• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF FEBRUARY 2016 Pick-Up Post! Show Us Your Gaming Goods + MORE! (REAL PICS ONLY)

Q5Kvgc4.jpg

I had reward zone certificates and got both of these for free.

Justinh

I got the Design Works for Dark Souls 2. I already had the first game's and I like looking at it from time to time so I got the second game's, too. I already had REmake and RE0 on Gamecube, and REmake digitally on Xbox One, but I wanted a physical copy too. Got Pikmin 3 last month actually, but I forgot to post it in last month's thread. I've always been curious about The Simpsons game. Thought I'd just finally buy it. Haven't played it much, but it's aight. This is my third copy of Bayonetta now. I already had it digitally on Xbox 360 and also the copy that came with Bayonetta 2. I just wanted a physical copy. Ghostbusters - I actually had this for years. I loaned it to my dad years ago and their damn dog chewed up the cover. What I picked up this month was just the cover art from bresoftware and put it in a spare case.

Dammit. I forgot to take a picture of Resident Evil 2 for Gamecube. That just came in today.

Got these PBT keycaps today. They feel way more different than I was expecting. I felt nitpicky for being upset that the CAPS LOCK key wasn't stepped, but because it wasn't stepped it doesn't fit with my keyboard and I have to use the old one. It really, really bothers me and I might actually switch back.

I also replaced the cable with a newer, braided one. The old one was working fine, but scratched in areas which bothered me. Thing that sucks about this new one is that I got it from a MW2 360 controller, so it has that damn breakaway thing. I hate that thing and it really has no place on a keyboard.
Not sure why I bought this. I have the Atari Flashbacks 2, 2 (deluxe), and 4+ and I barely play those. I assume this will be a similar case. Just an impulse Wal-Mart buy.
Got this after the cowboom promo code thread. Looks great for "fine" condition, but it didn't really work (kept randomly shutting off and corrupting downloads) until I replaced the hard drive. Can't really be too mad, since it was only like... 200 smackaroos.

Man, I really need to start taking pics in better light.
Oh yeah:
This came late last month. I was using a cheap walmart bookcase that just wasn't good for games. This one works much better, but I haven't figured out how I want to organize it yet, so it's still kinda sloppy. I think I'm gonna keep the Criterion discs on top, though...
I got a new Midori Traveler's Notebook. I got the regular, larger one this time. The one on the left is my old, Passport-sized one. I need to figure out something nice to hang from that bookmark string thingy. Oh, I got a new pen, too.

I bought a bunch of Blu-rays today, and a Superman: The Movie lunch box.

I got everything besides the Batman movie collection at a flea market. The guy at the flea market I bought the Blu-rays from gave me the Super Friends DVD for free for buying so many movies. That Superman lunch box goes for around $100 online, but I got it for $5. It's a bit rusty, though.

fsFyxM8.jpg

Headphones and stand.

Stand is actually too small for the thickness of my desk so I attached it to my shelf. Slight oversight. Headphones sound baller considering I have them plugged directly into my sound card without an amplifier. Replacing my K701.

HotHamBoy

I have a legit question, and I want to be clear that I'm not trying to be a jerk. Can someone explain to me the whole "show off what you spent money on" thing? It feels like people see it as a point of pride, but how so? It's like celebrating materialism. I understand being excited about something you wanted and bought, but why would anyone else care about it?

Again, I really just want to understand.

I have a legit question, and I want to be clear that I'm not trying to be a jerk. Can someone explain to me the whole "show off what you spent money on" thing? It feels like people see it as a point of pride, but how so? It's like celebrating materialism. I understand being excited about something you wanted and bought, but why would anyone else care about it?

Honestly i like seeing other people's taste and what they find interesting to them.

Plus i bought so many things after seeing others post pictures of them that otherwise i wouldn't have tought of them.

I meen we buy games mostly. There are forums were forums were people post their new bought ferraris and mansions and other luxury stuff.

alexbull_uk

Wanted to get VR ready. I was originally just going to upgrade my GPU, but then I decided to do a whole new build instead, just keeping my SSD and HDD.

Went for an i7-6700K CPU, which you can't see in the picture.

I see a lot of things in this thread that I didn't know were out there. I discovered the Good Smile Nendoroid figures here and bought a Toon Link. I also saw someone post a TeeTurtle shirt that turned me onto that web store and I now own probably 10 of their designs.

For a lot of us, we maybe don't have friends who are into collecting stuff and this is our forum to show off neat finds and chat about them with fellow GAFers.

As for people just posting games, I always find it interesting to see which new releases people on here are buying, especially in the fall when every Tuesday seems to have 5+ options.

EDIT: On the topic of Good Smile figures...I desperately want a Red trainer figure but didn't discover them until after they were discontinued. Can't justify a $200 purchase on that.

AaronMT86

Personally, discovery. There's usually something I often discover here that someone picks up that looks interesting to me.

I/we like to spend money towards an hobby and share the loot?
And celebration of materialism?
So spending hard earned money toward your hobby and sharing it with like minded people is beingaterialist?
Plus at least for me nine of my friend not colleague share the same hobby so as a result my ongoing collection is pretty much something i can share on this thread..
For reference in italy the mind set of games being for kids/teenager only is REALLY strong..

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

You never did "show and tell" in class when you were a kid?

=)

Honestly i like seeing other people's taste and what they find interesting to them.

Plus i bought so many things after seeing others post pictures of them that otherwise i wouldn't have tought of them.

I meen we buy games mostly. There are forums were forums were people post their new bought ferraris and mansions and other luxury stuff.

I like this kind of threads because sometimes I get to discover some cool stuff that I'm also interested in.
Though sometimes I admit I'm annoyed, not by the type of things people post here, but when people post lots of huge photos, with a photo for every single item. I don't want to scroll the equivalent of 5-10 screens just to get through a single post.

Celcius

°Temp. member

I enjoy seeing the types of things that other people buy - it's interesting to see other peoples' interests. Sometimes I see something cool that I didn't know about and then I can go buy one too. Sometimes I'll post something I bought and then other people give props or have something interesting to say about it. But mostly I just like to see what other people are buying :)

Chorazin

EDIT: On the topic of Good Smile figures...I desperately want a Red trainer figure but didn't discover them until after they were discontinued. Can't justify a $200 purchase on that.

They're releasing him again as a Champion edition with the fully evolved starters, should be available from the US Pokemon Center the middle of this year.

Come hang out with the other Nendo fans! http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1049073

Nesther

Personally, discovery. There's usually something I often discover here that someone picks up that looks interesting to me.

Totally. Ever since I stumbled upon someone showing off a Junji Ito hardcover I used this thread as a place to see what cool stuff I could pick up.

Olengie

I like to share my pick ups with everybody and I enjoy looking at what others got. I might also buy what they got if it catches my fancy

Justinh

Personally, I'm cataloging all my new stuff to advertise to anyone who was planning on breaking into my apartment so I can have all my gaming stuff stolen again. (this is a joke. Please don't steal my stuff)

Seriously, though... it's kinda fun talking about shiny new toys and this is stuff I wouldn't really talk about in public (I don't know anyone who actually cares about stuff I like).

Also, these just arrived today.
My first physical copy of a PS4 game (I just bought this game digitally a couple days ago when I got my PS4). I got the guide because I like these hardcover books even if I don't use them as guides and I already had the ones for Dark Souls 1+2.

Hobestly I think its just interesting. I get to see alot of stuff I didn't even know existed for public consumption. Of course alot of if outside of games and tee's are outside of my acceptable price range but its still interesting none the less.

HotHamBoy

And celebration of materialism?
So spending hard earned money toward your hobby and sharing it with like minded people is beingaterialist?

Well, yeah, I mean kinda. Earning money can be hard, but spending it is easy. I have terrible buying habits, I'm a real bad impulse buyer and I have severe FOMO. It's not something I'm proud of. Sometimes I look around and I see all my stuff and I'm like, "What am I doing? Why am I wasting all this time and money on distractions and toys?" I don't think enjoying games and toys is bad or something, but I think it can get out of hand and threads like these can enable people. I'm probably projecting, but I think people buy stuff to fill a void or create a sense of identity, or a visual measure of wealth (however one personally defines wealth). Of course, I mean subconsciously. Western culture has been brainwashed by capitalism and we all buy into the lie that we need more stuff all the time. We create a need to justify a want. But it's never enough.

So I switched to digital, so I wouldn't see how much money I was spending on shit and neither would anyone else. On one hand, I feel better not having a bunch of stuff taking up space and being imbued with importance, but on the other hand it has made it that much easier to get away with buying shit I don't need.

Well, thank you guys for your honest answers. I'm not saying everyone is like me, but I do think a lot of people are in denial. I'm currently working through curbing my own addiction to buying shit, especially games.

Well, yeah, I mean kinda. Earning money can be hard, but spending it is easy. I have terrible buying habits, I'm a real bad impulse buyer and I have severe FOMO. It's not something I'm proud of. Sometimes I look around and I see all my stuff and I'm like, "What am I doing? Why am I wasting all this time and money on distractions and toys?" I don't think enjoying games and toys is bad or something, but I think it can get out of hand and threads like these can enable people. I'm probably projecting, but I think people buy stuff to fill a void or create a sense of identity, or a visual measure of wealth (however one personally defines wealth). Of course, I mean subconsciously. Western culture has been brainwashed by capitalism and we all buy into the lie that we need more stuff all the time. We create a need to justify a want. But it's never enough.

So I switched to digital, so I wouldn't see how much money I was spending on shit and neither would anyone else. On one hand, I feel better not having a bunch of stuff taking up space and being imbued with importance, but on the other hand it has made it that much easier to get away with buying shit I don't need.

Well, thank you guys for your honest answers. I'm not saying everyone is like me, but I do think a lot of people are in denial. I'm currently working through curbing my own addiction to buying shit, especially games.

Whats wrong with people spending their hard earned money on things they enjoy and wanting to show what they bought with other like minded people?

long quote
First of all no Need for excuses, we're grown'up, hell i can take some criticism..
That being said..
I understand your concerns but..
Basically you're feeling guilty because you spend money on your hobby..
Well if you ask me, don't..
You have One life and time aplenty to regret what you didn't do (or conversely did) ...
In your life you'll face so many hardship, tough decision and low moment that as a human being you DESERVE to be able to indulge in something that is yours and yours alone..
I earn a good wage (really good by italian standards) but the tradeoff? I live 900km away from my family, i'm often abroad (1 week every month as the bare minimum) and i have to say no to many things i want (eg a dog) because simply they would not fit my lifestyle..
I think i'm sacrificing already a lot, so frankly games/books/collectibles and stuff i can collect regardless of my "commitment" time-wise is a way for me to assert myself...
Maybe One day i'll tell myself that i should stop spending this much, but until then i'm fine :)

Chastten

Banned
Honestly, just like the Show Us Your Gaming Setup and Achievement-threads, I think some of it definitely comes from the desire to show off. You got something new/rare/expensive so you want to show it off, and since none of your real life friends are into this stuff, you do so on a related internet forum. It's materialistic for sure, but is it harmful? Nah.

Following these threads however, is mostly for inspiration. I like seeing what other people buy and occasionally it inspires me to buy said item. Obviously this isn't the case when you see populair game X or Y 20 times over on a page, but you often see stuff come by that's a little more exclusive.

The 27mm is real nice, but the AF is pretty poor. It's kinda an issue with the camera itself, but it seems worse than normal with it. Other then that, it's superb.

Im sure you know already but make sure your firmware is up to date. Most recent update for X-Pro1 is from Oct 2015. The XE-1 suffered from really slow AF until it was updated from the firmware it shipped with. Might be the same for the X-Pro1.

BIG pickup month for me, and also just became a Junior on GAF after years of lurking yesterday! Have loved these threads the most when I was lurking, and think it's kinda cool I've got plenty to share on my inaugural post! :D

Surface Pro, my first-ever high-end laptop -- i5 w/discrete nVidia GPU and 8GB of RAM.

Got a new 27" BenQ monitor in hopes of optimizing my image quality and response time balance in time for Street Fighter V! It's the RL2755HM. My old monitor had great response time but its IQ felt a bit washed out and dated -- it was a budget monitor from ViewSonic.

Gravity Rush Remastered, disc version via Amazon.

The Witness, digital on PS4 -- sadly not really my thing, after playing about 8 hours.

Chuck II's! Got the gray pair so I could wear them at my work -- since I like them so much, I'll order a second pair in green (favorite color) to wear on my days off in a few months.

New limited-time brew from one of my favorite local breweries -- grabbed a pack for Super Bowl 50 and had one last night -- it was tasty, but not my favorite.

Happy to join GAF at long last! And this was a very unusually heavy pickup month for me, I'm sure it'll just be a few items in the future months. :p

illusionary

GAME dropped their price on the Halo 5 collector's edition, so I've upgraded my copy for, effectively, about £3:

AuHZciQ.jpg

Alongside that, my SteelBook edition of CoD: Black Ops III arrived - I'm impressed by how attractive the case is, actually!

ZLoMEre.jpg

Chairhome

e8gbz47l.jpg

Went to the Distant Worlds concert in St. Petersburg, FL last night. Loved it. Got some nice merchandise too. Been wanting the Blu-ray for a while and it was $55 at the show so I'm happy. I recently picked up the Final Symphony Blu-ray also. Any other recommendations on good video game music Blu-rays?

Ecto311

FfjWxEPl.jpg

Got the sticker patch packs from the show in Denver last night. Greg behrendt was fantastic live and even gave me a hug when I told him I am "Jeremy" from the last walking the room Dave was bitching about.

Rudiano

Banned
Got my hands on the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 press kit :) comes with the game (promo disc usually for reviewers), double sided poster (seen in that near see through envelope), an awesome double side gold coin featuring Naruto and Sasuke and not forgetting the cool box, with signatures inside from the band KANA-BOON.

vLFe6Bo.jpg

TKzKzod.jpg

FVc7N7n.jpg

I1KMSfi.jpg

AmyS

Got my hands on the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 press kit :) comes with the game (promo disc usually for reviewers), double sided poster (seen in that near see through envelope), an awesome double side gold coin featuring Naruto and Sasuke and not forgetting the cool box, with signatures inside from the band KANA-BOON.

vLFe6Bo.jpg

TKzKzod.jpg

FVc7N7n.jpg

I1KMSfi.jpg

I admit, I feel off of Naruto a very long time ago, but this is one very cool, very fanservicey package that I can't help but admire.

Been thinking about picking up the new one, even if I'll be completely lost on the story. I dug the first two Ultimate Ninja Storm games for their gameplay and graphics, and this one looks to up those qualities to the next level... Might try to budget for it.

Friggz

24727649911_da34fd7080_o.jpg
24453478849_f0264b1dcb_o.jpg

Festool OF1010 router and accessories. Got this to better trim wood edging on the plywood for the bookcases and anything else.

24794863236_9bae3af0b2_o.jpg

Bosch 12v driver set. Got this to more easily get in tight places. Just arrived today.

24821122135_5d1caa1262_o.jpg

Some Narex rasps and a Veritas burnisher. The burnisher sharpens card scrapers, which helps with getting a smooth finish on wood.

24821122095_3d93e5d1c4_o.jpg

Veritas router plane. This gets you consistent grooves, helpful for fixed shelves, etc.

24821122085_bed0985234_o.jpg

Bessey F-clamps. Home Depot had a really good post-Christmas clearance on these.

24794863166_7d196598b3_o.jpg

More HD clearance. Bessey spring clamps, and two quick-release respirator masks. For my kids, when they want to help out in the shop. Also, another Incra T-rule (18").

24794863206_963bfac1c3_o.jpg

Fastenal container with a bunch of square (Robertson) drive screws. BIL works for them, so this is the gift that keeps on giving, the whole year round.

When I start the media storage build, I'll post about it over in the setups thread.

love all the wood working equipment. my wife got me a kapex ks 120 for xmas. love it. most precise miter saw ive ever touched.

is there a wood working OT?

Im sure you know already but make sure your firmware is up to date. Most recent update for X-Pro1 is from Oct 2015. The XE-1 suffered from really slow AF until it was updated from the firmware it shipped with. Might be the same for the X-Pro1.

Yup, I checked that out. It's not the most up to date, but it's only like one or two versions behind. The October update may help, but I doubt it.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I know how much you all despise anything branded Bose, but I picked up some Bose Quietcomfort QC 25's with ANC for my frequent commutes and study time.

I have to say, I was absolutely blown away wearing them for the first time on a loud intercity train a few days ago. It tunes out everything. The hum of the engine, the rattling of the steel, the rain on the windows, loud voices turn into inaudible whispers. All there is is just you and your music.

20160208_135551528_iovdsl6.jpg

Taker34

Banned
1/6 scale FO Hot Toys stormtrooper. Much wow, love it.
dsc_0102rdzwi.jpg

dsc_0103xhani.jpg

This must be my most spectacular piece of hardware so far. It's the PS4 prototype controller which came with early dev kits. Big shoutout to Borman for selling me this stunning controller. Words can't describe my joy, but I'm very happy right now, to say the least. :)
dsc_009605lun.jpg

dsc_0098gdz5l.jpg

dsc_0100idbmw.jpg

Work replaced all our old battery Magic Keyboards with the new Lightning ones. The switch being so shallow on them drives me NUTS, and makes it feel totally different from the old one. How do you like it so far?

Really? I love the new keys. When I upgraded to this my WPM bumped to 145 from 120-ish. It feels so good to the point that I don't mind using it over my mechanical.

Honestly, the only better keyboard in the game is the 2015 MacBook one.

love all the wood working equipment. my wife got me a kapex ks 120 for xmas. love it. most precise miter saw ive ever touched.

is there a wood working OT?

I don't know. I don't really fit in on the other side of the forum, so I never looked.

The Kapex is nice, but man is it pricey. There seem to be a growing number of dissatisfied users on the Festool forums, and those guys get the koolaid centrally infused. No doubt I'd take one if offered, though.

Top Bottom