• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

I finally got my first (and probably only for a long time) "luxury" watch.
xS2glG0.jpg

I love it and wear it every day during the work week, but I've now been converted to dateless watches. Are there any sub-$1000 dateless dive watches with at least 200mm and without a black face and bezel.

The closest thing to what I want at this price range is a Steinhart Vintage One, but that has a black bezel and grey face.

Hey fellas. I got a nasty nick right in the center of my g-shock 5610. Been looking online to see how much it would cost to replace the mineral glass, but can't find anything helpful. The watch only cost about $180 so I don't want to spend a lot to get it fixed. Any idea what it might cost? or if there's some DIY fix I can do just to make the nick less noticeable?

Don't fix it, wear it as a badge of honor. I wore my classic G-Shock for years even after the outer plastic casing was shattered in a take down I was part of when I worked in a locked psych ward. G-Shocks should not look pretty.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Took some pics of a new vintage watch I picked up. Same old boring background setting, but it's all I got! haha
I'll get them uploaded and posted later.

I honestly can't make out what's happening. Either the spring bar locks in, or not, no?

I finally got my first (and probably only for a long time) "luxury" watch.
http://i.imgur.com/xS2glG0.jpg[IMG]

I love it and wear it every day during the work week, but I've now been converted to dateless watches.[/QUOTE]
Looks like class. Very cool!

[quote="Antiwhippy, post: 198195451"]Hey guys, anyone know if iwatchgallery on eBay is reputable?[/QUOTE]

No clue, but nothing about their profile seems that sketchy. Lots of good feedback.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
New pics, new watch.
Click to enlarge.

Neither I nor the previous owner know much about the watch. Lots of google searching only brings up one other model with the same name, but different style. So I haven't really seen anything else like it really.

It's signed, FME Electronique and is in a Wakmann case I presume.
Pre-quartz era electronic watch.

Pic before I polished the crystal.

After pics, though the deep scratches remain.

Some lume:

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Going by your purchase history I'm guessing that you love pillowcase watches?

Speaking of which, any opinions on the Seiko sumo?

New pics, new watch.
Click to enlarge.

Neither I nor the previous owner know much about the watch. Lots of google searching only brings up one other model with the same name, but different style. So I haven't really seen anything else like it really.

It's signed, FME Electronique and is in a Wakmann case I presume.
Pre-quartz era electronic watch.

Pic before I polished the crystal.

After pics, though the deep scratches remain.

Some lume:

First, I love your vintage divers mate, both look fantastic, and really have personnality. Congrats!

The WAKMANN signage is most probably due to WAKMANN importing a FME design in the US/Latam market, and then signing it. (they do that on a few other brands, some breitling are signed wakmann at the bottom of the dial too).

What they did is import all pieces, put them together themselves, and add their branding.

The most interesting part of your timepiece (IMHO) is the bezel. That 2 tone acrylic and lumed (!!!) round piece gives to the watch a lot of personality (and reminds me of some great Squale designs).

Bravo, and here are a couple of pics of my Wakmann (that I probably posted already), on my wrist (with added beads bracelet for maximum fancyness):

And Rolex is releasing another 39mm Explorer, this time with properly sized hands.

Is this a Trump joke? :D

I liked the number font better in the 80s. But it looks ok I guess.

By the way, just my humble opinion, but in 2 Baselworld, Patek went from 'the king of class' to 'fat over-priced garish watches'. I am speechless.

That said, I love the Tudor (who does everything right for a couple of years already) and I really find the new Heuer Monza lovely. The Omega CK2998 is, despite being another speedmaster cash in, really cool looking, and the Daytona is better than the current one.

Finally (and that's probably just me) I was far more into the models announced last year (remember the 3 new Oyster Perpetual? Or the new Tudor? Those were fantastic watches I really wanted right away, I don't feel that for any model of Basel 2016 :(...)

Slizz

Anyone have any experience with HMT watches? Manual winding Indian military watches, pretty clean looks and decently priced on the site I'm looking on.

nitewulf

Hey guys, this is my first time in this thread and I was hoping to get some advice.

I've never purchased a watch before, and lately, I've been itching to finally get one. I just don't know how to go about conducting my search.

I plan on wearing this watch in the hospital for the majority of my time.

I've looked at a few watches online over the past few days, and I fell in love with the look of the Stowa Antea. Based on looks alone, that would be my ideal pick, but I'm kinda iffy about spending ~$1000 on my very first watch. Maybe something more in the price range of $200-$400 right now. I do want something that's similar in looks though (white face, leather strap preferred) if I can't get the Stowa.

I've looked at a couple of different brands over the past few days that have some watches that are kinda similar looks-wise when compared to the Stowa:

-Skagen
-Daniel Wellington
-Rodina

I was just wondering if any of these brands are worth looking into, or if there are other options that are better.

I also don't know about what to look for as far as researching the "movement" of watches in general.

I'm honestly pretty clueless about all of this stuff, so any help is greatly appreciated. :)

this is also a decent alternative:
http://www.kentwang.com/bauhaus-watch.html

they are pretty well reviewed and its a common movement so should be easy to service.

Gotta admit I'm starting to long for Radiomir 512. Nice slim watch you can wear casual or dressed up. Plus an in house movement. But u get pushed away when I think of other watches i want for cheaper used, like a PO 2500.

It's a nice dressy watch. Can wear casually, too. I think you made a good choice if that's the price you wanted to pay.

So looks like Damon isn't wearing the TAG watch from the previous Bourne films:

jason-bourne-gun-image-179026.jpg

I've seen quite a few pics of the film, and he seems to be wearing a black watch. I even thought I saw what looked something like a G-Shock watch, but this pic doesn't look like one.

EDIT-Found a thread on the topic on WUS:

attachment.php

Could be an IWC chrono. It's definitely a chrono. Since IWC paid to have their watch in Legacy, maybe it seems likely they paid to have their watch in this one.

EDITx2-Well, now some are guessing it's TAG Heuer Formula 1 Chronograph with PVD.

NysGAF

I bought my first G-Shock back in October and I've just ordered another.

Satellite

At least some of me buying my first and second watch in over fifteen years is the fault of this thread. Keep it up!

Gray Matter

Hey GAF, I posted here before and you guys helped me out, so I'm back.

I had this

And I loved it, except I wasn't a big fan of the canvas strap. It was the perfect size, not too small, not too big, I like medium to small watches. Unfortunately I lost it this past weekend. It was a casual watch, I wore it everyday, everywhere.

This time around I want a little bit nicer, but nothing too much that feels that I'm trying too hard.

Any recs?

pwack

Hey GAF, I posted here before and you guys helped me out, so I'm back.

I had this

And I loved it, except I wasn't a big fan of the canvas strap. It was the perfect size, not too small, not too big, I like medium to small watches. Unfortunately I lost it this past weekend. It was a casual watch, I wore it everyday, everywhere.

This time around I want a little bit nicer, but nothing too much that feels that I'm trying too hard.

Any recs?

Three recs:

1) Buy the same watch and add a Seiko bracelet. Here's the official one for that model. http://www.chronograph.com/store/mli_viewItem.asp?idproduct=1517

2) Buy this slightly bigger, nicer version of the watch:
SNZG13, about $125 on Amazon.

3) Buy this even nicer version:
SARG009. Probably $350-375 from Amazon or Japanese importers.

Futureman

would there be an easy way to switch the watch band on a Komono watch? My GF got me one for Christmas... it's actually one that I picked out online, but I really don't like the band and thus haven't really worn it at all.

I just saw an article about Google creating easily changeable watchbands and reminded me.

pwack

would there be an easy way to switch the watch band on a Komono watch? My GF got me one for Christmas... it's actually one that I picked out online, but I really don't like the band and thus haven't really worn it at all.

I just saw an article about Google creating easily changeable watchbands and reminded me.

Yes, it is very easy. There is a springbar in the strap that connects to the "arms" (called lugs) on either side of the watch. You can get a cheap $5 tool that is essentially a mini fork to help you grab the springbar. You push one side of the springbar in and it slips the whole watch strap out. You then reverse the process with your new strap. Or you seat the springboard in, then thread a nato strap through them.

Tons and tons and tons of straps exists. Check amazon or Crown & Buckle for quick starts. Internet says you need a strap that is 20mm wide.

Lamel

Banned
Hey GAF, I already have a field watch (very similar to the hamilton khaki) and have been looking to get an entry level sporty watch now. My budget isn't extremely high (~$100-150 max, probably gonna have to be Seiko/Citizen/Orient). I particularly am looking for ideally a navy dial with a silver metal band. Don't particularly care for auto vs. quartz vs. mechanical, price and aesthetics right now trump those factors. ~40mm is probably my ideal diameter for the face. These are some that caught my eye but I wanted to get your suggestions on the quality of these and some others that are similar. Thanks!

81-Vealp5uL._UY550_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LRY60N4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0065ACSC2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

nib95

Banned
My Vejrhoj from Kickstarter finally arrived! Met the owner in Copenhagen before the product was even finalised, so great to know he's having so much success! Only reason we even sparked up a conversation randomly on the train, was because I complimented a prototype version he was wearing, which led on to us having an hour long conversation about watch design, Kickstarter and all sorts.

I bought my first G-Shock back in October and I've just ordered another.

Satellite

At least some of me buying my first and second watch in over fifteen years is the fault of this thread. Keep it up!

Goddamn I wish this watch was like, 10mm smaller.

I adore it but I tried it on and it looked comically large on me :/

Watch GAF help me out please! I want something in between my metal band edifice watch and my chunky ol g-shocks. Business casual, if you will. I really like something like a Timex Weekender, and dang they're so cheap I might as well pick one up!

But, I'm worried about the size. I'm trying to visualize 38mm and it just seems like it will be way too small for me. Does anyone know of a similar style watch, but bigger? More expensive would be ok too, there's a lot of room to increase that price and still be reasonable, if its accompanied by better quality.

Watch GAF help me out please! I want something in between my metal band edifice watch and my chunky ol g-shocks. Business casual, if you will. I really like something like a Timex Weekender, and dang they're so cheap I might as well pick one up!

But, I'm worried about the size. I'm trying to visualize 38mm and it just seems like it will be way too small for me. Does anyone know of a similar style watch, but bigger? More expensive would be ok too, there's a lot of room to increase that price and still be reasonable, if its accompanied by better quality.

It seems Seiko is the Simpsons of watches. Every situation has a Seiko that is suited for it.

I'd say the Seiko SNK or SNZG series. Though I don't know if the SNK comes in bigger sizes. The SNZG09K1 (other colours available) would get my pick though. Bigger but yet the same style. It is automatic.
For quartz I can recommend one that I have myself. The SNDA65/SNDA57. It is a chrono but it is very easy to read. It is also very easy to spice it up with a funky Nato strap.

My Vejrhoj from Kickstarter finally arrived! Met the owner in Copenhagen before the product was even finalised, so great to know he's having so much success! Only reason we even sparked up a conversation randomly on the train, was because I complimented a prototype version he was wearing, which led on to us having an hour long conversation about watch design, Kickstarter and all sorts.

Looks excelent. Glad the design is doing well.

Lamel

Banned

The Seiko 5 sport has already been mentioned, but you can try the timex expedition line as well; they have a lot of variety and are nicer than the weekender, usually ~$50.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YTYI2YO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HYUSWPE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Is it weird that my automatic Seiko SKX009J1 (made in Japan) gains at least a minute a day? I know it's normal for them to run a little fast, but I feel like I'm having to make adjustments pretty often. Is something like this expensive to fix?

pwack

Well, yeah, of course, but I just wondered with they were like in terms of the movement(s) they use.

I am after a reasonably priced aviator/pilot/sports watch, preferably an auto

Post a pic of the watch you were thinking of any people will give you some suggestions.

pwack

It seems Seiko is the Simpsons of watches. Every situation has a Seiko that is suited for it.

For quartz I can recommend one that I have myself. The SNDA65/SNDA57. It is a chrono but it is very easy to read. It is also very easy to spice it up with a funky Nato strap.

You could go for one of the Seiko Kinetic military watches. Around $135.

Top Bottom