• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

And it isn't a bad idea to check amazon for casio in general. G-Shock is nice to have fro branding but non G-Shocks are just as rugged.

I use a AE1000Was a beater at it has never let me down. And that's after heavy use of power tools.

Leynos

I found my father's old watch in a box in the garage recently, and had it serviced as it has been sitting there for at least 22 years. It's an automatic Caravelle from 1969 that had no band, and a scratched-up acrylic crystal. I had it cleaned up, serviced, new band put on, and a new crystal as well.

tmp_31492-IMG_20151123_142422203-2117139377.jpg

I like that it is small, and automatic, but I know next to nothing about it. I've looked online a bit, but there seems to be a dearth of information about these old Caravelles floating around. I have no delusions as to its value, and know that I've already spent more on it than it is worth, but I would like to know what model it is, who made the movement, etc.

Any help?

Edit: hope this image works.

pwack

I found my father's old watch in a box in the garage recently, and had it serviced as it has been sitting there for at least 22 years. It's an automatic Caravelle from 1969 that had no band, and a scratched-up acrylic crystal. I had it cleaned up, serviced, new band put on, and a new crystal as well.

9ircxwEvYNNPuGgQ9

I like that it is small, and automatic, but I know next to nothing about it. I've looked online a bit, but there seems to be a dearth of information about these old Caravelles floating around. I have no delusions as to its value, and know that I've already spent more on it than it is worth, but I would like to know what model it is, who made the movement, etc.

Any help?

At the moment, you watch appears to be a small blue question mark.

Almost every Stowa is beautiful.

I planned to buy this one this year,

1440147034_4.jpg

Antea390_werk2824_shop_800.jpg

but I spent the money in a pair of Kef LS50 speakers for what it will my new supreme Hi-Fi system.

But I'll buy that Stowa soon. It has to be mineeeeee.

f0rk

Almost every Stowa is beautiful.

I planned to buy this one this year,

1440147034_4.jpg

Antea390_werk2824_shop_800.jpg

but I spent the money in a pair of Kef LS50 speakers for what it will my new supreme Hi-Fi system.

But I'll buy that Stowa soon. It has to be mineeeeee.
I ordered exactly this one, should come tomorrow :)
Decided I'm not quite flush enough to buy a Nomos for no reason yet.

Maximo

Looking for advice as I am a first watch buyer amd have no bloody idea.

Looking for a casual but really nice watch for everyday use Im looking for something similar to these just with a silver face and not rose gold, also don't want to break the bank so any suggestions on certain or brands in general would be welcomed. Also from Australia if that helps with certain stores.

Akribos-XXIV-Classic-Mens-Sunray-Gunmetal-Dial-Leather-Strap-Watch-f7f17800-1b7a-49fa-b8a6-f672c4bcda42_600.jpg

August-Steiner-Mens-Austin-Ultra-Slim-Japanese-Quartz-Leather-Strap-Watch-086e1208-0c58-4e7a-a7d5-a454400b4cad_600.jpg

pwack

Looking for advice as I am a first watch buyer amd have no bloody idea.

Looking for a casual but really nice watch for everyday use Im looking for something similar to these just with a silver face and not rose gold, also don't want to break the bank so any suggestions on certain or brands in general would be welcomed. Also from Australia if that helps with certain stores.

Shoot us your actual price range and we can offer plenty of suggestions. Under $100? $200? 500? Above that?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
They are made in Germany now?

It looks fun!

Super cool to see it's a small size, 35mm are so scarce these days...

Oh, by the way, I continue exploration of fun vintage chronograph with a wacky wakmann from the early 70s:

So good.
I've been eyeing a few of the Wakmann panda triple dates like this but haven't bitten just yet.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wak...ved=0ahUKEwi4wZbHxMbJAhXJ7CYKHQAMAn8Q_AUICCgC

Lost sister of the one that was stolen from me.
couldn't resist...
http://www.artisandutemps.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/Copie%20de%20photoIMG_0721.png[/MG][/QUOTE]

Very nice. In addition to the Wakmann above I've been looking for a good Top Time or Sprint.

[quote="PjotrStroganov, post: 187456623"]Finally bought me a watch box.

[IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25761913/DSC02064.JPG[/MG]
[IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25761913/DSC02069.JPG[IMG]

Big and small, it all fits.:)[/QUOTE]

What? No pic after it's been filled? :)

mu cephei

I'm after a new watch (for Christmas) and I was hoping for some help. I previously had/ have a Rotary automatic, but the 'automatic' mechanism has broken twice now - I like to wear a watch all the time and it gets some rough use. So I'm not sure another automatic is sensible. I was thinking mechanical, but maybe they're not robust either? I might need to just go for a battery powered watch.

My max price is £300-350 tops. Preferably less! What are some good makes? And robust? I love the Stowa further up this page, but they don't appear available in the UK (also appear to be a little out of my price range!) But I suppose it is a dress watch and not the best choice. I can go for a more solid watch, as they can probably take more abuse?

I basically want a good quality watch that can take being bashed about a bit without needing over £100 repair every few years (I hope such a thing exists).

pwack

What do you guys think about this Seiko sgeh for $100 including shipping? Just looking for something clean.

Thinking of doing the Massdrop? Probably a good all-around quartz watch. Seiko stock images are horrible and don't show how well they look in real life. I like the black dial a touch better but the white seems nice too.

I'm after a new watch (for Christmas) and I was hoping for some help. I previously had/ have a Rotary automatic, but the 'automatic' mechanism has broken twice now - I like to wear a watch all the time and it gets some rough use. So I'm not sure another automatic is sensible. I was thinking mechanical, but maybe they're not robust either? I might need to just go for a battery powered watch.

My max price is £300-350 tops. Preferably less! What are some good makes? And robust? I love the Stowa further up this page, but they don't appear available in the UK (also appear to be a little out of my price range!) But I suppose it is a dress watch and not the best choice. I can go for a more solid watch, as they can probably take more abuse?

I basically want a good quality watch that can take being bashed about a bit without needing over £100 repair every few years (I hope such a thing exists).

You sound like a good candidate for Christopher Ward quartz watches. I'm on mobile but can posts links/pics soon.

EDIT:
If you like the idea of quartz, check out these:

All within your price range, and will go on sale here shortly in advance of the holiday. Other options if you have your heart set on quartz would be Citizen Eco-Drive watches, of which there are billions.

I will say though that for decades upon decades people wore mechanical watches in all situations -- literally in the trenches of war, etc. If you'd prefer a mechanical, grab a Seiko and enjoy it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Thinking of doing the Massdrop? Probably a good all-around quartz watch. Seiko stock images are horrible and don't show how well they look in real life. I like the black dial a touch better but the white seems nice too.

Yeah, thinking about the massdrop deal. Just want something clean and won't break the bank for now to replace my pebble which keeps on glitching out now.

Though I've also seen the previous Seiko Alpinist drop and I'm lusting after that HARD now.

mu cephei

You sound like a good candidate for Christopher Ward quartz watches. I'm on mobile but can posts links/pics soon.

EDIT:
If you like the idea of quartz, check out these:

All within your price range, and will go on sale here shortly in advance of the holiday. Other options if you have your heart set on quartz would be Citizen Eco-Drive watches, of which there are billions.

I will say though that for decades upon decades people wore mechanical watches in all situations -- literally in the trenches of war, etc. If you'd prefer a mechanical, grab a Seiko and enjoy it.

That's a good point about mechanical watches.
The top CW is rather nice, it's a possibility. I checked out Citizen Eco-Drive (I like the sound of these) and Seiko but they seem to be mostly steel/ metal straps, and I'm after leather/ cloth. The Seiko below is nice, whatever it is. Anyway I'll keep looking. Thanks!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, that looks great too. Looks like something that came from communist china instead of trying to be a swiss design.

I think I'll hop onto that seagull drop with the moonphase complication. Looks elegant and the moonphase complication adds some fun to the overall design.

Yeah, that looks great too. Looks like something that came from communist china instead of trying to be a swiss design.

I think I'll hop onto that seagull drop with the moonphase complication. Looks elegant and the moonphase complication adds some fun to the overall design.

Maybe, because it does? :D

Lovely Brietling Sprint above, great pick up.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Today I had a really great day... I went to this high-end watch store because I had never seen a Rolex in person (or any high-end watch for that matter), and they had the exact green Rolex Submariner that I was interested in (my favorite watch, also known as the Hulk Rolex). I tried it on and pictures online don't do it justice lol. Then I tried on the Omega Speedmaster moonwatch and discussed its history with the salesperson. After that, I wandered back over to look at the hulk Rolex some more. The sales person said that she could tell that I really liked the green one, so she gave me two free rolex books. I was expecting to be let down, but I was pleasantly surprised that it met/exceeded my expectations. I didn't want to buy anything today but it was tempting. They were asking $9050 for the hulk rolex and $5150 for the omega moonwatch.

A good wristwatch is basically the only piece of jewellery I will wear, don't like rings, earrings or necklaces.

So lately I have been wanting a new watch, problem for me is strap my wrists are 23cm thick (just over 9 inches) meaning a lot of watches just plain won't fit without adding links or swapping out the strap.

Lately I have taken an interest in Brera but the model of this I like the Dinamico has a step which is much too short.

Thinking of checking out what options they have for other models hich old it plus naturally looking at products from other makers.

D6AMIA6N

It's been fun, but I'm over flipping

This is pretty much it for me too. Joined WUS in 2011 and bought and sold up until this past summer. Flipping was fun while it lasted, but it lasted a little too long. If I have any advice for new watch hobbyists, I would say to go for your "Grail" from the beginning, and to make sure it is a timeless design.

I settled on a Tudor Heritage Black Bay in black. If I buy again in the future, it will be a Rolex Sub, another Tudor or an Omega.

Matticers

This question probably gets asked fairly often but I haven't seen it in the OP or recent pages so I'll ask anyway. But is there a consensus on good sites to buy watches from for good prices? I'd prefer to avoid ebay and potential fakes there.

I haven't bought a watch in about... 15-20 years now and I've been kind of wanting one. Thinking about going with a Seiko. Probably the SARB035 or something very similar. Amazon has it for about $300 which I assume is a good price but I figured maybe there are other good sites as well that I don't know about.

This question probably gets asked fairly often but I haven't seen it in the OP or recent pages so I'll ask anyway. But is there a consensus on good sites to buy watches from for good prices? I'd prefer to avoid ebay and potential fakes there.

I haven't bought a watch in about... 15-20 years now and I've been kind of wanting one. Thinking about going with a Seiko. Probably the SARB035 or something very similar. Amazon has it for about $300 which I assume is a good price but I figured maybe there are other good sites as well that I don't know about.

In that price range, I am usually looking on JomaShop, SeiyaJapan, Kohls (who sometimes have surprisingly good price) or MassDrop.

For used ones, usually from Yahoo Auctions Japan, watchuseek forums or highly rated eBay sellers as my last option.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.

My meager collection. The Freestyle I have had for 20 years now and keeps on going no matter what i put it through. The Saitek is about a year old and my first automatic, clear back also. The two Nautica are Christmas gifts from this year. Both divers watches, but the larger one is a screw down face and stopwatch. The Bulova was my Dads that his Parents gave him before shipping to Vietnam. The gold rectangle one with a speidel band was my great Grandfathers I think, I don't know much more about it. And just as clueless about the Fairco pocket watch.

pwack

For Seiko SARBs, Chino Watch (http://c-watch.co.jp), Higuchi, or Seiya are your best bet,

Celcius

°Temp. member

You may also want to check out watchrecon.com.

On a related note, is chrono24.com a reliable site?

CFMOORE!

Seagull is a big Chinese manufacturer with a quality between the Russian and the Japanese watches. Good bang for the buck. I love the 1963 Air Force:

i bought one of these probably like 6 years ago, i lost it and that sucks, someone here posted it then and that's how it caught my eye. i think it was from WUS that I ended up getting it, but can you provide a link to a reputable seller? i'd like to nab another. thanks!

hobart

Long time, guys... hope all is well.

Buddy of mine and I are now looking into Nomos Tangente 38s. I need a resale contact who is trustworthy and willing to make a deal.

PM me if required.

Hey guys, does anyone know if Orient will be manufacturing new Bambinos in Rose Gold or Cream Dials with the Roman numerals? I never got around to buying it last year, but now that I wear a suit a lot more often, I wanted to pick one up. It's a beautiful looking watch, but I can't find those two anywhere. eBay has the rose gold one for $300 which is absurd in comparison to the pricing of the other models.

Top Bottom