• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF gets a Prophet: Rumors about the E3 Nintendo Direct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
So how much does this guy have to get right to be spared? Are the announcements weighted? Like if he gets StarTropics right does that do more for his case than getting the Mario Kart bit right?

So how much does this guy have to get right to be spared? Are the announcements weighted? Like if he gets StarTropics right does that do more for his case than getting the Mario Kart bit right?
Wouldn't they all be announced around the same 1.5 hour timeframe?

I'd say getting something as left-field as Startropics right would be more noteworthy and harder to guess than the next Mario Kart being a rehash of the previous one.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Wtf is Star Tropics? Super Mario Retroverse U is the worst name I've ever heard, I agree with the person who said it sounds like a knockoff.

No way in hell this is real.

Frolow

Banned
axe_to_grindatu9o.gif

Will the execution be public?

About what I expected for Smash...though I still think it's early 2015. I liked MK7 so...we'll see if this is true. Rumors are fun.

Azure J

I honestly play through the game once a year. I love it way too much.

Same here, I'm actually overdue for a replay. It and Zoda's Revenge (as much of a downgrade as it was versus ST1) were probably in my first 10 games ever played and still get a lot of love from me.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I cant blame you for not knowing but go look up what star tropics is.

The point is.... why would Nintendo bother to revive an old franchise if a lot of people don't even know what the hell it is?

It certainly wouldn't be a "Wooooo helllll yeah!!!" for the "vast majority" like the guy said.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I tweeted at Jonathan Metts from Nintendo World Report that I really think we're building up a head of steam towards the Super Mario 2 universe coming back. I really do.

It's like all of the sudden this year it's an idea that's just popped up and I've never seen it brought up before. Maybe it's confirmatory bias. Hell, PROBABLY it's confirmatory bias. It just seems sometimes that so many people start talking about something in particular that it may have had a kernel of truth to it.

Jawmuncher

Talk about hype balloon deflation if Retros game turns out to be Star Tropics.

Agreed.
I'm trying to see what im missing about this game.
Reading the wiki and looking at the gameplay it sure doesnt look like something that needed to come back. What am I missing GAF?

clemenx

Banned
I don't get the problem with Star Tropics, unless you really hate the setting. For all intents and purposes it is a new IP.

Jawmuncher

I don't get the problem with Star Tropics, unless you really hate the setting. For all intents and purposes it is a new IP.

I don't hate it. I just can't figure out what the hell it really is.
Even after researching. I don'y even care about these rumors. I want to know what this game is.

Darryl

Banned
The point is.... why would Nintendo bother to revive an old franchise if a lot of people don't even know what the hell it is?

It certainly wouldn't be a "Wooooo helllll yeah!!!" for the "vast majority" like the guy said.

nintendo has a gameplay first thing. startropics could just be a skin wrapped around something completely unrelated. it might not be so much of a "we need a new startropics", but a "could we use wrap this gameplay we created inside of any of our existing worlds". startropics could fit an open-world style game or FPS easily. it could be an satirical take on realism

free publicity for reviving old franchises 2

Azure J

@Smiles: Well played.

I don't hate it. I just can't figure out what the hell it really is.
Even after researching. I don'y even care about these rumors. I want to know what this game is.

At another GAFfer's request a while back, I kinda did a series of posts on the forgotten franchise just for the sake of people playing LTTP.

Honestly, I'm just kinda reveling in the moment right here. People talking about this series again no matter how briefly or with whatever sentiments they may have towards it makes me happy since it's better than the non-reaction I'm used to when I tell folks that's one of my favorite games of all time.

I blame that on the game/franchise only releasing in the US/Europe back in the day though. :lol

ozfunghi

Was there EVER any indication that Retro would be doing Startropics before AceBannedAce started joking/begging for it? Ever?

rockx4

I've never played StarTropics, so I checked some youtube videos. It looks like a mish mash of Zelda 1 + Zelda 2. Am I wrong to assume this?

I guess "if" Retro was doing something with this, they could just turn it into a 3rd person action game. Maybe an uncharted or God of War type game? I'd probably be a bit disappointed if this does turn out to be their game.

Azure J

Was there EVER any indication that Retro would be doing Startropics before AceBannedAce started joking/begging for it? Ever?

None whatsoever. You can trust me since I'm a fan and I know no one was making noise for the series until fairly recently when I saw more StarTropics mentions popup in Nintendo GAF threads. Nothing big enough to be considered noise, but still enough to be considered.

I've never played StarTropics, so I checked some youtube videos. It looks like a mish mash of Zelda 1 + Zelda 2. Am I wrong to assume this?

Zelda 2 is actually the more apt comparison to make if you have to make an analogy to the Zelda games.

Bullza2o

I've been thinking the same. I've only found out about it today after watching on youtube. At first I thought it was a space aircraft game.

goomba

Banned
I've been on gaf since like 1999 and I never heard people asking retro to do star tropics. The only one I recall is Zelda.

Jawmuncher

Honestly, I'm just kinda reveling in the moment right here. People talking about this series again no matter how briefly or with whatever sentiments they may have towards it makes me happy since it's better than the non-reaction I'm used to when I tell folks that's one of my favorite games of all time.

I blame that on the game/franchise only releasing in the US/Europe back in the day though. :lol

Thank GOD you posted that.
You post fixed all the questions I had.

I share the same problem. What is it?

Read This
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34732072&postcount=20

Brofield

Hey, some rumours are better than no rumours. I need SOMETHING to sustain me till E3.

Though a public execution banning would be funny to witness.

As for Retroverse, I could see it happening. The Throwback Galaxy in SMG2 was received rather positively, and if anything Nintendo fans clamour for nostalgia. Rebooting classic 3D levels, having a 'Mario Generations' type game with all the memorable levels from the old games thrown into one, updated HD tech, switch form 2D to 3D, all that jazz.

And on the upside, no dual voice actors to write contracts over. Martinet through and through.

jmizzal

E3 rumors
Nintendo rumors at that, I didnt see anywhere that said how he got this info

StarTopics would make sense for Retro, if they cant do Zelda why not give them a western type Zelda game to bring into 3D

I would buy a Wii U for a new StarTropics game. That was one of the first games I bought with my own money and I fucking loved it. It might seem silly now but I loved that little world. It felt like an open world to me at the time. I remember getting locked into a rhythm in those dungeons and feeling so fucking awesome when I cleared one.

And the music was rad too. Listen to that cave music:

http://youtu.be/u5mK2SV7Dws

So dope.

This reads like it's so fake. It's almost all stuff that's been leaked already with a few details thrown in that are pretty much a lock anyway. I think Startropics is the only limb he went out on.

Rhapsody

Banned
I've always heard about StarTropics but never gone ahead and played it. I really should change that...
It's one of those games I always hear on GAF.

As for the rumors, sounds too far out there to me to be real. Anything believable sound like just safe bets.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The guy got balls though, saying that mods should contact him if they have any concerns or questions like that.

I suppose that gave him a bit more air of credibility? Hmmmm.

*sigh* These guys come out of the woodwork every E3 it seems. And they love targeting Nintendo fans in particular. This has so many traits of being a hoax, it's just annoying.

Let's see: The safe bets, the couple unlikely predictions (Star Tropics, Wart) to raise hopes, the "specific" vague info (Mario will be grand - who'd of thunk it?), the maybes and base covering when the predictions inevitably fail to materialize, and finally the attention-loving rush to respond to people. Gimme a break. If you are gonna hoax, come up with some better material.

...plus we all know Mario Kart is gonna be vs. Sonic. ;)

JohnB

What I have learned, reading this thread:

(A) There's a new 3D Mario game.
(B) There's a new Mario Kart game.
(C) Some footage of Super Smash Brothers will be shown soon.
(D) Retro Studio is working on an exclusive game.
(E) Anouma's doing a new Zelda.

My mind is blown; I'm shocked, so I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom