the expense of an extra remote - $35 at Amazon right now - is a pittance compared to the greater than $1K I've spent the last year on sticks alone, not even going into parts or supplies.

The only thing I'm thinking about now with putting the remote in the stick is having to desolder and re-orient both the IR camera and the accelerometer from the remote PCB onto their own little PCB facing a different direction which is an intricate soldering job. I would have to do this only because a lack of space in the case demands the remote PCB be oriented perpendicular (horizontally) inside the stick, and the camera might be tied to the accelerometer as being oriented a certain way, and to defeat this I'd have to remove them from the remote to orient them properly with the direction the stick would face.

Wow, that's impressive. :lol

I was going to suggest that you do a full on job of stripping the PCB from the remote next but it looks like you've already beat me to it. Looking at the internal layout, it looks like the only way you'd be able to fit that PCB without rotating it perpendicularly to the stick is to tuck it in on the right side, which may involve you having to actually cut a slot on the upper right corner of the stick.

Either way, it looks like a hell of a mod job. Best of luck if you can sort it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom