• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baron

Davidion said:
Wow, that's impressive. :lol

That was just an estimate off the top of my head - I just did the math and found I spent just under $1,000 on sticks over the last 12 months. That makes me feel a bit better, but not by much. My wife thinks I have two less HRAPs than the four I actually own - I'd like to keep it that way. :D

milkham

Yes Boss! said:
MarkMan,

They definitely made the newer HRAP3s with a glossier finish. My old one from two years ago has a softish matted finish that warps if the bolts are too tight. Compare the below pic to the one from a few posts back.

Also, got back from a two-day party in LA at a friends with a lot of SFIV. Brought a bunch of my high-end sticks and the general consensus was that the TE was the best of the bunch! Anecdotal but just wanted to let you know!

I just got one recently, I think the glossy part is just a plastic sticker, mine is peeling up in one of the corners already.

Decado

Where can I buy a Xbox or PS2 to 360 or PS3 converter in Canada? I found my old Soul Calibur 2 arcade stick. It isn't very good, but it is MUCH better than using the controller.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Baron said:
That was just an estimate off the top of my head - I just did the math and found I spent just under $1,000 on sticks over the last 12 months. That makes me feel a bit better, but not by much. My wife thinks I have two less HRAPs than the four I actually own - I'd like to keep it that way. :D
You might as well build an arcade cabinet at this point. I'm surprised no one has posted a DIY SFIV cab in this thread yet.

Yes Boss!

Arcade Shock is now taking preorders for HRAPs for the 360 and PS3. They are claiming a July release and using the same dodgy wording they used last fall about being first to get them.

Personally, I cancelled my last order with them because of the run around so I'd rather wait for Amazon to get another refresh. But here are the links:

360:

http://www.arcadeshock.com/items/pr...de-pro-ex-for-xbox-360-horixboxpro-detail.htm

PS3:

http://www.arcadeshock.com/items/pr...ny-ps3-pre-order-hrap3-accessories-detail.htm

Also, and GAFers snag a Norris yesterday? I didn't even try but they are saying now they have halted restocks till further notice. Bummer.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Eh, I have a question. I found a Hori Fighting Stick for the Saturn at good Will for $3, is there any way I can make it usable on a system I own, like my Gamecube, PS2, 360?

Drkirby said:
Eh, I have a question. I found a Hori Fighting Stick for the Saturn at good Will for $3, is there any way I can make it usable on a system I own, like my Gamecube, PS2, 360?
Yes. You'd have to gut a controller of the corresponding console and rewire it to the stick.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
_dementia said:
Yes. You'd have to gut a controller of the corresponding console and rewire it to the stick.
Could I use that cheap $10 Madcatz Arcade stick the 360 and use it? And any specific links to help me?

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Can someone please give me some info on what I should expect after placing a Lizard Lick order? I ordered some parts on March 1st and I've yet to receive any sort of email. The only thing I have is the history of the payment in my Paypal account. Should I have received something by now? Or, do they only respond once the parts have shipped? Does anyone know?

h3ro

Minotauro said:
Can someone please give me some info on what I should expect after placing a Lizard Lick order? I ordered some parts on March 1st and I've yet to receive any sort of email. The only thing I have is the history of the payment in my Paypal account. Should I have received something by now? Or, do they only respond once the parts have shipped? Does anyone know?

Chad at LL has stopped taking orders until April so he can catch up with back orders. I placed my order on Feb 18th and got it last week, so you shouldn't be too far off.

knitoe

Took only 12 days (ordered to delivered) from akihabarashop.jp, but finally put in octagon gate. Now, I can enjoy SFIV.

21_1.jpg

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Alright, I'll look into that more later in the week when I have some more free time.

One more question, anyone think its possible for me to somehow map the turbo switches to buttons? Something tells me it can't be, or that you may need to see the insides to be certain, but here are a few pictures I took:

stick1.jpg

stick2.jpg

Would like to map something to the Center button, Start and Select, but I don't want to use one of the main 8 buttons to do it, and only have the one start button.

Sh0k

Drkirby said:
Could I use that cheap $10 Madcatz Arcade stick the 360 and use it? And any specific links to help me?

That's what I'm using in both of my self made joysticks and I have no problems at all.

Minotauro

h3ro said:
Chad at LL has stopped taking orders until April so he can catch up with back orders. I placed my order on Feb 18th and got it last week, so you shouldn't be too far off.

Did you get any sort of confirmation email or something between ordering and shipping though? I just wanna make sure my order was properly submitted considering I've heard nothing...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You know, just to save time, I think I am going to just take the Madcatz arcade stick I have now and use its PBC, and get anther one. Makes a good controller for people I don't like :lol

Minotauro said:
Cancel it. I placed an order February 25 and never heard anything from them, and only after emailing them multiple times did I find out they don't have my parts. What parts did you order? If it's a Sanwa stick or Sanwa buttons, don't even bother with LL.

Minotauro

omgimaninja said:
Cancel it. I placed an order February 25 and never heard anything from them, and only after emailing them multiple times did I find out they don't have my parts. What parts did you order? If it's a Sanwa stick or Sanwa buttons, don't even bother with LL.

I did order some Sanwa buttons. Dammit, that's not good to hear...especially since I've been waiting two weeks already. I think I'll give them a call to check on the status...

h3ro

Minotauro said:
Did you get any sort of confirmation email or something between ordering and shipping though? I just wanna make sure my order was properly submitted considering I've heard nothing...

When I first placed the order, I got a Paypal confirmation and didn't get anything until I got a shipping notice, also from Paypal, a few days before it arrived.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, looks like I can't get my Madcatz Arcade stick open with the screw drivers I have ^_^;

Guess I'll wait till later in the week and see if Home Depot or Radio shack has the size I need, and I can just read up on the stuff some more. The Hori stick its self is really simple, shame that I know the 360 PBC will be nowhere nearly as simplistic.

Sh0k

Minotauro said:

I placed an order for some HAPP parts with Lizard Lick on Feb 24th and still haven't received a shipping confirmation, all I got was an e-mail confirmation through PayPal that they got the payment, but that's about it. I emailed them around three times, in two weeks, I got an answer last week telling me that they are backed up and to please be patient.

If you go to the Shoryuken.com forums, they say that right now they are working and shipping orders for the 19th of February, so I guess is another week or week and a half for my order to ship, add two more weeks for yours. If I don't get a confirmation by the end of this week, I will cancel my order.

CPS2

Router said:
I have lost faith that my SFIV TE Stick will ever come from LizardLick. I got in and paid right at the start and my stick is yet to ship. :(

Nobody has gotten sticks from there yet. It says on the lizardlick website that their shipment will arrive in the first week of April, it's said that for ages.

Drkirby said:
Well, looks like I can't get my Madcatz Arcade stick open with the screw drivers I have ^_^;

Guess I'll wait till later in the week and see if Home Depot or Radio shack has the size I need, and I can just read up on the stuff some more. The Hori stick its self is really simple, shame that I know the 360 PBC will be nowhere nearly as simplistic.

The PCB work for the Madcatz arcade stick (or the cheap gamestop branded pads) is really not too hard if you have ok soldering skills. I've only done guitar wiring before and I found the process pretty easy, minus getting the triggers to work (although this should be easier since you have a madcatz arcade stick as opposed to the pad that I used). Also you can skip the triggers since they really aren't needed for any games.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yah, I am going to skip the triggers, and just going to map A, B, X, Y, RB, LB, Start, Back, and Home. Just a few questions first. Each direction of the arcade stick has 2 wires, but it looks like there is only 1 solder point, so what do I solder the second cable to? Also, there seems to be a single grounding cable for all the buttons, where would I solder that? And would each button's wire just be soldered to the single point on the pads PCB?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
omgimaninja said:

Wait, there's a shortage on the buttons as well? I knew about the stick problems so I switched my order to a Seimitsu. Is Sanwa themselves out of supply on the buttons??

Minotauro

Sh0k said:
I placed an order for some HAPP parts with Lizard Lick on Feb 24th and still haven't received a shipping confirmation, all I got was an e-mail confirmation through PayPal that they got the payment, but that's about it. I emailed them around three times, in two weeks, I got an answer last week telling me that they are backed up and to please be patient.

If you go to the Shoryuken.com forums, they say that right now they are working and shipping orders for the 19th of February, so I guess is another week or week and a half for my order to ship, add two more weeks for yours. If I don't get a confirmation by the end of this week, I will cancel my order.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

I have to say though, I'm getting pretty antsy. If they're this behind, I would imagine that means most of the online retailers are. That said, does anyone have an alternative to LL that they can recommend?

Drkirby said:
Yah, I am going to skip the triggers, and just going to map A, B, X, Y, RB, LB, Start, Back, and Home. Just a few questions first. Each direction of the arcade stick has 2 wires, but it looks like there is only 1 solder point, so what do I solder the second cable to? Also, there seems to be a single grounding cable for all the buttons, where would I solder that? And would each button's wire just be soldered to the single point on the pads PCB?

So I'm pretty sure that the Madcatz arcade stick PCB that you are using is a common ground. So basically you just need to route all the grounds (those being one of the two wires from each joystick direction and the single grounding cable from the buttons) to some common location (I like a euro style terminal strip and use little wire bits to connect one entire side of the strip) and then route one wire from that strip to a single grounding location on the PCB. For the grounding location just pick the non-signal side for any button location on the PCB, just use whatever you can reach easy. And yeah, for each button and direction just wire it to the single location on the PCB after you have the grounds hooked up.

Just make sure to use a little multimeter to test all your parts and the PCB as you go along and you should be fine. And take a little time to figure out how you are going to organize things my stick looks like a freaking rat's nest with wires all over the place.

SpectreRT

Hey all,

I am attempting to solder my PSX PCB and 360 PCB to have a dual-use stick.

Problem is, i absolutely suck with a soldering iron.

Anyone have tips/tricks that has done this?

Found a PS3 Madcatz Fightstick SE at the local Game Crazy on Saturday. I wish Akihabara wasn't so backlogged...as I want to swap out the buttons and stick.

I think my next stick may be a mod job...after seeing Baron's work recently. Have no clue and never soldered...but I guess I can read up on it.

Yes Boss!

Spiderjericho said:
I think my next stick may be a mod job...after seeing Baron's work recently. Have no clue and never soldered...but I guess I can read up on it.

It is fairly easy. I don't even use a solder suck to remove the solder and just reuse the solder that is already there, then add on top of it. It is not like the old days where the tips were massive and you had to add the rosin as you soldered.

SpectreRT

Superblatt said:
So does anyone know where's the best place to find or order a TE stick?

Basically no where.

Call stores at random, and look for more in April. They are supposed to be restocked around that time.

milkham

Minotauro said:
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

I have to say though, I'm getting pretty antsy. If they're this behind, I would imagine that means most of the online retailers are. That said, does anyone have an alternative to LL that they can recommend?

akihabara shop has shut down too but i think they're closer to getting back on track than lizard lick is, also, sanwa has run out of JLFs so once people run out of stock thats gonna be it for a while. Laugh over at SRK has jlfs and sanwa buttons but only in one color and his JLF has no mounting plate.

Wow, akihabarashop sent me my confirmation of shipment last Saturday and the parts showed up on my doorstep earlier today! :O

dstesticksls3201.jpg

Hello Seimitsu LS-32-01 and skeleton buttons. :D

dstesticksls3202.jpg

dstesticksls3203.jpg

Just waiting on the wife to do her photoshop magic to my template and my orange vinyl paint to finish up the job. ^^

Clipper

donkey show said:
http://www.daviddino.com/dstesticksls3201.jpg

Hello Seimitsu LS-32-01 and skeleton buttons. :D
You stole my colour scheme... Those are the exact same parts I have on order from Akihabara Shop!

Well, technically I got the LS32 due to not having the 5-pin connector on my stick, but it's still freaky.

Did they pre-install the bubble ball onto your stick or did you just do that for the pic?

Clipper said:
You stole my colour scheme... Those are the exact same parts I have on order from Akihabara Shop!

Well, technically I got the LS32 due to not having the 5-pin connector on my stick, but it's still freaky.

Did they pre-install the bubble ball onto your stick or did you just do that for the pic?
LOL, good taste my man. :D

It's kinda rocking a neogaf color scheme at the moment. :lol Anyway, I did put the balltop on for the pic. I have so many extra balltops laying around it's ridiculous.

So far, these are all my current gen sticks besides my 2 Wii Hori Fighting Sticks.

dssticks1.jpg

I wanna rock an HRAP EX to accompany my 360 stick, but wow at all the price jumps lately.

Durandal

Banned
YES! YES! YES!

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

Got to redo the art job on the weekend but for now its on!

Edit: Seimitsu LS-32-01 / PS-14´s KN (No need to dremel the A button btw.)

Dear arcade stick gurus, what is the difference between the sanwa stick used in the Virtua Stick High Grade and the one in the new HRAP3? When I tried it, it seems that the stick feels ever so slightly sharper on the HRAP3 and slightly duller on the VSHG. I thought they were both the same stick?

Thank you!

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
So apparently my TE stick order from Capcom is not eligible for a refund. I guess I'll get it whenever the fuck they send it to me and it'll probably go up either on eBay or maybe the buy/sell/trade thread. Uggggghhh. Why they charged when they couldn't ship it is beyond me. Was anyone here able to cancel their Capcom/Digital River order?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Alright, just want to make sure I have everything right.

To start with, here is how the stick looks like inside:
stick3.jpg

stick4.jpg

The PCB I want to use is this one, the Xbox 360 Mad Catz Arcade Stick:
http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_diagrams/360_diagram2.jpg

So, from what I have gathered, I am going to have to cut off the little plug things holding the wires together for the Control stick and Buttons , figure out which is the ground (Looks like the 8 buttons share the same ground while each direction has its own), and solder it to the correct points on the 360 PCB. My guess would be that I would solder the ground for the buttons to to ground point next to the Right Button Solder point, but where would I solder the grounds for the control stick? Also, from what I have gathered, I am going to have to make the analog sticks and trigger neutral with some 5k resister (And I am guessing I would need 6?).

And am I over looking any thing?

Drkirby said:
Alright, just want to make sure I have everything right.

To start with, here is how the stick looks like inside:

The PCB I want to use is this one, the Xbox 360 Mad Catz Arcade Stick:
http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_diagrams/360_diagram2.jpg

So, from what I have gathered, I am going to have to cut off the little plug things holding the wires together for the Control stick and Buttons , figure out which is the ground (Looks like the 8 buttons share the same ground while each direction has its own), and solder it to the correct points on the 360 PCB. My guess would be that I would solder the ground for the buttons to to ground point next to the Right Button Solder point, but where would I solder the grounds for the control stick? Also, from what I have gathered, I am going to have to make the analog sticks and trigger neutral with some 5k resister (And I am guessing I would need 6?).

And am I over looking any thing?

Seems like you have most of it down right. A couple quick notes (on the bolded parts) the grounds for the control stick can all go to the same location as the button ground (or any other ground that in convenient) my recommendation is to route the button and directional grounds to some location outside of the PCB (like a terminal strip) then just route one wire from that location to any ground location on the PCB. As a side note I would recommend considering using one of the directional grounds on the PCB as opposed to the Start button ground they are alot easier to solder to without those interlocking contact strips that the buttons have.

Also if you remove the analog sticks and have your PCB anchored securely you can get away without neutralizing the triggers and stick, just make sure they won't get bumped or pressed by anything in the box and just leave'em on. Probably better to neutralize, but it will save you some soldering if you so desire.

gokieks

NameGenerated said:
So apparently my TE stick order from Capcom is not eligible for a refund. I guess I'll get it whenever the fuck they send it to me and it'll probably go up either on eBay or maybe the buy/sell/trade thread. Uggggghhh. Why they charged when they couldn't ship it is beyond me. Was anyone here able to cancel their Capcom/Digital River order?

I was able to cancel my TE order from them maybe a week and a half or so ago. They should be able to let you cancel it - I just requested it from the online CS contact form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom