• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2015 Awards

As long as witcher 3 didn't win I am happy. Good job gaf. Gameplay is what matters most and you picked a damn fine game to show that.

Amazing turn out this year. Great job on the whole thing as usual. Some of the genre categories confuse me (Zelda and her story are not the same genre in any dimension) but it's been like that for years.

Alucrid

Banned
thank you bloodborne. in retrospect i think my 9 & 10 would have been trails of cold steel and battlefront, sadly i didn't really play them until after my submission

The second weakest Souls game finally wins GAF's GOTY. Still a great game. I'm so glad that Until Dawn made it to the top 10 but I wish Fallout 4 ranked a lot lower.

I think, having read pretty much the entire GotY thread, that it differed enough from Souls for many people who weren't big Souls fans to love BB.

As it should be, Dark Souls 3 is coming this year. Let BB be its own thing.

JeTmAn81

GAF lovin dem Souls, good on ya.

How are the results tallied? Did someone have to enter lists into a database by hand or is there a post parser someone's written?

FirLocke

Got good taste, GAF. Didn't sit down and think about a list for 2015 GOTY, but it would've been a toss up between Bloodborne and Rocket League. Most played games by far for me.

Also, fantastic effort OP! Awesome work with all this data!

I would be happier with Undertale's position if fucking Rocket League wasn't higher. Also Fallout 4 making the top 10 is predictable, but still disappointing.

Overall, a very good list though; better than most others for sure.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
YES! SUCK IT GERALT!..
MGSV was robbed. ;_;
But hey I'm so happy to see Life is Strange this high on the list. GAF, you did not disappoint me. <3
zAEfWbk.gif

Steel

Banned
I would be happier with Undertale's position if fucking Rocket League wasn't higher. Also Fallout 4 making the top 10 is predictable, but still disappointing.

Overall, a very good list though; better than most others for sure.

What's wrong with rocket league?

Grover

Banned
im honestly surprised Rocket League is so high

i haven't played it yet, but i have been playing SSARPBC for years, great game

Sapientas

Awesome work and an excellent list. GAF, of course, has great taste. The top 10 proves how great this year was for this industry. I'm glad Bloodborne won so we can look funny.

Very good results. Last year was an exeptionally great year for games especially indie developers. The only exception being a lackluster performance from Nintendo. Basically the opposite of 2014 which was a pretty bad year in general with a great performance by Nintendo.

duckroll

So I'm looking through the genre rankings, and some weird stuff continues to stick out. I know it's all work in progress and stuff is being fixed, but why is Yakuza for example, considered "action" games, while Arkham Knight and Rise of the Tomb Raider considered "adventure" games? That just seems like an erroneous judgement call given that Arkham Knight and RotTR are mostly action driven, while Yakuza games have action portions but is heavily adventure-centric, with lots of exploration and side content which often does not involve... action.

Stuff like the division between "FPS" and "Shooter" is weird too. We have third person shooters, shmups, twin-stick shooters, etc all thrown under "Shooter", when it might make more sense to group all FPS and TPS games together since they have much more in common. And The Order being in "Advneture" rather than "Shooter" seems like a comical dig at the game being a walking simulator or something. Roflmao.

Great stuff this year, looks like I ended up with a pretty mainstream ballot with 7 games in the top 10. Thanks to Cheesemeister and timetokill for running this and extra thanks for including very easy to process parsed data! Here's some bonus material for those curious:

GAF Top 10 Affinity Winners (Algorithm is probably different from Cheesemeister's/timetokill's)

Single Issue Voters WINNERS (Only voted for one game)
1. Bloodborne (19)
2. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (17)
3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (4)
4. Splatoon (4)
5. Life Is Strange (3)
6. Super Mario Maker (3)
7. Until Dawn (3)
8. Rocket League (2)
9. Downwell (1)
10. Dying Light (1)
11. Grim Fandango Remastered (1)
12. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (1)
13. Xenoblade Chronicles X (1)​

Usage of common words in comments:

disappoint
1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (91)
2. Bloodborne (27)
3. Fallout 4 (24)
4. Batman: Arkham Knight (18)
5. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (13)
6. Xenoblade Chronicles X (11)
7. Life Is Strange (8)
8. Rise of the Tomb Raider (8)
9. Halo 5: Guardians (7)
10. Pillars of Eternity (6)​

masterpiece
1. Bloodborne (49)
2. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (22)
3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (14)
4. Ori and the Blind Forest (4)
5. Soma (2)
6. Fallout 4 (2)
7. The Order: 1886 (2)
8. Life Is Strange (2))​

jank
1. Fallout 4 (5)
2. Life Is Strange (2)
3. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (2)​

fresh
1. Splatoon (103)
2. Bloodborne (22)
3. Undertale (10)
4. Life Is Strange (9)
5. Rocket League (9)
6. Her Story (8)
7. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (8)
8. Until Dawn (8)
9. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (6)
10. Batman: Arkham Knight (5)​

robbed
1. Bloodborne (5)
2. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (1)
3. Cities: Skylines (1)
4. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (1)
5. Halo 5: Guardians (1)​

telltale (was kind of expecting LIS to win this somehow...)
1. Tales from the Borderlands: Episodes 2-5 (120)
2. Life Is Strange (63)
3. Until Dawn (15)
4. Game of Thrones: Episodes 2-5 (6)
5. King's Quest: Chapters I-II (2)
6. Blues and Bullets: Episode One (1)
7. Minecraft: Story Mode (1)
8. Her Story (1)​

surprise
1. Until Dawn (50)
2. Life Is Strange (39)
3. Undertale (36)
4. Rocket League (35)
5. Tales from the Borderlands: Episodes 2-5 (23)
6. Dying Light (22)
7. Splatoon (17)
8. Bloodborne (13)
9. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (12)
10. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege (9)​

Keep in mind the parsed data only includes the first line of the comment, and doesn't include write-ups separated from the parsed list. Let me know if you want to see more data that wasn't here, chances are I can dig it up!

Congrats to the Dynamic Duo for a new record!

Did not expect Life is Strange so high (or at least above Undertale).

Mine --> GAFs
1 --> 4
2 --> 31
3 --> 57
4 --> 54
5 --> 1
6 --> 55
7 --> 2
8 --> 243
9 --> 279
10 --> 155

Man, my list got WIERD after Geralt's Romp 3: More Plowing Edition; even my HMs were only mentioned by me.

I also didn't expect the two pile ups on the overall list too (1/2/4 and 54/55/57) either.

A few games got a bump up a notch from my voting. Feels good man.

Steel, you had 4 in roughly the same places I did, and therefore you're the only one I'm on the affinity list of. My wierd tri-furcated tastes strike again! :p

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192520253&postcount=2538
1. [PC] Undertale (RPG) = 12 points, 1 honorable mention
2. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Action) = 9 points
3. [NWU] Splatoon (Shooter) = 7 points
4. [PC] Pillars of Eternity (RPG) = 6 points
5. [XB1][PC] Ori and the Blind Forest (Platform) = 6 points
6. [PS3] Yakuza 5 (Action) = 5 points
7. [NWU] Super Mario Maker (Platform) = 4 points
8. [XB1][PS4][PC] Fallout 4 (RPG) = 4 points
9. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4] Destiny: The Taken King (FPS) = 4 points
10. [PC] Thea: The Awakening (Strategy) = 3 points

#1: I have it planned out to play this in 2020 once the fervor has died down ala the Portals.
#2: #FucKonami, especially cuz the game gets worse after release instead of better
#3: Still need to get a Wii U
#4: I keep passing this up due to chipping at the backlog as it's a big mentally-rigorous game, but I will play it soon.
#5: Maybe
#6: Not as big into this series as many are in my circles.
#7: Dunno, I seem to like it more as a concept than to actually myself play.
#8: Nah.
#9: Nah.
#10: I see this but only in passing. Will investrigate.

Trails in the Sky SC and Trails of Cold Steel not in the top 20?

Disappointed, but not unexpected :(

At least XSEED got a mention! :D

I fear those lights shining from arses making the games launch nearly back-to-back cost CS1 a good bit of votes. Them are some big damn games, and the OTs prove more are coming in to both all the time.

l2JI3LTWL0remLako.gif

Superb job as always on compiling and presenting the list. I really can't complain about the turnout; it was a great year for gaming. Splatoon over Mario Maker was also a pleasant result. Rocket League really deserved its spot, too.

I smile so damn much every time I see that gif. Soulsborne non-safe-and-sane PvP is some of the best out there.

Jigorath

Banned
Hey good picks GAF. Witcher 3 and Bloodborne are hands down the best games of this generation. And Until Dawn and Life is Strange made the top ten. Even better.

AdanVC

Fuck yes Splatoon beating Fallout 4 and winning Shooter of the Year. Amazing, amazing game. Tons of fun I can't get enough of it!

DarkFlame

Banned
Bloodborne is an amazing game. Personally my 2nd favourite this year after the Witcher ;)

I really wonder though,how can Witcher have lost to Bloodborne when GAF voted for Skyrim over Dark Souls at 2011. Doesn't make sense but whatever

Robiin

Robiin said:
My taste align with GAF as a whole really well. The only two from the top 10 I didn't vote for were MGSV (because I didn't particularly like it) and Undertale (which I have yet to play). All of my choices made top 20 on GAF's list, and three are the exact same spot.
Gaf (my choice)
1. Bloodborne (1st)
2. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (2nd)
3. Until Dawn (9th)
4. Super Mario Maker (10th)
5. Ori and the Blind Forest (12th)
6. Splatoon (6th)
7. Rocket League (4th)
8. Fallout 4 (7th)
9. Life is Strange (5th)
10. Yoshi's Woolly World (20th)
Yup, checks out. I am the GAF hivemind.

Melchiah

So I'm looking through the genre rankings, and some weird stuff continues to stick out. I know it's all work in progress and stuff is being fixed, but why is Yakuza for example, considered "action" games, while Arkham Knight and Rise of the Tomb Raider considered "adventure" games? That just seems like an erroneous judgement call given that Arkham Knight and RotTR are mostly action driven, while Yakuza games have action portions but is heavily adventure-centric, with lots of exploration and side content which often does not involve... action.

Stuff like the division between "FPS" and "Shooter" is weird too. We have third person shooters, shmups, twin-stick shooters, etc all thrown under "Shooter", when it might make more sense to group all FPS and TPS games together since they have much more in common. And The Order being in "Advneture" rather than "Shooter" seems like a comical dig at the game being a walking simulator or something. Roflmao.

Not to mention, that Bloodborne would fit the horror category as well.

lt519

Cheese not sure if it was on purpose but none of the games on the re-release list are in the Overall rankings. A game like Unchated Collection isn't in there but Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition is.

Now I don't feel so bad, other people actually voted for Bastion and Journey :)

Oh wow if you go into Game Stats you can see all the voters for each game and their ranking. You guys outdid yourselves Cheese and Time.

[3DS] SteamWorld Heist (Shooter) = 26 points, 4 honorable mentions
3. (3 points * 1 user) Adam Prime
4. (2 points * 4 users) GWX, Leon S. Kennedy, nckillthegrimace, ZombAid82
5. (2 points * 1 user) Olorin
6. (2 points * 3 users) DecoyOctopus, Hot Coldman, Santiako
8. (1 point * 4 users) AcademicSaucer, lt519, Majestad, Salty Catfish
9. (1 point * 2 users) Bananastand, QuixoticNeutral
10. (1 point * 1 user) grandjedi6

Don't worry Majestad I got your back!

Ultimadrago

Witcher 3 was robbed :p .

Just kidding,Bloodborne is an amazing game. Personally my 2nd favourite this year after the Witcher ;)

To quote my first post in the thread:

That was fast!

Edit: Witcher 3 is 2nd place, woo! Of course, it deserves First Place, but it has literally hundreds of GOTY awards already, so I'm satisfied with that.

Witcher 3 has gotten far beyond than its lion's share of recognition, so ain't even sweatin'. Good poll!

woopWOOP

Oh wow, didn't think Splatoon would be head and shoulders above other shooters.
My personal top 3 got in the GAF top 10, so I'm content :D

Big props for timetokill, Cheesemeister and Y2Kev for making this happen (and real fast too this year!)

Cheese not sure if it was on purpose but none of the games on the re-release list are in the Overall rankings. A game like Unchated Collection isn't in there but Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition is.

Re-releases aren't eligible for the overall list. Classifying each game as a re-release or not is sometimes a judgment call.

Splatoon was robbed, etc, etc.

Not a bad list, tho I'm usually never into AAA stuff congrats to the winners, tho I do still want to play Bloodborne. Glad to see Splatoon so high nonetheless.

God damn at Corpse Party: Blood Drive. I voted it for 4th so possibly only one other voted for it. Whats wrong with yall? :(

Good to see TriForce Heroes getting some, if not much recognition. Game deserves it.

BTW @Cheese/Kill/Whoever runs this: Will Life is Strange count for next year's GOTY voting due to the physical version coming out this (2016) year? If late ports like Shovel Knight get counted, then late physical releases should also be counted. Otherwise thats bias against physical goodness. :mad:

Zelda and Her Story the same genre? Yeah makes no sense. Also horror is not a game genre, it is a thematic choice. Might as well have best fantasy game, best sci-fi game and so on then. There are many different genres that are horror stories, Until Dawn and Resident Evil are not the same genre. Action/adventure is what most of those games you mentioned are, batman, tomb raider, Zelda, yakuza, MGSV I don't get why it's missing one of the biggest genres.

What a great game Bloodborne is, I find myself going back and forth between it and Witcher 3 frequently for the game I loved the most the past year. With some Talos Principle thrown in there (really, more people need to play Talos Principle). Fantastic year for games, such a turnaround from a sort of lackluster 2014... That did however deliver Bayonetta 2 and Wolfenstein TNO, which are awesome. I think it's all good, the industry is looking healthy as fuck.

Big thank you to the OP and everyone who organized the GOTY voting. It was a great experience to read that thread and now this one.

How my list fared:

1. The Witcher 3 (2)
2. Kerbal Space Program (39)
3. Undertale (8)
4. SOMA (22)
5. Cities: Skylines (21)
6. Life is Strange (5)
7. Just Cause 3 (60)
8. Grow Home (42)
9. Her Story (23)
10. Project CARS (73)

KSP is below The Order? What?

Also my affinity list:

1. Leb (105)
2. fastmower (104)
3. trh (101)
4. milena87 (99)
5. Makareu (93)
6. Par Score (87)
7. Angry Puppy (86)
8. Joeku (85)
9. iz.podpolja (84)
9. Zomba13 (84)

Azzanadra

There's something to be said about MGSV if despite its shortcoming, it still managed to nab number 3 in the poll. I expected it to be way lower with the amount of vitriol that gets thrown at it.

duckroll

As an experiment while discussing with some people about the genre categories, I decided to see what it would look like if we grouped together Action-Adventure games (by definition action games which also have adventure and exploration elements in them, which is most 3D action games these days). I also decided to see what it would look like if we grouped all FPS and TPS games together, rather than splitting them. The results are interesting because they show far less gaps in-between, and a more consistent representation of game types.

Action Adventure:
1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain = 1786 points, 35 honorable mentions
2. Batman: Arkham Knight = 531 points, 20 honorable mentions
3. Rise of the Tomb Raider = 326 points, 12 honorable mentions
4. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate = 302 points, 5 honorable mentions
5. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D = 222 points, 18 honorable mentions
6. Yakuza 5 = 200 points, 7 honorable mentions
7. Assassin's Creed Syndicate = 171 points, 6 honorable mentions
8. Axiom Verge = 164 points, 17 honorable mentions
9. Transformers: Devastation = 129 points, 12 honorable mentions
10. Grand Theft Auto V = 127 points, 10 honorable mentions

3D Shooters (FPS/TPS):
1. Splatoon = 997 points, 23 honorable mentions
2. Destiny: The Taken King = 283 points, 11 honorable mentions
3. Star Wars Battlefront = 228 points, 21 honorable mentions
4. Halo 5: Guardians = 226 points, 9 honorable mentions
5. Call of Duty: Black Ops III = 125 points, 7 honorable mentions
6. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood = 103 points, 11 honorable mentions
7. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege = 92 points, 2 honorable mentions
8. Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide = 28 points, 2 honorable mentions
9. Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair = 23 points, 2 honorable mentions
10. Borderlands: The Handsome Collection = 13 points, 3 honorable mentions

fastmower

Do you guys just hand tally how many affinity lists one appears on? I am on my phone and can't find any easy way to see how many people had me on their list.

Top Bottom