• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #190 - "Self-Loathing" or "You Can Lead..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangent

Theme: (a) Self-Loathing or (b) You can lead a horse to water but...

Word Limit: 2,000 words.

Submission Deadline: Friday, June 10th, 11:59pm pacific

Voting Deadline: Monday, June 13th 11:59pm pacific

Secondary: Also two choices!! (a) Confessional writing style or (b) Adopting horror writing word choice

(a) I haven't read Jamison's stuff but here, she describes how her writing can seem self-indulgent, but it actually connects with a broad audience. Here's a bit about confessional poetry.

(b) Consider the impact of horror writing where word choice doesn't just describe the environment neutrally. Instead, horror's word choice also describes how almost every detail of the environment directly impacts the emotions of a character. I may not be describing this well (this is why I need to practice this!) but this Writing Excuses episode describes the horror writing example much more eloquently, and with other examples such as how drawings in comics serve multiple purposes. The whole idea is to minimize your word count by having the most bang for your buck with each word you choose.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
<cue Damon Killian voice> Then don't decide!*

Do a combo in four parts 1a,1b,2a,2b. Or use all four at once!

*obscure Running Man reference.

You said this as a joke, but honestly every time I try something, it quickly turns into doing both the secondaries. This whole challenge is proving tougher than I originally thought...

Cyan

Banned
And we're go in about half an hour. Standard quick recap: it's on Google Hangouts, and the format is ten minutes of chat, then thirty minutes of writing with mics muted, repeated until we've gone for two hours. Webcams aren't required, though several of us will have them. Mics are recommended but also not required, as you can use the text chat.

The hangout link is (quote to see):

FlowersisBritish

Good news for my enemies. Cant be to the hangout(which are rad and more people should come) so feel free to show up and talk smack about me

Mike M

Nick N
Ah, screw it I'll just write a story about horses.

Then I guess I'll go with drinking.

KQzNAM7.gif

Nezumi

OK, unless there's a minor miracle I think I'm out for this challenge. I just don't have anything resembling a story idea and the weekend is going to be super busy. I'll still try but it is not looking good :(

Nezumi

I'll try... but I really have nothing to work with here and my time is running low. Well maybe if I can convince my husband that he drives tomorrow I can whip something up on the two hour drive...

Red

I'll try... but I really have nothing to work with here and my time is running low. Well maybe if I can convince my husband that he drives tomorrow I can whip something up on the two hour drive...

fwiw, I haven't had much time either and am unhappy with my story so far, but I'm following the example set by you and the other regulars and plan to submit anyway.

Nezumi

I think I'll just write a little piece about my new character for the next PbP-GAF campaign. Now I only have to find a way to fit it into one of the themes... hmmm...

Edit: Ooh, now I finally thought of something! Last minute Saturday morning writing here I come!

FlowersisBritish

fwiw, I haven't had much time either and am unhappy with my story so far, but I'm following the example set by you and the other regulars and plan to submit anyway.

I mean we can't always be happy with what we put out here. I know I'm not with tons of my entries. That's why I'm always so appreciative of feedback, it helps me improve afterwards when i have all the time in the world rather than just a week in a half. Speaking of unhappy entries...

Ash Furred Dogs of Midel - 2000 words.

Also Ashes how are your eyes? I increased my font size and spacing incase they were still dying?

Ashes

Banned
Also Ashes how are your eyes? I increased my font size and spacing incase they were still dying?

It's better. I have to frequent away from screens to avoid eye strain, but at least I am not waking up with my eye lids stuck to my eyeballs.

Thanks. It really does help a lot. If you're ever passing through London town, remind me to buy you a round.

Tangent

Two themes and two secondaries? But I'm terrible at making decicions :(

As you can see, so am I. :(

<cue Damon Killian voice> Then don't decide!*

Do a combo in four parts 1a,1b,2a,2b. Or use all four at once!

*obscure Running Man reference.
Yes!! I thought of this and the combo possibilities will be awesome.

I can't even lead a horse to water, honestly.
This made me laugh out loud which never happens, every other Friday night!

It's the way to go! It also defeats perfectionism!

Nezumi

Tiny Rebellion (around 800 words)
Can someone check whether the link is working? I'm on mobile and the whole process was a bit wonky.

Also, made it before the official deadline, woot!

mu cephei

You said this as a joke, but honestly every time I try something, it quickly turns into doing both the secondaries. This whole challenge is proving tougher than I originally thought...

Yes!! I thought of this and the combo possibilities will be awesome.

Yeah, mine was kind of wavering between the two secondaries for a while, and I actually did think about trying the four-way combo, I'm just too lazy!

Now Red's tag has to be changed to Cyan.

lol. Though Red's tag is funny, it makes me wonder just what he gets up to in other GAF places...

FlowersisBritish

I think I've messed up working out the time zone difference. Is it too late to post a story?

Go ahead, while some may consider it ineligible, we all are a pretty forgiving bunch in regards to the deadlines here. Word limits are where we get stingy. I can't speak for everyone, but I'll read it and give it a vote if I like it enough. In general, we all like to read so throw it into the pile.

Mike M

Nick N
I don't disqualify anyone who enters late if only because otherwise there would be only three valid entries and one of them would be me : P

Nezumi

Same here. It'd be pretty hypocritical of me to ignore people who run a little late. If your story is there when I'm doing my readthrough it's eligible in my book.

Ashes

Banned
Oh never mind then.. for some reason I thought there was going to be no leeway on the deadline this week.

Nezumi

Oh never mind then.. for some reason I thought there was going to be no leeway on the deadline this week.

And here I was thinking you were trying out a new method to avoid making a new thread in case all of us love your story too much :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom