• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Lamel

Banned
So as a follow up to my post before, I decided to go with the blue seiko 5 flieger and added and aftermarket bracelet. The other options I posted seemed to be a bit too dressy. Really like how it ended up.

hP06eIE.jpg

Lamel

Banned
I think it looks weird with a bracelet

Yeah I know its unusual to have a flieger with a bracelet but I think the blue dial is complemented by the silver really well (looks nicer in person). I'll see how it wears for a couple weeks.

The other option was a brown leather strap but I couldn't find one I really liked at a reasonable price + during the summer that shit starts to stick.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So as a follow up to my post before, I decided to go with the blue seiko 5 flieger and added and aftermarket bracelet. The other options I posted seemed to be a bit too dressy. Really like how it ended up.

hP06eIE.jpg

I think it looks fine with a bracelet, it's just the endlink that's a bit off. With the proper curved endlink it'll flow better.
If you want that stock Seiko bracelet that goes with your model you can buy it here: http://www.chronograph.com/store/mli_viewItem.asp?idproduct=1517

Lamel

Banned
I think it looks fine with a bracelet, it's just the endlink that's a bit off. With the proper curved endlink it'll flow better.
If you want that stock Seiko bracelet that goes with your model you can buy it here: http://www.chronograph.com/store/mli_viewItem.asp?idproduct=1517

I actually have end links to make it flow smoother, but I need to file them down a bit to put them on. Will do it eventually I am just lazy for now heh.

And thanks for the link! I'll mull on it.

danowat

Banned
Sorry for the double post.

In the end I went for this, I just liked the simplicity of it, plus its got a Citizen-Miyota 8215 movement which is supposed to be pretty decent.

Gigandet-RED-BARON-II-Mens-Automatic-Aviator-Watch-Wrist-Watch-with-Analogue-Display-100m10atm-Water-Resistant-with-Date-display-Black-Leather-Strap-and-Black-Dial-G9-002-0-0.jpg

Krelian

Sorry for the double post.

In the end I went for this, I just liked the simplicity of it, plus its got a Citizen-Miyota 8215 movement which is supposed to be pretty decent.

Gigandet-RED-BARON-II-Mens-Automatic-Aviator-Watch-Wrist-Watch-with-Analogue-Display-100m10atm-Water-Resistant-with-Date-display-Black-Leather-Strap-and-Black-Dial-G9-002-0-0.jpg
I like the look of this watch. Looking around it seems to also exists in a nice looking blue version. The only problem I have is the case diameter of 46mm which is probably too big for my wrist. Could you take a photo of it once you're wearing it?

Lamel

Banned
Been really tempted to get a diver's watch recently but it just isn't in the budget. I knew I would get hooked on automatics once I started looking into it. Oh well, after my summer job I should have some extra cash, gonna decide between a Seiko SKX007 or an Orient Ray II. But for now I wait.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I like the look of this watch. Looking around it seems to also exists in a nice looking blue version. The only problem I have is the case diameter of 46mm which is probably too big for my wrist. Could you take a photo of it once you're wearing it?

If you don't mind the open heart, you might like this one at 42mm. This is the blue version but there are two other color options.

http://orientwatchusa.com/db0c004d
Out of stock here but can be found elsewhere like eBay for a cheaper.

I actually bought this very watch for a friend of mine. We'll see if she likes it otherwise I'll be flipping it.

Rimshot

I only have one watch, that I got in highschool:

So I feel it is about time to get something new, but I don't have that big of a budget these coming months. Is around 250 USD enough to get a nice automatic watch or will I just be throwing the money away buying automatic at that price range?

I only have one watch, that I got in highschool:

So I feel it is about time to get something new, but I don't have that big of a budget these coming months. Is around 250 USD enough to get a nice automatic watch or will I just be throwing the money away buying automatic at that price range?
You could get a decent Seiko, Orient, or Citizen automatic in that price range. Definitely not throwing money away.

Rimshot

Did you have a preference as to what type of watch you wanted? Dress, diver, etc ?

More of a dress watch, but one that can be used with most clothes. I like the clean looks of some of the watches that has been shown here. They have been way to expensive though :x

ultra7k

More of a dress watch, but one that can be used with most clothes. I like the clean looks of some of the watches that has been shown here. They have been way to expensive though :x

I'm somewhat partial to Orient as it was my first automatic watch, but it has been nothing short of being very good for it's price.

My brother has the sun and moon in rose gold http://orientwatchusa.com/collections/mens-watches/executive/et0t002s, and it is very nice. While the silver one is listed at $395 on the site, if you use the coupon code YOUTUBE30 it nets you 30% (~$276) off and they throw in a free watch as well, so there's that. Is that free watch worth an extra $26? Probably. Keep in mind the tier of free watches goes up as you buy a more expensive watch so there's that. Though if you don't want the free watch, there are other sites like longislandwatches where you might be able to get a better price for Orient watches.

I know you said you wanted more of a dress watch - and automatic, but I think the Citizen Nighthawk BJ7000-52E (Solar powered quartz...and because I don't know too much about Citizen...) is a real solid watch that looks far more expensive than it is. Doesn't really go well with suits, but it gives me a lot of joy! http://wornandwound.com/review/review-citizen-nighthawk/

For Seiko, I can't really comment as I haven't looked too much into their line up, save for the fact that the Seiko Cocktail Time seems to very popular, but slightly out of your requested price range. Maybe also look into the Seiko 5 line, (lots and lots of variation). See this link for a look at the line up dress styled Seiko 5's. http://www.watchsleuth.com/seiko5finder/search/?STYLE%5B%5D=Dress

Hope some of these put you on the right path to making a choice!

pwack

This sounds like it would be great for you:
MD-17226_20160329114548_aa21a44bb858a273.jpg

Price new will range from $290-330. Used $250ish.

Rimshot

Thank you all for the recommendations. I wish I had seen these before being too tired yesterday nigth and ordering a watch because I was tired of looking for one :x

This is the one I ended up going with:

I think there are still like 19 left of the white one as it seems to be a limited run:

http://vratislavia-watches.com/en/?page_id=7

But that Seiko that pwack recommended sure looks lovely *needs to stop spending money on a bike and get more watches* >.<;

Lamel

Banned
That's a nice looking watch. The only thing I'd say is that a simple white face with black strap is rather formal/dressy; brown is a bit more casual. That being said, it will still probably look good with most outfits.

Oh man I just discovered looking for rare g-shocks on yahoo auctions Japan, this is going to suck up a lot of time...

Also have you heard of this Casio Sky Walker watch? Gotta find one...

Rimshot

That's a nice looking watch. The only thing I'd say is that a simple white face with black strap is rather formal/dressy; brown is a bit more casual. That being said, it will still probably look good with most outfits.

I might just go with that suggestion, as I do like the look of brown leather straps :)

h3ro

Why did you post pictures of random watches?

Anyone have strap recommendations for the old model Seiko Black Monster?
It's fallen out of my rotation due to it's bulk and I'd like to bring it back with a new band or strap. Not a fan of the diving black rubber straps though.

Lamel

Banned
Why did you post pictures of random watches?

Anyone have strap recommendations for the old model Seiko Black Monster?
It's fallen out of my rotation due to it's bulk and I'd like to bring it back with a new band or strap. Not a fan of the diving black rubber straps though.

You could always go for a bond or other nato.

ultra7k

Just a few pieces from my humble collection of affordables.

In order:
Seiko SSB031
Citizen Nighthawk BJ7000-52E
Vostok Amphibia with bezel mod

MOK6K2N.jpg

ozTTBoN.jpg

x0MjLeh.jpg

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Just realized I never responded to some of you guys. Sorry!
Thread is been dead too long anyway.

Going by your purchase history I'm guessing that you love pillowcase watches?

Speaking of which, any opinions on the Seiko sumo?

I've grown to like them. At first glance I never liked the Turtle or 6105 Seikos, but after getting a 6105 in my hands everything changed.
I'm not a big Sumo fan though, something about the bezel bugs me. Might be the large font combined with how wide the bezel itself is. Everyone says they have great build quality though.

First, I love your vintage divers mate, both look fantastic, and really have personnality. Congrats!

The WAKMANN signage is most probably due to WAKMANN importing a FME design in the US/Latam market, and then signing it. (they do that on a few other brands, some breitling are signed wakmann at the bottom of the dial too).

What they did is import all pieces, put them together themselves, and add their branding.

The most interesting part of your timepiece (IMHO) is the bezel. That 2 tone acrylic and lumed (!!!) round piece gives to the watch a lot of personality (and reminds me of some great Squale designs).

Bravo, and here are a couple of pics of my Wakmann (that I probably posted already), on my wrist (with added beads bracelet for maximum fancyness):

Appreciate the kind words!
Interestingly enough, it was the bezel that most attracted me to the watch as well. Not just the 2 tone, but the shades of colors used looked so great to me. Combined with the sharp blue seconds hand I knew I had to get it. Luckily the price was super reasonable at less than $350.

That Wakmann is fantastic looking. I really like that bezel.
I'm still waiting to get just the right triple date Wakmann for myself. Likely towards the end of the year. Prices are starting to creep up so I better do it sooner rather than later.

I just picked up another vintage piece recently that I'm sending to get serviced soon. I'll try to post pictures in the thread this weekend of it.

bPod

I have an sport Seiko orange monster and I want to change the metallic band to an orange nylon strap. Is it tacky to have an orange strap with an orange face?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Just realized I never responded to some of you guys. Sorry!
Thread is been dead too long anyway.

I've grown to like them. At first glance I never liked the Turtle or 6105 Seikos, but after getting a 6105 in my hands everything changed.
I'm not a big Sumo fan though, something about the bezel bugs me. Might be the large font combined with how wide the bezel itself is. Everyone says they have great build quality though.

Yeah I kind of like the bigger case around the turtles better. Something about them are almost... cute. Definitely eyeing a turtle when I next buy a watch.

Suda51 rocking the goofy looking Giugiaro Seiko

suda51h4u6t.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beBx2st4iYs

How the hell did I miss a reissue of these coming out? Oh well, there's no way I'm paying a scalper $1000 to get one now. Would have been perfect to have one for $300-400. Shame.

What about this one? Misses the point by not being as weird?

I mean the draw of the ploprof style one is less that it's funky and more that Sigourney Weaver wore it in an iconic role. If she wore the one you posted then that's the one Suda51 would be wearing. So I think if the design does it for you then you should go for it. You're putting more thought into it than nerds like me that just want the Ripley watch :p

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Some recent and not so recent pickups.

Enicar Sherpa Guide with a rare blue dial and original bracelet
Late 60s

A couple of UK Timex Skindivers, blue and black
1969-1972 era

The bracelet isn't original to the watch but of the era.
The rubber is a NOS 60s tropic strap I picked up.

danowat

Banned
Sorry for the very tardy reply!!!

20160807_181444_zpsp3grr9dj.jpg

I also picked this up while I was in Bulgaria, I know people will shout me down because it's a replica, but to be honest, even if it didn't have a name on it I'd love it anyway, because it's a pretty well made piece of kit

20160807_181545_zps3egettft.jpg

20160807_181517_zpsssmf8pfh.jpg

20160807_181525_zpsqgbyrjyi.jpg

I've also decided on my next purchase, the Seiko Recraft snkn01, just love the retro style.

SNKN01.jpg

bPod

Has anyone used MassDrop? similar to Groupon

Think of getting this but not sure if they are legit

seiko-premier-automatic-white-dial-black-leather-men_s-watch-ssa245.jpg

with a brown strap instead of black

mingo

i'm gonna be recieving a bonus next month and want to buy another watch. Nothing too fancy or expensive, however i'm undecided between Hamilton or Tissot, i've narrowed it down to these 2

http://goldsmiths.co.uk/Hamilton-Open-Heart-Mens-Watch/p/17150211/

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Tissot-...=185ae49f058dfe7408303ff4738edbe4&fo_s=slisys

both are owned by the same group so i presume they are quite equal in build.

However, in you guys opinion which name is more "desirable"?

I get a 20% discount at Goldsmith through work.

danowat

Banned
i'm gonna be recieving a bonus next month and want to buy another watch. Nothing too fancy or expensive, however i'm undecided between Hamilton or Tissot, i've narrowed it down to these 2

http://goldsmiths.co.uk/Hamilton-Open-Heart-Mens-Watch/p/17150211/

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Tissot-...=185ae49f058dfe7408303ff4738edbe4&fo_s=slisys

both are owned by the same group so i presume they are quite equal in build.

However, in you guys opinion which name is more "desirable"?

I get a 20% discount at Goldsmith through work.

Out of those two particular models, I'd go for the Hamilton.

In terms of brand desirability, Tissot is probably more widely known, but Hamilton would probably get the nod in more discerning cycles!

Anyone familiar with Briston watches? really like the 70's acetate bezel....

clubmaster-sport-acetate-chronograph-tortoise-shell-blue-sunray-dial.jpg

Edit : Just had an Amazon flash deal come through for one of these for £70, I couldn't say no.....

3714019.jpg

Top Bottom