• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Mafia |OT8| Who wants to talk about Murders?

What shall El Topo's avatar be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Love to your wife. I have severe asthma myself and am recouping from bronchitis (which is not going so well, I'm afraid), so that's part of it at the moment. Easy enough to watch posts fly by when the kids want to be playing outside and I'm not allowed. :/ And my elder child has been homeschooling this past semester after his school closed (he goes to a new school in the fall, whew; it was hard, even though I'm used to teaching), so we can sit together. He works, I help, and I dick around on the internet (or, uh, actually work sometimes). Though today tempers were high and I had to keep shooing him away from the screen lest he learn all sorts of new words. I've been telling Mr. Monkey about the games so kiddo was trying to get a look and I was like... nah, man, work on your math here and don't worry about that gif.

Plus one of my research areas for my PhD is digital communities and interactions so it's sort of in my wheelhouse. Presenting some research next week, in fact!

Much appreciated sentiments, monkey :) Sorry to hear about your severe asthma, and the bronchitis, but at least you're recovering from one of those.

Unfortunately, asthma or bronchitis would be a more pleasant change of pace for Mrs Oreo and I, but everyone has their own struggles and ways around it.

If you ever write about Gafia, you should share that with the community. We want to know the dirt you're scooping on us >.>

you are all very strong and very beautiful and there are spoder hugs for you all

<3

gafia parents <3

dragi <3

monkiki <3

munmuns and mrs. munmuns <3

OUROBOLUS </3

acohrs

Screw you mum and dad, going to stay up late listening to angry, white, young, male muzak and make nothing of my life just to spite you

cabot

giphy.gif

BREXIT MAFIA
Strong, Stable Mafia in the Crab's interest.

• 17 Players
  • Not Bastard
  • All threads outside the main thread are locked during the Day phase
  • Minimum post limit for day phases applies
  • cabot's trauma, CzarTim's joy
  • 72-hour Days, 48-hour Nights to begin

1. Crab
2. *Splinter
3. backslashbunny [NEW]
4. Kalor
5. nin1000
6. Ouro
7. Kawl_USC
8. Poltergust
9. CCS
10. Zippedpinhead
11. rac
12. zeemumu
13. kingkitty
14. Flame_AC
15. batsnacks
16. Gorlak
17. Spoiled Milk [NEW]

sub. Faddy
sub. LaunchpadMcQ
sub. oreomunsta

blu_1495704600.png

Sign-ups will continue until deadline, and if it's above 17 players, allocation will be priority-based.

BREXIT ACHIEVED!

Role PMs are imminent.

The Game thread is HERE

roytheone

My four year old asked for a volcano story during bedtime today. The only one I could think of was the story of chief *splinter and the volcano of evil spirits

I hope you actually told your kid that story since I am the hero in it! I want to be the hero of your kid Zipped!

Wow, you mafia parents impress me :eek:

It seems like Retro is on top of everything, and monkey contributes so often to the games that I wonder where you make the time.

I'm married, no kids (though so have to take care of my wife often since she doesn't have great health), and am lucky enough to meet the 10 post minimum on some days.

My daughter (who is now four) refused to sleep in her bed for about a year and she's super stubborn (dunno where she gets it...) so none of the recommended solutions for dealing with it worked at all, and we tried everything. Finally I gave up until she could reason a little.

She's a beast. Amazing. But a beast.

Love to your wife. I have severe asthma myself and am recouping from bronchitis (which is not going so well, I'm afraid), so that's part of it at the moment. Easy enough to watch posts fly by when the kids want to be playing outside and I'm not allowed. :/ And my elder child has been homeschooling this past semester after his school closed (he goes to a new school in the fall, whew; it was hard, even though I'm used to teaching), so we can sit together. He works, I help, and I dick around on the internet (or, uh, actually work sometimes). Though today tempers were high and I had to keep shooing him away from the screen lest he learn all sorts of new words. I've been telling Mr. Monkey about the games so kiddo was trying to get a look and I was like... nah, man, work on your math here and don't worry about that gif.

Plus one of my research areas for my PhD is digital communities and interactions so it's sort of in my wheelhouse. Presenting some research next week, in fact!

I'm still in the early stages of learning to cope with it. I'm military and I've always had a hard time running; more specifically, the breathing part. It always comes out as a severe wheeze, and I've experienced it ever since I was a kid, but never got it checked out. I'm in Arizona and it's hot af here and it's been especially difficult to breathe just under normal circumstances lately. My trainer made me go to the doctor, and they did a methacholine thing, and it came back as positive. Just got an official diagnosis like...two days ago, although I knew already what the results would say.

It's kinda reassuring knowing that I actually have an explanation now, but it also sucks, because the Air Force is stopping me from certain things, and I haven't really learned to accept and cope with it just yet.

*wheeze*

Man, this all sounds bad :( My best wishes to all of you.

Swamped

Banned
I've been watching a Korean game show that mafia people might like called The Genius.

Korean celebrities meet once a week to compete in various games that test social/mental acuity.

There are excellent fan subs available here just scroll down, it's up to season 4 now:
http://bxrme.tumblr.com/

note seasons 1 and 2 had very famous starcraft progamers as contestants :O

Yeah, I enjoyed it! Especially S1 and S4.

Also, there was another similar korean show I wanted to watch but I can't remember the name

Swamped

Banned
Was it Society Game? It was done by the same team as The Genius.

No it wasn't that, although that sounds interesting too. I just remembered though, it was called Crime Scene! I think it's like a mock-muder-mystery-variety show? Anyway, should be fun.

Kalor

No it wasn't that, although that sounds interesting too. I just remembered though, it was called Crime Scene! I think it's like a mock-muder-mystery-variety show? Anyway, should be fun.

Crime Scene is fun. There's a bit of crossover with The Genius in terms of players.

RetroMG

It seems like Retro is on top of everything,

You're too kind. I have a very good group of fellow mods who do a lot of the heavy lifting. I mostly run the back-end and occasionally come out to shout at people.

Don't let Retro fool you. He had plenty of time on his hands. I've seen the streams where he is happily wasting is time playing wand of gamlen (or whatever that schlock is called)

:p

Hey, I played Wand of Gamelon BEFORE BabyMG was born. :p (It was Faces of Evil that I played after.)

My daughter (who is now four) refused to sleep in her bed for about a year and she's super stubborn (dunno where she gets it...) so none of the recommended solutions for dealing with it worked at all, and we tried everything. Finally I gave up until she could reason a little.

Yeah, I told WifeMG last night that I have a feeling that's what we're going to have to do.

Bowlie

Banned
While we're talking about The Genius and Crime Scene, it has just been announced that Jang Dongmin will come back as a guest in the next Crime Scene episode.

Thinking out loud here, but would it help to ask people to add activity level numbers when they apply to a mafia game?

I'd call myself a low activity player, since I can't post too frequently, and meeting quotas in anime mafia was difficult at times. I had to drop out of pizza mafia because I just could not keep up with high-activity players @_@

If everyone identified themselves as low, mid, or high activity when they sign up for a game, would that help with balancing games?

cabot

Thinking out loud here, but would it help to ask people to add activity level numbers when they apply to a mafia game?

I'd call myself a low activity player, since I can't post too frequently, and meeting quotas in anime mafia was difficult at times. I had to drop out of pizza mafia because I just could not keep up with high-activity players @_@

If everyone identified themselves as low, mid, or high activity when they sign up for a game, would that help with balancing games?

We did this before, as a sort of expectation for players signing up, though it's not really good as a solution for matching game lineups.

For instance, if you had a game that was mostly low to medium, i think a lot of people would get frustrated. I think just being aware of the active players and how many are in a single game would be the better shout.

Natiko

Banned
Yeah, I've kind of wondered if it would be worth trying to still run some games without the post requirement for those that can't keep up. I think having people post more is beneficial for me, but I feel bad about how many people I've seen drop compared to before.

Yeah, I've kind of wondered if it would be worth trying to still run some games without the post requirement for those that can't keep up. I think having people post more is beneficial for me, but I feel bad about how many people I've seen drop compared to before.
Are there more people dropping? Can we have statistics? *lights the spider signal*

It would be interesting to see a CAP on posts in a day phase. Would drive me crazy but make me think differently. Might encourage some to post more. I was thinking about us high activity folks drowning people out and the impact that has. :/ worse when high activity people are maybe all timezone aligned or if one of them is me and doesn't sleep.

I think there's no way to set a perfect game but experimenting is cool. In looking at the histories a little it seems there's been some of that as the games have evolved but I haven't looked at all of them.

What was the cap on it? Which game was that? Ima go read it.

Of Gods and Men. The gimmick of the game was that every day Gods would give two dictates which players would have to follow. One day had a 10 post limit as well as a double lynch.

It went about as badly as you'd expect for town.

Of Gods and Men. The gimmick of the game was that every day Gods would give two dictates which players would have to follow. One day had a 10 post limit as well as a double lynch.

It went about as badly as you'd expect for town.

Oh yeah that sounds horrible for so many reasons. I mean, fun-horrible, but YIKES.

I'm thinking maybe like... a cap around the average post count for regular folks - say, 45 day one? Cap lifted in the final two hours when things are crazy anyway? Maybe it increases a little every day, or every other day. I'm just spitballing here, but I think it could be interesting.

I think in the fullness of time, as I keep learning the community (unless you guys drive me out with pitchforks), I'd like to try designing a game, too.

Swamped

Banned
I've been talking about an FE Mafia game for a while now, and I think I'm getting somewhere with it! How do people feel about about a mapless game though? I know it's such a core mechanic in the video games but there are so many other interesting mechanics I can implement too. Also I'm really bad at photoshop type stuff so I want to avoid maps. (Unless someone volunteers to help?)

Ourobolus

Banned
I've been talking about an FE Mafia game for a while now, and I think I'm getting somewhere with it! How do people feel about about a mapless game though? I know it's such a core mechanic in the video games but there are so many other interesting mechanics I can implement too. Also I'm really bad at photoshop type stuff so I want to avoid maps. (Unless someone volunteers to help?)

You've got a bunch of people here that are good with that stuff - Kark, Blarg, Ynnny, etc.

SkyOdin

I wouldn't consider maps to be essential so long as the game is is built with a lot of love for the series. There are plenty of ways to make a game feel like FE without making it super complex mechanically.

We did this before, as a sort of expectation for players signing up, though it's not really good as a solution for matching game lineups.

For instance, if you had a game that was mostly low to medium, i think a lot of people would get frustrated. I think just being aware of the active players and how many are in a single game would be the better shout.

Yeah, that makes sense. At the end of the day, you can't really make a low activity player a high activity one, and those are just relative measures, anyway

Ty4on

Playing a light game on MU with a 50 post cap actually worked quite well. It does make posts bigger though.

Another thing that affects activity is number of players. Most main season tend to be 20+ players. That light game was 13 just players.

RetroMG

A couple of the mods have been talking for a while about reducing the average size of games. On average, Gafia games run somewhere between 20-25 players. This would reduce the games down to more like 15-20 players. What do people think about this?

EDIT: I should clarify that this has mostly been idle talk - no actual plans are in place.

Sophia

A couple of the mods have been talking for a while about reducing the average size of games. On average, Gafia games run somewhere between 20-25 players. This would reduce the games down to more like 15-20 players. What do people think about this?

EDIT: I should clarify that this has mostly been idle talk - no actual plans are in place.

I think I made my stance on this pretty clear, but I'm in favor of 15-20 as a regular player size. It offers more room for design options, keeps games of a relatively reasonable length, and generally makes it easier to remember who all is playing in the game.

Obvious exceptions for stuff like Love Boat, where two players work together, of course.

Sorian

Banned
I think we should by all means try to spread things out more. Large games have their place and I know that I primarily design large games but I could see us doing better always trying to run a medium as an option each season. I feel like we only see mediums as quick one offs in mid season but they always tend to be successful.

Sorian, Fat and Time should all have spec access.

I could definitely see some benefit in varying up the game sizes more.

Which game was that?! Lol

Volcano Island

(Technically shouldn't count due to how the game worked, I think the actual record is 6 in Woof 2)

Top Bottom