• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Hello watch aficionados!

I am a complete neophyte when it comes to watches.

But I recently learned about the Apollo 13 Silver Snoopy Award Omega Moonwatch and I'm kind of in love with it.

I know it's ridiculously expensive. But if you're only going to own one watch, might as well go big.

Any thoughts/guidance on acquiring a timepiece like this? Would the value of something like this hold over time? Things to think about before purchase?

It'd be a pretty damned big investment. Thanks in advance!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Hello watch aficionados!

I am a complete neophyte when it comes to watches.

But I recently learned about the Apollo 13 Silver Snoopy Award Omega Moonwatch and I'm kind of in love with it.

I know it's ridiculously expensive. But if you're only going to own one watch, might as well go big.

Any thoughts/guidance on acquiring a timepiece like this? Would the value of something like this hold over time? Things to think about before purchase?

It'd be a pretty damned big investment. Thanks in advance!

Here's the problem with the Silver Snoopy which was introduced last year.
It's a Limited Edition and long since been sold out. Demand went crazy and the price for it went waaaaaay above MSRP even before they started to ship to people.
(MSRP was about $6,100 and now it routinely sells for $12k+)

So it was definitely a good investment if you got one at the original price.
I'm sure values will ebb and flow but it should always be worth at the very least, what you pay for it. I KNEW I should have pre-ordered it.

So if you're looking for one, it'll need to be 2nd hand:
http://www.watchrecon.com/?query=silver+snoopy&last_days=0

What sucks is now the original Snoopy has skyrocketed in price.
http://www.fratellowatches.com/speedy-tuesday-omega-speedmaster-professional-snoopy/

Scalibur

Finally picked up my Submariner!
FBaVUYj.jpg

Oh boy just got the email from Nomos my Minimatik is ready and will be delivered soon... And I'm so glad I bought it immediately before the Brexit nonsense. Price has gone up by £410!!

pwack

Oh boy just got the email from Nomos my Minimatik is ready and will be delivered soon... And I'm so glad I bought it immediately before the Brexit nonsense. Price has gone up by £410!!

Once of my biggest complaints about NOMOS is how agressive they have been with price hikes in recent years. But congrats on the watch.

Rengoku

Had a layover in Frankfurt and managed to pick up one of these. I had been planning on getting either a Nomos Metro or one of the Neomatiks, but never found the right time to jump in. For the past year or so, prices went up (thanks to our shitty Canadian dollar), Neomatik 1st editions sold out before I could get to them, and shipping lead times on the online store were 6+ months for the models I wanted.

As luck would have it, work had me fly overseas, and I jumped at the opportunity to request a Frankfurt layover. Watch shopping was a great success. Found the Nomos Metro I wanted and for a substantial discount. Also got to try out some amazing Shawarma.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Rengoku, congratulations. Wonderful watch.

After wearing my SKX007 for the recent holidays, I carved in to another Seiko and ordered a SRPA21. looking forward to it.

In other news, both Sinns (EZM3 and UX) need to be serviced soon. not loking forward to a 400 EUR fee for each, but that is the tradeoff in buying such exotic tech.

mingo

Treated myself to a Hamilton

Here's the small but growing collection. Also have another Tag not pictured as it's damaged.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I recently caved in for a Zodiac vintage diver, and another (pre-)diver from Seiko from 1962.
Late in replying but I really do love those vintage Zodiac divers. Especially with white bezels.
The Silver Wave is awesome too!

Cool! I have an original 1974 Accutron Snorkel. I still hums and keeps great time. The only issue is that I cannot adjust the day.

http://i.imgur.com/9dchw5hh.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
These have always been super cool. I need to get one some day.

[quote="Scalibur, post: 215841595"]Finally picked up my Submariner!
Thanks! Only problem is that I can't stop thinking about my next watch.[/QUOTE]
Congrats, and yeah. that happens.

[quote="jimbobsmells, post: 217343289"]It's arrived:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/OkP89GFl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/x4mGErjl.jpg[/mg][/QUOTE]

So cool. I don't think it'd work on my wrist, but I love the way it looks.

[quote="Rengoku, post: 218087366"]Had a layover in Frankfurt and managed to pick up one of these. I had been planning on getting either a Nomos Metro or one of the Neomatiks, but never found the right time to jump in. For the past year or so, prices went up (thanks to our shitty Canadian dollar), Neomatik 1st editions sold out before I could get to them, and shipping lead times on the online store were 6+ months for the models I wanted.

As luck would have it, work had me fly overseas, and I jumped at the opportunity to request a Frankfurt layover. Watch shopping was a great success. Found the Nomos Metro I wanted and for a substantial discount. Also got to try out some amazing Shawarma.
[/QUOTE]

That Metro is so lovely. Great color, and pictures.

[quote="OnkelC, post: 218276228"]Rengoku, congratulations. Wonderful watch.

After wearing my SKX007 for the recent holidays, I carved in to another Seiko and ordered a SRPA21. looking forward to it.

In other news, both Sinns (EZM3 and UX) need to be serviced soon. not loking forward to a 400 EUR fee for each, but that is the tradeoff in buying such exotic tech.[/QUOTE]
I picked up the SRPA21 a month or so ago, whenever they first launched.
I absolutely love it and took it on my trip to Mexico a couple of weeks ago so it could get into it's natural habitat.

Rengoku

Truly gorgeous. Congrats!!! :)

That Metro is so lovely. Great color, and pictures.

Rengoku, congratulations. Wonderful watch.

In other news, both Sinns (EZM3 and UX) need to be serviced soon. not loking forward to a 400 EUR fee for each, but that is the tradeoff in buying such exotic tech.

Thanks guys! The one thing I learned with these domed-like watches is they're not easy to photograph. The reflections off the glass can get in the way sometimes, lol.

Onkel, you have some beautiful Sinn watches. If I had a longer layover, I would have carved out some time to visit the Sinn factory in Frankfurt. It hear its fantastic.

Has anyone ever got a watch via kickstarter? There are a couple I have me eye on, but never done a kickstarter before.

I picked up an MMT Ephemeris watch recently and had a pretty good experience. They shipped on time, and there were no additional charges. I think the key is to go with a manufacturer that has a good track record and history of successful kickstarters.

danowat

Banned
I picked up an MMT Ephemeris watch recently and had a pretty good experience. They shipped on time, and there were no additional charges. I think the key is to go with a manufacturer that has a good track record and history of successful kickstarters.

Cheers, been on the lookout for a Titanium auto diver watch with a ceramic bezel for a while, this one seems to fit the bill, for a decent price?

Seems to be a first KS, but looks pretty solid?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rossdavis/a-modern-take-on-the-classic-automatic-dive-watch/

Rengoku

Cheers, been on the lookout for a Titanium auto diver watch with a ceramic bezel for a while, this one seems to fit the bill, for a decent price?

Seems to be a first KS, but looks pretty solid?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rossdavis/a-modern-take-on-the-classic-automatic-dive-watch/

Looks pretty good, I don't really know much about the brand though.

Have you considered Steinhart? They're a German company that uses Swiss automatic movements. For a swiss made watch, they're actually quite affordable. Their Ocean series looks very similar to what you're looking at.

This is their Ocean Titanium 500 Premium
11990463_938564222853007_7357756763021744438_n.jpg

danowat

Banned
Looks pretty good, I don't really know much about the brand though.

Have you considered Steinhart? They're a German company that uses Swiss automatic movements. For a swiss made watch, they're actually quite affordable. Their Ocean series looks very similar to what you're looking at.

This is their Ocean Titanium 500 Premium
11990463_938564222853007_7357756763021744438_n.jpg

Yes, I have, I have also considered the Christopher Ward C60 Trident.

The one on KS is much, much cheaper than the Steinhart, for a similar spec, but like you say, the brand is unknown, it's a new brand.

mingo

bro fist, im wearing this jazzmaster right now.

Lol, seems a popular choice, was sold out a few places when I wanted to originally buy it. Was very lucky as it went on sale a few weeks later and saved quite a bit on the original price!

This looks weirdly futuristic. Love it!

Now you mention it... I see what you mean. A bit like Arnold Schwarzenegger with half human half cyborg face lol!

Hackbert

damn, lots of awesome watches. I feel poor in this thread ^^.
I felt like trying a smartwatch for the first time, but i dont want the piece to look like one. the fossils are great looking, but i tried the pebble round time.

i like the small size. Its fun to change the faces at will.

Man why do I have to keep coming across these random Casio watches of all things that I really like but are impossible to find. The latest:

The rainbow titanium (effect?) on the bezel is soooo cool. Has anyone ever seen anything like that on another watch?

That Red Bull tie-up was at least only released like a year ago. Unlike the last Casio I wanted, which was probably 20 years old at least, the Skywalker:

06ba44f48f79766fbdbd64208fcfd151.jpg

Are there any avenues beyond the obvious ebay for watches beyond the latest releases? Since these are Japanese watches I've also been checking Yahoo Auctions and Rakuten without much luck.

damn, lots of awesome watches. I feel poor in this thread ^^.
I felt like trying a smartwatch for the first time, but i dont want the piece to look like one. the fossils are great looking, but i tried the pebble round time.

i like the small size. Its fun to change the faces at will.

Is this the Fossil watch you were talking about?

I thought that one was pretty cool too. I like the added value of a few smartwatch/fitness tracker features without having an entirely digital face.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Why are Shinola's so pricey? They seem to use batteries and have quartz movements (the seconds hand doesn't sweep).

danowat

Banned
Why are Shinola's so pricey? They seem to use batteries and have quartz movements (the seconds hand doesn't sweep).

The same reason other brands are, they price them as to what they think people will pay, just look at the price of some of the quartz watches from the high end brands, couple of thousand for some of those.

On a different subject, can anyone recommend a Tag Monaco style watch that is reasonably priced?, preferable mecha-quartz or auto.

Silvergun

Neo Member
Some of my watches. The AP RO gets way to little use;

EDIT: Seems like I cant attach pictures. Doesn't really matter; was just an vintage AP RO 18K, Vintage Speedmaster and a vintage Heuer Autavia. :)

EDIT 2: sv.tinypic. com/r/2vnic90/9 - this should work. Notice the space between the dot and "com".

Some of my watches. The AP RO gets way to little use;

EDIT: Seems like I cant attach pictures. Doesn't really matter; was just an vintage AP RO 18K, Vintage Speedmaster and a vintage Heuer Autavia. :)

EDIT 2: sv.tinypic. com/r/2vnic90/9 - this should work. Notice the space between the dot and "com".

I like what I am seeing. Good stuff. We share the APRO/Heuer love ;)

Dangerous...I never really looked at watches and I haven't worn a watch in almost 4 years. I've also never bought a watch for myself and only wore watches that were gifted to me.

I went into a watch and jewelry store at the mall a few weeks ago just to browse around and see which time pieces looked good. I wouldn't have guessed that I would become really intrigued by several watches. Primarily, I hovered around Omega, IWC, and Nomos. I walked out there with nothing. However, the next day, I went back and got an Omega De Ville Prestige for the occasion when I need a dress watch. I also bought a black strap that I'm still waiting on from Omega.

... You think that'd be the end, but after trying on other watches, I kept coming back to the Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial. I ended up buying it today as well.

I blame all of this on this thread. All of you and your nice watches in display clearly did not help me.

But seriously, a lot of the watches here are amazing.

Since I'm working at home I'm not rocking watches nearly as much. Used to be a big thing to me. Now I mostly just wear a g-shock out of the house because I don't want to fuck up my nice ones, and I save the nice ones for date night with the wife.

Since I'm working at home I'm not rocking watches nearly as much. Used to be a big thing to me. Now I mostly just wear a g-shock out of the house because I don't want to fuck up my nice ones, and I save the nice ones for date night with the wife.

I'm in the same boat. I have been wearing my fitbit more when working out and save my nice watches for going out. But this thread is a good inspiration to keep all my watches in the rotation.

I'm thinking I'll do the same, save my nice watches for special occasions or going out. I also have some nice Seiko and Orient watches that I'll probably wear more often.

I blame this entire thread for my impulse buys in the last few weeks. I had 0 watches like 3 weeks ago. Now I have 5. Thanks Neogaf.

pwack

I'm in the same boat. I have been wearing my fitbit more when working out and save my nice watches for going out. But this thread is a good inspiration to keep all my watches in the rotation.

Wear it like you stole it!

In all seriousness, a watch with some wear on it is cooler than a watch that has been babied it's whole life.

ngower

Hi GAF,

I'm a grad student in the market for an automatic wristwatch as I don't bring my phone or laptop with me to campus while studying to limit distractions.

My budget is under $1000 and I prefer something with field/bauhaus styling and a sapphire dome (I tend to be a bit clumsy) that isn't overly dressy or divey (I have a simple style and I'd like to keep my watch utilitarian until I can afford additional watches).

While many have suggested entry level Seikos ($50-$150), I'm not a huge fan of their styling (809, 007, SARB, etc) and I especially want to avoid mineral domes. The Cocktail Time is a very pretty watch, but one which would look very out of place on my wrist most of the time. The Hamilton Field watches look gorgeous, and I'm inclined to the aesthetics of some of the German watches (Nomos, Stowa, etc) but there seems to be significant variation within models (the Field has about twenty variations alone at varying price ranges). I wonder if anyone might be able to help lean me towards the right direction? I've been doing quite a bit of research, but still have loads of questions and am trying to narrow down my options to fine-tune my research a bit more.

Thanks in advance.

pwack

Hi GAF,

I'm a grad student in the market for an automatic wristwatch as I don't bring my phone or laptop with me to campus while studying to limit distractions.

My budget is under $1000 and I prefer something with field/bauhaus styling and a sapphire dome (I tend to be a bit clumsy) that isn't overly dressy or divey (I have a simple style and I'd like to keep my watch utilitarian until I can afford additional watches).

While many have suggested entry level Seikos ($50-$150), I'm not a huge fan of their styling (809, 007, SARB, etc) and I especially want to avoid mineral domes. The Cocktail Time is a very pretty watch, but one which would look very out of place on my wrist most of the time. The Hamilton Field watches look gorgeous, and I'm inclined to the aesthetics of some of the German watches (Nomos, Stowa, etc) but there seems to be significant variation within models (the Field has about twenty variations alone at varying price ranges). I wonder if anyone might be able to help lean me towards the right direction? I've been doing quite a bit of research, but still have loads of questions and am trying to narrow down my options to fine-tune my research a bit more.

Thanks in advance.

Nomos will be out of your price range, but look at Laco, Stowa, or -- my favorite -- Jughans Max Bill.

For field watches -- I'd go with a Hamilton hand winder (cheaper, more true to form) or a Weiss field watch (which I just like), depending on price preference and wrist size.

To wit -- how big is your wrist?

Also, is there a reason you don't want quartz? I'd say a Max Bill quartz is a great bargain.

Also, an interesting mix for German/field watch aesthetics would be a Sinn 556, a Damasko DA36, or a Citizen PDM56. It you are worried about nicks and wear, the Damasko and the Citizen have hardened cases that will resist scratches and dings.

SI-278.jpg

DAMASKO_DA36_DIAL4-700x467.jpg

pmd29525001.jpg

ngower

Nomos will be out of your price range, but look at Laco, Stowa, or -- my favorite -- Jughans Max Bill.

For field watches -- I'd go with a Hamilton hand winder (cheaper, more true to form) or a Weiss field watch (which I just like), depending on price preference and wrist size.

To wit -- how big is your wrist?

Also, is there a reason you don't want quartz? I'd say a Max Bill quartz is a great bargain.

Also, an interesting mix for German/field watch aesthetics would be a Sinn 556, a Damasko DA36, or a Citizen PDM56. It you are worried about nicks and wear, the Damasko and the Citizen have hardened cases that will resist scratches and dings.

SI-278.jpg

DAMASKO_DA36_DIAL4-700x467.jpg

pmd29525001.jpg

I don't know my wrist measurements, but it's a fairly thin wrist so I'd stick with a 38-40mm.

I understand that Quartz are more accurate, but a mechanical just has aesthetic, functional and nostalgic appeal to me. A quartz watch is a quartz watch, if I can be curt.

It seems like the Hamiltion is probably the best I can do at a ~$300-500 range, but I've also heard some horror stories about getting them services (i.e. you basically buy a new watch if it fails, which some have done within a few years).

Took a peak at some of the German watches...looks like you expanded my horizons rather than limiting them haha.

danowat

Banned
Are you worried about buying microbrands?, there are quite a few that use Mecha-Quartz movements, which have the convenience of quartz and the look of mechanical.

If you are after Bauhaus style, I probably wouldn't look much further than the Junghans watches, the Max Bill is a lovely timepiece.

041-4462-0054ec6a0a4336a.jpg

The Junkers Bauhaus might work, you might even get an auto at your price range.

6060-5-3.jpg

Couple of microbrands

huckleberry11-1024x823.jpg

cache_22678181.jpg

pwack

A quartz watch is a quartz watch, if I can be curt.

It seems like the Hamiltion is probably the best I can do at a ~$300-500 range, but I've also heard some horror stories about getting them services (i.e. you basically buy a new watch if it fails, which some have done within a few years).

On quartz -- no issue being curt, but I'd like to challenge you conception. The notion of a quartz crystal oscillator keeping time in a way that was impossible for millennia prior is pretty cool. Also, check out this stuff:

http://watchesbysjx.com/2013/05/exp...nitive-proof-that-high-end-quartz-exists.html

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/sexy-robot-the-grand-seiko-quartz-sbgx061-with-caliber-9f

http://www.timelessluxwatches.com/reviews/not-just-quartz-grand-seiko-9f-movement

As to Hamiltons – you can get their field models (hand wind or auto) for $250-$400 via Amazon right now. The movements are all made ETA (part of the Hamilton/Swatch corporation, which also owns Omega, Blancpain, etc.), and will be as rock solid as possible. These are true workhorse movements. If something goes wrong, there will be plenty of new movements and parts for your watchmaker to use to fix or repair, and it should be relatively cheap.

Hi GAF,

Thanks in advance.

I saw something cool that could work, but it was ridiculously large, and I realised after posting ;)

Top Bottom