• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF gets a Prophet: Rumors about the E3 Nintendo Direct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darryl

Banned
Why would anyone reanimate Startropics of all IP's...

its a game set on an island. islands are perfect for a modern style game and get used very frequently because it's a fully contained environment - you can have near complete freedom and it doesn't come off weird when players get to the edges. it is also very easy to design large segments of terrain because all you need is trees and water. then it has the nintendo twist of parody, there's aliens, space ships, forgotten ruins, talking animals, whatever. the possible spins on a modern game from this IP are endless and i think the time would be ripe for a game like that. it could be a major seller.

Angry Fork

GAF is supposed to be better than this. The quality control on these Nintendo rumor threads jeopardizes any integrity. Who would believe these juvenile postings? Who would start a thread with any sincere conviction over it? It is the same formulaic made up drivel we see on other forums.

Thing is because gaf is such a popular 'insider' forum, one where devs post and look at, we've had instances where rumors from individuals turned out to be true. It's not really fair to say all rumor posts here are bullshit, we just have to wait and see.

linkboy

What are the chances Wii U can emulate 3DS? I mean it has two screen with one being touch. I think if they could bring in digital 3ds downloads to be playable on the Wii U they could have something. 3DS like most hand helds cramp the heck out of my hand so I would be all in for it.

Even if it could, Nintendo isn't going to do that. They would jeopardize 3DS sales.

Malio

OMG, I never played Star Tropics! I am gonna run home tonight and hope on the virtual console and snag it!@#!$

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Thing is because gaf is such a popular 'insider' forum, one where devs post and look at, we've had instances where rumors from individuals turned out to be true. It's not really fair to say all rumor posts here are bullshit, we just have to wait and see.

You're giving too much credit. Developers do not have access to this level of information across a company, they would only know their house. And NoA does not keep this level of detail either, even at certain senior levels their briefing schedule is not so far out. It could only come from senior NCL level to have so broad portfolio information and they don't talk unless its To The Pain, which is why thou never see Nintendo rumors at once with such scale actually be true.

At least, I never get invited to their poker nights :/

Hermii

rumors sound like absolute crap.

personally, i really hope retro are working on an original ip.
i just want to see what they're capable of coming up with.

An old barebone NES IP like this might as well be a new IP from a creativity standpoint. They can do pretty much what they want with it.

Mlatador

Banned
You know, I don't believe the rumor about Star Tropics U, but I would actually be ok with this, because it would be something "new". Something surpirsing. Whatever it is, I'll trust Retro.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
This is such total nonsense. The Zelda part tips it absolutely, as if some low level employee is going to know anything about what the shit a new Zelda coming in 2015 would entail. Everything is also suitably "its everything you ever wanted!!!!" vague.

I mean the very idea of Retro being plonked onto a fucking Startropics revival is so insane. Could start entirely new IP, but no, that 23 year old IP we never felt needed touching again is a prime fit for this talented studio!

illadelph

wait I just thought of something

wasn't Retro working on a Zelda title that got axed? Startropics could be a way of them making a Zelda game that doesn't carry the weight and pressure of being an actual Zelda title

dun dun duuunnnn

P90

wasn't Retro working on a Zelda title that got axed? Startropics could be a way of them making a Zelda game that doesn't carry the weight and pressure of being an actual Zelda title

dun dun duuunnnn

Going by the past few console Zeldas, it would be good if Retro would re-invent the series.

Nilaul

So the guys left naughty dog, to work in Retro in order to work on Star tropic?

If startropic was rebooted, I would imagine it to be an truly open world Tomb-raider with real tombs and dungeons. So we would be basically getting a true tombraider game.

I mean the very idea of Retro being plonked onto a fucking Startropics revival is so insane. Could start entirely new IP, but no, that 23 year old IP we never felt needed touching again is a prime fit for this talented studio!
If Star Tropics was revived by Retro, it may as well be an entirely new IP because they could pretty much do anything they want with it. I imagine it would kinda be Retro's take on Zelda, but on an island setting, but it could be anything kind of like how Kid Icarus Uprising got away with being an entirely different type on entity than the NES/GB games.

Volotaire

dun dun duuunnnn

Miyamoto said he wouldn't mind Retro working on a Zelda title. Now EAD is obviously working on the next one. But I could suspect that they could let Retro work on a later Zelda title for the latter half of the Wii U cycle as a smaller risk project to test the waters.

Of course this is assuming their next game is not going to get a sequel. Also, devlopiong a console Zelda on a Nintenedo scale outside Japan could be a logistical nioghtmare. The oracles and Minsh Cap were with Capcom, a Japanese developer, but it would be very hard with Retro.

I've never heard of this Retro was working on a 'Zelda title that got cancelled' rumor.

ozfunghi

This whole Startropics by Retro was just one of AceBandage's wet dreams, he kept repeating it and it basically became a meme of sorts. There has not been one actual rumor or indication that this could or would be the game Retro is actually developing.

Meelow

Banned
oh and why was that?

One certain member said he had insider info but wouldn't spill it, an other member claimed the member that had "insider info" told him but it turned out the guy was just lying and the insider info guy didn't tell him anything, which made it lock the thread.

Personally I don't think the thread should of been locked, I just think a mod should of warned them to stop it or there will be consequences.

Yeh didn't even realize what thread I was posting in anymore, just looking for Ninty ones.

Yep, this thread is good but it isn't as hype as the other thread was...

freddy

Banned
Is there any reason why you guys don't go make a "Nintendo Fans" community thread or something? Every time I read these threads for the last year or so I get the sense you all want a place to chat about nintendo things but you just keep banging your head against the wall trying to make individual topics into your homes. Maybe there's already one that exists..

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Is there any reason why you guys don't go make a "Nintendo Fans" community thread or something? Every time I read these threads for the last year or so I get the sense you all want a place to chat about nintnendo things but you just keep banging your head against the wall trying to make individual topics into your homes. Maybe there's already one that exists..
Oh man

Is there any reason why you guys don't go make a "Nintendo Fans" community thread or something? Every time I read these threads for the last year or so I get the sense you all want a place to chat about nintendo things but you just keep banging your head against the wall trying to make individual topics into your homes. Maybe there's already one that exists..

It must have been hard not to click this thread :x

freddy

Banned
It must have been hard not to click this thread :x

I click it because I like to read about Nintendo stuff now and then but it seems every time I do there's people saying they want a thread to chat in and it's been like that as long as I can remember, so I'm wondering why there isn't some type of thread where people who like Nintendo stuff can have some kind of home. Eventually the threads get locked as per forum rules and the cycle goes on.

Well that was more my question. it seems like people want one but there isn't one, so is it somehow against the rules for there to be one? Or one just hasn't been made yet?

emb

I've stared playing Star Tropics in anticipation of Retro's next masterpiece.

(lol, as if)

But I did really start playing it. I just got to chapter 3. So far I'm not all that impressed, but maybe it will grow on me...

I click it because I like to read about Nintendo stuff now and then but it seems every time I do there's people saying they want a thread to chat in and it's been like that as long as I can remember, so I'm wondering why there isn't some type of thread where people who like Nintendo stuff can have some kind of home. Eventually the threads get locked as per forum rules and the cycle goes on.

I'm sorry, it sounded like thread whining.

There are "Nintendo threads" like the monthly Nintendo Download thread but afaik EviLore and the mods don't want platform holder specific threads because they lead to isolated subcommunities. I haven't read any official statements though.

freddy

Banned

There are "Nintendo threads" like the monthly Nintendo Download thread but afaik EviLore and the mods don't want platform holder specific threads because they lead to isolated subcommunities. I haven't read any official statements though.

I thought isolated sub-communities was why the community board was created. And yeah I genuinely liked reading through those old Nintendo threads occasionally for some info that only community discussions from bored people can bring about. :p

Kacho

Yep this is correct. No more mega threads.

Alex

I'd like to see anything from Retro expect two things I see mentioned on here commonly:

Metroid Prime 4
GRITTY SHOOTAR GMAE TO FITE XBOX AND PLAYSTATION.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
$250 regular or $300 deluxe at least, or regular price but include some kind of great-game bundle maybe with some eshop credits

Lol, retailers here (EU) sell it for cheaper than that NOW and it's selling like shit

$100 cut or bust
so that retailers will cut another $30/$40 on top of that :p

ahm998

My crystal ball said :p

*Project Hammer.
*Retro game like star wars 1313 or Raven blade with new character.
*Wave Race U because last time it's release with Pikmin.
*Tech Demo for F-zero.
*Resident Evil Directed by Nintendo for first time.
*Metal Gear Collection + MGSV for Wii U.
*Smash 4 Trailer.
*Mario U release date+ trailer.
*Mario Kart U for this year.
*Secret Project Nintendo X Epic.
*No info for Yoshi or X,fire emblem.
*GTAV with exclusive content+DLC.

Jindujun

Neo Member
Wtf is Star Tropics and why do people want it so bad? God I hope that part is not true...poor retro :-/

Star Tropics is an old action adventure game from the NES era. Released in 1990 and got a sequel in 1994.
Why people want it so bad? Not a single clue. I havent heard anyone mention Star Tropics either as a remake or a new entry in the series until the Wii U was released

duality1123

Neo Member
The most annoying thing about this is that parts of it seem really good but its all pretty obvious stuff Mario U and Retro notwithstanding. Retroverse U sounds like it would be a mash up between super mario 64 and epic mickey (as in travelling through Mickey's history) something which would be pretty awesome; jumping into paintings ala 64 style maybe jumping between worlds, styles and time periods all at once.

Star Tropics I have no idea about but could be good and could try a few non-Zelda ideas.

Mario Kart honestly doesn't really bother me since I don't generally care for it either way. Zelda plus Super Smash not being released this year is... pretty fucking obvious so I have no idea why people are asking for Zelda and that.

X and YY coming 2014? what i expected obviously. Honestly I do understand that some of these decisions can change at the last minute and that but if that's the fact; WHY PUT YOURSELF ON THE BLOCK???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom